More Rules=My Broken Disney Heart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The $10 fee if you cancel after midnight the night before is too much and it will mean I will book less. (Not talking about the signature meals etc - for those it's fair). I agree with the charge, but not the window.

The more I think about it, the more I think the cancel the day before is really the only way they could go. How could they have a 4 hour window, when so many of the ADRs are for early morning? How could they expect people to understand that they had to cancel by 3 am?

Even for a lunch ADR that would be a very early in the day cancellation. Lunch starts at 10:30 or 11:00 am. I don't see having to cancel by 6:30 am a huge improvement over having to cancel by midnight the day before. It may help the random family that wakes up with someone not feeling so great, but not many others.

A 4 hour window might work for dinner ADRs, but that is all. It would have very little benefit for anyone who likes a sit down meal for breakfast or lunch.

Why is Disney trying to squeeze more from us and take the spontaneity out of our experience? I am totally bummed. :sad:

This is what I don't get and I agree with you on
- booking meals months in advance - I'm not sure what I want to eat for breakfast this morning let along a few months from now
- booking rides a month in advance - ridiculous - I have no idea what park I will be in and what the weather will be like
- can't change you mind the day of without a penalty - If i'm having a good time in one park or the kids are burnt out I can't cancel my reservation without a penalty - as long as I cancel they will probably have a walk-up that will be thrilled to take my table. Oh and BTW if I am a no show and they charge the penalty they will still use that table for a walk-up - total profit

The more I think about it, the more I think the cancel the day before is really the only way they could go. How could they have a 4 hour window, when so many of the ADRs are for early morning? How could they expect people to understand that they had to cancel by 3 am?

Even for a lunch ADR that would be a very early in the day cancellation. Lunch starts at 10:30 or 11:00 am. I don't see having to cancel by 6:30 am a huge improvement over having to cancel by midnight the day before. It may help the random family that wakes up with someone not feeling so great, but not many others.

A 4 hour window might work for dinner ADRs, but that is all. It would have very little benefit for anyone who likes a sit down meal for breakfast or lunch.

I suspect the big issue for Disdney with no-shows is dinner and a handful of the character breakfasts.
Have breakfast and lunch be the day before and dinner a 4 hour window - IMO too many people will be in the parks all day and decide that they don;t want dinner or just can't make it for some reason and now that flexibility to cancel is gone

I understand what you are saying but I do think it would work. So if I cancel my breakfast or lunch at 11 pm, and they dump it into system by midnight....are guests that want a table service breakfast or lunch online in the middle of the night looking for meals or are they going to check in the morning when they wake or try at the podium at arrival? I don't think they are up in the night.

It gets down to why Disney is doing it? If it is to open up more no shows to the walk up customers (they are many and they are upset when they can't get a table service meal in their day) then this won't change anything. I eat table service often, hear them turned away at the podium and their complaining about lack of table/good dining in the parks. Growing problem.

I don't understand. We're you bringing old mugs and reusing them? If so wether you think so or not that is theft. They aren't trying to take away a past perk. They're trying to keep people from stealing.

You might call it taking away the "spontaneity", they're just trying to keep the unruly public masses from trampling all over their rules and doing whatever they please on their property because "they spend thousands and thousands there".

Seriously?? The OP did not mention old mugs. Theft??? Really! People do spend THOUSANDS! Disney is becoming a vacation for the wealthy. I don't have a problem with the cancellation policy. They needed that. The refill on the mugs caused a problem. If you needed more ice or started filling the wrong drink you had to wait to refill. The ice was a big problem at the Pop. They never seemed to have any.

I am more or less just commenting on the overall squeeze I feel I am getting from Disney. I am NOT opposed to change at all. I wouldn't mind paying more if I felt like I was getting a better product in return.

As an AP holder for 10+ years, I feel the same way. Yes, I will still go to WDW, but my overall level of satisfaction has diminished.

I am a woman who often goes alone--WDW has tremendous appeal for me in that I feel very safe there (as opposed to Vegas where no-way-in-heck would I go alone.) I've made numerous Disney Buddies and can often meet with someone once there for a cup of coffee or lunch.

This is what I don't get and I agree with you on
- booking meals months in advance - I'm not sure what I want to eat for breakfast this morning let along a few months from now
- booking rides a month in advance - ridiculous - I have no idea what park I will be in and what the weather will be like
- can't change you mind the day of without a penalty - If i'm having a good time in one park or the kids are burnt out I can't cancel my reservation without a penalty - as long as I cancel they will probably have a walk-up that will be thrilled to take my table. Oh and BTW if I am a no show and they charge the penalty they will still use that table for a walk-up - total profit

I suspect the big issue for Disdney with no-shows is dinner and a handful of the character breakfasts.
Have breakfast and lunch be the day before and dinner a 4 hour window - IMO too many people will be in the parks all day and decide that they don;t want dinner or just can't make it for some reason and now that flexibility to cancel is gone

I don't usually book meals months in advance but if I do, it's one that is important (notice the "one")

Most meals are done a week before I leave. Obviously, I have many I'm looking at and will go with what is available.

I'll book big ride a month in advance. The other two? Not a big deal. Way too many things to occupy my time. If I don't use all FastPass Plus has to offer no big deal.

No policy change is going to be perfect for everyone. You've expressed your concerns. FastPassPlus has my husband concerned and that worries me. Bu then again, if we can't get to *fill in the blank*, we'll do something else. I know that's difficult to explain to children but I think of my grandkids. I know I can do Spaceship Earth with my grandson nd shopping with my granddaughter and have both go home with "best trip ever!"

And that's because of expectations. If we went on Soarin' ad all the glory, same response. "Best trip ever!" I've found audlt expectations lead the trip.

You do realize that some families will book like 5 days a popular restaurant, or 3-4 dining times on the same day at a favorite or popular restaurant - only to cancel all but one of them? They do this so they can have flexibility on their vacation planning. They do this at 180 days out (or 180+10), only to cancel the day of or the week of their vacation when they "firm up" their plans. This is at the detriment of not only other vacation planners but also Disney.

In other words, this type of vacation 'planning' means many people can't get the reservations they want and would actually keep and enjoy.

You will even see here on the cancellation boards a few people will say "I have 4 Ohana reservations to cancel!!!" It is less and less because people are verbal over here on our feelings about that. Look at the older threads though - it is there.

It is really ridiculous. I was working with a CM per telephone who booked my reservations months ago - and she commented to me about this. This was before I "found" the restaurant board here on the dis. I usually hang out on the budget and community board. I was pretty shocked to find out about it. The CM was happy for me that I got the reservations I wanted (but I was unable to get BOG and CRT at the time).

So while it may make you unhappy, the new policy will cut down on people making 4 reservations for one restaurant on different days or at different times when they only really intend to keep one of those reservations. They will make the one reservation they really intend to keep and then they will plan their days around their reservations. Otherwise, it will cost them money

The ADR cancellation policy isn't a big deal unless you plan on simply no-showing. If you call to cancel with a LEGITIMATE reason (sick kid etc) they'll make concessions for you. They always have. Of course there is no way to stop people from cancelling and simply lying about why they are cancelling.

People will always find a way to game the system.

So while it may make you unhappy, the new policy will cut down on people making 4 reservations for one restaurant on different days or at different times when they only really intend to keep one of those reservations. They will make the one reservation they really intend to keep and then they will plan their days around their reservations. Otherwise, it will cost them money

It will not keeping from making multiple reservations for same restaurant on multiple days or even the same day. They will still do that and will as long as disney allows 180 dining reservations and real times for parks come out a lot later. What it will do is force people to cancel extra ones at least 24 hours per policy to not get charged. So there is a greater chance of last minutes openings after they cancel 24 hours out.

The only problem I had / have with the mugs is that there are "Resort" mugs and there are "park" mugs. My husband bought resort mugs for all of us this spring, but we were hardly at the resort. So they were a bad purchase for us. They were not refillable at the parks.

It will not keeping from making multiple reservations for same restaurant on multiple days or even the same day. They will still do that and will as long as disney allows 180 dining reservations and real times for parks come out a lot later. What it will do is force people to cancel extra ones at least 24 hours per policy to not get charged. So there is a greater chance of last minutes openings after they cancel 24 hours out.

It actually seems to keep people from overbooking. I think we sometimes forget that not everyone is fanatic about WDW as we are. Not everyone will take the time to figure out how to work around the new rule, or will it even dawn on them that they can work around it.

I know once they started charging for character meals and the signature restaurants, it became a lot easier to get ADRs for those places. A lot easier!

I agree, it will not stop this. They will continue to do this and just cancel the day before. Just like the multiple "contact" info you need now for multiple reservations, all you will need is multiple credit cards as that would be the way for the computer to flag it. The only way to stop it, and they won't do it, is require a deposit of $10 that will be applied to your final bill or credited if you are on the Dining Plan. No one wants to shell out hundred of dollars before a trip on the chance they might use the reservation. They will book only what they fully intend to use.

If they waive the fees for "illness" then everyone will be ill when they cancel. I don't see this happening after an adjustment period. I think some commitment is necessary but I don't think the new plan is going to change anything in availability in advance or for walk ups. It will only give those in the know a shot in the morning to jump on MDE and see what got dumped in the system. My point is - what is their reasoning, what do they want to happen from it?

It actually seems to keep people from overbooking. I think we sometimes forget that not everyone is fanatic about WDW as we are. Not everyone will take the time to figure out how to work around the new rule, or will it even dawn on them that they can work around it.

I don't even know that the "overbookers" are the big problem in the grand scheme, I really think there simply are not enough seats in the table service restaurants to handle the number of people now going to Disney wanting to eat a better meal, especially with Free Dining and other discount packages.

If these overbookers know how to work the system to overbook now, it will only take a second to realize how to overbook on the new system. Now all you need is a couple phone numbers/emails = gmail and your kid's cell phones. The new system all you will need are a couple credit cards, probably not a problem for overbookers.

Honestly, after just spending 12 days on the Quick Serve Dining Plan - was a first for us but I wanted to try it, I am quickly booking table service for our next trip. Even after doing my homework and trying to get a variety of eats .... by day 5 I was over it. I think that may be one of the desires of many to book table service. Improving the counter service could lessen the demand on table. Be Our Guest is a perfect example of how it is possible.

Seriously?? The OP did not mention old mugs. Theft??? Really! People do spend THOUSANDS! Disney is becoming a vacation for the wealthy. I don't have a problem with the cancellation policy. They needed that. The refill on the mugs caused a problem. If you needed more ice or started filling the wrong drink you had to wait to refill. The ice was a big problem at the Pop. They never seemed to have any.

That is why my first statement was "I don't understand". Later OP admitted to sharing which (I'm assuming) she might have bought 1 or 2 mugs and let the whole family drink out of 2 mugs.

Believe me I get it. I spend a ton of money at disney. Heck I've even used my room coffee cups to go get me some coffee at the restaurant. Was it stealing. Yes. Can I get mad at disney for not letting me steal anymore. Sure! But that would make me look dumb now wouldn't it.

That is why my first statement was "I don't understand". Later OP admitted to sharing which (I'm assuming) she might have bought 1 or 2 mugs and let the whole family drink out of 2 mugs.

Believe me I get it. I spend a ton of money at disney. Heck I've even used my room coffee cups to go get me some coffee at the restaurant. Was it stealing. Yes. Can I get mad at disney for not letting me steal anymore. Sure! But that would make me look dumb now wouldn't it.

I wasn't even going to answer that comment, because honestly I didn't want to get into a debate over it, but since it is still being talked about let me clarify:

We usually did buy a mug per person. However I think when my step kids were little we bought them one mug and they would share. And this was for like maybe one or two meals during our trip and the kids were too small to even finish one mug of soda. So stealing? Give me a break! And even if we were to "fill it up" say twice, which we didn't, does that mean the soda police should come around and confiscate our cup? Throw us in Disney Jail? You mean if I buy a can of soda at the parks, can I give my DD a sip or am I now a immoral thief?

Of course there are going to be people that try and take advantage of things, but I'm sorry, call me naive but I have more faith in my fellow mankind to think that it is as big a problem as people say.

I wasn't even going to answer that comment, because honestly I didn't want to get into a debate over it, but since it is still being talked about let me clarify:

We usually did buy a mug per person. However I think when my step kids were little we bought them one mug and they would share. And this was for like maybe one or two meals during our trip and the kids were too small to even finish one mug of soda. So stealing? Give me a break! And even if we were to "fill it up" say twice, which we didn't, does that mean the soda police should come around and confiscate our cup? Throw us in Disney Jail? You mean if I buy a can of soda at the parks, can I give my DD a sip or am I now a immoral thief?

Of course there are going to be people that try and take advantage of things, but I'm sorry, call me naive but I have more faith in my fellow mankind to think that it is as big a problem as people say.

I don't believe disney would invest millions of dollars in a new soda dispersal system if it were for losing mere pennies. Technically you can still share. You just have to wait a few minutes in between refills.

I hear you. It sometimes feels that we are less and less of a welcomed guest...Disney is not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination and it seems that every time I turn around is a new policy/procedure/rule that adds more pressure to plan ahead and stress over any possible change of plans.

I'm starting to get tired of paying money and spending my limited vacation time negotiating the hurdles put in place to deal with the "abusers" and to try and feel like I got my money's worth. The issues with linking my new AP voucher so that I can get FP+ ressies has really put me over the top....

I know the apologists will be out in full force, but I am as entitled to my feelings and opinions as they are. I'm not sure when the shift happened, as I am a hardcore Disney-fan, but the bloom is off the rose right now. I hope that at some point the powers that be shift back into customer 1st service that made them famous rather than what sometimes feels like I am supposed to be grateful they will take my money.

Totally understand the feeling of being nickel and dimed to death. It bugs me more when coupled with things like cm's saying once fp+ is fully rolled out we'll only get 3fp's per day (we currently take advantage of being able to get one every 2 hours) or enforcing the pools being closed after 11pm. It makes me feel like they keep charging more and more anywhere they can and taking away more and more. I know these are things that first time visitors and those who aren't as lucky as we are in terms of how often we go would probably ever notice but I spend a lot of money at disney each year and, like you, don't like that feeling of being taken advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter