More Fluff ~ Silly things you thought as a kid.

Riding down a road and seeing the "Deer Crossing" signs always confused me. I mean, how did the deer know where to cross the street? Could they read?

I thought in the song "She's Like the Wind" Patrick Swayze was saying "just a fourth of a leaf" instead of "just a fool to believe". Thought this for a long time actually....

I was always puzzled and a tad frightened when driving in the car on the highway. We'd go by exits that were under construction and I'd see the ramp go up and then just end, off into nothing, and always worried about that happening, and how did Dad know not to go there. Duh... there are signs...

I also wondered how the heck anyone negotiated suspension bridges. How did you ever keep the wheels of the car on those swoopy cables?

When my Dsis and I were young (under 10?), my mom had anemia, so our neighbor, who was a nurse, came over weekly to give her vitamin B and iron injections. My dad used to say she needed a hot beef injection, which my sis and I thought meant a cup of beef bouillon, like chicken soup only from beef, to make her healthier. We were in our THIRTIES before we finally understood what he REALLY meant:rotfl2:

:rotfl2: This had me laughing at loud!

In the church that I grew up in the kids would sit with the adults during the singing and then would be sent to their class during the sermon. I would get frustrated every week because when it was time to go the pastor would tell the kids "you are the Smiths." I knew that I was the only Smith there, and what did being a Smith have to do with going to children's church? When I was older I realized he was saying "you are dismissed."
:lmao:

When I was about 6, I thought that the Mouseketeers (the original ones, mind you!) always went everywhere together, in a bunch. Wearing their ears.

My first visit to the planetarium at the museum had me convinced that you waited until dark, the ceiling flew off and somehow the whole theater rocketed into space to see the night sky.

When I was 5 years old, I thought succotash was a swear word. My family would try to get me to say it and I refused because I was afraid I would get in trouble for swearing.

I thought that because I was a girl I wouldn't have to get a job and work when I grew up. I was so sadly mistaken.

Ds was 2 when we adopted him and a few weeks after we brought him home, we were swimming, he was riding on my back and he was digging through my hair. He said he was looking for the eye in the back of my head. He said all mom's have them. I was new at the whole mom thing and it felt surreal, felt like laughing and crying.

I thought you could stick your hand out of a plane's window & grab a piece of cloud as a souvenir. Big dissapointment for my 1st time flying byt the way.

A stewardess did this for my dd when she was about 4 or 5. She asked her if she would like some cloud, then went out to the galley where she (stuck her hand out of the window) put some dry ice in a cup and brought it out to my dd.

I thought that there was only one type of dog (kind of like a shaggy golden retriever looking dog).

I grew up in southwestern PA, and whenever we drove into West Virginia I would see the exit for Bethlehem and I was pretty sure that was where Jesus was born.

I thought newborn babies were born with clothes on.

I thought when I saw clouds moving it was the world turning.

This is going back aways so many of you may not know what I'm referring to. In grade school, we would have air raid drills. The alarm would sound, we got up from our classroom chairs and filed out two by two to the hallway. We made our way down the hall and stood against the wall under or near a fallout shelter sign. I didn't know how a small metal looking sign high up on the wall was supposed to protect or help us but there we stood until the drill was over and we filed back to class. I thought that perhaps if a bomb hit, the sign opened up and walls came out of it to cover us, but that seemed unlikely.

Not all of us are too young to remember that! Standing in the hallway, and then the principal would come over the PA system with the command, "Drop!"

Everyone would sit on their heels and curl into a little ball with one arm under your forehead and the other over the back of your neck, while the principal solemnly led a ten second count. I guess that was so that we'd be curled up when the blast wave hit? We lived 7 miles north of downtown Houston, and we all figured that we'd be incinerated anyhow since the ship channel and downtown were both known targets.

Yeah, I remember those air raid drills, too. None of it made sense to me. Why were we inside? For fire drills we always went outside, why not for these drills, too? Of course, it's highly amusing that everyone thought we were protected from nuclear blasts by curling up in a ball and lacing our fingers behind our necks!

somewhere i heard a story about alligators in NY city sewers - so I was convinced that rats, alligators, etc could end up in our toilet bowls at home. Mind you we lived nowhere near NYC - but the notion got in my head and I could not be convinced otherwise. For years...I had to check before I sat down to make sure nothing was going to bite my bum.

I went to a Catholic school and we went to a Catholic church. My friends went to the Public school so I figured that they all went to the Public church.

I thought that when you went to the bank and deposited your money they put it in the boxes in the back. And that people with a lot of money had the big boxes and kids had the tiny boxes because they didn't have a lot of money. I remember being about 8 years old and asking my mom (who worked at a bank) if we could take out my quarters that I deposited so I could buy a new Barbie. She asked me why I wanted quarters and I said because that's all the money that I had, I didn't have dollars and they put my quarters into my box. Then she had to explain how deposits/withdrawals work and what the safe deposit boxes were for :rotfl:

I thought that little people lived in the TV. :lmao: I finally figured out that wasn't right. Then, I thought that the families on TV were real families. I was so sad when I found out The Partridge Family wasn't a real family.

When my DD9 was 5 she was asked to be the ring bearer in a friend of mines wedding. She agreed and we didn't think anymore about. That same friend and I had been out shopping for the wedding and we were talking about what to do if it rained and luckily since it was in Feb, it wouldn't be too hot. The wedding was to take place outside. That night on the way home after we dropped my friend off, my DD5 said from the back seat. "mommy I don't want to be in the wedding as the ring bearer I wanna be the flower girl." I told her no that my friend already had a flower girl. My DD5 started to cry and said "but I don't wanna wear the bear suit outside, I will be hot and it will make me sick. And people will think I am weird. Please just let me wear the flower suit."

She thought the ring bearer had to wear a bear suit and the flower girl had to wear a flower suit. LOL

When she found out it was a dress she was fine. LOL

Kelli

You poor unprotected kids curled up in the hallway at school during an air raid! Didn't your principal know that the only safe place was in the fetal position under your desk? It must have been safe; I'm still here more than 50 years later!

Queen Colleen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter