• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More fun planning resort stays than park tours?

litlpixie

DIS Veteran
Am I the only one who gets more joy out of planning my resort stays than planning the daily tours at the parks?? Don't get me wrong I love WDW and all it stands for and theres nothing like watching my kids w/ their goofy hats skip down Main St....but I dont know, lately it seems I'm beginning to realize that planning on what resort we'll be staying at next is all I want to think about, be it a new one or back to AKL, which I cant seem to get out of my head because it was so awesome (cant beat their concierge!!) Just wondered if maybe I'm not a Disney park Freak, but a Disney-Resort freak!!!!!:D

litlpixie>> I can totally relate to your post! I also understand about AKL's concierge and the need to go back. You don't know how hard (or maybe you do!) it is to keep my reservation at the Poly GVC in order to give DD her dream vacation! (She wasn't with us at AKL any of the times so she has no idea what she is asking for and giving up!)

Since we go the new "This is the one thing we want to do/see/get done today, the rest we wing-it" philosphy, we don't fret over parks, park order, or what to do. We actually have fun taking the first bus that shows up and starting from there! Since we start at our resort and come back in the afternoon, having a place where we feel at home and comfortable does matter. The bonus is, it isn't TOO at home since there are no dishes or cleaning to do! :)

In the scheme of things, both the parks and resorts are ALL Disney. Does that make us freaks? Well, welcome to the DIS where we are with like company!

Debbie

The more I talk to people about WDW, I realize that the enjoyment level is extremely high for planning which hotel to stay at. I take pride in counting how many of the resorts I've had the pleasure of vacationing at.

My favorite vacation (1997) was when I came up with the bright idea to spend our 10 days in two different resorts, something that is becoming quite commonplace now. We started out at the "new" Wilderness Lodge for 3 nights (which we ADORED; great cast members, wonderful ambience) and finished off with 7 nights at the gorgeous Yacht Club (lagoon view; cast members not so nice, best view of Epcot & fireworks).

This trip afforded us the luxury of spending every other day lounging by the resort pools, shopping in the gift shops on site and enjoying the various restaurants there. Artists' Point and Yachtsmans Steakhouse (and even the Yacht Club Galley) were wonderful dining experiences.

I think the reason for this fascination with the resort hotels is the fact that these hotels are theme parks of sorts (AKL is the latest). Pity those who do not feel the need to stay at one of these beauties--they really are filled with the magic!!:wave2:

I agree as well, I really enjoy the "stress" of choosing the resort, waiting for the codes, discounts, etc.

Now that that part is done for me, staying at CSR with the 7/5 deal, I am now trying to put together a park touring plan. This part is AS stressful, but not nearly as much fun. The planning part that is, not the actual doing :)

We are all about the resorts! The parks are fun, but they don't change much.

After the resort decision, there are the restaurants to pick. :D

My FAVORITE part of a WDW vacation is the planning of which resort to stay at? Such questions as should we split our stay with 2 resorts? Concierge? Monorail, EPCOT?
This
Most of my planning time is used to research the hotels, even though I've stayed at all through the years, things change and I love reading these boards and taking opinions and suggestions for all posts. Because the resort is your "first" sight to start your Disney vacation, I think it has to be the best for you (whatever you want out of that visit)

THANKS FOR being one the Resot Fanatics! :sunny:

litlpixie, I'm right there with you. I love the whole process of picking a resort, looking at all the info about it on the web, thinking about room layouts, changing my mind and starting the process over again...

In fact, I'm beginning to think I enjoy the overall planning process to actual vacations at WDW. LOL.

And CoolDisneyCat is so right-- LOVE the restaurant choosing, too.

I love the parks too of course, but I don't spend a lot of energy planning park trips-- the only reason I think much about it is to coordinate it with priority seatings and early entry. The resort experience is very important to me.

I spend FAR more time planning the resort portion of the trip than anything else - I know of people who plan each minute of park time but we always have more fun doing the parks on the fly!!! I have a few surprises planned for DH & our 15th wedding anniversary so I have a bit more "planned" this time but I've switched resorts/ressies 4 times already!!!
Christine

I know what you mean, our past trip in April I must have changed ressies 4x, before I finally settled on POR and AKL. Who knows how many times this next trip. I gotta stop putting my resorts in my signature, because most likely it 'll change by the time we leave! It's great isnt?? So many great resorts and a whole year to decide, plus restaurants!!! Hmmm, now do I go Ohana or back to Jiko? Crystal Palace again or Chef Mickey's again? You really could go nuts..:bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter