More good news from Iraq

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by JoeEpcotRocks, Sep 18, 2007.

1. JoeEpcotRocks

JoeEpcotRocks DIS Veteran

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL1772558920070917?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A row of beds lies empty in the emergency ward of Baghdad's Yarmouk Hospital. The morgue, which once overflowed with corpses, is barely a quarter full.

Doctors at the hospital, a barometer of bloodshed in the Iraqi capital, say there has been a sharp fall in victims of violence admitted during a seven-month security campaign.

Last month the fall was particularly dramatic, with 70 percent fewer bodies and half the number of wounded brought in compared to July, hospital director Haqi Ismail said.

:thumbsup2
    The surge is working. A big thank you to our troops and allies and the brave people of Iraq. No surrender.

2. Galahad

Galahad .....an appointment

I think it is working as far as it goes. But the Iraqi's need to make a lot more progress a lot more quickly. We should "surge" now, but we should not be willing to "surge" indefinitely.

3. JoeEpcotRocks

True.

The terrorists have gotten the message that we're not going to cut and run.

4. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Fitswimmer

Fitswimmer <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Sadly, the people we are supposedly over there to help have a different view-and they're not terrorists-they don't like Al Queda either:

6. transparant

transparant <font color=red>Oh say does that star-spangled ban

7. John VN

John VN DIS Cast Member

Have you ever noticed when a Police Car is driving near you (the surge) it seems like everybody obeys the speed limit, but, as soon as the police car exits (draw down) the roadway the speeds go right up.

Time will tell, one way or the other.

8. Pop Daddy

Pop Daddy <font color=red>Hey Sexy<br><font color=green>it w

hey, love good news :)

9. Tanuki

Tanuki DIS Veteran

Many of the "terrorists" were sectarians cleansing neighborhoods of the people on the other side.

The minority population had been holding the majority in Iraq under their thumb for years. With Saddaam gone it was payback time on the ones who didn't leave. What seems like random killing to us among Iraqis was probably not entirely random. Estimates of the Iraqis living in Syria and other neighboring countries run in the millions.

One thing I have heard recently in interviews with people who live there is that the population has now fled into separate neighborhoods where they can feel safe among their own clan and Iraqis are in the process of segregating themselves according to Sunni or Shiite. People can recognize friend from foe in their own neighborhoods thus decreasing the opportunity for complete chaos. Once this happens it is only natural that the killing would slow down except in the areas that still remain to be used by the general public.

10. Fitswimmer

And that's really the question isn't it? How much time are we willing to give Iraq's government? How many of our young people are we willing to sacrifice waiting for them to take some initiative?

First it was September, and when that date had come and gone with little or no meeting of benchmarks-now it's March. When is enough, enough?

11. NewJersey

NewJersey DIS Veteran

Never, for some people.

I think the surge has helped to accomplish some things, but we cannot expect to have a force of 150K there for the long term. It's time the Iraqis start taking care of things themselves and show us some progress. If March comes around and they still haven't met these benchmarks, then what? Enough is enough.

12. Fitswimmer

I doubt it. I think that March date will be pushed again, so that the next President has to clean up the mess and will get saddled with all the negativity. GW will ride off into the sunset, proclaiming that he "stayed the course" and stuck to his convictions-and his believers will nod their heads like the little dogs you see in the back of car windows.

13. NewJersey

NewJersey DIS Veteran

::yes:: And then we'll be called cowards for wanting to 'cut and run' and un-patriotic for not supporting the troops. It gets so old.

14. JoeEpcotRocks

What a wonderful, touching article. :goodvibes

Thanks for posting. :thumbsup2

15. Art Vandalay

Art Vandalay Professional Blusher

I certainly don't condone such name calling, but I assure you it gets old on the other side as well. Look at any thread in the past several years on Iraq (or any controversial subject, really) and you'll find insulting and derogatory comments pretty much equally distributed. Each side will put forth excuses for saying such things, but in my estimation, both do considerable damage to their cause when they act in such a manner.

I certainly don't begrudge anyone who disagrees with me on political matters. I have many rather unpopular stances on issues. Seems to me a lot of folks on the boards are so caught up in their own beliefs that they cannot understand how someone can honestly believe any different. The world is full of gray areas.

People who oppose the war are not unpatriotic or cowardly. People who support it are not ignorant, stupid or war-mongers. Honestly, I don't think the boards are a good reflection of society in general. Some of the things I see on here... most people would never say these things to someone's face. It's more over the top, more confrontational, more exaggerated, more hostile.

16. JoeEpcotRocks

Some people can't handle good news. They want it all to be a Bush bash and lets insult anyone who supports him or Iraq. :sad2:

17. Galahad

Galahad .....an appointment

::yes:: :thumbsup2

18. punkin

punkin <font color=purple>Went through pain just to look

:lmao: or I would be if the whole thing wasn't so sad. :sad1:

19. NewJersey

NewJersey DIS Veteran

Oh, I'm with you there that it goes on on both sides, and I can't pretend for a second that it doesn't. And you are right, when controversial topics get posted, people can hide behind a computer and post whatever they want. There is a lot less holding back I feel like, and more polarization.

I don't think people who support the war are ignorant or war-mongers. Nor do I think people who think we should leave Iraq are cowardly or un-patriotic. I think there are people on both sides who get so caught up in things that they don't take the time to breathe, take a step back, and take a look at the bigger picture. It seems everything is so divisive around here and you have to take sides.

20. Fitswimmer

and some people will only acknowledge one side of a story....

21. JoeEpcotRocks

Like you.