More China Questions

figmentfan2009

Mouseketeer
DH is driving me crazy. He is over-analyzing everything. We leave the END OF JULY and he has everyone packed so he can weigh the suitcases DAILY in case some of the shoes breed or something. I bought shorts to wear to work that I can't wear to work because they are all packed because we leave in 26 days and obviously NO ONE needs to wear shorts in central texas in June/July... sigh

Anyway... we got into a... discussion... on flights/weight/carryons/bus...

If anyone can answer it would be fantastic since he just gets more frustrated when I don't actually already know the answers to things like what is a carry on in china... :confused3

SO...

What do china airlines let you take on the plane? We have 2 carryons for 4 people and are arguing over maybe having to take a third (since nothing says you are allowed to take a purse or a book or a hanky or anything other than the 11 pound carry on). Can I take a carry on (my laptop bag with laptop, mouse, external hard drive and computer plug) as well as my purse (which will end up being a messenger bag... not heavy just roomy)?

On "flying" days... can things be left on the bus (like the computer bag and the camera bag) or do we need to carry everything all day those days?

Is there a bus on Pedi-cab day to leave things in?

Does anyone know if they went over the 11 pound limit (like 11.5 or even 12 pounds) on the carry on (yes, there is a weight limit somewhere he has been looking everywhere to make SURE).

If anyone can clue me in here, it would be an amazing help. I would so like to end this discussion with facts from anyone who actually knows.

Thanks in advance.:worship::worship::worship:
Confused and frustrated... figmentfan2009

I can help you .... but my experience is from last year taking the China trip with ABD. We could take ANTHING last year! I don't know if China is more strick this year or if it was because we were a Disney group or what. Some of the people on our group had lots and lots of big suitcases and many carryons. One of my DD bought 5 or 6 big purses in Beijing. She would put one purse inside another and then had to carry all of them onto the plane with her regular carryon and no one ever said anything to her! We started using our small duffle that ABD gave us the 1st day as another carry on and by HK we had to buy another suitcase!
We could always leave anything on the bus except one time and the guides really told us in when that would happen. We used the same bus while pedicabbing (one of the most fun activities!) so we could leave things on the bus.
We didn't have as many flights in China as you will but we would need to take everything off the bus when getting to the airport.
Hope this helps and you will love China!:cheer2:

We just got back Friday night. My daughter and I each had 2 carry-ons which were never weighed. I had my ABD backpack plus a computer bag, she carried a messenger bag plus a duffel bag. By the end of the trip, she was carrying a messenger bag, duffel and a giant hand painted fan (closed it was roughly 3 feet long).

We left items on the bus on flying days if we weren't going directly to the airport. We also left items on the bus during the Hong Kong Top to Bottom Tour because the first place we stopped was Stanley Market. That was our last major shopping chance, so we bought several things. The bus took us to lunch at Victoria Peak (there is a Hard Rock shop in the shopping center where we had lunch, but no restaurant if you are interested), then we rode a funicular down the mountain. The bus then took us to the ferry where we rode across the harbor to Kowloon. The bus was locked and the driver with it so we left everything we didn't need on the bus.

Let me know if there are any more questions.

Thanks you guys. DH is less stressed and I'm getting more and more and more excited...

Now... to stay healthy for 3 more weeks

ANy suggestions on "on your own time"???? We like to cram as much in as we can - not much on hanging at the hotels - anything not to miss that was not on the tour?

We are planning on the Summer Palace/Lama Temple and Confucius temple (maybe) on our pre-day. Those are things that I found that seem to be popular and ABD doesn't do. We are probably doing the parks next to the forbidden city on that 'free time' (post forbidden city) and maybe the temple of heaven either of these two times depending on how much we can cram into a day.

The Temple of the Sun is just a few blocks north of the hotel and I think we can do that Satuday when we land before we all crash and burn.

I just went out and did some searches on tours and found the most popular things that people have to buy as short tours and hunted them up on maps of beijing. The Beijing zoo looks great but we are probably not going to hit it because the highlight of that is supposed to be pandas and we do Chengdu anyway...

Now I'm working on what to do in Shanghai... I'm betting it will include the Shanghai museum (my history buff kid won't pass that us, especially since it looks like most signs are in english as well as chinese.

DH wants to cram as much into the time we are there as we can since we aren't likely to go back again.

Everyone is thrilled that we actually get to see the terracotta warriors... that was a must see that everyone wanted but that we weren't going to get to be able to do until the itinerary change.

I've had a hard time figuring out what other people did during their free time other than shop. I know we will work that in too (people at work are already starting to give me shopping lists for chachkis....

hth
ff2009:thumbsup2

I'm in the middle of our Enchanted China trip right now, writing to you from Hotel of Modern Art in Guilin. As for luggage, I'm almost as detailed as your DH but I suggest you pack light, not for weighing purposes (which so far, has never been a problem at any of the airports) but out of practicality. The ABD tourguides are well stocked with anything you can think of, from bottled water to bug spray and sunscreen and snacks. The hotels provide toothbrushes, toothpaste (Colgate), shampoo and stuff. I had packed a folding suitcase and tote bag in case I bought too much (which hasn't happened yet) but ABD provides a small duffle as a treat.

For side trips during free time, research your favorite topics (shopping, eating, sites). The days are pretty filled and there's usually only 1 free afternoon or evening per city. The guides have good suggestions as well. In Beijing, we went to the Silk Market (shopping) and Night Market (where they serve interesting food on a stick). My family likes to relax so they're not as active as I would prefer. The guides will write your destination in Chinese since most taxi drivers don't speak or read English. No matter how much or little you do on your free time, you'll have a great time in China.

I'm in the middle of our Enchanted China trip right now, writing to you from Hotel of Modern Art in Guilin. As for luggage, I'm almost as detailed as your DH but I suggest you pack light, not for weighing purposes (which so far, has never been a problem at any of the airports) but out of practicality. The ABD tourguides are well stocked with anything you can think of, from bottled water to bug spray and sunscreen and snacks. The hotels provide toothbrushes, toothpaste (Colgate), shampoo and stuff. I had packed a folding suitcase and tote bag in case I bought too much (which hasn't happened yet) but ABD provides a small duffle as a treat.

For side trips during free time, research your favorite topics (shopping, eating, sites). The days are pretty filled and there's usually only 1 free afternoon or evening per city. The guides have good suggestions as well. In Beijing, we went to the Silk Market (shopping) and Night Market (where they serve interesting food on a stick). My family likes to relax so they're not as active as I would prefer. The guides will write your destination in Chinese since most taxi drivers don't speak or read English. No matter how much or little you do on your free time, you'll have a great time in China.

Your trip sounds wonderful! Can't wait to hear more! We're not going until next summer so have time to learn from all you veterans!

I tend to overpack electronics, from my cell phone (which I haven't needed except as an alarm), Palm, laptop, digi cameras and whatever else I packed. I don't quite understand the electricity conversion but for some reason, US plugs work in some outlets here but only if they have a box as part of the AC adapter (like my laptop). I must've done something wrong as I fried two battery rechargers and my Palm. I wished I packed regular batteries as a backup to the rechargeable ones and used rechargers that use USB plugs (connected to my laptop) instead of AC. My DH and I were both without our digi cameras for one day - fortunately our kids had theirs. The guide let us borrow his USB battery charger.

Another reason to pack light...you're changing hotels every 2-3 days so I just unpack the stuff I need for each stay.

I tend to overpack electronics, from my cell phone (which I haven't needed except as an alarm), Palm, laptop, digi cameras and whatever else I packed. I don't quite understand the electricity conversion but for some reason, US plugs work in some outlets here but only if they have a box as part of the AC adapter (like my laptop). I must've done something wrong as I fried two battery rechargers and my Palm. I wished I packed regular batteries as a backup to the rechargeable ones and used rechargers that use USB plugs (connected to my laptop) instead of AC. My DH and I were both without our digi cameras for one day - fortunately our kids had theirs. The guide let us borrow his USB battery charger.

Another reason to pack light...you're changing hotels every 2-3 days so I just unpack the stuff I need for each stay.

Hi, sounds like you guys are having a great time! Who are your guides? We had Heidi and Daisy last year...

We just got back from the Cities of Knights & Lights and I have a packing suggestion for you. We packed our suitcases by day or days. We packed this way for several reasons 1) if one suitcase was lost by the airline then the bag that was lost only had one or two days worth of clothes missing for everyone - not just one person. 2) if all of your bags do make it with you, then you only have to unpack one suitcase at a time and put dirty clothes back in one suitcase instead of together with clean clothes. Not sure how the electricity works in China but we found with our converters everything worked but the hair dryer but the hotels all had dryers so we were good. I only wish I'd brought several adapters instead of 2.

Have a great trip!

We too had Daisy and a relatively newbie, Brian (I think this was his 3rd China trip, although he has been with ABD before). The two were a wonderful combo. I can see why so many past "adventurers" have sang praises of their guides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter