morning coffee at the campsite

Best way to brew morning coffee at campsite

• Total voters
I'm not a coffee drinker (I get my caffeine out of a diet Coke can) but I peeked at the results of the survey thus far.

Interesting.

Carry on.

Bama Ed

PS - however, I have tasted coffee in the past. Recently I tried a Guinness which LOOKED fabulous in the glass but tasted like a coffee-flavored beer. Never had a Guinness before. Won't ever again. Guess I'm not a coffee guy - although I love the aroma of coffee in the morning around the campsite. Just not the taste.

We started off using a coffee machine. It was nice to set the timer and wake up to the coffee already made (though purists would say only use cold water for your machine). I really wanted a percolator as I grew up with one (parents used) and I wanted something to make strong coffee over the fire. I got one at Bass Pro Shops and haven't used it except in the camper so far. My DW was skeptical but now wants to get one for home (we usually use the Keurig at home as we each just have one cup and I usually wake up with 15 min before I have to go to work lol

I will say that the "Experts" would advise "Against" using a percolator as it tends to "Burn" the coffee and/or make it bitter. Because you are (essentially) boiling the water to "Perc" up through a tube, filter down through the grounds. Subsequent "Percs" are now coffee infused water so heating it to boiling "Burns" the coffee. Personally, I am not that much of a coffee aficionado to be bothered by it. I like "Perc'd" coffee just the same.

I will say that the "Experts" would advise "Against" using a percolator as it tends to "Burn" the coffee and/or make it bitter. Because you are (essentially) boiling the water to "Perc" up through a tube, filter down through the grounds. Subsequent "Percs" are now coffee infused water so heating it to boiling "Burns" the coffee. Personally, I am not that much of a coffee aficionado to be bothered by it. I like "Perc'd" coffee just the same.

You know burning, aka using a perculator isnt a problem on mt Everest (the real one). I think water boils at 190 up there.

It's a tradition when camping at the Fort to have a cup of Joe when walking the pups around the loop!!!!!!!!!!!!

84 Days 6 hours and 2 minutes ........... and counting :mickeyjum

French press

We don't like our coffee sitting in the grounds as to us it makes it bitter - so we nixed the french press after one use. We also don't like Starbucks as it tastes burned - have had others agree with us on that one. Yes, we are very particular when it comes to our coffee - LOL - and I know it's to each their own! :D

Bought a French press after having the coffee at Kona Café that uses one. Will have to remember to bring that along.
I like French Pressed coffee too, however, if you have High Cholesterol and/or you drink enough coffee regularly, you better be careful with the French Press. I had made MANY modifications in my diet to get off of my medicines (High BP, Elevated Cholesterol, Type 2 Diabetes) and much of it revolved around eating right (More natural, less sugar/carbs, etc...), exercising more and just living better. Things were going well except my cholesterol went up. I found out after the fact about Cafestol and how it can really impact your cholesterol. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm

So just be careful if it's a concern.

We don't like our coffee sitting in the grounds as to us it makes it bitter - so we nixed the french press after one use. We also don't like Starbucks as it tastes burned - have had others agree with us on that one. Yes, we are very particular when it comes to our coffee - LOL - and I know it's to each their own! :D
I understand what you mean about bitter coffee. That said, however, grounds sitting in the coffee in and of itself will not make it bitter. "Experts" will tell you to add a dash of salt to the coffee and it will remove a bitter taste. It's true, but then you may (or may not) have a concern about salt levels. In either case what makes the coffee "Bitter" more than anything else is the quality of the water. Hard water makes bitter coffee. Period. No doubt about it. The harder, the more bitter. If you have an RO (Reverse Osmosis) filter and a descaled coffee pot, you will definitely notice a difference. The salt trick works because it actually takes the "Hardness" out of the water (really it's an ION exchange process). I know all this because I used to sell water systems in a previous life. Salt is actually how the clean water softeners too.

So if you can filter your water before a french press is used, it's better. Lastly, experts will also tell you that you should only allow your grounds to steep in the water for about 2 minutes, press it (slowly - take upwards of a minute), and pour immediately and consume. Don't let it sit in the grounds. Me, I have a larger French press (can do about 40 ounces at a time) that I use. I still run it through a paper filter though because of the whole cholesterol issue (above). (I do this at work because I don't have access to a coffee pot, but I do have access to hot water and it's much easier to press and pour it through an over the cup paper filter.)

Grind and brew, set it up at night, and coffee as soon as I get out of bed. Kona is my fav blend

When I'm camping, I generally like cheap and easy (ok, maybe even when I'm not camping). I have a $10 Mr Coffee. No timer, just one button. My DS makes coffee in the morning and DW uses it to make tea for iced tea. One thing I did learn about it. Running the A/C, microwave, water heater on electric AND the Mr Coffee adds up to more than 30 amps.

j

We use a French Press...amazing coffee! Hubby has boiled water in the electric kettle for his instant oatmeal already, so it's quick and delicious. On mornings that we aren't going into a park, we take our time and walk to Meadow Trading Post with our ancient refillable mugs to pick up coffee and sit out by the pond to drink it. We bought the Fort Wilderness refillable mugs at least 15 years ago, and they still give us free drinks in them, though it is a bit harder with the new chip machines.

At home we use K cups for quick morning coffee. Bunn Dripp Coffee Maker (with Dunkin Donuts fresh ground beans) for most mornings. Love, the French Press with KONA coffee from Polynesian for special lay-back type mornings.

We have tried many coffee makers and coffee types over the years in our motorhome. We now use and love our electric percolator when camping. Nothing beats the sound and smell of fresh coffee being made in the percolator. The taste is great too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter