• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More stroller talk

ny3boys

Mouseketeer
We are making our 2nd trip to WDW next month. We went 3 years ago when DS3 was 6. He is 9 now. Last time we rented a Citimini GT for him and it worked out perfectly. He does not use a stroller at home and hasn't since he was 3 but has some health issues that make him tire more easily especially if he is on his feet for long periods, he does have orthotics. He also has an immune deficiency and the stroller helps to somewhat minimize him touching shared surfaces. He is about 51" tall and 50lbs. Based on the descriptions and photos from 3 years ago I think he may be too tall for the Citimini GT now. Is that the tallest regular stroller we can rent? I saw they have the libery special needs stroller but he won't want to be reclined all the time, only when he wants to rest. Plus he is only 50lbs and that stroller will hold ME ( I am 97lbs!), so it seems kind of like overkill and I don't know if I could push it around all day, I am recovering from breast cancer surgery this summer. We will be using Disney busses so we need something we can fold up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I believe Care Medical Equipment and Orlando Medical Rentals both have strollers for bigger kids. It's been a few years since I checked, but Care Medical used to offer a large umbrella-style stroller, I think an Otto Bock. Orlando Medical Rentals offers several stroller models, you might want to check the specs for height and weight, but some were the more typical "baby stroller" style rather than the larger Liberty Pushchair that some stroller rental companies offer.

We ended up purchasing a used Maclaren Major Elite for our daughter when we were in that situation -- outgrew the old baby stroller but still fatigued easily.

Enjoy your vacation!

I echo lanejudy's advice.
Some of the strollers have higher weight limits, but also check the suggested height. For some, the weight will be OK, but the height will be an issue.

Follow the link in my signature or look near the top of the board for the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 2 of that thread has information about rental of strollers, wheelchairs and ECVs. It includes links to the different rental companies

We are making our 2nd trip to WDW next month. We went 3 years ago when DS3 was 6. He is 9 now. Last time we rented a Citimini GT for him and it worked out perfectly. He does not use a stroller at home and hasn't since he was 3 but has some health issues that make him tire more easily especially if he is on his feet for long periods, he does have orthotics. He also has an immune deficiency and the stroller helps to somewhat minimize him touching shared surfaces. He is about 51" tall and 50lbs. Based on the descriptions and photos from 3 years ago I think he may be too tall for the Citimini GT now. Is that the tallest regular stroller we can rent? I saw they have the libery special needs stroller but he won't want to be reclined all the time, only when he wants to rest. Plus he is only 50lbs and that stroller will hold ME ( I am 97lbs!), so it seems kind of like overkill and I don't know if I could push it around all day, I am recovering from breast cancer surgery this summer. We will be using Disney busses so we need something we can fold up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Based on how my kid fit in the GT in January (she was about 45" and under 50 pounds) I think your guy will be pretty uncomfortable. Have you looked at renting a juvenile wheelchair? At 9 a lot of kids will be sensitive about their dignity. He might prefer the trade off of not being able to recline in order to not be in a stroller.

Orlando Medical Rentals seems to actually have a few options for special needs strollers and wheelchairs. Look in both the wheelchair section and the stroller section

Thanks everyone! I took him to the baby store and he sat in a GT. He barely fit heightwise, but he really liked it. He is a bit sensory seeking and likes to be "snug". He likes weighted blankets, sitting under couch cushions, etc. I think it might work for what we need. He said he totally wouldn't be embarrassed to be in a baby stroller. He is all happy to sit and be pushed around in it. Maybe that is not a good thing! I was expecting him to walk as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter