moochie neighbor

I can add a story to this one. I was proud of myself for not falling for it though.

My next door neighbor is single lady in her 50s or 60s. I honestly dont know how old she is but have a feeling she is a lot younger than she looks. Her son recently got sent back to prison for his 4th DUI and she always has drama with her renter (rents a room from her). I feel sorry for her and know that she is struggling financially. I know this because even when her son and renter were still there, she called me and asked me to go pay her cable and water bills for her. I work literally a 1/2 block away from those offices so I didnt mind helping her out. On both bills I happened to notice that she was 2 months behind.

Recently she called me and asked me to get a couple of things next time I went to Walmart. Since I was going, i didnt mind. I picked up her two things that cost me about $15 and didnt let her pay me for them. Told her to call it a Christmas gift.

Later in the week she called and hinted around that she needed someone to scrub her bathroom for her! I told her sorry I cannot do that. That is why I hire a cleaning lady as I am highly allergic to cleaning products - sorry! I know she wanted me to volunteer to do it for her but sorry - not happening.

This week it is a request for a new watch battery and another roasted chicken when I get to Walmart. I dont mind helping when I can but I am not going to go out of my way too much!

It would never cross my mind to ask to borrow anything from a neighbor, friends or not. I just get in the car and to to the store. We only live about 2 miles from Target, Walmart, and a grocery store.

We have Great Neighbors, TG. We borrow sugar, milk, eggs one every few months from each other. Our Kids play almost everyday and that is what neighbors are for. While at Disney we had the Great Halloween Snow of 2011 and our neighbors called us to say not to hurry home (they were watching our cats) and we let them borrow our snow blower and they were so nice and did our Driveway too. Makes me even more Proud to have such great friends after reading this thread.

But of course I can't stop myself from coming back and reading the updates everyday, LOL

Wow! The nerve and craziness of some people!

This reminds me, I have to try and retrieve my iron from my neighbor. Or should I just kiss it goodbye? We have 2 and I was stupid enough to lend her the better of the 2...

On the other hand she hasn't called me for a while and if I do she might remember and start asking me for rides for her kids again--at least 4-5 times I've given her kids rides to school/work at the mall. I feel bad for them--they were in the same school as mine for years and they're nice kids. Reading this thread is making me wonder whether the mom is an alcoholic or something, the other moms have been saying for years that she's really erratic.

Good luck to all of us with dealing with our neighbors!

I feel like I am reading my own diary when I see all of these responses:lmao:
Our neighbors are truly awful. They constantly ask to borrow everything... Tools, food, the propane tank off our grill...Even my car! Anyway, He came over about ten o clock one morning asking to borrow three eggs. OK, not too odd. but.... They own chickens! There is a coop in their backyard:confused3 So I ask, shouldn't we be asking You for eggs??? He said He didn't feel like going to collect the eggs because the "chickens are really mean". I wish every day that they will move.

When we first moved in 11 years ago my sons were 4 and 2. My neighbors 6 yr old daughter would come over every day and ask my son for things, food, snacks, ice cream, soda. If he couldn't get them for her, she would just ask me! Then she would want to just lay on my sofa watching TV. It took a couple weeks of this and I just started not answering the door when she came over. Then, she started looking in all my windows when I didn't answer the door...like some crazy 6 yr old stalker. One day I was in the dining room and actually covered my 2 year old's mouth and slide down the wall with him so she couldn't see or hear us through the window! My husband thought I was nuts when I told him. :rotfl: After about 14 or so straight days of this, she stopped coming over.

I have a friend that constantly feeds her neighbor and his 4 kids dinner almost every night in the summer. Mom is a nurse and works nights. The man never sends over any food. He and the kids just roll on over when my friend and her husband start lighting the grill. He drinks their beer, the kids drink all their soda and they ate a full dinner there almost every night this past summer. I told her that she was nuts! It bothered her a lot, but she didn't know what to say to them. The worst part is that when the wife was home, she would come over too! With no contribution of course. It just baffles me that some people can act like that.

Then, she started looking in all my windows when I didn't answer the door...like some crazy 6 yr old stalker. One day I was in the dining room and actually covered my 2 year old's mouth and slide down the wall with him so she couldn't see or hear us through the window! My husband thought I was nuts when I told him. :rotfl: After about 14 or so straight days of this, she stopped coming over.

I It bothered her a lot, but she didn't know what to say to them. The worst part is that when the wife was home, she would come over too! With no contribution of course. It just baffles me that some people can act like that.

I almost choked on my Snickers bar with the first part of the 6 yo stalker,lol.

As for the second part: people act like that, because they know there are people who 1) won't say anything 2) or if someone stops enabling them, there is some other" sucker" who will put up with it.

There is no way I would cooking for a few other people every night-this guy isn't your friends husband-and why doesn't he say anything to the guy?

Some of these stories are so extreme. I'm happy to run over to the neighbor's to borrow something I'm out of, but I always make sure to pay it back. They do the same. We aren't really close to them but they are nice people and so are we. I've gone so far as to let them know when we are on vacation that someone is staying at our house while we are gone, just so they don't worry when someone strange is over. lol They do the same when they go away. If I need an egg or a cup of sugar I ask, but I always return it.

wowsers. The parents are the ones actually being mean to the kids and setting them up to be their little gophers to get stuff and teaching them that.

My DH used to be forced as a young boy, by his parents, to go around the neighborhood and bum cigarettes for them . It was totally humiliating for him. They moved around very often because they would always wear out their welcome anywhere they went.

After my fil was buried the paster at the church told my DH (who he hadn't seen in many years) his parents had pretty much alienated most of the church due to their "feelings of entitlement".:sick:

wowsers. The parents are the ones actually being mean to the kids and setting them up to be their little gophers to get stuff and teaching them that.

My DH used to be forced as a young boy, by his parents, to go around the neighborhood and bum cigarettes for them . It was totally humiliating for him. They moved around very often because they would always wear out their welcome anywhere they went.

After my fil was buried the paster at the church told my DH (who he hadn't seen in many years) his parents had pretty much alienated most of the church due to their "feelings of entitlement".:sick:

I'm so sorry your DH had to grow up like that.

Sounds like there are a lot of enablers on here. I was always taught if you didn't want to be walked all over don't lay down and be a doormat :confused3 I love to be a good neighbor and have never had the problems that some have let go on for so long, but we do lend to each other when we need something, but never take advantage of each other. I would nip that type of behavior in the bud and they would catch on quick - would not take it out on the kids though - not their fault, poor babies :sad2:

Some of these posts make me sad, for the kids..others make me furious! I can't imagine dealing with some of those neighbours! It would drive me insane!! My neighbours are amazing. They will snowblow our driveway if we haven't gotten to it by the time they are done theirs. When we moved in one neighbour brought us over a plate of homemade choc chip cookies! I was floored!! I love living in a small town!

Ohhh but then there are neighbours behind us that were having sex in their hot tub VERY loudly at 8pm in the summer while my kids were playing in the yard and we were weeding the garden. I yelled over how tacky they were.

Ohhh but then there are neighbours behind us that were having sex in their hot tub VERY loudly at 8pm in the summer while my kids were playing in the yard and we were weeding the garden. I yelled over how tacky they were.

:scared1::eek::headache::scared1:

When the kids come over you should be polite and just tell them that if their MOM needs something then their MOM should come talk to you. Then of course, you turn her down after she gets her butt out and walks over. The kids shouldn't be in the middle of her mooching.

I feel the need to update. One of the kids came by and knocked tonight near dinner time, we just sat there ignoring the knocking and bell ringing that went on for about 15 minutes. Then the kid left. Came back about half hour later, same thing we ignored the door.

I feel bad being mean to the kids, but obviously these people are not getting it. I need a sprinkler system I think.

OMG! Do you live in my neighborhood? I could swear you are talking about my neighbor!!! She does the exact same thing. Constantly asking for stuff, asking me to take her to the store, sending her kids over, never asking herself, etc. Drives me nuts! My dh did let her have it once, but she didn't get the hint.

This has been the most entertaining thread I've ever read.

I would never ask neighbors for anything. I have a grocery store 3 blocks away and a Target and Walmart less than a mile away from my house. I just get up and go get what I need.

I will admit that we do have awesome neighbors because when the AC was acting up in our building (due to the HOA's lack of maintenence) another neighbor from another building, who is an AC mechanic, came and flushed the entire system in our building and checked each units AC to make sure it was ok. He never charged us anything and he worked for at least 4 hours trying to fix what was wrong.

Nobody borrowing from us, but we have a neighbor who has decided he doesn't like the parking spots assigned to him and he's just going to park in other spaces whenever he feels like it. This guy has lived in the complex longer than we have (we have been there 4 years), but it's only been in the last month or so that he's just randomly started parking in other people's spots. And it's not like his is any further away from the door of his building. It just doesn't make sense.

One of my neighbors went out last week to tell him to stop parking in her spot when she saw him there, so now he's moved to someone else's spot. My husband left a note on his car this morning reminding him that he has his own spots and to stop parking in those that don't belong to him.

When we first moved in 11 years ago my sons were 4 and 2. My neighbors 6 yr old daughter would come over every day and ask my son for things, food, snacks, ice cream, soda. If he couldn't get them for her, she would just ask me! Then she would want to just lay on my sofa watching TV. It took a couple weeks of this and I just started not answering the door when she came over. Then, she started looking in all my windows when I didn't answer the door...like some crazy 6 yr old stalker. One day I was in the dining room and actually covered my 2 year old's mouth and slide down the wall with him so she couldn't see or hear us through the window! My husband thought I was nuts when I told him. :rotfl: After about 14 or so straight days of this, she stopped coming over.

:lmao::rotfl2::lmao:
I'm sorry this is not a funny situation, but I just can't help myself, I nearly spit my coke out all over the computer when I read the part about you grabbing your kids mouth and sliding down the wall.:lmao:
I could sooo see myself doing this in the same situation.:thumbsup2

I too have had some weird neighbors in the past, but none that were moochers, just annoying, guess I was luckier than I realized.
Now I only have one close neighbor, her boyfriend has borrowed a tool or two from my DH, and I had to borrow an egg one time. But, we live far enough away that I'm not bothered by her and her boyfriends fighting (much), and they aren't bothered by my screaming kids. So I can't complain.

My heart goes out to all of you all though, that have to live by some of these people. All I can say is Wow!!:eek:

Hmm. I think the neighbour's behaviour is more than mooching--it sounds more like being a parasite. And, as such, you 'owe' them nothing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter