More trip insurance questions....

jdm

DIS Veteran
We are going on the Feb 13th Wonder and although I made the reservation a while ago, I just emailed DU about adding the trip insurance. They quoted me a price of $200 (family of 4) for the four night cruise. I did go to insuremytrip.com to try to do a comparison and found it extremely confusing. It seems that all other insurance was much higher than the $200. This was surprising to me as it seems I've read on the boards that Disney insurance was on the high end. I also just read another post where the poster made an offhand comment about paying $200 for a 3 week trip...... Could someone tell me if $200 sounds reasonable for a 4 night cruise? I am really not getting it.... ( not meaning the insurance, but the concepts:~)

Thanks,
Jenn

If you have AAA, you can get insurance through Access America. I paid less than $100.00 for 3 people for 8 days. I have also used insuremytrip.com and I took the CSA Silver package and paid about $130-140.00 for 3 people for 8 days.

We were the 3 week trip people who got the insurance for the "$200 some odd dollars" for 3 weeks.....it was $230 if I remember correctly to have an exact amount for my DH and I. They way it works is www.accessamerica.com will ask you for the dollar amount cost of your trip, plus the amount and age of your travellers. The cost of insurance takes into account both of those factors....for instance, DH costs more than I do to insure (I have to get that in!!!) because he is in the "next" age catogory (I think they do 25-34, 35-44, etc). Then when they give you a quote, they will give you a choice bewteen a comprehensive plan and a more basic plan....the comprehensive offers more coverage for medicals, delayed bags, etc We opted for the basic. I also called their 800 number a few times for clarification on their coverages, and they were pretty helpful even before I booked. So, get on the site, see what comes up and call them if you have any questions!

We are also on the 2/13/05 Wonder. I just got a quote from the accessamerica.com site for $189 for four of us (two adults and two 17 year olds). Seems a little high to me for a four-day cruise, but it's probably because I'm 53!!! I'm going to shop around a little more before I buy the insurance, but will do it soon. Final payment is due in November.

One more thing....remember to divide the total trip cost between the amount of people in your party....if your total sailing cost for a party of 4 is $3200, put $800 per person for the cost, not the total amout of the cruise for each person....it may help adjust the totals you are getting.

When you are getting quotes for insurance and it asks you for the total cost of your vacation, do you include all costs or just costs that would be nonrecoverable if you had to cancel? For example, if you had to cancel a cruise 5 days prior to sailing, you would probably lose your entire cruise cost. But other costs, like airfare, could be applied to future air travel (less any penalties).

I am not including anything but the cost of the cruise in my quote. I don't worry about the air, because we could make a change. I also don't worry about the hotel, because we could change that too. The two most important things to me are having to cancel at the last minute and medical evacuation. That's where big money can be spent.

Thanks for answering my questions. In following another post, I tried www.totalinsuranceamerica.com and had some good luck finding some lower rates and I also felt it was an easier to read site.

Jenn

Antmaril, see ya in Feb :~)

Jenn:

Yes, we will see you in February!!!!

Thanks for that site. I got a pretty good rate for our travel insurance there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter