More Dining Info from AllEars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that the dropping of the appetizer bothers me that much. I do wish they would've give guests the choice of appetizer or dessert. But that's just my own personal preference.

I can see how dropping the tip might be more beneficial to their servers though. I know not all of us tip extra for good service. Some may just leave it at whatever DDP covered. Granted, that could also mean that some servers won't get as much in tips. And not everyone is a good tipper. So, I guess it's all a catch-22. But it could be that servers were complaining and this was a way to make them happier.

Why in the world would you mess with the product, by eliminating some of the reasons it's popular and then just deduct $1 from the price.
Price elasticity.

For more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand

For example, you sell Choc. Chip cookies that are clearing the shelves, but you're losing money. Why not just raise the price? WHY ON EARTH would you think it's smarter to remove the chips from the cookies and cut the price by a nickel???
The consumer marketplace is also the home of many marketing paradoxes. Why are certain price-points special? It's a reflection of the human condition; math can only model it, not explain why it exists. If your cookie example mapped directly to this case, you'd have a situation where if you raised the price a little, demand would plummet, resulting in lower revenues overall.

A good example of this from the past 50 years is coffee. A "pound" :rolleyes: of ground coffee used to actually 16 oz in it. Now, you've got cans with 14 oz, 12 oz, 11 oz, some with 10.5 oz. Rather than raising the price of the coffee faster than the marketplace was willing to accept price increases, the industry increased the price of a can more solely, and instead reduced how much coffee was in the can, over time.

This seems like such a poor decision on Disney's part. I wonder how much man hours, analysis, and salary went into this decision....duh!
Please accept, at least, that you can be wrong. The reality is the Disney has some of the best marketing people in the world working for them, and while they do make mistakes, they're much less likely to do so than a random curmudgeon on the Internet (several of whom are almost surely going to reply to this message, seeking to place their pronouncements over the good people at Disney who actually have earned the job with their experience, expertise and professionalism.)

The problem is, we don't have nearly the volumes of info Disney does.

I'm certainly not saying they're always right. No such thing. But we don't know what the impetus is.

One scenario is that market research told them that the price point couldn't move without losing too many participants.
As indicated in my message, above, I completely agree.

And if people vote with their wallets, likely Disney will listen...maybe not the way we'd like, but they'll listen.
People are always voting with their wallets. Everything Disney does is likely to be substantially affected by that voting, and as you alluded to, often "we" vote in a manner to prompt Disney to do things that we do not like.

Please accept, at least, that you can be wrong. The reality is the Disney has some of the best marketing people in the world working for them, and while they do make mistakes....
Wow, I consider this progress, Mr. Bicker!!

The thing is, as indicated in my posts above, in this case we're in some agreement--Disney didn't come up with these modifications off the cuff, I'm sure they have some other direction they are going to keep occupancy rates up, and that they've realized there are some hidden costs in the DDP program in terms of overall guest satisfaction.

Please accept, at least, that you can be wrong. The reality is the Disney has some of the best marketing people in the world working for them, and while they do make mistakes, they're much less likely to do so than a random curmudgeon on the Internet (several of whom are almost surely going to reply to this message, seeking to place their pronouncements over the good people at Disney who actually have earned the job with their experience, expertise and professionalism.)

Wow...tough crowd you are:scared1: (I feel like Yoda with that phrase :rotfl: )

I may be a "random curmudgeon on the Internet" as you so eloquently insinuated above. But this "curmudgeon" is an avid consumer of Disney products and is entitled to an opinion just like everyone else here is.

While my opinion differs from yours, that does not make me wrong or a curmudgeon...just different from you.

Now, allow me to excuse myself to go look up "curmudgeon" on the internet:thumbsup2

The Deluxe plan is a way for Disney to control crowds or long lines at attractions :lmao:
Picture327.jpg

The Deluxe plan is a way for Disney to control crowds or long lines at attractions :lmao:
Picture327.jpg

Yeah, that's not funny. God forbid people should be able to use a package to eat 3 meals a day like many people do at home or eat 1 regular meal and 1 signature meal a day. I'm pretty sure that everyone who likes the deluxe plan isn't obese or will become obese from using it. Just because you don't like the plan doesn't give you the right to make rude comments about those who do.

As indicated in my message, above, I completely agree.

People are always voting with their wallets. Everything Disney does is likely to be substantially affected by that voting, and as you alluded to, often "we" vote in a manner to prompt Disney to do things that we do not like.

I'm sure that "we" have given Disney plenty of talking points regarding the tip and the amount of food. I know that this board does not represent all of the visitors Disney has heard, but we do represent a cross section of those people. "We" complain about service that is poor due to a gratuity that is included, "we" complain about the amount of the included tip, "we" complain about the amount of food, and "we" complain about the problems associated with getting an ADR into our favorite restaurants and then "we" declare it is all because of the DDP as it stands. Well now Disney can respond that they have listened and they have made changes that "we" have indicated that we want. Yep..."we" sometimes get what we ask for, and it is not always what we thought that we wanted.

I'm sure that "we" have given Disney plenty of talking points regarding the tip and the amount of food. I know that this board does not represent all of the visitors Disney has heard, but we do represent a cross section of those people. "We" complain about service that is poor due to a gratuity that is included, "we" complain about the amount of the included tip, "we" complain about the amount of food, and "we" complain about the problems associated with getting an ADR into our favorite restaurants and then "we" declare it is all because of the DDP as it stands. Well now Disney can respond that they have listened and they have made changes that "we" have indicated that we want. Yep..."we" sometimes get what we ask for, and it is not always what we thought that we wanted.

Funny... I don't seem to recall anyone saying to get rid of the appetizer, drop the tips, and decrease the price by $1 (resulting in a 35% loss of benefits for DDP). Nobody asked for these changes. If Disney was going to eliminate the tip, then drop the cost by $7. If Disney was going to drop the appetizer, then drop it again by $7. Raise it 5% for inflation and few will complain. But do all of these things at once, and you will have a stampede out the door. Check out the poll of DIS users. Far more than half of those who previously used DDP are indicating that they will drop it in 2008. If implemented, it will change many people's behavior. Expect dramatically lower utilization of the TS restaurants (I know that is the secret agenda of many on this board), and for the effects to spillover to lower attendance at the parks and at the resorts. That very well might be the intended effect, but a superior alternative in my opinion (and one that would probably been supported by Walt) would have been to build more TS restaurants and another park!

I would like to complain to Disney. Anyone know where and whom
I should write to when this info becomes "official"?

Yeah, that's not funny. God forbid people should be able to use a package to eat 3 meals a day like many people do at home or eat 1 regular meal and 1 signature meal a day. I'm pretty sure that everyone who likes the deluxe plan isn't obese or will become obese from using it. Just because you don't like the plan doesn't give you the right to make rude comments about those who do.
Zheez, lighten up!

I am one of the people out there that will likely continue to purchase the dining plan. Possibly the deluxe plan, although I was hoping it would be slightly less $$$, but if not we will likely purchase the regular or wine package options. DH loves to pay for the majority of the trip ahead of time, and only having to deal with tip will probably be his choice. We don't try to maximize every meal by ordering the most expensive items or share meals or the other ways mentioned to get every last cent out of the plan, we just like the plan so we can relax and enjoy our meals without having to worry about the buget all the time. With the dining plan the price is known from day 1 and that's what we like. That being said, I want to wait for the official information to come out, and make my final decision based on that.

One thing for us is sure,no matter if we choose the dining plan, no dining plan, DDE, or DVC discounts we will have a wonderful time at WDW:goodvibes

Please accept, at least, that you can be wrong.
While my opinion differs from yours, that does not make me wrong or a curmudgeon...just different from you.
That's exactly the point I made. Please allow me to disagree with you, as much as you would like to disagree with me.

I'm sure that "we" have given Disney plenty of talking points regarding the tip and the amount of food. I know that this board does not represent all of the visitors Disney has heard, but we do represent a cross section of those people.
And we continually welcome new members, month after month, year after year, and we seem to welcome far more new members than old members go inactive. If Disney is really focusing on us, then they're continually getting the message from DISboards members that they love what Disney is offering. Just ask Pete how active board participation has been trending.

Yep..."we" sometimes get what we ask for, and it is not always what we thought that we wanted.
Indeed.

I would like to complain to Disney. Anyone know where and whom I should write to when this info becomes "official"?
[SIZE=-1]Walt Disney World Guest Communications
P.O. Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040[/SIZE]

And so it happens again. Disney takes and takes. When is it going to stop? Never. It will continue because the company no longer cares about its guests and only cares about its stock price and cash. I moved to Florida to be near disney a year ago. I am to the point where I am actually hating it. This is my last year for annual passes and I will not be back. Thanks disney for ruining my greatest love.

I don't get it. What did he say that was about obesity? Is there something about spongebob that is going over my head? :confused3

they're much less likely to do so than a random curmudgeon on the Internet (several of whom are almost surely going to reply to this message, seeking to place their pronouncements over the good people at Disney who actually have earned the job with their experience, expertise and professionalism.)

Bicker, I was so excited to see that you used the word curmudgeon. You see, whenever I read your posts, I am fascinated by the tone of your words. I often think, "Does he speak to people in that superior tone when he is standing face to face with them?" If so, I have never encountered such a person.

Anyway, to my point...the word curmudgeon, meaning "a difficult, cantankerous person" is exactly what I think of when I read your posts. I could never think of the word before, and now you have supplied it!:cheer2:

Long long time ago
I can still remember eating without ADRs
But now I call 180 days
Because the meal plan really pays
And no more need to rent expensive cars
Now our days of cheap food are numbered
No Disney dining unencumbered
Goodbye hassle free trips
We have to pay our own tips
I can’t remember if I cussed when
The appetizer bit the dust
Canceled my trip in disgust
The year the meal plan died

Oh why, why did the dining plan die
When you’re paying for buffeting
Soon your wallet runs dry
The ressie holders at Le Cellier will sigh
Universal’s hoping they might drop by
Universal’s hoping they might drop by…

Did you order the best deals
And did you share table service meals?
Everybody tells me “no”
Did you enjoy the results
When your children’s credits fed adults
And they ditched the sugar free jello?
Well I know Le Cellier’s booked again
From April first through August 10
Who knew it was a crime
To book 4 dinners at the same time?
And although Le Chefs quit serving duck
Who cares if we all saved a buck?
But this year we are out of luck
The year the meal plan died

We’ll be singing
Why, why did the dining plan die
When you’re paying for buffeting
Soon your wallet runs dry
The ressie holders at Le Cellier will sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter