MORE Adventures of the "Moms" Panel

Sadly, I did not make the panel either. But I'm still blessed with family, health and a Disney vacation in one month!

Many congratulations to all who made it!

A lot of you have mentioned and posted on your feelings, and every year, I end up doing the same thing.

There are so many facts here to be considered which we cannot just throw away....yes, there were 20,000 (possibly) applicants, and yes, only 10 will be chosen. To be one of the chosen 10 is like being the needle in the haystack.

I'll admit, I'm very disappointed too. I didn't let myself get caught up in the hoopla last year because I remembered my huge disappointment the first year, but this year seemed to be different somehow.

My connections within the Disney-sphere of life expanded as I got to know other bloggers, Cast Members, and famous Disney experts from around the country.

I helped family and friends plan endless trips this year (as a lot of us did), and I still continued to head up and maintain the disboards' official thread, "Disney's Best Kept Secrets." Sending out 100s of copies around the world weekly.

BUT...we could all sit here and type all the virtues that make us PERFECT for the panel, couldn't we? We could all sit here and pretend only a handful of Disney e-mails went out. We could all go on and on wondering why we didn't make the cut again this third year.

I won't lie--I am very disappointed and a little surprised frankly. But, then again--every year, I experience these same feelings. Oh, they don't last long, but I think it's important that we do validate that they exist.

They exist because we LOVE our Disney, and frankly, I have gotten to know some of the girls on the Round 2 list, and I have grown to love them too over this past year.

It is VERY hard to be turned down for this panel, for so many different reasons, but at least we can take solace that so many of our beloved disboard friends have made the second round cut.

I'm like a few of the posters above. I don't know if I'll apply a fourth time. The heartache is just not worth it.

I think I will just be cheering everyone on from the sidelines. Good luck girls! I KNOW you deserve it, and here's hoping you make it all the way to the final 10!!!!!

:sad2: Sigh :sad2:

OK....I've let my sadness out....and ROCK ON! To those of you who are moving on, congratulations!! No e-mail here, and the "back door" is locked, so sad I am not among you . . .

To those of you doubting your worth and enthusiasm, really you should not. Reading through these posts it is abundantly clear that we all are passionate for and knowledgeable about all things Mickey. We can second guess all of our answers, but really, it is so difficult to convey those things in 100 words or less. Maybe it's just self consoling, but I have to believe that luck and demographics have as much to do with it as anything else......not being on the panel does not prevent me from helping my fellow friends and family members plan their trips to the world, and I will continue to do so!! (That right there is already 110 words, and so SO much less then what I am thinking!)

Maybe next year.....I would really have loved to be on the panel, there is nothing I would like more than to "talk disney" every day, but I pretty much do that every day anyway.

one more Sigh...I am admittedly very sad, but so excited for those of you moving on! Congratulations to you, serve Mickey well, and make us proud!!

:goodvibesEveryone did a wonderful job on their applications. I have heard that this year the bar was set VERY HIGH. Many, many applications were at the platinum level.

The future is bright for those of you who have the passion. Mickey has new and wonderful things in store for the future. The Illuminations Private Party was one of the ways we are keeping our cozy Disney family together.

To all the Disney Moms who applied this year, you are amazing. To the second round finalists, good luck. And to the current panelists, thank you for supporting your pixie-dusted brethren.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX:wizard:
L

For those of you who don't know....Mcmillanmom is Laura Spencer, an inagural member of the Mom's Panel, who is now a cast member and one of the Moms Panel recruiters....the fact that she takes the time out of all to stop in here and cheer us on reminds me of the reasons we all love Disney so....we all totally ROCK whether we are on the panel or not!!

For those of you who don't know....Mcmillanmom is Laura Spencer, an inagural member of the Mom's Panel, who is now a cast member and one of the Moms Panel recruiters....the fact that she takes the time out of all to stop in here and cheer us on reminds me of the reasons we all love Disney so....we all totally ROCK whether we are on the panel or not!!

Thanks, Megan, for posting this. It helps to keep the spirits lifted! :thumbsup2

Yep -- I am also a writer -- and was on my third try. Last year, I went so far as to answer all my questions to the tune of a Classic Disney song! I re-wrote the lyrics to be my answer to the questions. I thought for sure that would catch enough attention to make it to round2. NOPE! So, this year -- I got as passionate as possible, threw in all the most magical Disney words I know and still......NADA

I've had my cry, I admit it -- I'm OK now and rooting for those progressing.....

Me right too! And I not make it! :(
http://lulu.com/JudPub
http://iJud.blogspot.com

As to other matters under discussion, I think if one reads the boards regularly, I think one would see what they are looking for: there are certain members in any group that stand out, that shine, that everyone gravitates to... there is no definition for it, no particular qualification or base of knowledge, simply that indefinable "Q" factor.

And maybe there were other demographic factors in the first round.

As to the alleged goof on the 'back door', Disney has never been very good in handling the net.

I am frankly a bit shocked that I didn't make it, and my reaction surprises me; and I can come up with lots of reasons why I didn't, and plenty of why I should have, but bottom line is I didn't, and that is that. Many of us are doing the job already and did it long before there ever was a Mom's Panel, so carry on!

Good luck and Magic to everyone!

:)

Jud

I've not posted in this thread before now, as I had concern I might jinx myself. I have spent the past few weeks (since submitting my application on the first day!) reassuring myself with a series of good luck charms - rearranging the Disney decorations (beanies, anyone?), using Disney kitchenware, sheets and towels, wearing Disney jewelry, ALWAYS wearing an article of Mouse clothing, listening to all of my Disney music, etc, etc - basically, throwing it out there to the goddesses that I was worthy.

And, for the third year in a row, I was disappointed and did not receive the golden ticket to move on.

I understand the disappointment and heartache that so many are feeling, as we were so emotionally tied to a place and a purpose that touches us deeply in our hearts. I'm sending you all a virtual hug and letting you know that I empathize with you, and I am sorry your dream did not come through this year.:hug:

But I am also so, so grateful to have had the opportunity to have been a part of the process. I have met an extraordinary group of people whose passion, knowledge and enthusiasm is unmatched. You all understand that this love we share for Walt Disney World and the joy and sheer happiness that comes from visiting the House of the Mouse, and are so willing and anxious to share your knowledge with complete strangers - it is amazing!

The current and prior year panelists have been so gracious, warm and supportive that it really does give me comfort because I know that those that are fortunate enough to make it on to the panel are more than qualified to belong. They all have been so patient, even putting up with our internet "stalkerish" behavior :-)blush: thanks again for the twitter and FB adds!), sharing their lives with us and giving encouragement to so many strangers. It is very much appreciated!

To all that feel crushed by today's results - please don't let this discourage you or cause you to feel negatively about the Panel or WDW. We don't know what those reading the submissions were looking for - and sometimes just a word or a phrase can make all the difference. It is no reflection on our love for WDW - it just wasn't our time. I am a firm believer in the old "whenever a door shuts, a window opens" adage and am sure that it all happens for a good reason.

To all that are advancing - CONGRATULATIONS!!! :yay:pixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:. I could not be more pleased for you than if it were happening for me! Dreams can come true - just write from your hearts, and remember why you love it. Keep in mind the joy you feel when you walk down Main Street, and let that magic flow through your keyboards! We'll be following your journey, and cheering you on from the sidelines. I know you will do us proud!

pixiedust:Good Luck to all!!pixiedust:

Lynne from Houston

I understand the disappointment and heartache that so many are feeling, as we were so emotionally tied to a place and a purpose that touches us deeply in our hearts. I'm sending you all a virtual hug and letting you know that I empathize with you, and I am sorry your dream did not come through this year.:hug:

But I am also so, so grateful to have had the opportunity to have been a part of the process. I have met an extraordinary group of people whose passion, knowledge and enthusiasm is unmatched. You all understand that this love we share for Walt Disney World and the joy and sheer happiness that comes from visiting the House of the Mouse, and are so willing and anxious to share your knowledge with complete strangers - it is amazing!

The current and prior year panelists have been so gracious, warm and supportive that it really does give me comfort because I know that those that are fortunate enough to make it on to the panel are more than qualified to belong. They all have been so patient, even putting up with our internet "stalkerish" behavior :-)blush: thanks again for the twitter and FB adds!), sharing their lives with us and giving encouragement to so many strangers. It is very much appreciated!

<snip>

Very nice Lynne!

:)

Jud

Well, I didn't make it on to round 2 this year...:sad2:

BUT, I am sooo happy for all that did make it to round 2. Once I realized who my competition was, I realized I was surrounded by some wonderful people with the same love and passion that I share. I couldn't have lost to a more wonderful and supportive group of individuals!

I made it to round 2 last year, and all I can say is that it was a great feeling - bask in the glory if you made it...you deserve it! Once the initial disappointment was gone, I simply realized that there will be future years, and in the end, I'm still going to keep on loving Disney. Family and friends will still come to me as the "resident expert". Very lucky that I am in good company!

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL!!! :banana:

Jim

A lot of you have mentioned and posted on your feelings, and every year, I end up doing the same thing.

There are so many facts here to be considered which we cannot just throw away....yes, there were 20,000 (possibly) applicants, and yes, only 10 will be chosen. To be one of the chosen 10 is like being the needle in the haystack.

I'll admit, I'm very disappointed too. I didn't let myself get caught up in the hoopla last year because I remembered my huge disappointment the first year, but this year seemed to be different somehow.

My connections within the Disney-sphere of life expanded as I got to know other bloggers, Cast Members, and famous Disney experts from around the country.

I helped family and friends plan endless trips this year (as a lot of us did), and I still continued to head up and maintain the disboards' official thread, "Disney's Best Kept Secrets." Sending out 100s of copies around the world weekly.

BUT...we could all sit here and type all the virtues that make us PERFECT for the panel, couldn't we? We could all sit here and pretend only a handful of Disney e-mails went out. We could all go on and on wondering why we didn't make the cut again this third year.

I won't lie--I am very disappointed and a little surprised frankly. But, then again--every year, I experience these same feelings. Oh, they don't last long, but I think it's important that we do validate that they exist.

They exist because we LOVE our Disney, and frankly, I have gotten to know some of the girls on the Round 2 list, and I have grown to love them too over this past year.

It is VERY hard to be turned down for this panel, for so many different reasons, but at least we can take solace that so many of our beloved disboard friends have made the second round cut.

I'm like a few of the posters above. I don't know if I'll apply a fourth time. The heartache is just not worth it.

I think I will just be cheering everyone on from the sidelines. Good luck girls! I KNOW you deserve it, and here's hoping you make it all the way to the final 10!!!!!

Beautifully written. Thanks for this. :)

This is really beautifully written on such a sad day! Thank you! It is so very hard because we all want it SOOO badly! :grouphug: We need a support group!

Someone mentioned earlier that past panel members had posted their essay answers...does anyone know where that thread is? Is it within this one or a separate thread? Just thought I'd check it out.

I also don't know what the buzz words are people are talking about...I used magic and passion a lot I think...is that what you guys meant?

Congrats again to all the 2nd rounders - pixiedust: to all of you. :goodvibes

What does one do on the day they find out they aren't moving onto round 2?

Start packing. Got the suitcases out of the closet and started tossing items in. I'm going to Disney World in 30 days, baby!!!:cool1: How cool is that?!

But in all honestly, I am surprised at how let down I am after finding out I am not moving on. I guess because I made it to round 2 last year, I had my hopes set a little bit higher that this could actually be the year I make it.

Congratulations to everyone who is moving on
:cheer2::cheer2: Please don't feel guilty and don't even think about shying away from basking in your recent success. You've earned it!!!!:banana:

I agree with the initial disapointment. I really thought that I stood a good chance of at least making it to round 2. BUT... there has been so many positive things come from this experience, like signing up for a Big Give and helping Wish Trip Families make their trip just a little more magical. Thats what it's all about, whether it for a wish trip or just giving advice to a casual aquantince, that's the reason we're here. Mom's Panel or not. Just the friendships alone, is why I'll continue to check in, and try my chances again next year!

Another journey ended at round 1, but what fun it has been to see everyone's passion for all things Disney.

Looking forward to the chance again next year!!

I am consoling myself (and my husband) with a quick trip down to go to D23's Sip and Stroll this Sunday.

I will be tweeting from there so if anyone wants to follow, amchodges

Going to the other thread to congratulate the round two crew!!

Someone mentioned earlier that past panel members had posted their essay answers...does anyone know where that thread is? Is it within this one or a separate thread? Just thought I'd check it out.

I also don't know what the buzz words are people are talking about...I used magic and passion a lot I think...is that what you guys meant?

Congrats again to all the 2nd rounders - pixiedust: to all of you. :goodvibes

Hi Zanna - it was actually me who posted about people posting their answers from past years. They are on the predecessor threads for the 2007 and 2008 Moms Panel. Twende started each of these threads. Start looking in the mid Oct to early Nov. period and you should find them.

As for the talk of the "buzz" words - who knows if this is correct or not. It's possible. But I kinda doubt it. It may work in marking university papers, ect when there is a specific answer the examiner is trying to elicit. But to have "buzz" words for essays about WDW - I think it is just too broad a topic to get that specific.

My theory is that the 1st round applicants likely get divided into groups and farmed out to various people for a 1st read. If your application evokes a response in the reader, my theory is that you make it to a short list which then get read by others as the final decisions are made. And I truly believe (or want to believe) that evoking a gut-reaction in the reader is the key to advancing, not rhyming off a list of 10 key "buzz" words.

But who knows? I certainly don't have it figured out...I am zero for three in attempting to advance to round 2!:rotfl:

Hi everyone!! :)

I've been gone all day, so just checked my email and am deliriously excited to say that I've made it to Round 2!!! :)

Here's hoping the 3rd time is the charm!!! :)

Congrats to all of you who made it too :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter