More ?? about Key West

stlkeeler

DIS Veteran
We're going on the Western in May so I'm starting to plan our excursions. I know a lot of people just walk around town but I have bad knees and can't walk too far/fast. I know about the trolley and if you buy it on your own, you can get on/off whenever you want. I think we want to see the butterflies and the aquarium. We also want to go to Margaritaville and of course we have to get a piece of pie on a stick. Are these close to the trolley stops? Or would we be better off renting an electric car? DCL says you have to be 8 yo to ride the electric cars and my DGD is only 7. I didn't see an age limit on the web site, though. Would parking be a problem? Or maybe we should take the DCL excursion to the butterflies and fishies and a taxi to Margaritaville. Anyone have any thoughts/opinions? Shirley??

Thanks so much everyone!!

We did the trolley where we could get on and off at the stops we wanted. There is a little bit of a walk from where you get off of the ship to where you pick up the original trolley, but once you are on the trolley there are stops all over key west and the sites aren't too far from each trolley stop. My mother was with us when we went and she had a hip replacement the year before so walking isn't exactly what she really wanted to be doing, but she was able to do it (while we walked slow) and we were able to enjoy Key west with using the trolley.

We just got back yesterday from the Western, and when you get off the ship in Key West there is a booth set-up where you can rent electric cars. I think it was like $90 for 3 hrs. That would be a great way to get around on your own.

I was thinking about just walking around Key West instead of doing one of the excursions. Can you walk to the other end of Du val St. and back? Walk from the ship to the Southern most point take a picture and walk back? Or has anyone walked down there and taken a bus back (ie Public transportation)?

I was thinking about just walking around Key West instead of doing one of the excursions. Can you walk to the other end of Du val St. and back? Walk from the ship to the Southern most point take a picture and walk back? Or has anyone walked down there and taken a bus back (ie Public transportation)?

You could take a bus. I believe it is a little far to walk. However, you could do it if you were looking for some good exercise.

About how far do you think it is from the port to the southern most point???

My three girls (16, 14, and 11) and I were on the NYE Magic cruise a few weeks ago. We first went to Kino's, then walked down Whitehall Street to the southernmost point, looking at things along the way, and walked back up Duval, again stopping now and then to go into stores, ending up at the Coach outlet. Then we parasailed with Fury and got back on the ship about 5. It was a great day! I didn't think it was that far, but then again, I like to walk. My estimate is that it is perhaps a little over a mile from the ship to the southernmost point.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have read some of Shirley's replies about Key West and she has said the island is about 2 X 4 miles. And from some maps I've seen, it runs roughly east and west. I think the ship docks on the western side of the island. (somone correct me if I'm wrong) Duval street is down the length and the southernmost point is, well, south... :rolleyes: Shirley has a sticky on the FAQ thread at the top of the main forum page. All the way at the bottom she talks about Key West (she and DH, I think, grew up there). I just looked at that thread and she accidentally deleted all the info but she will put it back up soon. There is also a lot of good info about Port Canaveral.

I checked out the Trolley Link Carlnne added. THANK YOU! We are a family of six. And the rates quoted for online ticketing is a substantial savings over the DCL rates!
Most should know that kids under 4 are free! And the kid rates are under $13.00 for 4-12 year olds! I like the hop on hop off feature. I won't feel guilty if my younger two prefer to go back to Ship and the others stay with dad.
Thanks again Carlnne!:goodvibes

Of course you can always use Google "street level" maps to "walk" down the streets of Key West before you get there. I think that most all of Key West is on there, it just takes a minute to get used to using it.

Here is a view of Duval st.. Just move the little guy around wherever you want to go.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&q=kino+key+west&fb=1&split=1&cid=17343892689763624057&li=lmd&ll=24.557546,-81.80407&spn=0,359.972191&z=16&layer=c&cbll=24.557631,-81.80414&panoid=cWW58DiJnHSLPjTqzfrPQQ&cbp=12,332.4764204766481,,0,11.620348554344564

We've walked to the Southern tip and back. I did it with a 5 yr old, a 7yr old, 8 yr old and 9yr old as well as my dad who was waiting for a knee replacement! We walked relatively slowly and it wasn't bad at all. :thumbsup2 The kids never complained.
On the way back my dad took my DD back on one of those bike taxis. She was the 8 yr old. She has extremely bad asthma and needed to get out of the humidity.:guilty: Other then that all the kids walked back to the ship and had a great time.:cheer2: Of course the stop at the Key Lime Candy shop might have helped too.:rolleyes:

Oh good.........
even though we live close we have only been once and we had our motorcycle.

Myabe we will go again before our cruise:confused3

But if not i love all the info

Glad to see we will be able to walk it as we want to do some really cool excursions at the other ports.

Yes a Mile there and back is not bad for us with stops in between now i just need to get a good map so i cna plan out where we wsnt to stop.

DEFINITLEY a candy store.....get some key lime pie.....and cool pictures!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter