Mosaik & Westjet Airmiles toast!

I will canel the gold and go back to the reg airmiles card
the gold it $90 a yr the reg is $35 a year
its 1= $20

And how does flying out of BUF help those in Winnipeg or Saskatoon?

This.

I've had the MC for under 2 years, so approx 180 in fees, the taxes/fuel/airport fees for 4 tickets to Orlando approximately 500. In total I spent around 700 dollars for flights that would have cost 2400.

It was the cheap Westjet AM amounts that got me to order the card. Come July 31, 2008, I don't see myself needing this card any longer. 20% of 3000 is only 600, which means the flights have all just gone up 1000 Air Miles. That's a 70% increase on off season tickets.

Last year I did a calculation on points needed VS. the annual fees for holding the cards.

My assessment....what I would pay in fees would be the same cost as paying for a flight. Spread over the course of the couple of years it would take to accumulate enough miles/points for a free flight. So, don't bother with a card that charges an annual fee.

Well, I think it depends on how you do your purchasing and where. We have accumulated 2002 Airmiles since the November 07 statement. This is typical as we collect about 4000 a year or so. That was enough on the old pgm with mosaik to get 5 tix to Fla. every 20 months. It was well worth the yearly fee of ($90.00 ?)
But we charge everything to M/C and do alot of double dipping.
Even with the changes it will still be a benefit vs $3000.00 Cdn for 5 to fly from Hfx. to Orlando

we should all call in and cancel our mastercards.

Don't forget, it was an agreement with Westjet and M/C I think it could have been Westjet that backed out of the deal not M/C.
Since M/C has come out with another offer, I think Westjet may have decided it was costing too much money. Esp sinc ethey will still be a part of the pgm with the 20% off of regular a/m price for the destination. Remember, you will get 20% off a flight anywhere the majors in the program fly in the world. So when you want to fly to say Hawaii, you can save 20% there too now!
My knee jerk reaction was negative, but everything changes and it represents an increase of about 20% over the previous program, with more options on where to fly...

Last year I did a calculation on points needed VS. the annual fees for holding the cards.

My assessment....what I would pay in fees would be the same cost as paying for a flight. Spread over the course of the couple of years it would take to accumulate enough miles/points for a free flight. So, don't bother with a card that charges an annual fee.

I'm not sure how you arrived at that. Between January 2007 and today I have earned over 12,000 Airmiles and paid an annual fee of $90. Why would it take you couple of years to accumulate enough airmiles for a flight? :confused3

I just booked flights to Halifax for this summer. My gut reaction when I saw it was to switch to Avion. I then did some math, and it is really close. The advantage to the Airmiles though is the ability to concentrate your point collection on 1 program. So we think we will stick with it.

We are planners and don't go somewhere at the drop of a hat so we always book very early. We have never had a problem with availability.

But I like getting 1 AM = $15. I can use them for the resorts, US passes, car rental. Why would you want to cancel?:confused:

I just got a new Amex Platinum airmiles card and the annual fee is only $50, free supplementary card and still offer 1 Am / $15 spending.

I just got a new Amex Platinum airmiles card and the annual fee is only $50, free supplementary card and still offer 1 Am / $15 spending.

I saw this deal with Amex and it gave bonus airmiles after the first purchase. I'm interested but how widely accepted is Amex?

I think we may switch to the american express

heres a copy paste

The new American Express®* AIR MILES® Platinum Credit Card - the fastest way to earn AIR MILES® reward miles on a credit card!

Earn 50% MORE AIR MILES® reward miles! Earn 1 AIR MILES reward mile for every $10 in purchases charged to the Card at your favourite AIR MILES® Sponsors1.

Plus, earn 250 BONUS REWARD MILES2 THE FIRST TIME YOU USE THE CARD.
That's enough reward miles for movie passes or a gift card3.

Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at AIR MILES Sponsors. Learn more
Earn 1 reward mile for every $15 in Card purchases everywhere else you use the Card
Enjoy a 4.99% introductory balance transfer rate for the first 6 months of Card membership, 18.50% on purchases and 19.99% on funds advances, simply by making your minimum monthly payments on time*
Shop at AIR MILES Sponsors at more than 9,600 locations across Canada with your Card and show your AIR MILES® Collector Card to earn reward miles from both the Sponsor and American Express
Free Supplementary Cards
Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance4†
Purchase Protection®* Plan5†
Buyer's Assurance®* Protection Plan6†
Travel Accident Insurance7†
Front Of The Line®* Entertainment Access8
24/7 Customer service
$50 Annual Fee*

I'm not sure how you arrived at that. Between January 2007 and today I have earned over 12,000 Airmiles and paid an annual fee of $90. Why would it take you couple of years to accumulate enough airmiles for a flight? :confused3

Based on the amount that I charge to my current CC. I prefer to live a cash life style. Plus, it's the annual fees and the taxes that need to be paid to get the 'free' flight.

I think we may switch to the american express

heres a copy paste

The new American Express®* AIR MILES® Platinum Credit Card - the fastest way to earn AIR MILES® reward miles on a credit card!

Earn 50% MORE AIR MILES® reward miles! Earn 1 AIR MILES reward mile for every $10 in purchases charged to the Card at your favourite AIR MILES® Sponsors1.

Plus, earn 250 BONUS REWARD MILES2 THE FIRST TIME YOU USE THE CARD.
That's enough reward miles for movie passes or a gift card3.

Earn 1 reward mile for every $10 in Card purchases at AIR MILES Sponsors. Learn more
Earn 1 reward mile for every $15 in Card purchases everywhere else you use the Card
Enjoy a 4.99% introductory balance transfer rate for the first 6 months of Card membership, 18.50% on purchases and 19.99% on funds advances, simply by making your minimum monthly payments on time*
Shop at AIR MILES Sponsors at more than 9,600 locations across Canada with your Card and show your AIR MILES® Collector Card to earn reward miles from both the Sponsor and American Express
Free Supplementary Cards
Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance4†
Purchase Protection®* Plan5†
Buyer's Assurance®* Protection Plan6†
Travel Accident Insurance7†
Front Of The Line®* Entertainment Access8
24/7 Customer service
$50 Annual Fee*

Here is the new Mosaik gold:

Gold AIR MILES Reward Option

* Earn 1 AIR MILES reward mile for every $15 spent1
* Exclusive 20% discount on all AIR MILES reward miles flights worldwide and no blackout periods2
* Get 150 Bonus reward miles with your first card purchase3
* Earn 150 Bonus reward miles each month you spend $2,000 or more for the first 3 months you have the card4
* Earn Double reward miles at Shell locations in Canada (including Beaver, Turbo & Payless) up to a monthly maximum of $2,5005

National Car Rental benefits:

* Double reward miles6
* 15% discount off car rentals7
* FREE Emerald Club Membership8($75 value)
* $90 annual fee/$15 additional card fee

To pay the extra $40.00 for 20% off of the regular flight Airmiles may be worth it for some.

I used to be able to fly anywhere in Canada and in the US with WestJet for 1600 AirMiles using the BMO Mosaik MasterCard. NOT ANYMORE! WestJet, Airmiles and BMO Mosaik MasterCard have cancelled their agreement. Now BMO Mosaik gives a measily 20% discount on the regular number of
AirMiles you would need to fly anywhere. Therefore WestJet, Airmiles and BMO Mosaik MasterCard have just DOUBLED the 1600 AirMiles I needed to fly anywhere in Canada and the US. Why should I keep my Mosaik MasterCard? Why should I continue flying with WestJet? Why should I continue to collect
AirMiles? I am a single person with moderate income. There are MILLIONS of people like me! Cancelling the 1600 AirMiles offer is a STAB IN THE BACK for all of us who really needed this promotion and can't always afford to pay for regular airfares AND who don't spend enough to be able to accumulate
the 3200+ AirMiles it takes to fly even within Canada. So they have just lost MILLIONS of customers!

Wow... last thing I expecting to be doing after joining the boards was to be defending my workplace.

Some clarification:

1. First and foremost, this switch is a direct result of Westjet and Mosaik Mastercard no longer dealing with each other. Airmiles really had nothing to do with it, and trust me we're feeling the pain on this one as much as you guys are right now.

2. There are some advantages to the new deal as well... I wont really go into them though as they will not really effect Disney travel as much. If anyone really really really wants to know... PM me.

3. The new 20% dsicount is on all flights with all providers, partner or not. If airmiles can book it and you have a gold Mosaik you get the 20%.

That being said I do realize the disadvantages of it as well, especially as it concerns this particular community.

is there a web site/forum that is straightforward? I want to trade areoplan for airmiles but cannot find a website

is there a web site/forum that is straightforward? I want to trade areoplan for airmiles but cannot find a website

I am not aware of a website that will do a straight exchange. Ther may be one, your best bet may be to trade aeroplan to another, then back to Airmiles if possible.

I believe that you can trade frequent flyer points on www.points.com. If you sign up for an account via Aeroplan, you can get some bonus Aeroplan points. Essentially, you can post a trade offer, and if someone accepts, then you proceed. I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter