• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More Fun Than Sitting at Home! Our Dec 2009 TR-UPDATE: 6/11 Final Thoughts & Big News

:woohoo: For being first on TSM...that is so neat!!! We usually send my BIL to get us Fastpasses while the rest of us head to ToT and RnRC...he will not ride ToT so we do that until he gets back then we all head to the coaster.

I love that part of the park...the toys all remind me of being a kid...especially the barrel of monkey's.

We will have to run and get our own FP's this time since BIL won't be with us:confused:

Loved the pictures from the turnstiles....I love how the parks look empty....they're so peaceful.

DH and I were SO excited! It was probably our most talked about moment when we came back from the trip. The whole area of Pixar Place was new to all 6 of us. It was so bright and colorful! And every time we went through the TSM queue, we noticed something different and cute.

How cool that you were the very first people to ride TSM!!! :thumbsup2 This is something we missed on our last trip but is a "must-do" this May!! Now TOT is a different story--no one in my family has any interest in this ride!! :scared1:

ToT is a LOT of fun! I rode for the first time at 9 years old and my sister rode for the first time at 6. The first time it's pretty scary, but after that, it's just FUN! Give it a try!! :goodvibes

TSM is definitely a must-do! It's crazy though, so definitely go with a game plan. :thumbsup2

I loved TSM so much we ended up doing it twice too! I had no idea there was a Wii game for it! I might have to look into that.

The Wii game is great! It's all of the games from the ride, plus more. There are about 5 games for each game on the ride (5 alien/Buzz games, 5 Woody/Jessie games, 5 army men games, etc). But be prepared for your arm to be VERY sore afterwards!!

Thanks for joining in! I do recognize you from the tour! I guess I didn't notice your LGMH or I probably would have said hello. Although you are right, it was a pretty overwhelming day with so much going on. Oh well, nice to meet you now! :goodvibes But wasn't it a great tour?! I just loved it. DH and I were so glad we did it!

We lovedthe tour too.. I was a little worried before that it might 'ruin' the magic? but it just added to my appreciation of Disney and all the cast members at WDW!! I want to do it again and take a list of questions to ask.. I just couldn't think of anything when our tour guide asked for questions!! :rotfl: I just got to the KTTK tour on our TR.. brough back lots of fun memories.. like when we saw Dr Facilier from Princess & the Frog!

Looking forward to more updates.. I did Universal parks for the first time in years last summer, they do have some great attractions.. the parks just lack that 'Disney touch' ;)

Emma princess: x

ps - my DF is currently watching the Saints game on tv.. I think you guys are New Orleans fans too?!

We lovedthe tour too.. I was a little worried before that it might 'ruin' the magic? but it just added to my appreciation of Disney and all the cast members at WDW!! I want to do it again and take a list of questions to ask.. I just couldn't think of anything when our tour guide asked for questions!! :rotfl: I just got to the KTTK tour on our TR.. brough back lots of fun memories.. like when we saw Dr Facilier from Princess & the Frog!

Looking forward to more updates.. I did Universal parks for the first time in years last summer, they do have some great attractions.. the parks just lack that 'Disney touch' ;)

ps - my DF is currently watching the Saints game on tv.. I think you guys are New Orleans fans too?!

I agree with you on Universal for sure. I like the parks well enough, but we usually do them first, to end on the Disney magic side of our vacation. On our honeymoon, US was an afterthought, and it just wasn't the same leaving Disney to go to Universal for two days. This time, since we'd be there so long, we decided to spread them out throughout the trip, which worked out great for us as well. But Disney will always be superior for me in experience alone!

We are native New Orleanians, so we have been Saints fans for as long as I can remember!! It was crazy seeing so many people wearing Saints gear in the parks because honestly, they haven't been very good until the past few years, so it wasn't something we are used to seeing! :rotfl: Last night's game was a great one! Hopefully they play like that again next weekend against the Vikings. :thumbsup2

When I left off, we had just spent the first hour of park time at DHS riding Toy Story Mania, grabbing FPs for later, then riding Rock'n'Roller Coaster & Tower of Terror with no wait!

When the group got back together, we quickly put our heads together for form a loose plan for the rest of the day. First up, we all wanted to do The Great Movie Ride, which had a 10 minute wait posted, but wasn't really even that long at all. Somehow, not one of us took pictures of this ride, which is just crazy to me! At least not the outside, which I love because it's the "landmark" of DHS to me (even though, yes, I DO like the gigantic hat also!!).

Luckily, to save me from being a really horrible TR-writer who actually did something at Disney and didn't take a picture of it, my mom did get this shot from inside the ride:

IMGP0179.jpg

Coincidentally, this is my favorite part of the ride anyway, The Wizard of Oz! Our ride host/guide/whatever was a little lackluster, but we enjoyed the ride anyway. We had the cowboy "villain," which was different as I always remember getting the gangster, but the part was played by a girl, so not quite as convincing. :rotfl:

After our ride through the movies, we stopped to try and decide on a plan for the day. The shows were what was giving us the most trouble, because they all had only a couple of times during the day that they were performing. Priority was Lights Motors Action since my in-laws had never seen this one, and it's such a cool show! They also wanted to see Indiana Jones, but we decided it would have to wait until our next DHS day because there was just no way of fitting it in with the show times they had that day. Our other problem was the reservation I had made for noon at Sci-Fi. We couldn't decide if we wanted to keep it or not because we all remembered how long we had been at Biergarten and how much park time we had wasted on a sit down meal, and we were worried we wouldn't make it to the 1:20 pm LMA show.

So since it was about 11 am by this time, we decided to walk over and see if they would be able to seat us any sooner, like around 11:30. They said they could seat us now for sure, and possibly closer to 11:30 but they would have to check at that time. Since none of us were hungry just yet, we decided to go take a ride on Star Tours and come back. If they couldn't seat us, we would cancel the reservation and grab a CS lunch instead.

Off we went to take a trip to the moon of Endor (right? lol).

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

After getting ourselves sufficiently tossed around on a ride that is just as jerky and jarring as I always remember it, we went over to Sci-Fi again to try our luck at getting seated early. They said it would only be a short wait, so we checked in and got our pager. After only waiting about 5 minutes, it went off and we were seated in our car! DH and I took the front seat, my parents in the middle, and DH's parents in the back.

IMG_0878.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

Our mealtime entertainment! We were in the front car and all the way to the left of the screen so it was an awkward position, but we still enjoyed all of the cheesiness!

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Me, DH, and his parents all four got burgers and fries, which were delicious and really hit the spot! My dad got a reuben that he enjoyed, and my mom got the spinach & artichoke dip as her meal. I tried some of that too, and it was delicious!!

We finished our meal around 12:15, and this time our waitress (Holly) was speedy with bringing out the check! Since we still had time to kill before getting to the Lights Motors Action area, we decided to go check out Muppet Vision 3-D first. We got into the next show with no wait again, though I wouldn't have minded watching some of the pre-show. I LOVE the Muppets! Sorry to say DH didn't take any pictures here either, but we have some on a later day!

I just love this show. It makes me feel like a kid watching The Muppet Show again! And I <3 Bean Bunny, he's SO cute! Did anyone ever see the Muppet special from MANY MANY years ago called The Frog Prince? I used to LOVE this as a kid and watched it all the time, and started looking for it on DVD, but apparently it's only available on VHS. :-( Random, but such a fond memory.

By the time the show was finished and we walked through the Streets of America to get to the LMA stadium for the 1:20 showing, we were getting our seats for 1 pm. Not bad.

IMGP0186.jpg

DH took a bunch of pictures of this show, but a lot of them you can't really understand what is happening, so I'll just post some of the best "action" shots.

IMG_0883.jpg

The rest of the park in the distance

IMG_0885.jpg

The set while we answered the trivia questions & waited for the show to start.

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

The backwards jump

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

Shootout!

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

My favorite part of the show, the cars driving on 2 wheels!

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

Continued in next post...

And DH's favorite part, the explosive finale!

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

After the show, those TSM fastpasses were just burning a hole in our pockets, so we headed back towards Pixar Place to use them! We took our time getting there to get some pictures of the Christmas decorations that were part of the Osborne lights display in the daytime.

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

The wait time was like 70 or 80 minutes by that time, so we were happy to breeze on in through the FP entrance. This time, I made sure DH got some pictures of the queue while we walked through!

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0977.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

After another fun spin through the games, DH still beat me!

IMG_0021.jpg

We talked about doing the Backlot Tour next, but the wait time was something ridiculous like 40 minutes, so instead, we decided to check out the attractions close by that we normally skip. My mom has recently become pretty obsessed with the Narnia movies, so she really wanted to do the Prince Caspian attraction. None of the rest of us were interested, so we split up so her and my dad could go check it out. Here's some of her pictures from Narnia.

DisneyTrip072.jpg

DisneyTrip080.jpg

DisneyTrip081.jpg

DisneyTrip083.jpg

DisneyTrip073.jpg

DisneyTrip076.jpg

Can't you tell how excited she is to be meeting Prince Caspian?!

Meanwhile, DH and I and his parents decided to go over to Walt Disney: One Man's Dream. We had a nice while to walk around and explore before the next presentation for the movie started, so we did just that.

If it was up to me, we'd have a picture of literally everything in this walk through, but unfortunately (or luckily!) DH had control of the camera.

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

Mock up of Main Street USA

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

Model of Sleeping Beauty Castle for Disneyland

Continued in next post...

IMG_0993.jpg

Model of Adventureland

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

Model of Spaceship Earth

IMG_1008.jpg

No explanation needed for this one!

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Model of Typhoon Lagoon

IMG_1015.jpg

Model of the castle from Disneyland Paris

IMG_1016.jpg

Model of the Tree of Life

After about 10 minutes of looking around, the theater opened for the next showing of the movie, so we filed into our seats. I got myself a little close to tears a couple of times during the movie, but I kept myself composed.

Next, we met up with my parents again outside, and decided to head into the next showing of Voyage of the Little Mermaid. This is one of my favorite shows, so DH was happy to use his new lens to get good pictures in the dark without the flash. Most of the ones of Under the Sea came out blurry, but he got a few good ones of Ariel and Ursula.

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1038.jpg

UP NEXT: Finishing up at DHS and hopping to MK for Spectro & Wishes!

Great pics. We usually give DHS the short shrift, often only spending a few hours there per trip. There's a lot of stuff that I have seen enough times or that I don't care for. (GMR, LMA, Backlot Tour) We never get to "One Man's Dream" or "Magic of Disney Animation" though, which I would like to do. I think in October I want to devote a day to that park, though.

I do like VotLM, though I think it could really use an update. I wonder if the opening of the new Little Mermaid ride will lead to its eventual demise. (There was a similar Lion King puppet show in MK until they opened AK abd FotLK, then the MK Lion King show got the axe in favor of Philharmagic.)

SkierPete

Great pics!!! I love One Man's Dream.....I can't wait to wander through there again.

I think I have sped through it before on previous trips, but it was nice to wander around and take everything in. Walt Disney was such a great & inspiring man! :thumbsup2

Great pics. We usually give DHS the short shrift, often only spending a few hours there per trip. There's a lot of stuff that I have seen enough times or that I don't care for. (GMR, LMA, Backlot Tour) We never get to "One Man's Dream" or "Magic of Disney Animation" though, which I would like to do. I think in October I want to devote a day to that park, though.

I do like VotLM, though I think it could really use an update. I wonder if the opening of the new Little Mermaid ride will lead to its eventual demise. (There was a similar Lion King puppet show in MK until they opened AK abd FotLK, then the MK Lion King show got the axe in favor of Philharmagic.)

SkierPete

DHS has always been my second favorite park after MK, but this was the first year where I felt like we really EXPLORED this park and did more than just the thrill rides. We took our time at One Man's Dream, DH and I did the Animation Academy 4 times (we LOVED it, I bet your DD would too!). I know most people aren't crazy about this park, but there is so much to do! We went three times over our trip, and actually spent 95% of our very last day there, which I wouldn't have ever thought I would want to do.

I hope they don't get rid of Voyage! Although, you make a point that they probably will. :sad2: I really hope not though, because it is one of my favorite Disney shows. I love the music! But I am excited to see what they come up with in the way of a Little Mermaid ride too. :thumbsup2

After taking the entire 30 day to edit, then order, our PhotoPass Pictures are FINALLY in! I made myself crazy by doing a ridiculous amount of edits, which ended up on 8 discs :scared1:! I didn't want to look back and say, "Oh, I wish I had put that border on this pic!" so...I did them all? :confused3 I will probably be much less ambitious next time, though!!

But anyway, I picked out a few to catch me up to where I am on the TR, which isn't many considering we only took them with characters at Epcot on Day 2, and I haven't got to the DHS ones yet. So here they are!

From the Character Connection at Epcot:

Image0039.jpg

Image0090.jpg

Image0144.jpg

Image0151.jpg

Image0199.jpg

Image0211.jpg

Image0241.jpg

Meeting Donald at the Mexico Pavilion of World Showcase:

Image0264.jpg

Image0297.jpg

Image0318.jpg

And meeting Snow White at the Germany Pavilion of World Showcase:

Image0384.jpg

Image0437.jpg

Nice update :thumbsup2 .. I love One Mans' Dream, spent ages there on our trip in 2006 because I was doing my final paper at university (10,000 words!) on 'Inspirational Leadership'.. who else to pick but Walt Disney?! ;)

Lol nice to know I'm not the only one who gets choked up in the film at the end of the attraction!!
My sister and I both cried a little during the KTTK tour, when our guide explained the partners' statues?! :sad1: .. we both had to put our sunglasses on to hide our eyes!! :rotfl:

Holy cow!! EIGHT PP cds?!?! WOW!! I thought I was bad with 2--I edited like crazy adding LOTS of borders as well. I can't imagine how long it took you to do that!! Impressive!! :thumbsup2

Looks like ya'll did a lot in HS!!! Oooh--we need to check out One Man's Dream in May--that's somethign we didn;t see last year. It looks fascinating!! TSM is also something on our list for this May!! And your DH did get some great pics from the Little Mermaid Show!! I was unsuccessful in getting any decent pics last year. Your mom looks sooo cute posing with Prince Caspian!! :goodvibes

Nice update :thumbsup2 .. I love One Mans' Dream, spent ages there on our trip in 2006 because I was doing my final paper at university (10,000 words!) on 'Inspirational Leadership'.. who else to pick but Walt Disney?! ;)

Lol nice to know I'm not the only one who gets choked up in the film at the end of the attraction!!
My sister and I both cried a little during the KTTK tour, when our guide explained the partners' statues?! :sad1: .. we both had to put our sunglasses on to hide our eyes!! :rotfl:

I wish I'd had an assignment in school that let me do a paper on Walt! :thumbsup2 I would definitely enjoy doing that kind of research. He's such a fascinating guy!

I got tears in my eyes at that same part of the tour! It gave me chills, for sure. :hug: I won't ever look at those statues the same way again...

Holy cow!! EIGHT PP cds?!?! WOW!! I thought I was bad with 2--I edited like crazy adding LOTS of borders as well. I can't imagine how long it took you to do that!! Impressive!! :thumbsup2

Looks like ya'll did a lot in HS!!! Oooh--we need to check out One Man's Dream in May--that's somethign we didn;t see last year. It looks fascinating!! TSM is also something on our list for this May!! And your DH did get some great pics from the Little Mermaid Show!! I was unsuccessful in getting any decent pics last year. Your mom looks sooo cute posing with Prince Caspian!! :goodvibes

Haha I know, I was a little embarrassed to post the number here! But I'm the kind of person that always looks back and says, "I should have done this instead of that!" and I didn't want to do that with the pictures. And I figure I'm paying the same price for the CD whether it has one picture on it or one million. So why not go crazy a little??

I think I have breezed through One Man's Dream before, but this was the first time I really explored it. It was fantastic! And you can't miss TSM! It's so fun, your kids will really love it! :thumbsup2 My mom reads my posts, so I'm sure she'll appreciate your compliment about her & her newfound love, Prince Caspian! :love:

Haha I know, I was a little embarrassed to post the number here! But I'm the kind of person that always looks back and says, "I should have done this instead of that!" and I didn't want to do that with the pictures. And I figure I'm paying the same price for the CD whether it has one picture on it or one million. So why not go crazy a little??

Oh no!! Please don't be embarassed!! I felt the same way when I was doing the editing on my pictures. I just didn't end up with as many PP pics b/c of all the rain we had on our trip or I would have had A LOT more cds. The PP photographers just weren't out in the rain and it rained the entire week we were there! I totally agree about getting your moneys worth!! :thumbsup2

I just found your tr. I have been like this :surfweb: all morning. We were there the same week as you, Dec 8-13. Maybe we will cross paths. I already found someone on anther tr that we sat next to at dinner one night. It is a small world after all.

Thanks for posting all those pictures of Bonnets Creek. I have heard of other people staying there. I am looking for other options for our family of 5. Do you have buy into the time share to stay there? If not I wonder how reasonably priced it is.

DAY 4: Monday December 7th

Buying the game for the Wii helped and hurt. It helped in that we knew what to expect from the games. But it also gives away all of the "secrets" of how to score more points with not as much time to complete the objectives.

I had no idea there was a TSM Wii game. That is so on my list to buy the kids. All Christmas we were trying to figure out a good new game to get them. I am so excited that I may even start to play the Wii. :rotfl:

HOGWARTS! I think this is all going to be so amazing when it's finally completed!

IMG_0662.jpg

I love this sign. It stays true to HP. We are all big HP fans in my family. My oldest was just learning to read big books when the first one came out and hasn't stopped reading them. We have had to replace a few of her copies because she has read them so much. Our next trip will certainly include Universal for HP but your other photos have encouraged me to go to the Universal Parks for other reasons. Dare, I say that I have a feeling my kids my prefer that to Disney?:confused3

Can't wait to read more.

I just found your tr. I have been like this :surfweb: all morning. We were there the same week as you, Dec 8-13. Maybe we will cross paths. I already found someone on anther tr that we sat next to at dinner one night. It is a small world after all.

Thanks for commenting! That would be funny if you turned up in some of our pics! I have a lot to post still, so it could happen. I found a picture of my DH in someone's trip report [we were on KTTK together and I didn't even know!]

Thanks for posting all those pictures of Bonnets Creek. I have heard of other people staying there. I am looking for other options for our family of 5. Do you have buy into the time share to stay there? If not I wonder how reasonably priced it is.

We own there, but you don't have to be an owner to stay there. It would probably be cheaper to rent from an owner than to book with them yourself. Whenever you plan to stay there, start looking at the board for Orlando hotels right here in the Dis. There is a guy who rents his Bonnet Creek timeshare out for a good price. I can't remember his name, but if you check out other Bonnet Creek threads, it'll probably say. It's a beautiful resort, and no more than a 5 minute drive to all the parks from there! We had no trouble with staying there with a rental car. I actually preferred it to the busses! No standing and waiting 30 minutes for a bus when you are dead tired and then having to stand on a bus all the way back to your resort!

I had no idea there was a TSM Wii game. That is so on my list to buy the kids. All Christmas we were trying to figure out a good new game to get them. I am so excited that I may even start to play the Wii. :rotfl:
This would DEFINITELY have you playing the Wii! The kids & you would love it. We love it and don't even have any kids! :laughing:

I love this sign. It stays true to HP. We are all big HP fans in my family. My oldest was just learning to read big books when the first one came out and hasn't stopped reading them. We have had to replace a few of her copies because she has read them so much. Our next trip will certainly include Universal for HP but your other photos have encouraged me to go to the Universal Parks for other reasons. Dare, I say that I have a feeling my kids my prefer that to Disney?:confused3

Can't wait to read more.

If your kids like fast thrill rides, be prepared for Universal to surpass Disney in their minds! It did for DH, though we both still love Disney for the magic! Universal is great and there is a lot to do there, but just enough to only need a few days max to see it all, so you can spend more time at Disney. :thumbsup2

I can't wait for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to open! I'm a huge fan of the movies and an even bigger fan of the books! I've read the entire series at LEAST 5 or 6 times if not more. It's like I can't just pick one and re-read it, I have to read them all!

Oh no!! Please don't be embarassed!! I felt the same way when I was doing the editing on my pictures. I just didn't end up with as many PP pics b/c of all the rain we had on our trip or I would have had A LOT more cds. The PP photographers just weren't out in the rain and it rained the entire week we were there! I totally agree about getting your moneys worth!! :thumbsup2

Luckily we didn't have a lot of rain to stop us when it came to PhotoPass. But you could bet if we saw a photographer without an extraordinarily long line, we were getting in it! :rotfl:

THE SAINTS ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Sorry, had to do it!! I'll be back with a REAL update tomorrow!!

:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Sorry, had to do it!! I'll be back with a REAL update tomorrow!!

Ya know, I knew when I turned on the computer this morning I'd find this post. I was rooting for the Saints, though, 'cause I am sick of Brett Farve and wish he would go away. (Though I'm guessing he won't.) Though the Saints were lucky the Vikings were so sloppy, because they're vaunted offense pretty much vanished in the second half with the turnover parade from the Vikings.

But, I like the superbowl match-up, should be a good game this year. The Saints will have to play better than that to beat Manning, though.

Ya know, I knew when I turned on the computer this morning I'd find this post. I was rooting for the Saints, though, 'cause I am sick of Brett Farve and wish he would go away. (Though I'm guessing he won't.) Though the Saints were lucky the Vikings were so sloppy, because they're vaunted offense pretty much vanished in the second half with the turnover parade from the Vikings.

But, I like the superbowl match-up, should be a good game this year. The Saints will have to play better than that to beat Manning, though.

:thumbsup2

You know, the broadcasters said it last night and it's so true. The Dome has seen one of the worst times in New Orleans history when it became a shelter for Katrina. So to see it rebuilt and then to have a Saints team make us so proud to be Saints fans bring the playoffs to the Dome and then win the NFC Championship is a HUGE thing for our city. After my Facebook news feed exploded, it was so crazy that I knew I needed somewhere else to cheer! :rotfl: Such an emotional and exciting win! You are right though, they will have to bring their A+ game to beat the Colts, but it will be an exciting game anyway!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter