More free dining....grrrr!

I know that what you are saying is true for the US market, which will be most folks reading this, but let me give you 2 examples of what is on offer in the UK. I have converted sterling to dollars at a current commercial rate of £1 = $1.64 for this exercise.

14 nights at either OKW or SSR in a studio with the DDP AND 14-day ultimate park tickets for 4 people (could be 2 adults and 2 teenagers) for early May next year: *$4486. A one bedroom would be *$5633. This works out at a nightly rate of $320 for the studio including DDP and park passes and $402 for a one bedroom; same deal. (There are no additional taxes to pay on these figures by the way).

According to another All Ears, the regular rates for the accommodation alone for this year in early May is $340 for a studio and $470 for a one bedroom plus taxes of approximately 12.5%. So approx $382 for a studio and $529 for a one bedroom.

So, a UK visitor is getting an OKW or SSR studio at $382-$320 = $62 cheaper than a US visitor and with the dining plan and park tickets included.

Now in my book, that is a great deal ;). I haven't done all the permutations, but the good deal is not only restricted to the low periods although it does exclude the peak times.

One of the mods on the UK board is doing this offer again for the 3rd time in August for himself and his wife and teenage son. I know he wouldn't mind me disclosing that he wouldn't pay Disney prices for either food or accommodation but he thinks it works out cheaper staying at OKW than staying in a budget hotel offsite and paying for meals - again offsite - for the 3 of them! If only Disney would throw in free wifi too with the deal I think his cup would runneth over ;)

*Edited to add, in the UK you can also get a 3% cashback discount on these prices too if you go to Disney booking via a cashback site!

And the room is still worth what... $200 at MOST! Seriously, the problem with this argument is your starting pont for the 'great deal' is $340 a night :lmao::lmao:

So Disney has a $200 MAX room value that with "free dining" they are getting $320. But since it's "discounted" and "Free" it must be a great deal:confused3

Just went on line. Wyndam Bonnet Creek for "high" season... I can get a one bedroom for $209 a night. So Disney is getting $200 mark up for providing "free" dining and tickets? :woohoo: As a stockholder I love it. As a consumer I am amazed that "that's a deal" LOL! And I am not wasting my cash on this "deal" LOL!

I know the economy is slow and Disney uses Free Dining to boost the number of guests, but ....( Venting Starts NOW!) can they ever give a little break to us DVCers. I have to say that I would love to add that $1500 (4 adult standard dining and one kiddo) to my travel account or even a portion. Really Bugs me sometimes because I pay my annual dues and my ownership, and usually just a length of stay pass with no discounts! VENT stops now!

Does it stop me from visiting my Happy Place, NO but would love that perk sometimes..,

Rent your points and do the deal - you should come out ahead if that is what you think the deal gives you.

I rented some points this year but still took a DVC vacation. I was able to pay for tickets and dining plus my dues.

This was not the norm for me but it helped balance my budget nicely just this once (actually had to cancel an earlier planned trip and had too many points to use!)

And the room is still worth what... $200 at MOST! Seriously, the problem with this argument is your starting pont for the 'great deal' is $340 a night :lmao::lmao:

So Disney has a $200 MAX room value that with "free dining" they are getting $320. But since it's "discounted" and "Free" it must be a great deal:confused3

Just went on line. Wyndam Bonnet Creek for "high" season... I can get a one bedroom for $209 a night. So Disney is getting $200 mark up for providing "free" dining and tickets? :woohoo: As a stockholder I love it. As a consumer I am amazed that "that's a deal" LOL! And I am not wasting my cash on this "deal" LOL!

My example was for 4 people - so it includes the DDP for 4 and park passes for 4. If you eat onsite, then you could easily spend more than $200 a day on food alone for that party, leaving $120 for the room and the park tickets (for 4 remember) per day - yes a great deal in my opinion!

It's not the way I vacation, but lots do. If your main argument is that Disney food and accommodation is way overpriced to begin with, well, we agree.

I sleep well knowing we get about a 70% discount on our room while the free dining vacationers pay full price for theirs.:thumbsup2

I sleep well knowing we get about a 70% discount on our room while the free dining vacationers pay full price for theirs.:thumbsup2

Agreed!

I will say this...I remember someone brought up the same argument at the Condominium Association Meeting @ Contemporary Resort last year during the Q&A with Jim Lewis. What he said was that even though these people are getting "deals" of free dining now, several years down the road these "discounts" may not be available to everyone, but DVC members will still be locked in at our discounted rate. At the end of the day I feel better with that! :goodvibes

HATE FREE DINING!

I hate what it does to the ability to get into my favorite restaurants. I hate that it means lots of families with very young screaming children will be invading our favorite white table cloth places. I hate that it makes people here complain about not getting it. But most of all, I hate what it has done to the quality of the food at our favorite places. It seems since Free Dining and the dining plan, most places have cut their menu down to the bare bones to increase profits. It means that those of us not getting it are subsidizing those who do.

HATE FREE DINING!

I hate what it does to the ability to get into my favorite restaurants. I hate that it means lots of families with very young screaming children will be invading our favorite white table cloth places. I hate that it makes people here complain about not getting it. But most of all, I hate what it has done to the quality of the food at our favorite places. It seems since Free Dining and the dining plan, most places have cut their menu down to the bare bones to increase profits. It means that those of us not getting it are subsidizing those who do.

Exactly!:thumbsup2 Because people perceive it as "free" (which they're really paying for it through rack room rate, but whatever) they have to get the most out of it so they'll drag their exhausted children to late reservations at restaurants that the kids could care less about -- it's crazy. I know that happens anyway, but it seems to be more so during free dining. I'm much happier staying in my comfortable 1 BR DVC unit than the four of us crammed into a value or mod getting "free" dining.

Before we owned DVC we stayed at a value for the free dining. Back then they gave you everything (tax, tip and appetizers) included with your FD. For our up coming trip we are staying at BLT, I did the math and it's not worth it to pay out of pocket to get the FD. It's cheaper to use our TIW card and stay at DVC.

I don't want free dining and I don't want the dining plan. So I'm fine with not having free dining offered to DVC.

It's really not a good deal to start with unless you're willing to book a value or moderate resort. Getting free dining with a DVC villa would mean paying $4-500 rack rate. Unless it's being suggested that Disney should just give us totally free food for making DVC points bookings and I am afraid I'm not clear on why they might want to do that.

How many DVC'ers would be willing to sell their DVC timeshare and pay full rack rate from now on in order to get "Free Dining"

OK, I see no hands... :rotfl:

I'm a little surprised by the dates, personally. It includes people coming down for President's Week (as long as they check in by Saturday) *and* the week before Easter (again, by Saturday).

I'm a little surprised by the dates, personally. It includes people coming down for President's Week (as long as they check in by Saturday) *and* the week before Easter (again, by Saturday).

I was surprised by that myself. Great deal for all those people who come in that week due to school schedules and typically don't get very many deals.

Yes, I'm not sure why people are freaking out about the so called "Free Dining".

For example: We are staying at BCV in a one-bed, full kitchen, washer/dryer, jacuzzi tub with flight, food and tickets for about $3,100....that includes a percentage of annual dvc dues at $600.

In all my glory and pursuit for getting free dining I could have this awesome deal if I pay $1,200 more than my DVC setup listed above.

The French Quarter (Standard room, no frills) standard view.

Hummm....$1,200 more to stay at FQPO....I think not.:rotfl:

Bfrosty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter