Montgomery Alabama????

lynn46356

DIS Veteran
Our adult son got his first "real" job and will be moving to Montgomery, Alabama, next week! :banana: Now comes the scary part - what part of Montgomery would be a good location for an apartment??? Does anyone have any opinions on apartment complexes that don't charge an arm and a leg! :) We are clueless. Or I should say I am. He will be asking around at his job (via email) but I wanted to do a little snooping around too!!!!! The timing can't be worse as my mother is in hospice and will probably be passing soon and I have a Disney trip which I leave for next Saturday!!!!!! My mind is on overload. Thanks for any help you can give this Mom as it is really appreciated at this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live in Birmingham, but have a friend who works in Montgomery but lives in Prattville since it's, at least in his opinion, not as expensive and isn't too far away (I'd say between 12 and 15 miles). Good luck!

Look into the forums in the city-data.com website. I belive Montgomery has it's own forum. If it's anything like Houston's (the one I frequent) its pretty active. And honest!

Congrats to your son:banana:

I would also look into Pratville area- north of Montgomery.
Montgomery at one time was very run down but about 6-8 yrs ago several "areas" pop up that are nicer within the city. I do not know about the rent cost though. Montgomery is a strange city to me. For all its history and being the Capital it is not a very large. That is why alot of people live in Pratville and drive into Montgomery. There were some newer and hipper areas popping up in the east of Montgomery but to me it is still a city in slow motion and behind in the times. But that is my own opion.

We have lived in Montgomery and are actually returning shortly (yay Air Force!) I can't recommend specific apartments, but I can tell you the areas of town to live in. In Montgomery itself, look for places off of exit 9 and 11 and also look in Prattville if he'll be downtown or working on the north side of town. Montgomery is ok.... I don't love it, but I don't hate it. Congrats to your son in finding a real job! That's an accomplishment these days!! :)

Have to say Montgomery, AL is the most disappointing city I have ever visited-it's like time forgot to keep going there. We stayed on the far east side and it was nice, but the downtown area seemed very run down and flat out disgusting.

We went to the zoo and actually felt sorry for the animals there-nothing like the others we had been to. We even had homeless people begging for money right before the ticket booth.

I would stay well outside of Montgomery also.

Also I know you didn't asked about this but just something to let your son know. Montgomery is within 4-5 hours of some of the best beaches in the US. We have traveled all over the world and we love the beaches at Alabama-Florida panhandle by far than most we have been to. We live in Texas now and will make the 11-12 hour drive just to vacation in the Gulf coast. Most of our friends in Texas make the trek every year also. Great place to vacation and if you can go when the kids are in school/around the middle of September you will get a cheaper rate on Condos and not as crowded.

The area near the shopping area of Eastchase in Montgomery is nice. It is a growing area with very nice homes/ hotels/apartments. And it is close to the interstate.

Congrats on his job!!

caroline

I lived in Montgomery for many years and go back several times a year to visit inlaws. If he wants to live in Montgomery he needs to go East, but the prices will be higher. DH was thinking about transferring back to Montgomery and we decided that we would live in Prattville. Prattville is a great city and has really grown over the last several years.

Thanks for the replies and information!!!! I think he's leaning toward not making the decision until he can actually go inspect the apartment complex for itself. This information is a definite start. He has been informed that the east side of town is a better option. Unfortunately he doesn't have the biggest base salary so its kind of scary to rent something you might not be able to afford. He'll also being receiving commission so there is a possibility that he can afford a more expensive apartment. What's a person to do! :)

We just left (last month) the area after living there for 3 years. My DH worked in Montgomery (Air Force) and we lived in Prattville. We really enjoyed the Prattville area.

It really is going to depend upon where his job is located. The commute to Montgomery from Prattville varies from 20 to 30 minutes depending upon location. Others have mentioned East Montgomery. This is the newer part of Montgomery. I would not recommend living in downtown Montgomery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter