Mosquito Bites!!! Help!

mickeylove2

DIS Veteran
I took my girls camping this weekend and we are COVERED from head to toe in mosquito bites!!!!!! I am dying from the itch and I know they are too, I feel so bad for them. And before I start getting accused of being a bad parent, I sprayed us with bugspray and had a bonfire going (which I thought would keep the bugs away) and we had a couple of those citronella tiki torches around the tents, but we still got muched on like a buffet.

Can anyone suggest some tried and true remedies for the bites that we have now and also for future adventures so that this doesn't happen again. I will admit that we are not an outdoorsy family but we had so much fun, other than the bugs, that we want to do it again. TIA

try putting hydrocortisone on the bites and take benedryl to help with the itch. I hate mosquitos! They are supposed to be bad around here this year due to all the rain we had this spring:sad2:

I took my girls camping this weekend and we are COVERED from head to toe in mosquito bites!!!!!! I am dying from the itch and I know they are too, I feel so bad for them. And before I start getting accused of being a bad parent, I sprayed us with bugspray and had a bonfire going (which I thought would keep the bugs away) and we had a couple of those citronella tiki torches around the tents, but we still got muched on like a buffet.

Can anyone suggest some tried and true remedies for the bites that we have now and also for future adventures so that this doesn't happen again. I will admit that we are not an outdoorsy family but we had so much fun, other than the bugs, that we want to do it again. TIA

I know how you feel- Today & yesterday I've gotten bit by a mosquito that's hiding somewhere in my own house! :headache: I've been using this - http://www.armyuniverse.com/images/product_images/7731.jpg It helps somewhat.

If any of the bites get really bad - to the big and puffy stage, try this: get a hot washcloth, as hot as you can stand, and press it to the bite area. Keep the hot compress on the bite area until it almost feels a bit numb. (but don't burn yourself!).

I warn you, it will sting like beejeebers! But basically, the itching will go away for about 8 to 12 hours. I usually do this if I have a bad bite that's going to drive me crazy while I'm sleeping.

And I also agree about taking an oral antihistamine to reduce the reaction and the itch.

An ice cube on each bite will deaden the *poison* and the itching will stop. Ice the area until it's a little uncomfortable. The itching should stop as well as the swelling.

It's a great, fool proof, non medicated and CHEAP way to deal with itchy bites.

If any of the bites get really bad - to the big and puffy stage, try this: get a hot washcloth, as hot as you can stand, and press it to the bite area. Keep the hot compress on the bite area until it almost feels a bit numb. (but don't burn yourself!).

I warn you, it will sting like beejeebers! But basically, the itching will go away for about 8 to 12 hours. I usually do this if I have a bad bite that's going to drive me crazy while I'm sleeping.

And I also agree about taking an oral antihistamine to reduce the reaction and the itch.

With ice the itching will be gone and stay gone! You do have to do the same thing though, make sure to do it long enough for the area to almost feel uncomfortable.
I was really skeptical that this would work....and was thrilled when I discovered that it does the job!

I really have no advice for you other then Benedryl, which was mentioned! I am going to make a list of all these remedies though! Me, my DD and youngest son are like the mosquito buffet all the time! No matter what I do!!! It's terrible! DS has ended up with HUGELY swollen bites twice this year already, the first time his eye was swollen shut! Good luck! I hope everyone gets relief soon!

What my mom told me to do is to take your nail and make an X over the bite. I don't know how it works but it sure stops the itch. Maybe it's just mind over matter.

With ice the itching will be gone and stay gone! You do have to do the same thing though, make sure to do it long enough for the area to almost feel uncomfortable.
I was really skeptical that this would work....and was thrilled when I discovered that it does the job!

So this really works? Good to know!! :thumbsup2 We're having an overabundance of the little buggers this year too.. My poor Dson-in-law nearly got eaten alive opening their pool the other night and up here in the mountains? Forget it!!! It's so bad you don't even want to be outside - let alone go near the lake! :eek:

Next person to get bit, I'm going to suggest this home remedy and see what happens.. Thanks so much for sharing it..:goodvibes

Ok this may seem a little gross but whenever I get a mosquito bite, I scratch it open, then I put rubbing alcohol on it. It stings for a minute, but I have found that it helps.
But if that is not your thing, my mom bought me some hydrocortisone for when I get mosquito bites during my archaeology field school this summer. :goodvibes

So this really works? Good to know!! :thumbsup2 We're having an overabundance of the little buggers this year too.. My poor Dson-in-law nearly got eaten alive opening their pool the other night and up here in the mountains? Forget it!!! It's so bad you don't even want to be outside - let alone go near the lake! :eek:

Next person to get bit, I'm going to suggest this home remedy and see what happens.. Thanks so much for sharing it..:goodvibes

Yes, my oldest daughter is really allergic to the bites, and she puts ice on them and takes some benedryl and at least she can get to sleep! To keep them away I used Avon's skin so soft, like the smell and it seems to work. I also heard the new clip on works if you are sitting around talking, campfire, etc. If you are moving around a lot, heard it doesn't work as well.

Yes, my oldest daughter is really allergic to the bites, and she puts ice on them and takes some benedryl and at least she can get to sleep! To keep them away I used Avon's skin so soft, like the smell and it seems to work. I also heard the new clip on works if you are sitting around talking, campfire, etc. If you are moving around a lot, heard it doesn't work as well.

I can't use the Avon Skin So Soft - the smell of it gives me a migraine - but I was wondering if those clip on things work.. Might be good for the campfires..:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter