Moonlight Magic is BACK!

I think this is ridiculous… any DIRECT member should have been allowed to book early if they had a resort reservation - that includes using direct points, resale points, transfer points, rented points, or cash. I mean goodness…. Can’t we all just get along? It’s bad enough Disney has created a class system between resale members and direct members but these people all had at least one direct membership through Disney! This whole situation is just mind boggling to me. I just don’t get it.

I think that the system was set up to allow any owner who has an eligible membership to get in. The problem is that some CMs gave out the wrong issue and some people had an issue with the process...but, there are people who had no issue getting the early reservation on direct or resale points, as long as they were in the same membership that was eligible.

I can't speak for transferred points because I haven't seen any reports of people whose reservation was booked that way post. Rented points I can get because the point of early registration was to have one booked on your membership.

I think that the system was set up to allow any owner who has an eligible membership to get in. The problem is that some CMs gave out the wrong issue and some people had an issue with the process...but, there are people who had no issue getting the early reservation on direct or resale points, as long as they were in the same membership that was eligible.

I can't speak for transferred points because I haven't seen any reports of people whose reservation was booked that way post. Rented points I can get because the point of early registration was to have one booked on your membership.

Early registration was for qualified members with a reservation onsite. Cash reservations were not booked on their membership and it would have allowed for RCI reservations etc. At best this was an IT fail to not consider those who have multiple memberships where one was qualified and another wasn't. At worst it was a choice by DVC but if so it was a true slap in the face to that subset of members with both.

I think this is ridiculous… any DIRECT member should have been allowed to book early if they had a resort reservation - that includes using direct points, resale points, transfer points, rented points, or cash. I mean goodness…. Can’t we all just get along? It’s bad enough Disney has created a class system between resale members and direct members but these people all had at least one direct membership through Disney! This whole situation is just mind boggling to me. I just don’t get it.
I think those that were having issues have more than one member number and the trip was booked on the non valid member number contracts.

Can someone tell me about the AK Moonlight Magic event? We are thinking of moving our trip up one day to participate. We are blue card owners, so we will be able to register early, if I'm understanding correctly. Here are some other questions I have:
1. Will the registration open sometime in June for the September 28 date?
2. What time is the event?
3. We will not have park tickets. Can we still attend the party?
4. What attractions will be open at AK?
Thanks for any information you can give!
It will likely open 5-6 weeks before the first date of the block of dates. Times won’t be available until registration likely but it usually runs for 3-4 hours after park close. You do not need park tickets, admission typically begins 3 hours before park close, if you want to enter before that then you will need separate park tickets. Typically all attractions will be open except for those that close before park close already such as safari and the 2 big trails.

It will likely open 5-6 weeks before the first date of the block of dates. Times won’t be available until registration likely but it usually runs for 3-4 hours after park close. You do not need park tickets, admission typically begins 3 hours before park close, if you want to enter before that then you will need separate park tickets. Typically all attractions will be open except for those that close before park close already such as safari and the 2 big trails.

I don't know what it will be like this time, but I went to the Animal Kingdom Moonlight Magic back in February 2020 and amazingly Safari was open! It did close before the event ended though, It was awesome in the dark, the Lions were awake and moving around, there were 2 rhinos that blocked our car and we got stuck for about 10 minutes! Best safari ride I have been on. Only bad thing is the pictures I took all came out awful because it was so dark out lol.

I don't know what it will be like this time, but I went to the Animal Kingdom Moonlight Magic back in February 2020 and amazingly Safari was open! It did close before the event ended though, It was awesome in the dark, the Lions were awake and moving around, there were 2 rhinos that blocked our car and we got stuck for about 10 minutes! Best safari ride I have been on. Only bad thing is the pictures I took all came out awful because it was so dark out lol.
It was not open in the august 2019 party and they have not offered post sunset safaris since the parks reopened. I don’t remember for the January 2020 one that I went to since it was so cold that night, the only outdoor ride we did was triceratops spin.

It was not open in the august 2019 party and they have not offered post sunset safaris since the parks reopened. I don’t remember for the January 2020 one that I went to since it was so cold that night, the only outdoor ride we did was triceratops spin.
I'm not really concerned if it will be offered during the party since I don't care to see it in the dark, but I would like to know if I will be able to do it before the party starts.

Same thing happened to me. I was on my desktop computer about 10 minutes before 11a and got 6400 as a number. After 11a when I was supposed to be behind everyone who had already been waiting prior to 11a and got their random number, I got a number 3000 lower on my phone. So in other words, after the time when everyone else was already seemingly queued I ended up with a better number. Oh well, got in and booked in about 35 minutes with a number somewhere around 3300.

As you'll see here, some people had multiple browsers/devices open before the 11am start. They then disconnected the higher numbers, and kept the lower number. You'd think that Disney keep these out of circulation, but apparently they re-assign them. Thanks for posting this. It adds one more avenue to get to a lower number that was previously unexplored.

If you have a confirmed reservation for moonlight magic can you modify your dvc stay to a different resort if a room comes up at a different resort or would it affect the reservation? I’m assuming it wouldn’t because you are not cancelling your room reservation and the number stays the same if you modify to another resort
I called Member Services to ask this question. Unfortunately, they told me I could not change my resort reservation or I would lose my Moonlight Magic reservation. I was hoping to move to an EPCOT resort if it became available.

I called Member Services to ask this question. Unfortunately, they told me I could not change my resort reservation or I would lose my Moonlight Magic reservation. I was hoping to move to an EPCOT resort if it became available.
Are we certain on this as I too had hoped to waitlist something closer to EPCOT. My resort reservation isn’t changing its number and I’ve gotten a confirmed MM print out. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything else.

I read the fine print and it calls out cancelling my reservation but not modifying it.

Last edited:
Hi , does anyone know if they offer Moonlight Magic Tshirts for sale at the events ?

Are we certain on this as I too had hoped to waitlist something closer to EPCOT. My resort reservation isn’t changing its number and I’ve gotten a confirmed MM print out. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything else.

I read the fine print and it calls out cancelling my reservation but not modifying it.

I called and asked them the same question because I wanted to reallocate points to the day I had the night with the MM reservation. They told me that since I already have the MM reservation nothing would change. I am not sure what to do now because we were debating moving it to a different resort too if something came up.

We ended up modifying the reservation to reallocate banked points and we have the same reservation number from before modification and after

I am thinking if you were to cancel it would affect it because you would get a new reservation number and it wouldn’t be the one linked to your MM reservation

Maybe someone else can call and see what they say lol

Last edited:
Early registration was for qualified members with a reservation onsite. Cash reservations were not booked on their membership and it would have allowed for RCI reservations etc. At best this was an IT fail to not consider those who have multiple memberships where one was qualified and another wasn't. At worst it was a choice by DVC but if so it was a true slap in the face to that subset of members with both.

I meant to include the on-site reservation piece but typed too fast. I do agree it was a mess if they didn’t let you register traveling on a non qualified membership as they did before.

I get why a rental would not be accepted because then any owner would have been allowed to book it for any renters since it went by membership number.

I don’t think this is correct if the change is done through a modification and the reservation number stays the same,

I can see it being an issue if you book something brand new and cancel the old one out.

I meant to include the on-site reservation piece but typed too fast. I do agree it was a mess if they didn’t let you register traveling on a non qualified membership as they did before.

I get why a rental would not be accepted because then any owner would have been allowed to book it for any renters since it went by membership number.

I don't see any distinction for a rental either if cash stays and RCI exchanges were allowed. Technically if someone had booked a DVC room on cash or gotten the room via exchange that also is a "rental" only from DVC. Eligible membership plus room booked onsite. I think the main one catching my eye that means any room onsite should qualify is that RCI exchanges qualified too if the person was also a member.
Hopefully for those who want to go but were caught up in the booking logistics there will be some availability that was set aside for the 8th that they'll be able to get reserved. I have to notch this up to another glitchy event registration though because of the denials for those who met the listed criteria but the exact scenario wasn't considered. An over complication kind of like the membership cards.

I don't see any distinction for a rental either if cash stays and RCI exchanges were allowed. Technically if someone had booked a DVC room on cash or gotten the room via exchange that also is a "rental" only from DVC. Eligible membership plus room booked onsite. I think the main one catching my eye that means any room onsite should qualify is that RCI exchanges qualified too if the person was also a member.
Hopefully for those who want to go but were caught up in the booking logistics there will be some availability that was set aside for the 8th that they'll be able to get reserved. I have to notch this up to another glitchy event registration though because of the denials for those who met the listed criteria but the exact scenario wasn't considered. An over complication kind of like the membership cards.

Because a rented reservation isn’t yours. It is the owners and you are simply a guest like any other renter

Plus, you could then end up with more than one reservation per membership.

The owner may want to book their own reservation and the rented isn’t going to show up except under the other membership owner.

Now, the easiest way would be to simply not have early reservation and open up to all.

Because a rented reservation isn’t yours. It is the owners and you are simply a guest like any other renter

Plus, you could then end up with more than one reservation per membership.

The owner may want to book their own reservation and the rented isn’t going to show up except under the other membership owner.

Now, the easiest way would be to simply not have early reservation and open up to all.

There was no written qualification that the reservation be made using the membership otherwise cash or RCI wouldn't have been listed as allowed. And as a few reported who had the reservation under a second reservation it was fixed but was too late as everything was booked.

To make the Moonlight reservation you enter your own membership number not someone elses so it wouldn't prohibit the owner of the rented reservation from making a reservation.

They could make it no reservation required and then it becomes a perk for DVC owners close to WDW.

There was no written qualification that the reservation be made using the membership otherwise cash or RCI wouldn't have been listed as allowed. And as a few reported who had the reservation under a second reservation it was fixed but was too late as everything was booked.

To make the Moonlight reservation you enter your own membership number not someone elses so it wouldn't prohibit the owner of the rented reservation from making a reservation.

They could make it no reservation required and then it becomes a perk for DVC owners close to WDW.

Except the rented ones wouldn’t pull up for early registration except under the actual owner whose membership it is under.

Those with the other types like cash show up as an actual reservation for the actual member. owner.

We just see it differently.

Except the rented ones wouldn’t pull up for early registration except under the actual owner whose membership it is under.

Those with the other types like cash show up as an actual reservation for the actual member. owner.

We just see it differently.

Why do you say that about a rented reservation? It shows up on MDE just like a cash. The Membership number that is input would not be the one that owns the rented points. A membership number is not linked to a general WDW reservation. An RCI reservation - that is a trade in not a trade out that would have been done on a members points - is not linked under a particular membership yet it qualified.

What you are stating would only be logical if the requirement were for a reservation under the membership you qualified for the event. That isn't the case. It seems that you just want to see it as different and not that it actually is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter