• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

More Adventures in WDW: June, November and December Trip Reports

I'm with you Meeko, no Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving! That being said, your photos of the decorations are great!

I didn't know they did that Magical Moment for parking either. Super way to start your trip! :goodvibes

I'm with you Meeko, no Christmas decorations until after Thanksgiving! That being said, your photos of the decorations are great!

I didn't know they did that Magical Moment for parking either. Super way to start your trip! :goodvibes

I was so conflicted about the decorations being up so soon. I really don't like them up before Thanksgiving, but if they waited until then to put them up I wouldn't have goten the chance to see them. I'm so glad I got to see them though even if they were up a bit early.

Great start to your day and awesome pictures. But man are they making me miss being there for Christmas! haha

Great start to your day and awesome pictures. But man are they making me miss being there for Christmas! haha

Thanks. Sorry to make you miss Christmastime at Disney. I'm sure you'll have a great time there at Spring break though. :thumbsup2

Hi Meeko!

Didn't realise how far behind. :guilty: All caught up now.

Your Universal day sounds like good fun, The Simpsons ride is just superb! We're big Simpsons fans anyway, but the theming is excellent. We laugh so much all the way through, not just at the ride, but the jokes too!

The WWOHP is brilliant too - Forbidden Journey is the best ride in Orlando!

AK looks lovely with all the decorations up, can't wait to read more!

Di x

Hi Meeko!

Didn't realise how far behind. :guilty: All caught up now.

Your Universal day sounds like good fun, The Simpsons ride is just superb! We're big Simpsons fans anyway, but the theming is excellent. We laugh so much all the way through, not just at the ride, but the jokes too!

The WWOHP is brilliant too - Forbidden Journey is the best ride in Orlando!

AK looks lovely with all the decorations up, can't wait to read more!

Di x

Hey Di!

We really loved all the jokes and details in the Simpsons Ride too (not to mention the Kwik-E-Mart). We were impressed with all the theming in the park in general, but the Simpsons was one of my favorite areas- everything in it was just right. :thumbsup2

I've got to get to Harry Potter. I'm thinking a trip over there after the Holidays but before Spring Break might be in order. Maybe some of the crowds will have died down by then.

kilimanjaro1-600.jpg

Traditionally, our first attraction of the day at the Animal Kingdom has almost always been Kilimanjaro Safaris, and this time was no exception. Since the park had just opened, there wasn’t much of a line at all- just the long queue to walk through. In less than 10 minutes we were in our jeep ready to head out onto the Harambe Wildlife Preserve.

kilimanjaro2-600.jpg

It was a little cool in the morning without being cold enough to break out anything with long sleeves, so a lot of the animals were pretty active. Even the cheetahs which usually I just tend to just barely see lying around in the back of their habitat were up and active. It was great.

kilimanjaro3-600.jpg

The Elands were walking near our jeep. They’re really beautiful animals to see up close.

kilimanjaro4-600.jpg

kilimanjaro5-600.jpg

A few giraffes, including a few young ones, wandered around the savannah pretty much staying alongside our jeep for a while.

kilimanjaro6-600.jpg

kilimanjaro7-600.jpg

A number of elephants were out by their watering hole.

kilimanjaro8-600.jpg

Pretty much everyone in the jeep went “Awww!” when the baby elephant rounded the corner. There were actually a number of baby animals out in the savannah.

kilimanjaro9-600.jpg

The rhinos were really close to the jeep which was a bit much for one of the infants in the jeep who cried from the moment he saw one until they were out of sight. Poor thing. He didn’t like the poacher chance at the end either.

kilimanjaro10-600.jpg

kilimanjaro11-600.jpg

I don’t see one of the warthogs out very often!

pangani1-600.jpg

After a fantastic safari, we continued over to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail for some more animal encounters.

pangani2-600.jpg

pangani3-600.jpg

Naked Mole Rats.

pangani4-600.jpg

For those of you who like their rodents a little cuter than the mole rats, there were some other more adorable ones nearby. I believe that this is the spinney mouse, but there was also a African Pygmy Mouse nearby that was the tiniest little thing I have ever seen. It was adorable.

pangani5-600.jpg

Out in the aviary there were plenty of birds around.

pangani6-600.jpg

The hippo habitat was surprisingly hippo free, but there were lots of colorful fish to see.

pangani7-600.jpg

pangani8-600.jpg

pangani9-600.jpg

The meerkats were just being fed so we got to see a bit of them.

pangani10-600.jpg

Most of the gorillas- including a baby were hanging out by the window so we stayed and watched them for a while as well.

panganiflowers-600.jpg

Of course, not all of the nature in Pangani is just its wildlife. A lot of the flowers and vegetation are interesting to see as well.

wildlifeexpresssign-600.jpg

After all of our adventures in Africa, we decided to venture into some of the other areas of the park. Since we were close by, we took the opportunity to head over to the station for the Wildlife Express for a trip to Rafiki’s Planet Watch.

Next chapter: Meeting some classic Disney characters

How great it worked out for you that not only did you walk on the safari but you saw so many animals! I'm not sure we've ever seen the warthogs.

Sounds like your day is off to a great start! Looking forward to more :)

How great it worked out for you that not only did you walk on the safari but you saw so many animals! I'm not sure we've ever seen the warthogs.

Sounds like your day is off to a great start! Looking forward to more :)

I think we've only seen a warthog maybe once or twice in all of our times on the safari. I'm not sure why they're so scarce. It's always a treat when they're out, though.

Hey everyone! Just wanted to stop by to do a quick update so it doesn't look like I've abandoned this report. I do want to keep it going, but Christmastime has been pretty busy and I just haven't been on the DIS very much. I'm so behind on reading all the trip reports I usually frequent, not to mention getting this one up! I may or may not be able to get a chapter up this week. If I can't, I'll be sure to do so after Christmas. Hope that you all are having a wonderful Holiday season! :santa:

Hi Meeko!

Enjoyed the update, great photos as always!!

Hope you get a chance to do your next update soon, I've been the same, just so busy with Christmas, but I'm off for nearly 2 weeks now, so no excuse really!

Di x

:santa: Happy Holidays Meeko! :santa:

Thanks so much. You too. :santa:

Hi Meeko!

Enjoyed the update, great photos as always!!

Hope you get a chance to do your next update soon, I've been the same, just so busy with Christmas, but I'm off for nearly 2 weeks now, so no excuse really!

Di x

Thanks Di. Hope you have a great Christmas, and I'll see if I can get that next chapter up before New Years (although I make no promises).

Awesome Animal Kingdom pictures!
That big tree out front is one of my favorite Christmas trees in all of Disney World.

Wow, what a great DAK update! I probably would've been one of the people going "awwww" at the baby elephant. Very cute. :goodvibes You sure got some excellent photos!

Have a great holiday!

Awesome Animal Kingdom pictures!
That big tree out front is one of my favorite Christmas trees in all of Disney World.

Thanks. The tree really was fantastic and fun.

Take your time. I have had a heck of a time keeping up as well lately

I'm with you. I think I'm finally caught up with most of the reports I've been reading though and got to working on my next chapter. Hopefully I'll get it up tomorrow.

Wow, what a great DAK update! I probably would've been one of the people going "awwww" at the baby elephant. Very cute. :goodvibes You sure got some excellent photos!

Have a great holiday!

Thanks. The baby elephant was so adorable I don't think there was a guest on the jeep who didn't go "awww".

Shortly after arriving at the station, the Wildlife Express came to take Buzz and I to Rafiki’s Planet Watch. I was a little disappointed in the ride over. It seems like they did less talking about the behind-the-scenes aspects of the park and more wishing happy birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, family reunions etc. just in case anyone on board was celebrating anything. The second half of the trip was interesting though while we passed the animals’ night quarters.

My main reason for this trip to Planet Watch was to look for characters, especially Jiminy Cricket. Last time that we were here, I missed Jiminy because we came too late in the day (one of the CMs there said that Jiminy sometimes leaves early so he can “help out” in the parade), so I wanted to be there early this time. Buzz wasn’t interested in any of the characters there, so he decided to take the time and do a Hidden Mickey search in the mural at the entrance of Conservation Station and found a bunch of them. There’s a lot hidden in there if you look!

jiminycricket1-600.jpg

Once we got to Conservation Station, I found Jiminy right away. It’s great to see such a classic character like Jiminy out, but I wish they could put him in a more accessible location so you wouldn’t have to take the train there and back to see him. I thought I was great when he was in Town Square with Pinocchio on Main Street a few years back, but at least he’s out at all.

jiminycricket2-600.jpg

rafiki1-600.jpg

Rafiki was nearby, so I went to see him too.

rafiki2-600.jpg

rpw2-60023jpg.jpg

While Buzz finished up his Hidden Mickeys search, I took a look around Conservation Station.

rpw3-600.jpg

rpw4-600.jpg

rpw5-600.jpg

The frog on the panda’s head struck me as funny for some reason.

rpw6-600.jpg

A quick shot of one of the Rafiki Statues as we made our way back to the Wildlife Express.

rpw7-600.jpg

When we got to the station, the Wildlife Express was just pulling out. I thought that we would be in for a wait, but in less than 3 minutes another train pulled into the station. I guess there must be more than one Wildlife Express!

rpw8-600.jpg

I’m not sure who Dave is or why his chair is on the top of the train.

After successfully finding some characters at Conservation Station, I headed off to see if I’d have the same luck at Camp Minnie-Mickey. This was our first time going since Thumper and Miss Bunny started appearing in the park, and I was really hoping that they would be out today.

thumpermissbunny1-600.jpg

When I arrived, there was a whole bunch of characters out. Since I hadn’t met Thumper and Miss Bunny yet, I started with them. Again, it was great to see some of the more rare classic characters out doing meet-and-greets like this.

thumpermissbunny2-600.jpg

thumperauto-600.jpg

Thumper’s autograph.

thumpermissbunny3-600.jpg

Miss Bunny does a few poses.

thumpermissbunny4-600.jpg

missbunnyauto-600.jpg

Miss Bunny’s autograph

thumpermissbunny5-600.jpg

These two were seriously adorable.

thumpermissbunny6-800.jpg

brerbear1-600.jpg

After a great meet-and-greet with the bunnies, I headed over to see Brer Bear. It had been a while since I had seen any of the Brers out.

brerbear2-600copy.jpg

meekopocahontas1-600.jpg

Over by the old Pocahontas theater was Pocahontas herself and one of my favorites- Meeko. I hadn’t seen Meeko out since the Pirate and Princess Party at MK years ago, so it was great to get a chance to see him again. Plus, I’m pretty sure this was the first time I ever got pictures of him with Pocahontas, so that was a plus too.

meekopocahontas2-600copy.jpg

meekopocahontas3-600.jpg

Of course, I had to get a few photos of Meeko by himself too.

meekopocahontas4-600.jpg

All in all, it was a very successful morning for characters- seven different character, all of whom were either new to me or characters I don’t see out very much, in less than an hour! However, while we were in Camp Minnie-Mickey, there was still one more character that both Buzz and I wanted to see.

Next chapter: Christmas in Camp Minnie-Mickey

Nice update :thumbsup2 You always seem to have the best luck with finding the characters! I don't think we've seen Brer Bear since Caitlin was 5. The bunnies are too cute! :goodvibes

I agree with the Hidden Mickey's in the mural at Conservation Station, there are loads! :thumbsup2

Great character meets! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter