• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More Guests at Reception than Ceremony?

lurkyloo

The Attic was just perfect!
One of the cost-saving tips suggested by Mouseweddings.com is to have an Intimate with the max of 20 guests and then invite a bunch more people to a reception at one of the restaurants or an Illuminations dessert party.

This seems like an ideal solution for me, but I thought DFTW didn't allow this - I seem to recall several DIS brides who were told that the number of people at their dessert party had to match the number at their wedding ceremony, or even that their restaurant reception would be cancelled if they tried to book outside of DFTW. I know at least one bride had to switch to a Custom because of this.

Has anyone had a definitive answer? :confused3

TIA!

hmm that sounds strange but someone else on her might have a better answer. bumping it up.

i know as a custom bride they had no problem with our DP having 20 more guests than our reception.

One of the cost-saving tips suggested by Mouseweddings.com is to have an Intimate with the max of 20 guests and then invite a bunch more people to a reception at one of the restaurants or an Illuminations dessert party.

This seems like an ideal solution for me, but I thought DFTW didn't allow this - I seem to recall several DIS brides who were told that the number of people at their dessert party had to match the number at their wedding ceremony, or even that their restaurant reception would be cancelled if they tried to book outside of DFTW. I know at least one bride had to switch to a Custom because of this.

Has anyone had a definitive answer? :confused3

TIA!

I do not think that either one of these are true. A restaurant reception is not part of the basic Intimate package therefore, it doesn't matter how many people you have. As a matter of fact, I"m not even sure that you book a restaurant reception through DFTW?? I thought this was done on your own.

I believe the same goes for dessert receptions. Anyone can book a dessert reception, not just brides/grooms, so although you pay for each guest to attend, I've never heard of a cap on it. I mean if you pay for 25 and 50 show up, then that may not be a good idea! But I've never heard of it needing to match what your intimate wedding guest list was.

As a matter of fact, I'm sure that I've read in others trip reports that they had more people at their Dessert Reception.

Maybe some others with first hand experience can chime in here.

When I first called DFTW and spoke with them I was told you could not have a dessert party with more than 18 people. I was specifically told I would have to do a custom if I wanted to do this.
I never asked again after I got my WP. However, I have a sneaking suspicion it depends on who your WP is.

I don't know why it would matter because you can call Disney's Grand Gatherings number and set up a dessert party.

We're doing an intimate and believe I can answer. We're doing both a dessert party (instead of rehersal dinner) and a wedding dinner.

For the DP our WP told me that we are limited to the same number of guests because it's an event planned and paid through them. I tried to book it myself but was told that if I'm having a wedding it has to go through DFTW.

As for the dinner, you can have as many people as you want since it's not an event planned or paid to DFTW. I made my ADR for our wedding dinner myself, my WP actually advised me to because they were closed on the 180 day mark. Hope that helps.

I've been told that if you book the dessert party separately you won't be allowed to wear your wedding dress because it's treated as a private event rather than a wedding reception. This does allow you to have more guests.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! So it sounds like dinner = OK, dessert party = it depends... (which seems to be the answer for *everything* with DFTW!) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter