More questions re ETwB

fairy god aunt

Mouseketeer
I have read all of the posts regarding how you have to get to Enchanted Tales with Belle immediately upon RD. But, Touring Plans keeps telling me to do other things first and then do Enchanted Tales. It seems that they have the same 14-18 minute wait time during the first hour of park opening. So, should I knock out one or two quick rides and then go to ETwB? So much easier when I knew I had to get to Dumbo!! Has anyone tried, for example, riding PP first and then going to ETwB? (It is supposed to be a best park and low crowd day, although it is still a Saturday in May without EMH.)

I have read all of the posts regarding how you have to get to Enchanted Tales with Belle immediately upon RD. But, Touring Plans keeps telling me to do other things first and then do Enchanted Tales. It seems that they have the same 14-18 minute wait time during the first hour of park opening. So, should I knock out one or two quick rides and then go to ETwB? So much easier when I knew I had to get to Dumbo!! Has anyone tried, for example, riding PP first and then going to ETwB? (It is supposed to be a best park and low crowd day, although it is still a Saturday in May without EMH.)

I personally, would still advise ETWB first thing, ignoring grabbing a FP etc. just go straight to it. Regardless of time of year, Saturday is still a busy day in MK.
The line for ETWB gets very long very quickly. The weather in May should be hot, and with the queue being mostly in the open, I wouldn't want to have a long wait in it.

The longer you wait to see ETwB, the longer your wait at ETwB will be. It's no big deal to take a 30 second detour for someone in your group to grab PP fastpasses and meet up in the front of the ETwB line, but you can do ETwB and PP with maybe 30 minutes total wait for both if you do ETwB...The other way around, you're going to wait AT LEAST 30 minutes just for ETwB.

You can do ETwB, Littler Mermaid Ride and the Meet & Greet all before doing PP with your FP, then grab a FP for pooh, do Barnstomer and Dumbo and silly circus, use your Pook FP and it's probably time for a snack or lunch.

TP says we can do PP without a FP in under five minutes before ETwB, without the line for ETwB increasing. (Not needing a FP for PP means we get one for Little Mermaid ride and then one for Pooh.) I have had great luck with TP in the past but I think they are off here.

fairy god aunt said:
TP says we can do PP without a FP in under five minutes before ETwB, without the line for ETwB increasing. (Not needing a FP for PP means we get one for Little Mermaid ride and then one for Pooh.) I have had great luck with TP in the past but I think they are off here.

TP is wrong. You can quickly walk straight to ETwB, THEN get a FP for PP and then mermaid will likely still be a walk-on to a 10 minute wait.

As far as trying PP first and then ETwB, I didn't (because of the advice here and from Josh), but I can tell you that with no strollers, standing AT the rope and heading directly to Belle with DD10 walking as fast as her little legs could carry her, we were in the second group. When we got out, the wait time for Belle was 40 minutes. That was on a recommended Wednesday.

TP says we can do PP without a FP in under five minutes before ETwB, without the line for ETwB increasing. (Not needing a FP for PP means we get one for Little Mermaid ride and then one for Pooh.)

TP is wrong. And if you do Little Mermaid right after ETwB, you won't need a FP. You can still get and use FPs for attractions with longer wait times, Pooh and PP..

TP is wrong. You can quickly walk straight to ETwB, THEN get a FP for PP and then mermaid will likely still be a walk-on to a 10 minute wait.

As far as trying PP first and then ETwB, I didn't (because of the advice here and from Josh), but I can tell you that with no strollers, standing AT the rope and heading directly to Belle with DD10 walking as fast as her little legs could carry her, we were in the second group. When we got out, the wait time for Belle was 40 minutes. That was on a recommended Wednesday.

This was Josh's suggestion for when we went and the timing was 100% spot on. We followed it exactly like this except for BOG guest lunch because we had dinner reservations there later that week. It's probably less than 50 steps out of your way to stop and pick up PP fastpasses. If you have more than 1 person in your group, they can easily grab the PP fastpasses and be at the ETwB entrance the same time as you.

Back to Magic Kingdom. Journey of the Little Mermaid has been seeing some pretty absurd wait times. I think the problem is the hype surrounding “New Fantasyland.” 99% of the people arriving in Enchanted Forest have absolutely no idea what anything is. When they arrive, they find out they have their choice between two meet and greets, whatever “The Little Mermaid ride” is, a single store, and a small quick service “Tavern” with a limited menu. And then depending on the time of day, they would bypass Be Our Guest Restaurant, wait in the 30 minute lunch line, or be turned away for dinner. So here’s what we’re looking at now:
1. Arrive at the turnstiles by 8:35am
2. Head directly up Main Street, through the Castle, and to Peter Pan’s Flight to collect FASTPASSes (Mermaid is connected now so you can’t grab both). If one member of your group can collect FASTPASSes for the entire group, do so and have them meet up at Step 3: Return time of 9:40am – 10:40am
3. See Enchanted Tales with Belle: 9:05am – 9:25am
4. Ride Journey of the Little Mermaid: 9:30am – 9:45am
5. Visit Ariel’s Grotto: 9:47am – 10am
6. Collect FASTPASSes for Winnie the Pooh at Mickey’s PhilharMagic: Return time of 10:50am – 11:50am
7. Ride Peter Pan’s Flight with FASTPASS: 10:10am – 10:20am
8. Get in line for Be Our Guest Lunch

If you want to do Enchanted Tales with Belle, there’s really no way around doing it first. Otherwise, you’re looking at 40 to 60 minute waits in the sun all day. It also takes some time, which is why we’re realistically not going to be out of there until 9:25am or so. The rest of the morning includes the rest of New Fantasyland, Peter Pan’s Flight, and lunch at Be Our Guest Restaurant, which lets guests in around 10:30am. 10:30am may seem a little early for lunch, but you’re not going to receive your food until closer to 11am. And with a 7am wake-up, you’ll most likely be hungry by 11am.

Yeah, that's <backspaces over original answer> completely wrong.

TP plans is a GREAT tool, and I use it all the time; however when it comes to Meet and Greets and ETwB I use my own instinct on these. TP also shows 0 waits for Merida, so I usually add a 10 minute break after my meet and greets to compensate ;)

In fact, I still disagree with josh on the part about grabbing a fastpass for anything on your way (unless you have another person run ahead and try and meet you in the line, but they will need to really rush) because stopping for a FP could mean the difference between no wait and a 20 minute wait. Especially since during the first hour, you really don't need a FP for most rides... grab the fast pass after Belle.

Has anyone actually tried the plan from touringplans with ETwB not being the first stop? Not sure how ETwB can be listed as the 6th or 7th thing to do with only an 18-20 minute wait.... everywhere i read, the wait should be up to 40 min at this time....

The wait times in TouringPlans are based on statistical analysis and are captured in hour-by-hour wait forecasts that you can find for each attraction. Because the forecasts are hourly, it appears they interpolate wait times between hours. So for a certain date it may be that if you arrive at TP just a little after the park opens your expected wait is 10 minutes, but if you get there an hour after open it is 40 minutes. The forecast then assumes that the wait time behaves linearly in between those times, so it will indicate a wait time 25 minutes (halfway between 10 minutes and 40 minutes) if you arrive 30 minutes after park opening. The reality is probably that the wait time increases more rapidly than that in the first hour after RD.

The forecasts for ETWB tend to indicate a sharp rise in wait time in the first hour, followed by a gently crowned "hill" throughout the day (maybe 10-15 minutes variation) until around 8 p.m. then a gradual taper to park closing. This indicates, consistent with what others have said, that if you aren't one of the first in line, your wait at most points throughout the day will be similar. Some have recommended strategies that involve getting to ETWB a little after an hour following park open (the initial crowd has waned and the "late" crowd hasn't picked up yet) or going during afternoon parade or dinner time. TP doesn't show any lulls during these periods, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Again, this is statistically based, and there is not but a few months of data based on actual experience with this attraction. However, if you buy that after the first hour the wait will be similar at most other times of the day, that means make sure you get there first or fit it in another time when you couldn't get as much done visiting other attractions. The first part is why others advise not getting FPs for anything else before you get there. Also consider the speed of your group and whether you have to park a stroller before getting in line as that could make a difference. The second part is why TP can list it 6th, 7th, or later and not affect total wait time much -- it's getting you to other things to save you more time there knowing it isn't sacrificing as much time by waiting on ETWB.

To see specific day forecasts for an attraction in TP.com go to the page for the attraction you want to see (you can get there by going to any of the park pages, click on "Attractions" on the left and then select from the list). Once at the page for the attraction click on "View Full Forecast" on the right side of the page under Current Wait Time. Above the chart is a link to view the next days forecast. If you click that it will advance to the next day. The web address for the next day includes the date at the end, so you can go to the web address and pick whatever date you want to see a forecast for that day.

Hope this is helpful.

wow very detailed response
thanks
yea i guess the interpolation can be somewhat misleading as like some people mentioned, rather than being a short wait it actually ends up being a big longer wait... that could really put a wrench in some people's plan would it not?

All I can say on this is that it doesn't matter what is published by some "lines" site, or whatever, just trust the people who have been recently enough to have relevant experience.

Bottom line: If you're not there first thing you're gonna have a 40 min posted wait, minimum. Most times its longer than that.

Are there a few exceptions? Sure - maybe right before close, or during the evening parade/shows, but otherwise, no.

Our first time at MK on our trip will be an EMH evening. I'm hoping that by 11pm or midnight the line won't be too long. We'll see. It would be nice to do it then and not need to spend valuable crowd free morning time doing it. Also, my 14 and 12 year old daughters want a role in it, and hopefully at that time there will be fewer little kids around. There's no way they would do it if it meant a small child was left out. I doubt it would even be an option.

While I love and subscribe to TP we were there recently and took Josh's advice for ETWB and this time TP is ever so wrong!

Dash (as quickly as you are allowed) to ETWB at RD because otherwise you'll wait forever.

We were "previewing" the new Fantasyland for our trip with our rented child in October and I'm so grateful we did. Personally I think ETWB is a bit of a rip-off (major boon for photo-pass dollars) but I'm certain we'll think differently when we have a child with us:rolleyes2.

Auntie Peep

Let me also stress the importance of when you actually arrive to the turnstiles as well. That, in itself, can be the determining factor of whether or not everyone in your party should head directly to ETwB, or whether or not someone can grab PP fastpasses.

If you are there, meaning, past the turnstiles by 8:30 am, and position yourself to the left of the railroad (near the tree) and have one person free of bags and strollers, grabbing the FP will all but guarantee you are in no further back than the second group. Now, if you have no strollers you can probably get in the first group, but in that case, it might be too risky to grab the FP.

The picture below is where we stood and we could have gotten closer, but we had other people coming to meet us, so decided to get a little back for more room. My wife pushed my stroller and my daughter, I got the FP and met them at stroller parking and we were in the second group with a wait right around 20 minutes. If you have a stroller and have to drop it off anyway, making the first group is really hard.

img2438pm.jpg

The day we go, MK opens at 8:00 but not for EMH. Does ETwB open with the park or always at 9:00?

Thanks,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter