• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More questions and opinions need please

rrr757

Earning My Ears
Almost there, some remaining questions and advice needed.

As soon as we get on the ship, the plan is to register for stuff like kids club, mixology, book our next cruise?? then go eat and either swim or to the room. Anything else important to do as soon as we get on?

Questions
1. Booking our next cruise - where do I get the form and drop it off after we select the next cruise we want to do, and we can cancel with no penalties up to like 180 days before the cruise?

2. Photo package - we are doing the WDW memory maker, do you all really recommend the photo package on the cruise, seems kinda steep, not sure what all you get with it, so any reviews of this service would be greatly appreciated.

3. Sail away deck part, I hate crowds, but realize its vacation and its for the kids so lets do this. We have a room with a verandah - do most of you enjoy sail away from your verandah or do you go to the deck and if so, whats a good area location/deck to enjoy the sail away show, etc without being on top of each other? Saw a video and it looks like it gets packed. My preference would be our verandah, but think the kids will enjoy the show but not sure.

4. Nassau - is it worth getting off just to do some souvenir shopping with a group of 8 just for like an hour or so? We have kids with us main concern.

5. Anything else?? Never been on a cruise nervous and excited.

Almost there, some remaining questions and advice needed. As soon as we get on the ship, the plan is to register for stuff like kids club, mixology, book our next cruise?? then go eat and either swim or to the room. Anything else important to do as soon as we get on? Questions 1. Booking our next cruise - where do I get the form and drop it off after we select the next cruise we want to do, and we can cancel with no penalties up to like 180 days before the cruise? 2. Photo package - we are doing the WDW memory maker, do you all really recommend the photo package on the cruise, seems kinda steep, not sure what all you get with it, so any reviews of this service would be greatly appreciated. 3. Sail away deck part, I hate crowds, but realize its vacation and its for the kids so lets do this. We have a room with a verandah - do most of you enjoy sail away from your verandah or do you go to the deck and if so, whats a good area location/deck to enjoy the sail away show, etc without being on top of each other? Saw a video and it looks like it gets packed. My preference would be our verandah, but think the kids will enjoy the show but not sure. 4. Nassau - is it worth getting off just to do some souvenir shopping with a group of 8 just for like an hour or so? We have kids with us main concern. 5. Anything else?? Never been on a cruise nervous and excited.
Just keep in mind that no one is allowed to the staterooms until 1:30 so you'll have to keep whatever carry one you have with you. Your check in luggage won't come til much later. They may arrive in spurts but usually arrive by the 1st dinner dining time.
We loved doing the sail away party our 1st time. It is crowded tho. I've never done a verandah yet so maybe someone else can contribute. On our 2nd cruise out of port Canaveral it was so hot and humid (we are from LA so not used to humidity). My kids were miserable from it, tired cuz we got in from a red eye, & not used to the time change. We stick it out for most of the sail away. We went to our outside stateroom to watch the ship sail away.
Enjoy! I'm sure you'll have an amazing time!

As soon as we get on the ship, the plan is to register for stuff like kids club, mixology, book our next cruise?? then go eat and either swim or to the room. Anything else important to do as soon as we get on?

Questions
1. Booking our next cruise - where do I get the form and drop it off after we select the next cruise we want to do, and we can cancel with no penalties up to like 180 days before the cruise?

2. Photo package - we are doing the WDW memory maker, do you all really recommend the photo package on the cruise, seems kinda steep, not sure what all you get with it, so any reviews of this service would be greatly appreciated.

3. Sail away deck part, I hate crowds, but realize its vacation and its for the kids so lets do this. We have a room with a verandah - do most of you enjoy sail away from your verandah or do you go to the deck and if so, whats a good area location/deck to enjoy the sail away show, etc without being on top of each other? Saw a video and it looks like it gets packed. My preference would be our verandah, but think the kids will enjoy the show but not sure.

4. Nassau - is it worth getting off just to do some souvenir shopping with a group of 8 just for like an hour or so? We have kids with us main concern.

No need to rush to book your next cruise. You can get the form at the next cruise desk.

I like Nassau, yes, it is worth getting off the ship. If you don't like what you see, get back on. Nassau is one of the easiest ships to get on and off of the ship.

BTW, if you hate crowds, a DCL cruise may not be for you. The shows, parties, buffets, dinners, pools, decks, etc all can get crowded. Perhaps, you should consider another type of vacation.

Questions

The cruise deck has forms you fill out with what you are interested in. You can drop them off and then they will get it to your cabin when they have the info. Or you can sit down face to face with the CM a the cruise desk.

We do not do many cruise photos...so I do not have an opinion. I am sure someone else will,

For kids right in front of the stage is where they like to be, so get out there early. If not the deck right above has a great view. It gets crowded but fun.
We did it twice watching from deck above....gets you energized for cruise.

You will hear different opinions. Due to a hurricane that passed though right before we got there. We did not get off. This August we have a snorkeling excursion planned and a little shopping on the way back.

We love the Buena Vista Theatre and the first run movies...it beautiful. Do not try to do everything? You can't ..... Where or bring bathing suits Onboard. We like to hit the buffet...Cabana...or Topsiders....take in the decor it is gorgeous and enjoy the crew....very nice...great service.....have a wonderful time.:cheer2:

Absolutely bring bathing suits with you in your carry on luggage. The first day will be the only day that the pool isnt totally swamped because so many people haven't gotten their luggage yet so they don't have access to their swimming gear.

I know its going to be crowded, so will WDW. I know, it wont ruin my fun I can deal with it, lol.

Anyone more on the photo package and or sail away (on deck or verandah)

Thanks!!!

Questions

No need to do this as soon as you board (the desk probably won't be open yet anyway) You can pick up the form at the desk or wait until they are open (hours listed in navigator) and book it then. Yes, as long as you are not booking concierge, you can cancel before PIF date.

Also, if you pre-register for the kids club on the website, there is no need to hurry there either. You can stop by the first time you are dropping off and get the wristband.

Sorry, no advise here. I usually only find a few pictures that we like so we just pay for a few prints with the borders. Everything else we take with our own camera.

We like to watch the party from the deck above the pool deck (12 on the Dream or Fantasy, 10 on the Magic or Wonder). It isn't as crowded and you can watch both the party and then move to the outside railing to watch the sailaway.

That is all we did on our first visit there. I enjoyed the shops after you get out off the port area (didn't care for the stuff right at the port). I felt fine walking around with just me and my daughter as long as we didn't go too far away.

Just like everyone else has said. Don't try to do it all. Keep your navigator or cruise line app close by so you can keep track the the activities you don't want to miss.

My answers in blue :goodvibes

We've always done our own sail away on our verandah -- just relaxed and waved at people on shore.

Don't bring too much with you as a carry on. Your room will be ready around 1:30 but until then you have to lug it around and that can dampen the mood for everyone.

We also hate crowds but LOVED our Disney cruise and have already booked another one. We stayed at the outer edge, upper decks for the sail away party and for the Pirate Night show and fireworks. It is crowded but we didn't feel the need to get right in the middle of it to have a good view because we don't have little kids. If you do want a good view just go to deck 12 and get a spot on the rail about 40 minutes before the show. The only other time we experienced any crowds was leaving the theater after a show. We made our way through the crowds and took the first "exit" we could to get away from it all. The dining rooms didn't bother us too much. I guess it really depends on your expectations too. I remember commenting several times on how empty a deck or a area was. Several time our family would be the only ones around. We liked to go to the back deck at Cabanas when it was closed and look out at the ocean. Deck 4 stayed pretty quiet too. I found several lounges with no one in them. I was amazed at how well Disney designed the ship so that it didn't feel crowded all the time. I figured everywhere would be packed with people at all times and it isn't like that at all! Now we didn't swim in the pools so I can't comment on that. I did notice the adult pool empty several times.
Hope this helps. Also if you want to just get away from it all you can order room service and just hang out in your stateroom.

As far as stuff to take care of as soon as you get on the ship.
- Relax because you are on Vacation!
- Turn in any items to customer service that you might want signed by characters
- Kids Clubs
- Mixology
- Check on any dining request / reservations you needed
- Also grab some lunch. You have several options for this (Cabanas, a Dining Room, quick food pool side)

Before you know it the rooms will be ready! Then the sail away party, then dinner, then a show, kids programs and then WOW the first day will be gone!

You probably want to wait on booking another cruise until you have had a little time experiencing this one. There isn't a rush and you will have some time to do it later. Don't wait till the last night though when you are trying to get bags packed and out in the hall, dinner, show, and pictures at shutters (do this ahead of time too if you can).

Nassau is ok but not great. If you do get off the ship be prepared for their culture and them asking/begging you to buy something from them (tours,crafts, etc.). I expected it so it didn't bother me but my DS was really really uncomfortable with it all and just wanted back on the ship.
Also, unless you plan on buying a package at Atlantis don't waist your time or money going over there. It isn't worth it. You might want to look into a blue lagoon beach day package.

Have fun! Disney cruises are really wonderful! Order mickey bars or milk and cookies for room service too. If there is something you want don't be scared to ask!

Also bring tip money for room service, porters, taxi's in port (if needed) and anything else you might want to pay cash for in port.

My advice to you is to have lunch and explore the ship when you first board. After lunch then you can get your kids bands for the kids group( You can pre do this on line before you sail). Your stateroom won't be done until about 1:30 or 2Pm., and your bags might not make it up till later that afternoon. As for the sail away party..I wouldn't miss it!!! And yes it does get crowded(but so does a lot of places on the cruise)But you can enjoy it from the top deck,or just stand more towards the back of the stage instead of the front. And Nassau is great to get off and shop. I took my kids with me the first time,and another time I left them in the kids club while I went. I hope you enjoy your cruise..And please don't miss the the evening shows,they are awesome!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the great advice!!! Can't wait, we did pre-register the children for the kids club online. Forgot about our signature mats.

You can totally enjoy leaving the port from your verandah, but not really the party unless it is broadcast in the room. We have done both, go to the sail away party, it is really fun, even if you are not a fan of crowds. Go up to one of the higher decks, it will still be crowded, but not as jam packed as the deck with the stage where the CM's are. If you are in a room that faces the port, you can see the CM from the port wave you away with Mickey hands!

The photo packages totally depend on how many pictures you think you will want. If you have a party of 8, that may be lots of pictures. An 8x10 picture costs about $10 on the ship. In our experience, there has been a CM with the character who will take a picture with you camera. It is nice to have a few of the pictures with the borders, but you will have to decide whether the price tag is worth it for the print to have the border. There are some pictures that I am still super happy we have, the Colosseum in Rome with the gladiator is a priceless example! However, we are just as happy with our character pictures from the ship without the borders.

One item we love to purchase each vacation is one of the photo holders and we always have it signed by the characters!

The sail away party is fantastic for kids. Let them get to the front so they can dance and enjoy the characters. We always take our own pictures but we have so many character shots we really don't need any more. Frankly I think the photos are way too expensive but that's just me.
We always just wear our bathing suits under clothes to make it easy when we get on and head right to pool area. Your bags generally arrive about 4 or 5. I like to unpack as soon as they come. We est at late dinner so it is easy to get it done and then have drinks before dinner.

You should put in the information for you kids in the club on the DCL site when you check in for your cruise. Then all you'll need to do is a quick check in to get the bands for the kids. You can do this any time during the cruise, even the first day, so no need to rush and get it done right away. For Mixology, or checking on any dining changes or for Palo/Remy reservations, you'll want to do those right away. Mixology will be at Guest Services, dining reservations will be in another location, on your Navigator. Like a PP said, your room won't be ready until 1:30, so plan on that as well.

Questions
If you know what you want to book, yes, you can fill out a form and don't need to consult with a Future Cruise Desk CM. The forms are available at the Future Cruise Desk. If you don't know what you want to book, and need to check pricing, sail dates, itineraries, etc., then you'll want to speak to a Future Cruise Desk CM. The hours for the desk are posted in the Navigator, as well as on a board by the desk (it's electronic, so check the walls), and you may need to wait in line if you're going during a busy time. If you're going to speak to a rep, then they will be able to book your cruise for you right there once you make a decision, unless you want to think about it. So no need for a form if you know what you want. Unless you're sailing Concierge, you can cancel any time up to the PIF date (most cruises it's 75 days) with no penalties.

It will include all photos taken of people in your stateroom during the cruise. We usually don't pose for many pictures with characters any more, so it's not worth it for us. Character "friends" will take pictures with your camera if you ask. If you're planning on going to the posed picture sessions with the different backdrops every night to get some posed pictures of your family, it might be worth it.

You can see the sail away party from deck 11 while not being hip deep in the crowds down on deck 10 if that's what you're looking for. You can also see shore so that you'll know when the ship actually leaves port. In the crowd you can't see it. For your first cruise with the kids, that's what I'd recommend.

Be smart, don't go wandering down dark alleys or flashing wads of cash and you'll be fine.

Relax and have fun. We went on our first DCL cruise long before we discovered the DISboards, so had no clue what to expect beyond "show up at the port" and still had a great time. You won't be able to do everything, so accept that and just pick the stuff that's important to you. A lot of activities they do more than once on a cruise as well, if they can, so you might have another chance to catch something!

Enjoy yourselves! Disney cruising is so much fun and you will love it! When we first boarded on our last cruise, we went to the dining room to grab some lunch. We then went to the Kid's Club to get the wristbands and check it out (had already preregistered so it was quick.) We also had our bathing suits with us in our carry-ons so we changed and played in the pools/waterslides for a bit.

In regards to the rebooking while on ship - as somebody already said, you can cancel up until the paid in full date (75 or 90 days I think?) Once you get home, you can also switch your booking and still get the discount and on-board credit. We just did that this week and changed our OBB from a 3-night to a 7-night. Not only did we get the 10%, but we also got an additional on-board credit for the next trip.

Have a great time - relax and have a Mickey Bar for me! (Room service has them if you call....also available in the dining rooms.) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter