• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More Target Frustration

Marionnette

Children see magic because they look for it
How many of you will make a purchase at Target for the GC wyb X number of items and then turn around and use that GC towards another group of items in your basket? Raise you hands. :wave2:

Okay. You can put those hands down and leave them down now. Target has changed their policy (apparently) and those GC with purchase are no longer going to be activated immediately. You will now have to wait 24 hours for them to become usable. :furious:

All I wanted to do was spend down the last of my Target GCs. I made a purchase that offered a $10 GC with purchase and I planned to use it to cover the remaining items in my cart. Nope. Can't do that anymore. Gotta come back in a couple days to use that GC.

I get why they do it. They figure that you will return another day and spend even more money on their stuff. Their house their rules. Would have been nice to know this before planning my shopping trip.:(

So, here I am...warning the rest of you. Don't be the clueless lady (or man) holding up the self-checkout line because neither you nor the Team Member assigned to that station can figure out why the GC is coming up "not valid".

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE DISBOARDS.

I never used them on the same trip, anyway. I always saved them up and gave them to my son in college. Now that he's out of college and in his own place, I think I'll keep doing it.

I see no reason to stop shopping at Target because of this.
Nor do I. It just caught me by surprise and I ended up holding up the self checkout line because of it. The Team Member who was assisting me was unaware of the change, as were the people in customer service. It wasn't until a manager came over to explain the change that it was cleared up.

I have other reasons for not shopping often at Target. This isn't one of them.

How many of you will make a purchase at Target for the GC wyb X number of items and then turn around and use that GC towards another group of items in your basket? Raise you hands. :wave2:

Okay. You can put those hands down and leave them down now. Target has changed their policy (apparently) and those GC with purchase are no longer going to be activated immediately. You will now have to wait 24 hours for them to become usable. :furious:

All I wanted to do was spend down the last of my Target GCs. I made a purchase that offered a $10 GC with purchase and I planned to use it to cover the remaining items in my cart. Nope. Can't do that anymore. Gotta come back in a couple days to use that GC.

I get why they do it. They figure that you will return another day and spend even more money on their stuff. Their house their rules. Would have been nice to know this before planning my shopping trip.:(

So, here I am...warning the rest of you. Don't be the clueless lady (or man) holding up the self-checkout line because neither you nor the Team Member assigned to that station can figure out why the GC is coming up "not valid".

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE DISBOARDS.
My target has always been this way. I used to work there years ago and we were trained not to allow cards to be used that way. I was always under the impression they wouldn’t work at all until the next day. I would just buy what I needed to get the cards and then come back the next day for whatever else and use the cards. But I only live a mile or so away so its nbd.

I never got my Disney gift cards from Target. I purchase them at Kroger's when they have the 4x the points for fuel. My husband has an hour commute one way and uses a lot of gas. This helps.

I never got my Disney gift cards from Target. I purchase them at Kroger's when they have the 4x the points for fuel. My husband has an hour commute one way and uses a lot of gas. This helps.
This had nothing to do with using a Target GC to buy a Disney GC. I knew that ship had sailed last week. I just wanted to pay for the graduation card and bottle of bleach I still had in my cart. It had always been permitted in the past at the two Targets near me. I guess they just decided to standardize their rules across the board at all Target locations.

But people also said they would stop shopping at Target because they could no longer buy Disney GC with a Target GC. I like Target, like a previous poster I buy my GC at a grocery store, Target is 5 minutes away and has the best prices on many items. Personally I prefer Target over Walmart. I never used my $5 reward GC immediately, as I am almost always paying with a GC to start with.

I did this all the time! I tend to tuck gift cards away and then forget about them. Maybe this is another reason they changed it? If people don't use them at all, that would be better for their bottom line. I don't think the policy will change me from going to Target, but it might change my buying habits when I do go.

I use to be able to use the "new" gift card in the transaction in which it was earned. They started beeping a few years ago at various Texas stores I visit. However, once I closed the transaction and paid, I could start a new transaction and use the "new" gift card. I want to clarify that this scenario is no longer working. Thanks.

What was the benefit of doing this.
You could divide your shopping trip into two parts. The first part would include items that got you a gift card with purchase. The second part would be other items that you wish to purchase. You could pay for that second part with the GC from the first part and not have to make another trip to Target just to use that GC

I use to be able to use the "new" gift card in the transaction in which it was earned. They started beeping a few years ago at various Texas stores I visit. However, once I closed the transaction and paid, I could start a new transaction and use the "new" gift card. I want to clarify that this scenario is no longer working. Thanks.
Yep. That's what I attempted to do yesterday. My GC was not valid until this morning.

I have never thought to do two transactions like that. I can see why you all want to and it sucks that you can't.

In my case my husband works at Target so he is going to be back there in a few days and will buy something anyway.

Thanks.
Time to evaluate the value of various Target sales. Knowing I could do several transactions back to back could was convenient, even if Target was a few pennies more than elsewhere. If I've got to come back the next day, I might as well stop at a Kroger or CVS on the way home, instead.

Thanks for the heads up. I used to do the same even though I have 2 targets within about 2 miles from, I just dont go that often. I hope this never changes with CVS. I do the same thing there with reward $, again 2 within 1 mile of me, and still I dont go that often. I only go for the special promos like the GC anymore.

But people also said they would stop shopping at Target because they could no longer buy Disney GC with a Target GC. I like Target, like a previous poster I buy my GC at a grocery store, Target is 5 minutes away and has the best prices on many items. Personally I prefer Target over Walmart. I never used my $5 reward GC immediately, as I am almost always paying with a GC to start with.

This is totally me. I buy our Disney Cards at Kroger. I am a total Target addict though. I used to save up my small gift cards and use them toward some sort of splurge thing for myself, but now that they have to scratch the back off and type in that huge long code, I feel bad holding up the line with a bunch of them so I've started using them the next trip.

You could divide your shopping trip into two parts. The first part would include items that got you a gift card with purchase. The second part would be other items that you wish to purchase. You could pay for that second part with the GC from the first part and not have to make another trip to Target just to use that GC
Oh, ok I get it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter