More Over-the-top Drama than a John Waters Movie: A Family Trip to WDW

LukenDC

DIS Veteran
This trip report is nearly three years late. In December 2008, I took my dad and his longtime girlfriend Sue to Walt Disney World. It was the first visit to WDW for both of them. Why did it take me three years to write a trip report? Frankly, I was afraid that people would not believe me when I related the drama that occurred on the trip. I also needed time to process what transpired. What was exasperating at the time has, after three years, become quite humorous. So, after prodding from some DIS friends, I have decided to share my adventures with you.

Prior to taking the trip, I posted the following on the Community Board:

I need to vent. I have read so many horror stories about family trips to WDW and now it is my turn.

I'm taking my Dad and his longtime girlfriend (28 years) to WDW in December and dreading it. They live in San Diego and I last saw them in 2006, although we talk weekly. This trip is my gift to them and I am paying for all of it. I love both of them, but spending time with them can be a challenge in large part because they hate spending time with each other. Their relationship is very odd and complicated and I will spare everyone the details, but you will have to trust me on that. They are like real life versions of George and Martha from Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

The GF is 60 years old, obese and sedentary. She spends all of her time in her room and is addicted to video games. She cannot walk long distances due to her lack of daily movement, although she has assured me that she will be able to "walk 11 miles a day" when she is at WDW. Two years ago simply walking from the car to her room in a Vegas hotel resulted in days of bed rest with ice packs on her knees, so I am skeptical about her ability to move. She has already balked at sharing a room with Dad and has said that she wants me to place her in the front of the plane and Dad as far back in the plane as possible. As it stands, I have them sitting in aisle seats across from each other. She likes to constantly remind him of what a "loser" he is and orders him around like her personal butler. I love her, but she is the epitome of the shrew.

Dad is also 60 and very active. One of his favorite things to do when traveling is to think of all the ways that he could kill his GF at the destination. He has already expressed a desire for her to suffer a fatal heart attack at the Magic Kingdom and has told me that I better make sure that her will is in order before we enter the park. We're staying at CSR and I'm sure that he will be thrilled with all of the possibilities presented by the alligators in the lake. Dad has a new, hideous health problem. He has a hole in the top of his mouth and food and drink come out his nose when he eats. On top of it all, he is a womanizer who shamelessly leers at young women.

Dad and his GF will bicker nonstop. His GF will likely need a wheelchair, which is fine but also sad because she has really let herself decline. If it's an ECV, I foresee her deliberately crashing into him. If it's a push chair, Dad may try to push her into a body of water.

Oh, and Pop Warner will be in town. That will almost certainly add opportunities for a cataclysmic act of drama.

I love Disney, but I think I have five days of embarrassment and humiliation in my future.

So, the cast of characters is:

Me---35 years old, professional, Disney lover, straight laced (but gay) over achiever

Dad---60 years old, convicted felon recently released from prison and on probation for smuggling illegal aliens for profit. Likes to read and visit with his lady friends, all of whom are “working girls.” Funny guy. He and my mother divorced when I was 7.

Sue aka Cave Woman, Frau Sue, Horse and a few other choice nicknames that Dad has given her---60 years old. Has known Dad since elementary school. Divorced, no kids. Always been terrific to me. Former businesswoman who left work to care for her ailing parents. Her father died in 1995 and she has been a recluse ever since.

With the intros over, get ready for what may the wildest trip report in the wilderness!

I arrived at Coronado Springs Resort (CSR) at about 11:00 AM after a nonstop flight from DC. I was able to check in immediately to my room, which was located in Ranchos 7B. I had a ground floor room with a view of the quiet pool. I also checked in for Dad and Sue. Their room was also in Ranchos 7B, but on the opposite side of the building from mine on the second floor.

Since Dad and Sue would not arrive until early evening, I had some quiet time to enjoy. I dropped my carry-on bag with bell services and took the bus to Hollywood Studios. I had an hour before my lunch reservation at Brown Derby, so I rode Rock ‘n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror a few times. I noticed the Pop Warner cheerleaders in line for the rides, but they kept to themselves and were not obnoxious.

My lunch at Brown Derby was outstanding. Seriously, I left the restaurant thinking that I had just had one of the most satisfying meals ever. I had a salad, a pasta dish with shrimp in it, and the fabulous banana-toffee tower dessert. Everything was fantastic. Brown Derby is one of my all-time favorite restaurants and a must-do every time I go to WDW. I enjoyed the peace of eating alone. On the way out, I paused before the picture of Joan Crawford, my favorite actress, and asked her to give me the fortitude to handle anything that may come my way.

After lunch, I browsed through the Art of Disney shop and then headed back to the resort. I got off the bus at the main building at CSR so that I could explore the grounds on my way to my room in Ranchos. CSR is lovely. It was my first stay at a moderate resort and I was pleased with the grounds and the Christmas decorations in the lobby and common areas. While I was walking, I suddenly heard gunfire and explosions. I thought that we were under a terrorist assault! I quickly looked around and noticed that the castmembers in view seemed unconcerned. It later dawned on me that what I was hearing was the Lights! Motors! Action! stunt show at Hollywood Studios.

After reaching my room, I took and nap and then awoke at 5:00 PM to meet Dad and Sue at the Magical Express stop.

I was genuinely excited and happy to see Dad and Sue. They were thrilled to be at WDW and greeted me with hugs. Sue said that she had to sit for a moment on a bench. As we rested, they told me about their trip from San Diego. Sue said that she had been up until 3:00 AM trying to change their flights because she was afraid to fly with the hurricane bearing down on Orlando. What hurricane? A hurricane in December?? Sue said that she had seen news bulletins about it and was very concerned. Now I know exactly what happened. Sue has two VCRs in her room constantly taping or playing programs. I'm sure that she was watching a tape and happened to see old news clips of a hurricane that threatened Florida. I assured her that there was no hurricane.

Sue complained that her knees were sore from having to hustle through the San Diego airport to their gate. Given the long walk to Ranchos, I hailed a castmember driving a club cart and he drove us to our building.

Despite my having repeatedly emphasized over the nine months preceding the trip that WDW entails a lot of walking, it quickly became clear that Sue had not heeded my warnings. She had told me that she was power walking every day to prepare for the trip and that she could walk “eleven miles.” Lies. Sue could not walk more than five steps without leaning against a wall or railing and gasping for air. The sight and sound of her trying to draw enough air into her lungs was deeply disconcerting. Sue is a large woman who had spent most of the past ten years in bed. She ate in her room, received guests in her room, and watched TV in her room. This was the most walking she had done in many years. It took her forty (40!) minutes to walk from the ground floor of Ranchos to her room on the second floor and opposite side of the building. I was very sad to see the toll that depression and inactivity had taken on her.

After Dad and Sue got to their room, Dad said that he was ready to go to a park. Sue wanted to rest, so Dad and I headed to Epcot. We had dinner at Marakesh and enjoyed watching the belly dancer and listening to the music. Afterward, we took our places for Illuminations. I was eager for Dad to see Illuminations, but unfortunately the globe was not working properly and the show was a bust. He got to see the pyrotechnics and the fireworks, but it was impossible for him to grasp how special the show is without a properly functioning globe.

After Illuminations, we went back to CSR and retired for the night. Thankfully I slept well, because the following day was the most outrageous and frustrating day that I have ever had on vacation.

Well, all 3 survived to tell the tale. But, honestly, if you don't laugh you'll cry!
I'm amazed already:scared1:. I'm looking forward to the report

I met Dad and Sue at their room at 8:30 AM. I was pleased to find them both awake. They have nocturnal habits and usually sleep all day and awake around 4:00 PM.

Sue gave me some gifts that she had brought, including a nifty Mickey Mouse pocket watch. Dad laughingly showed me the document that his probation officer required him to take on the trip. It featured a hideous photo of him and served as his official permission to leave California for the trip. Dad said that he had deliberately made himself appear psychotic in the photo for the fun of it. How charming. I told Dad that his probation officer had called me to discuss the trip and had insisted that I carry his number “just in case.”

We decided to go to Hollywood Studios and our merry trio began the slow walk to the bus stop. Sue still had to stop every few feet, but she insisted that she was feeling better. She asked if I would rent one of the motorized scooters for her once we got to the park and I agreed to do so.

We disembarked the bus at Hollywood Studios and I immediately spied an unoccupied courtesy wheelchair. After waiting a minute or two to see if anyone claimed it (and ensuring that it did not have any documentation on it), I grabbed it for Sue and wheeled her through the park gates. Our first stop was the rental place for the motorized scooters. I filled out the paperwork and paid for the scooter using my credit card. Sue had never driven a scooter before, so she took a couple of spins around the street before we set off.

We decided to go to Rock ‘n Rollercoaster first. As we walked to that section of the park, I noted that Sue seemed to have trouble controlling the scooter. She crashed into several trashcans and a couple of times came very close to hitting pedestrians. As we turned into the area where the coaster is located, she ran over my heels. The backs of my shoes were stuck under her scooter and I had to yell at her to stop. I almost jumped into the front basket to save myself from injury.

When we reached the coaster, Sue told me that $3,000 had been stolen from her checking account that week via an unauthorized ATM withdrawal in San Diego. She said that an unknown person had accessed her account and that Bank of America was investigating it. Sue claimed that she never gave anyone her PIN number and that she was mystified as to how the money could have been stolen. As Dad and I went on Rock ‘n Rollercoaster, she was going to talk to an investigator from the bank.

Dad and I went on the coaster, which is my second favorite Disney ride after Splash Mountain. When we reached the end, we were surprised to see Sue sitting on her scooter in the offloading area. She had wheeled in through the exit and chatted up the castmember in charge of offloading. Sue declared that she was going on the coaster and immediately got off her scooter and hobbled through the “chicken exit” leading to the loading platform. Dad and I both protested and Dad tried to get her to try the sample seats to see if she would fit. “Bull****!”she yelled as she proceeded to the loading platform. The castmember in charge of loading did not ask us any questions or force us to wait in line. We were immediately seated in the last car and off we went.

I sat next to Sue and she had a lot of fun on the coaster. When we got off, she bought a photo of herself on the ride as “proof” and then insisted that all of us go on Tower of Terror. After she went on the Tower of Terror and purchased photographic proof of that adventure, Dad declared her “an enigma.”

As we were leaving the Tower of Terror, Sue got a call from the bank investigator. By listening to Sue’s end of the conversation, I could tell that he was incredulous about her claim. He repeatedly told her that it was impossible for someone to make an ATM withdrawal without her PIN. The investigator wanted the name of everyone who lived in the house and their relationship to her. Dad and I agreed that it did not look good for her to be on an expensive vacation with a felon the same week that her money was stolen. After a half-hour of speaking to the investigator, Sue ended the call and we headed to the main street of the park to browse the shops.

I was in one of the clothing stores when Sue wheeled in. Tears were streaming down her face and she said that her trip was “ruined.” Apparently she had tried to use an ATM and her card was denied. Sue made another call to Bank of America and they were unable to assist her. I assured her that I had enough money to get us through the trip and encouraged her to try to enjoy herself. I recommended that we see Lights! Motors! Action! and Dad and Sue agreed.

BIG DRAMA to follow in the next installment…..

We made our way to the Lights! Motors! Action! arena. Because Sue was in a scooter, we had to take an elevator to a row with seating for the disabled. As we entered the elevator, Sue deliberately crashed into another scooter driven by an elderly man. “Weee, it’s just like bumper cars,” she exclaimed. The man who was on the receiving end of her bump looked perplexed and did not seem to partake in her sense of fun. Dad just looked at me and laughed.

We took our seats and the show began. I turned to make a remark to Sue and noticed that she was sound asleep. Between the jet lag and the exertion of being out and about, I was not surprised that she was tired. I was surprised that she could sleep surrounded by loud noises and a roaring crowd. After the show, we woke Sue and decided to head back to CSR for a rest.

Sue sped ahead of us in her scooter as Dad and I were slowed by the crowds exiting the arena. As were walking, I noticed that Sue was heading towards a group of people who had stopped in the middle of the street. I called out to her to be careful and she neither responded nor deviated from her course. Thinking that she did not hear me and was not paying attention, I began to jog to catch up with her. As I drew closer, I became more concerned. No. It can’t be. But it was. Sue was fast asleep in her scooter, her finger still pressed against the accelerator button! About ten feet from the crowd of people, I caught up with her, pulled her hand off the trigger and shouted “SUE!” She awoke with a start and groggily looked around. I told her that she had been asleep and that she had to remain awake until we returned to the resort. I remained by her side, which was a good thing because she proceeded to fall asleep FIVE TIMES between the arena and the park exit.

Both Dad and Sue suffer from severe sleep apnea and I’m certain that contributed to her extreme fatigue at Hollywood Studios. Still, I had never seen Sue so tired and out of it.

We managed to get on the bus to CSR without incident. After we disembarked from the bus and the bus pulled away, Sue plopped down onto the curb and stated that she was not going to move. “Go away! Leave me here!” I told her that I was not going to abandon her on a curb at WDW and that she had to get up. Dad then expressed concern about her falling asleep while driving the scooter. “Do you ever worry that you will fall asleep while driving the car at home,” he asked? Sue’s reply was quick and furious. “Of course not you #!@#!&* ##%!!*%!” I had never heard such vulgar language at Disney World and hoped that no one else had heard Sue’s loud stream of obscenities.

Finally I managed to get Sue off the curb. I looked around for a club car, but none was in sight. I let her lean on me as we slowly began to head back to the room. After a few feet, we reach a grassy area and Sue plopped down again. I told her that she could rest when she got to the room. To my astonishment, Sue got on her hands and knees and began a slow crawl through the grass towards Ranchos 7B. Dad lost it and screamed at her. “Sue! People are going to think that you are retarded!” Still she crawled on towards the building.

After crawling for several feet, Sue regained her self-respect and stood up. I walked her to a large ornamental rock that was nearby so that she could sit while I went in search of a castmember with a club car. I found a man making a delivery and explained that I needed help with a disabled family member. He kindly drove us to the Ranchos buildings and a half hour later Sue staggered into her room and collapsed on the bed. I suggested that all of us rest and that I would meet them at 5:00 PM for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.

After resting (and calling my partner to vent about the trip), I went to Dad and Sue’s room to get them for the party. Sue said that there was no way that she could go, which did not surprise me. So, it was just Dad and me.

Our first stop was Crystal Palace for dinner. I like Crystal Palace and Dad did too. He proclaimed it the best buffet he had been to. I would not go that far, but it was good. The Pooh characters were out in force and as Piglet neared, Dad heaped his fork with pulled pork, lifted it into the air, and yelled, “How about some pulled pork, Piglet?” Piglet looked at us and put his hands to his mouth in horror, which elicited peels of laughter from Dad. Dad’s little stunt disturbed me then and it disturbs me to this day. I really wish that he had not done that.

After dinner, we wandered the Magic Kingdom going on rides and watched the parade and fireworks. Every ride was a walk-on and we covered a lot of ground. I really liked the Christmas party, but I think that Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is even better.

After the party, I walked Dad to his room and said hello to Sue. She had ordered a bucket of fried chicken for dinner from room service. We visited briefly and then retired for the night.

Sorry but in my opinion this is total fiction. It comes across exactly the same way as others who have attempted to use the Trip Report Board as a means to practice their creative writing skills.

This board is for folks who have actual trip reports to share with others. I find all of this impossible to believe and the fact that you started it out by saying this took place in 2008 immediately triggered my suspicions.

Your father being a convicted felon for smuggling illegal aliens into the country? Someone falling asleep in a moving scooter, yet keeping their finger firmly pressed on the accelerator? Crawling on their hands and knees back to their room? Setting up the mysterious "missing $3,000" caper............

LOL, too funny.

J

Everything I have written is 100% true. Absolutely true. Frankly, these antics are par for the course for Dad and Sue. I am giving a small glimpse into their lives over a five day period. Their real "at home" lives are much, much stranger and unhealthy.

People who know me and know Dad and Sue often ask me why I am not in therapy for life. The truth is that they are so over-the-top that their lives have taken on a camp quality. I can focus on the hilarity at the expense of the sadness and despair. And it helps that I was raised by my mother after the divorce.

I'm a long-time poster and believe that I have a good reputation on these boards. I would not make this up. Promise.

Sorry but in my opinion this is total fiction. It comes across exactly the same way as others who have attempted to use the Trip Report Board as a means to practice their creative writing skills.

This board is for folks who have actual trip reports to share with others. I find all of this impossible to believe and the fact that you started it out by saying this took place in 2008 immediately triggered my suspicions.

Your father being a convicted felon for smuggling illegal aliens into the country? Someone falling asleep in a moving scooter, yet keeping their finger firmly pressed on the accelerator? Crawling on their hands and knees back to their room? Setting up the mysterious "missing $3,000" caper............

LOL, too funny.

J

LOL, too funny.

J

It rings totally true to me, only because I know a "Dad" and "Sue" in my real life. Not my relatives, but real people none-the-less. If it is fiction, (which I doubt) I am loving it anyways. It's one of few trip reports here that remotely holds my interest.

I believe its true so carry on. If I were your dad I would let the extra baggage go (Sue). No disrespect of course. but it seems like she takes advantage of you and treats your dad like crap. I am hoping your trip got better.

I believe its true so carry on. If I were your dad I would let the extra baggage go (Sue). No disrespect of course. but it seems like she takes advantage of you and treats your dad like crap. I am hoping your trip got better.

Actually, I'm afraid that you have it backwards. Dad has always taken advantage of Sue and she has had ample reason to kick him out. Their relationship is very co-dependent. Sue is afraid of being alone. Dad has a spotty employment record and no money. They have known each other since childhood and are each other's only connections to a happier past.

Dad was a real mess for several years and going to prison was the best thing for him. He is off the drugs and alcohol. Since his release, he has made an extra effort to maintain a relationship with me and shows gratitude for the things that Sue has given him.

I think that Sue acted the way that she did on the Disney trip because she was finally confronted by the physical toll taken by years of inactivity, obesity, and depression. Since the trip, she has given me several excuses for her beahvior ranging from gallbladder problems to Dad's snoring keeping her up all night. I can tell that she is embarassed and regrets not being able to enjoy the trip. Going to WDW had been her longtime dream.

The week before he was arrested, I took Dad to Disneyland for two days. It was a miserable trip and I was hurt and repulsed by his bizarre behavior and entitlement attitude. Only later did I realize that he had been high on cocaine the entire trip. Despite the high drama, I was able to connect with Dad on the WDW trip in a way that I had not been able to in years. I accept that people change and I am willing to give second chances.

Seems some good did come out of the trip. It also seems you have a lot of patience. I would have had a melt down of my own.

Dad heaped his fork with pulled pork, lifted it into the air, and yelled, “How about some pulled pork, Piglet?” Piglet looked at us and put his hands to his mouth in horror, which elicited peels of laughter from Dad.

:rotfl2: I could totally picture my dad saying something like that!

I awoke early the next morning and took a quiet stroll through the beautiful grounds of CSR. The resort was peaceful and gorgeous in the morning light. I paused to look at the lake in the middle of the resort. Much to my delight, I spied a baby alligator hiding in the grass at the edge of the lake. I knew that there were often gators in the lake, but I was still excited to see one in person.

I went to the main building for coffee and a muffin and then stopped by the concierge desk to inquire about a courtesy wheelchair for Sue. The concierge was very helpful and immediately obtained one for me. I had to sign to check it out and the concierge said that we could keep it for the duration of our stay.

After the drama of the prior day, I was leery of Sue having another motorized scooter. She had demonstrated that she was unwilling and unable to safely operate a scooter. Because Sue did not have a credit card, I had to pay for her to rent the scooter using my Amex and sign a receipt for payment. I worried that I could be held liable if she injured someone or damaged property. I resolved to not rent another scooter for her and to rely on the push wheelchair instead.

Dad and Sue were pleased to see the wheelchair. Sue told me that she was not up for going to the parks that day and wanted to rest instead. While I waited for Dad to finish getting ready, Sue called the front desk and asked to arrange a massage. They transferred her to the spa and a clerk took her information. Sue explained that she was using a wheelchair and the clerk said that someone would come to the room and assist her with getting to and from the spa. Sue said that was great and then said that she also needed help getting to an ATM, the gift shop, and a restaurant. The clerk replied that her colleague would assist her to get to and from the spa and that other stops along the way were not possible.

I found it curious that the day before Sue was in tears over the alleged theft of $3,000 from her bank account and a declined ATM withdrawal and was now making an appointment for a massage (to be paid in cash) and asking to be taken to an ATM. I had learned long ago, however, not to ask questions about money. I never did find out what happened to the $3,000 and whether or not the bank’s investigator determined that there had indeed been a theft.

I told Dad about the baby alligator and of course he wanted to see it. We found the gator near where I had last seen it. Dad was disappointed that it was so small, but I explained that Disney relocates the gators when they become large enough to be a danger to guests.

We spent the morning and early afternoon at Animal Kingdom and had a very nice visit. Dad was marveling at Sue’s misadventures the day before and I expressed deep concern about the decline in her overall health. Her inability to walk more than five steps without stopping to rest and gasping for air was disturbing. Sue had always been overweight since I had met her in 1981, but she was quite active until the late 1990s. [Judging by photos, Sue experienced a dramatic weight gain in the late 1970s. Before then, she had been petit and athletic. One of her neighbors, a guy not playing with a full deck himself, once asked me if I had known Sue “before she was fat and ugly.” When I diplomatically replied that she had been a large woman as long as I had known her, he said that was a shame because she had once been “the spitting image of a young Elizabeth Taylor.” I can actually see a resemblance between Sue and Ms. Taylor in photos of Sue when she was in her late teens and early 20s.] I told Dad that I intended to express my concern to Sue sometime during the trip.

Dad is fascinated with venomous snakes and he was intrigued by being in a region of the country with water moccasins. The infamous moccasin scene in Lonesome Dove had made a big impression on him. He scanned the waterways at AK for snakes and asked numerous castmembers if they had encountered a moccasin at the park. None of them had. Coincidentally, we did see a green snake in some bushes, but it was not venomous and Dad took little notice of it. As we strolled through the park, Dad mused about throwing a ball of moccasins on Sue’s head as she slept.

Something that did capture Dad’s attention was DeVine. We saw her on the pathway between Asia and Africa. We watched her for several minutes and Dad thought that she was a hoot. He continues to ask me if I have seen her when I return from my Disney trips. I like DeVine too and took some great photos of her during my most recent trip to AK.

Dad told me that he and Sue wanted to give me an early Christmas present, so we went into a gift shop so that I could pick something out. I selected a Lennox replica of the Evil Queen’s box from Snow White. Dad was perplexed as to why I would want it and I simply replied that it was “a gay thing.”

After an uninspiring lunch at the counter service next to Yak & Yeti, we went back to CSR. I decided to swim and Dad sat by the pool as I did so. The main pool at CSR is well-themed and beautiful, but I decided to stick to the quiet pool outside my room. Even though it was early December, the water in the pool was quite warm.

After my swim, we went back to Dad and Sue’s room to see how she enjoyed her massage. She said that she did not get a massage because the masseuse told her that a massage in her present condition “could kill her.” I wondered if that was indeed true or if the masseuse wanted to kill an overly demanding client.

After visiting with Sue for a bit, I left to take a nap. We had dinner reservations that night at California Grill.

I had told Dad and Sue about how wonderful California Grill is and they were excited to have dinner. Using the courtsey push wheelchair, we made our way to the bus stop in no time and were soon on our way to the Magic Kingdom.

On the bus, Sue struck up a conversation with the lady next to her and proceeded to download the history of the past ten years of her life. While being whisked to the Happiest Place on Earth, Sue's seat companion was regaled by Sue's account of multiple people in her family dying within a short period of time, Sue's subsequent depression, and her suicidal thoughts. The lady listened attentively and seemed genuinely sympathetic.

We arrived at Magic Kingdom and then walked to the Contemporary. On the way, we discovered that the push wheelchair was not the ideal solution that we hoped that it would be. Sue's large buttocks were pressing the metal sides of the chair against the wheels and the subsequent friction was causing the metal to heat and burn Sue. We had to stop a few times to allow the sides of the chair to cool.

When we arrived at the restaurant, Sue sat in the lounge while Dad and I went out onto the observation decks and admired the beautiful views. I love the entire California Grill experience and taking in the views is a big part of any meal there. After a few minutes, our buzzer went off and we were seated in a prime location next to the windows.

The dinner was fantastic and the highlight of the trip. All three of us were in good spirits and there was no drama or weirdness. It reminded me of happier times when Dad had a legitimate job and Sue still owned her business. I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation and company.

During dinner, we watched as the Castle lit up with its thousands of Christmas lights. It was a gorgeous spectacle and the view from California Grill could not have been better.

After dinner, we went to the Magic Kingdom for the Spectro Magic parade and fireworks. We were able to get seats outside of the train station. Sue befriended an elderly couple and joined their card game. Dad and I wandered around Main Street until the parade began. Sue had asked me to buy her some dark chocolate, explaining that it was her primary measure for avoiding heart troubles. I went through the Emporium and bought her a bag of dark chocolate nonpareils (sp?). The parade and fireworks were fantastic as usual.

Dad and Sue were surprised by the chilly evening temperatures in Florida and I bought Sue a souvenir blanket for her to wrap up in. All of my other WDW trip had been in September and it was odd being there and needing long pants and a sweatshirt. One thing I did not miss was the morning ritual of applying copious amounts of sunscreen.

After the fireworks, we headed back to CSR. It had been a great night!

My apologies for letting this trip report lag for over a month. I've been in the process of moving (love the house, but my mantra for the past month has been "I hate moving!") and this is a busy time of the year at work.

Enough excuses. Let's get back to my misadventures with Dad and Sue.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Dad and Sue's room bright and early. Dad and I had agreed to spend the day at the Magic Kingdom. Sue would not be joining us. She had come to the conclusion that touring WDW was simply too taxing in her current physical condition. As Dad was getting ready, Sue pulled me aside and asked how much I had spent on her park tickets. I told her and she pulled out a sum of money and gave it to me. She said that she did not want me to be out of money on her account and thanked me again for treating her to the trip.

Since we had a quiet moment to ourselves, I told Sue that I loved her, but that the "wheelchair business" was ridiculous. I implored her to view her dismal experience on this trip as a wake-up call and to become more active. She promised to do so. I was glad to have spoken to her, but did not have much faith in her promise given her promises over the months preceding the trip that she was physically active and preparing for the vacation. I also recognized that Sue's poor physical and mental health would take more than a mere promise to overcome.

Dad and I left for the Magic Kingdom. Even though Dad has spent his entire life in southern California and been to Disneyland more times than he can count, he still wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom again rather than spend time at one of the parks unique to WDW. We had a good time and spent the day on our favorite attractions and reminisced about past Disneyland trips together.

I reminded Dad about the time that he told me that there was piano wire stretched across the tracks of Space Mountain and that the next car to return to the platform would be filled with headless bodies. We remembered the Disneyland visit when Sue and I were doused with a wave of water while riding Pirates of the Caribbean and spent three hours in the first aid clinic waiting for our clothes to dry. Dad told me about his high school grad night at Disneyland and mentioned a couple of visits that he took as a kid. He bemoaned the loss of the Pendleton woolen shop in Frontierland and the Frito Lay "kid" machine that dispensed free Fritos in the 1960s. It was good quality time for the two of us.

Of course all good things must come to an end and, as luck would have it, we returned to CSR and a new Sue crisis. Sue could not find her photo ID and Key to the World card. She had looked everywhere and simply could not find them. Dad suggested that perhaps she had been pickpocketed by the elderly couple that she had played cards with the night before. Since Dad and Sue were flying back to San Diego the next day, the missing ID could be a big problem. Sue said that she had called the front desk and that the manager was arranging for a US Marshal to visit the resort and give Sue a temporary ID that would permit her to board the plane. This set Dad off because under the terms of his probation, he was required to identify himself as a felon on probation to any law enforcement officer visiting his residence and report the visit to his own probation officer. Dad insisted that we turn the room upside down if need be before turning to law enforcement assistance as a last resort.

Dad searched through suitcases and I got on my hands and knees and looked under the beds and furniture. After about ten minutes, Sue triumphantly called out, "I found it!" Where had the ID and Key to the World been all this time? Why, in her purse of course! Sue said that they had adhered to the inside of a pouch in her purse.

Dad lost it. "Sue! This trip has been a living hell because of you!" Sue fell face down on the bed and kicked her legs while sobbing loudly. I was too exasperated to feel much compassion at this point and excused myself to take a nap before the evening visits to the parks.

This is the wildest TR I have ever read and I shouldn't admit this but... I laughed picturing Sue asleep on the ECV nearly taking out a group of people in the middle of DHS. :lmao: I'm looking forward to reading more about this trip. You have a lot more patience than I do for what you had to deal with on this trip.

I do hope you give a little update on both your dad and Sue as to where they currently are and how they're doing now that it has been 3 years since your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter