More Cutbacks/Changes at Universal

pheneix

Mouseketeer
Universal has really played around with their hours starting in September so that from now on both parks will not be doing the 9-6 routine.

IOA will be open from 10-7pm for most of the month in September. That's not much of a cutback as it is a change in hours, but it is worth noting.

USF, on the other hand, will be opening at 9:30am and closing at (brace yourselves) 5:30 IN THE AFTERNOON.

In October, IOA will be getting its HHN schedule with sporadic 5pm closures throughout the month, and USF will be open from 10-7pm.

This pretty much continues for the rest of the year, where one park will be open from 9-6 and the other from 10-7.

Geez, its like Paul Pressler took over the damn place this month...

The 10 to 7 hours may simply reflect a growing awareness that, since IOA doesn't attract exactly the same demographic as the Magic Kingdom, maybe it doesn't need to have the same opening hours.

Just a theory.

Here's another: If people get to the parks later, maybe they stay at CityWalk later (and therefore spend more money).;)

>>>The 10 to 7 hours may simply reflect a growing awareness that, since IOA doesn't attract exactly the same demographic as the Magic Kingdom, maybe it doesn't need to have the same opening hours.<<<

That's true, but year over year this is still a cutback from last year (and attendance is higher to boot).

USF's hours in September are just insane though. Who wants to leave a theme park at 5:30 in the afternoon?

Originally posted by pheneix

USF's hours in September are just insane though. Who wants to leave a theme park at 5:30 in the afternoon?

I know!!! The last Ghostbusters Show is at 5:00PM...that will only give me 15 minutes to TRY to get on a ride after seeing every show...either that or...there won't be as many showings!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

10am opening is so late.
I like the Orlando parks because they all open at 9am with an 08:45am unofficial start on busy days.
The early opening is what gets me walkon rides the first hour.

so let me get this straight, univerisal wants a family to come to US in sept, pay a couple hundred bucks, and they're only open 8 hours! WHATEVER! how could a family see everything w/o staying onsite-I got it, they'll close some of the shows down!

folks, I was so excited to stay onsite for the first time next month, but this completely ruins it for me-its like how they treat people at disney, and I thought the whole point of universal was that they actually cared about their guests. the sept. hours for US and IOA are a joke!

and BTW, can someone please explain why more people aren't upset by this!

TigerLaw, I'm sure there are plenty who are upset with these proposed hours.

I do honestly believe Universal "cares" about their guests. I just think somebody just wasn't thinking when they chose the new hours. :rolleyes: I don't think Universal would do anythng to hurt their business.

On the bright side, it could be good enough reason to spend some time to enjoy the hotel. I can't tear myself away from the parks, and if you have no choice... :p OK...maybe not what you were hoping.

Were the hours like this last year? I hear September is rather slow anyway, so you should get a lot done still. I'm not sure...

Last year the hours where similar with USO closing at 6pm and IOA 7pm somedays earlier:D

Highlander,

Are you sure the hours were similar? I can't recall IOA ever opening at 10am or US only being open for 8 hrs. please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that they have cut an hour at each park from the previosuly announced hours and from last year's hours.

Last year it was 9-6 US and 9-7 for IOA officialy but on certain days it did close earlier and not just for HHN to be honest in may we where at Spain and visited portaventurawhich is universals theme park for Europe and only part of the park opened at 10am most of park didnt open till 12pm and it closed at 6pm apart from weekends I think the parks realise that u will visit at times they lay down and they will make a cost saving which outweighs our opinion unfortunately but hopefully the money they save will ensure the park stays at cutting edge of theme parks:D

Originally posted by TigerLaw
how could a family see everything w/o staying onsite

Bingo. There's every chance they can't, which means that if they want to make the most of their time in the parks, that family is going to spend a little extra money to stay at Universal's hotels.

Cha-ching.

Originally posted by MaddieinWonderland
Bingo. There's every chance they can't, which means that if they want to make the most of their time in the parks, that family is going to spend a little extra money to stay at Universal's hotels.

Cha-ching.

Hmm...you think Universal heard that people don't stay onsite because it's a slow month and so there would be no reason to get FOTL from the hotel key?? So they made shorter hours so you'd need FOTL afterall? Brilliant...but not good for the visitors. :p

Anyone going September 6?? I am!! :)

Originally posted by TigerLaw
Highlander,

Are you sure the hours were similar? I can't recall IOA ever opening at 10am or US only being open for 8 hrs. please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding was that they have cut an hour at each park from the previosuly announced hours and from last year's hours.
IOA never opened at 10am. Some of the areas/attractions did, but never the park. I know, I worked there for over 3.75 years.

I just checked the US/IOA website, and the IOA hours in Sept. when we will be there (26-29) say they will be open until 8pm, but US still says 5:30.....At least they added an hour on at IOA.

Personally, I am not upset with the hours for my trip in September. Based on past history, the parks will be so empty that we'll get done everything we want to do plus. The 10:00 AM opening of IOA is actually a blessing for my wife and I, because my son won't be waking us up at 6:00 AM to get ready to go ride Hulk and DD :)
As for not getting our "value" out of our tickets, I figure we already got more than our value out of our annual passes during our three day trip in Feb. This trip is basically a freebie. I'm also looking forward to more time at the pools and the other stuff at PBH (like Mama Della's!!!!).

even when the parks opened earlier, the staggered area opening times were annoying too. Hopefully the entire park(s) open at this time and they still don't stagger area openings also.
Besides, it's is "Off-season".
Crowds are very low.
You CAN see the entire park(s) in this time period and and still have time for a stroll. This is even without Expass Pass any type of Commando type planning. Relax and enjoy.

I was at IOA last Sept. Even though we did stay onsite you really didn't need any express passes. There was plenty of tim e to see everything even with early closing times and I'm sure I wasn't there right when the parks opened.
You know what would be nice? If just once they had the parks open at night, say 6pm until 2am. How fun! What I miss the most about the parks closing early is everything all lit up. IOA just looks awesome at night.

I agree with Cheryl. I would love it if they could leave each park open later once per week so you could do them in the dark. Maybe do a 1:00 PM - 10:00 PM at IOA on Fridays and a 2:00 PM - 10:00 PM on Saturdays at USF. There is nothing quite like a good themepark at night. All the rides (particularly things like Hulk, DD) seem better at night, and areas like Jurrasic Park are totally awesome at night.

ksdave, on the drive home, I had an Idea based loosely on what you said. I'm going to try to see if I can access the employee page and submit the idea while it's still fresh, or if I'll have to wait till Thurs to submit it. It's lengthy and a long shot, but it just might work!

Dark;
That's great. Even if no one else has said it, I really appreciate the fact that, as a UO employee, you post on here. You bring a great perspective to the whole UO experience.
Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter