More Ebay....

Originally posted by DMRick
Keep in mind, that the savings may not be worth it unless you have collectables that people will be searching out. When eBay has a special like this, so many items get put up, yours might get lost in the rush. Also everyones ends the same day and for me at least, when they have specials, my final bids are way lower than usual. This only covers the basic listing fees, so it may not be a savings for you at all, or it may only save so little, it's not worth it. Just my own opinion of course..others may have had good luck competing against the masses!

Most of my stuff is fixed price listings for items over $100 (or was, since most of them sold this week), so it's definately worth it for me!!

a vintage Vera Bradley handbag (Vera Bradley sells very well!)

Vera Bradley is an excellent seller!!! Last summer I bought a couple NWT Vera items at a garage sale and sold them for a huge profit! Sometimes it seems like the EBay prices go a touch higher than the stores here sell them for. Even the used stuff sells well.

I have made $1300+ since February 2004 & that is AFTER paying my Ebay fees.

I have not sold any "big ticket" items. Over $700+ of that came from just selling my old VHS tapes that I have on DVD now or just don't watch anymore.

I made another $250+ from my old music CDs that I don't listen to anymore.

The rest has been little things here & there, some of my son's old gently used clothes, old cake pans, books, toys, etc.
Just things around the house.

I love Ebay!
This will be the THIRD trip Ebay has paid for in a year!!!

Where does ebay advertise these special listing days, by the way.

You can have them sent to your mailbox, or just check under community (top of each eBay page) and then News, general announcements every couple of days.

If you have several of the same items, and put them on together, then this is worth it, as you can list 20 $6.99 items for just the .50 listing fee. Put them on for 10 days (another.20) and the savings is usually worth putting them up with the zillions that will be listed today.

I am inspired again!!!!! After reading this thread. I was getting a little down about not having anything to sell...I'm in my first week and have been obsessed watching my stuff on the Ebay board. A few bited, but nothing major. (I heard things get more active on your last day.)
But if someone can make that much since February, thats GREAT. I guess it's how much time you put into it as to how much you'll get out. I have some CDs and VHS movies, and some software. So I'll give it a try!

Originally posted by tbserena

I guess it's how much time you put into it as to how much you'll get out. I have some CDs and VHS movies, and some software. So I'll give it a try!

It really does depend on how much time you put into it.
I also put up on average 25 auctions at a time & offer a combined shipping dicount, so I do think that helps a little. I know there have been plenty of buyers that have won more then one of my auctions.

Give the VHS tapes a try. You would be surprised what some go for, of course some don't go. But then I usually put those in a "lot"
Last month I just sold a "lot of movies" (100 VHS tapes) for $166.00.
Those were tapes that I had on Ebay before & they just didn't sell. Since they are just sitting around collecting dust, some money is better then no money!

Good Luck!

I've read that you can look at items sold somewhere....but when I got to ebay I don't know how to find a listing of items that have already been sold. Does anyone know where on ebay you can find such a listing?

Originally posted by bostonlass
I've read that you can look at items sold somewhere....but when I got to ebay I don't know how to find a listing of items that have already been sold. Does anyone know where on ebay you can find such a listing?

Scroll down under the search box and there will be a place to check for "Completed Items".

HTH.

Found it...thanks!

tbserena - click on search and then on the advanced search thingy and there's an option there to see the completed items.

happy selling!!:bounce:

I was also going to remind other people new to ebay, like myself, to listen to what is being said in these threads....I have learned SO MUCH. Especially to not get frustrated when you don't see anyone bidding on your things early on. I am 4 days out on some of my things and I am just now seeing the bids start. Sometimes it's better to not check on your stuff...well, constantly like I did!!
People here have given me a wealth of information and inspiration!

I want to touch on a couple things mentioned in the thread.

First, you're right, tbserena, sometimes you don't see bids even for 6 days, and then suddenly you have 3 at the last minute. Don't give up heart if you don't see bids right away. (Although, I know how nerve-wracking it is.) :rolleyes:

Second, concerning shipping...there is no reason why you should have to go to the PO if you print your own shipping labels. If you've got a scale, and you don't have anything liquid, fragile or perishable, you can hand your stuff to your mail carrier. That's what I'm doing from here on out. I had 6 packages that had to go out today, and I decided that I'd rather not use up all my ink printing my labels out at home. Well, the lady hands me all my delivery confirmation labels and the insurance and customs form for my Canada shipment and says "Step aside and fill all these out." So I stood there for 10 minutes filling out paperwork. Ugh! Never again. I'm printing all of mine out at home next time. ::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

I had just found the PayPal shipping helper yesterday as well. I didn't know it would do all types of mail. I'm going to start using it because it's even better than USPS' website. PayPal fills in the address info for you. ::yes:: Love that!

Liz :wave2:

#1 doug live fan
DOES THAT PAYPAL SHIPPING HELPER COST ANYTHING?

and I too have learned to leave the computer alone and stop refreshing every 30 mins to see if someone bid.

I wake up sometime and an item has ended and more then one person bid on it after no bids for 6 days.
:crazy:

i will check out the paypal shipper sight, but sometimes its quicker to ask a REAL person. lol
how much does it cost to use it?

I thought somewhere in this thread someone posted that it's free to create an Express or Priority label, and delivery conf. is free. All others have a .20 label fee, and if you want delivery confirmation it's .13 (.55 at PO). This actually turns out to be a good deal because if you go to the post office, a delivery conf. is going to cost .55. If you do a PayPal label, you come out ahead because you're printing the label and getting delivery conf. on every package for only .33. I love this because I will not ship anymore packages without a delivery conf. because for the first time this week I had someone email me asking where their item was. I had my delivery conf. and knew it had been delivered 2 days after I sent it.

Does someone want to confirm these fees for us?

Originally posted by #1 DOUG Live Fan
I thought somewhere in this thread someone posted that it's free to create an Express or Priority label, and delivery conf. is free. All others have a .20 label fee, and if you want delivery confirmation it's .13 (.55 at PO). This actually turns out to be a good deal because if you go to the post office, a delivery conf. is going to cost .55. If you do a PayPal label, you come out ahead because you're printing the label and getting delivery conf. on every package for only .33. I love this because I will not ship anymore packages without a delivery conf. because for the first time this week I had someone email me asking where their item was. I had my delivery conf. and knew it had been delivered 2 days after I sent it.

Does someone want to confirm these fees for us?

Yes those fees are correct. Delivery conf. is automatically added on to each package as well and it's required to be covered under paypal's seller protection policy.

Anyone know the best day and time to start a 5 day auction? Mine ended today at around 11ish in the am and didn't do so well. I mean Kelly's Kids clothes normally go for beaucoup $$$ and I just sold an outfit for only $11. :rolleyes: I really think timing is everything so...any suggestions for future sales?

I'm going to sell lots of Barney videos that I have and I"m hoping I'll do better with them. Pez is a great one too I have found so I'm going to gather up all of my kids old pez dispensers.

Here's a link to a calendar which forecasts which days are good to start auctions on. eBay Auction Calendar

In general, you would probably want to start a 5-day auction on a Tuesday so that it ends on a Sunday. For some reason, Saturdays are also a good day to list for 5-day auctions. I'm not sure why.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter