Monte Cristo Sandwich-- to try it or not?

Monte Cristo: To Die For, or Over my Dead Body?

• Never tried it, but would like to.

• There is no way you'd ever get me to try that monstrosity of grease.

• Hated it.

• Didn't really care for it.

• Meh-- it was ok.

• Liked it.

• Loved it.

• You'll have to pry it from my cold dead fingers-- yes, it's THAT good.

Results are only viewable after voting.
My DS (17) and I have "each" ordered the Ham and cheese Monte Christo twice now since December and have come to the conclucion that we will from now on "share" one. They are just too rich. ;)

I have not had one at Disney, but my mom used to make them. Basically French Toast sprinkled with cheese and with a slice of ham, made into a sandwich, with a little jelly for dipping. She served them with orange slices, since the acid in the oranges cuts the greasiness of the sandwich, but her version wasn't terribly greasy. It wasn't the healthiest meal, but wasn't the deep fried thing the Disney one seems to be!

I'm one that needs to eat light to keep up energy, so I don't anticipate trying this.

I have not ordered this so far, because I am not real big on trying something new. And pretty much every post that I have read so far regarding its greasiness, sounds a bit scary. But it does look tasty overall. So at some point, I will throw caution to the wind ;) and give it a try.

Milli's serves monte cristo's for 8.99 and Im thrilled. we booked for the fairfield inn so we are going to try them there. Anyone here tried them at Milli's ??
I love these so much, and if Milli's compares we will be thrilled.

I think most places make theirs a little differently. Most of them do not batter and fry the entire sandwich. Rather they make a "french toast" type deal and put ham and cheese between it. I have tried many and none seem to be as good but they are still great sandwiches :)

Kind of interesting! From the written comments, you might infer that most people don't like it. But the poll is running heavily in favor of it.

As of Saturday at 4 p.m. Disneyland time, only 13 people said they hated it, didn't like it, or were "meh" about it; but 43 people said they liked it, loved it, or would hang on until you pried it out of their cold dead fingers! :rotfl:

And of those who haven't tried it, 26 want to try it, but 11 don't want to.

So... do many people really love it, but feel like it's a guilty indulgence, so don't admit to it? :) Do we need a support group?

Hi, my name is Gail and I love Monte Cristo sandwiches. It's been six months since my last MC. :rotfl2:

I need help.... serious help..... you will have to pull it out of my cold dead hands :rotfl2::rotfl2: I seriusly think its the best sandwich ever!

We have had them the last 3 times we have eaten at Cafe Orleans and everyone looks forward to them. But we have all decided that they are better while eating than the 1-2 hours afterwards when you have that feeling that splitting one would have been just fine. :rotfl2:

DisneylandMarchJPGs25of35.jpg

We have had them the last 3 times we have eaten at Cafe Orleans and everyone looks forward to them. But we have all decided that they are better while eating than the 1-2 hours afterwards when you have that feeling that splitting one would have been just fine. :rotfl2:

DisneylandMarchJPGs25of35.jpg

that picture got me all excited for my trip !! I want it,,,,, I want it now daddy.........

I have SID/SPD/sensory issues. I think the big deal about the Monte Cristo is the texture and tastes. For me I do not like cold cheese that much but I love melted cheese especially meat and cheese together hot and gooey. I would probably love one because of that but not everyone is into breaded food and if this is not done right it can easily become a cold lump of semi melted cheese swimming in grease just like donuts and french fries that are not immediately drained become soggy greasy globs of food.

I have SID/SPD/sensory issues. I think the big deal about the Monte Cristo is the texture and tastes. For me I do not like cold cheese that much but I love melted cheese especially meat and cheese together hot and gooey. I would probably love one because of that but not everyone is into breaded food and if this is not done right it can easily become a cold lump of semi melted cheese swimming in grease just like donuts and french fries that are not immediately drained become soggy greasy globs of food.

:offtopic: Mechurchlady, did you just get those tags? Are they new???? :scared1:

HMMM, I have always wanted to try one of these, but seriously doubt I ever will. I'm veggie, so DEF wouldn't want one with meat. Idk, I think I'd rather have a grilled cheese sandwich and then a donut for desert, not combined into one item. Thats kinda how I visualize it. Rofl. Hmm, maybe I'll get a powdered sugar donut, put cheese on it, and microwave it. :lmao: Kidding, I'm sure its yummier than that.

I woke up after dreaming I was eating a monte cristo while watching the fire works, and I was in heaven! I was sad to see the last bite gone and woke up hungry :rotfl2: Im there 7 days in August....... thats 7 days of goodness.... no wonder Im dieting now I will need to when I get back again to :lmao:

:offtopic: Mechurchlady, did you just get those tags? Are they new???? :scared1:
Yes, I did. The first is what I tell CMs. I know where all of the Disney magic is at. all the Disney magic is in the hearts of the CMs. Did you know that? I am disabled, not too pretty, my hygienne and manners are not great, and I at times feel like a social pariah but the CMs treat me like the CEO of IBM or their best friend. disney makes me feel safe and happy because of CM magic.

The second is from my inability to accept change because of neurovarations. I call it Sun Wheel and that is that so I was flustered and asked when Mickey stole the wheel from the Sun.:lmao:

The third was all the Tag Fairy's doing and I cannot argue with a fairy, can I? I think she knows about how I doubt my knowledge of WDW and even dearest DLR. I only been going to DLR for 49.45 years.

Thanks for noticing and big hugs.

As for the sandwich have you ever heard someone rave about something and you say BLECH YUCK OOOOH? I think some people are not used to rich foods full of fat, coating, and gooey cheese. I eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches and used to eat ketchup and onion sandwiches. I could never eat peanut butter and bacon sandwiches though. Cooking can make or ruin food like my Dad and I love well done french fries while others prefer them not too crispy.

Now I made me a grilled cheese sandwich that was gluten free. Now to get ham, batter, and something to deep fry them sandwiches. I have English sugars and organic preserves so I am almost ready to make my own.

Yippee for me.... I actually get to post about something I just experienced. Me and my other half ate at Cafe Orleans Last night Sat 4/11, and it was my first time to Disneyland and first time at this restaurant. We both started with a cup of French Onion Soup, and we both agreed that it was pretty darn good... delicious. But I was seriously awaiting my arrival of the Monte Cristo Sandwich....and ....it did not dissapoint at all. It was FANTASTIC! The batter was crispy and it was fresh out of the kitchen. I loved this so much, that I woke up this morning craving it! hehehe... I might have to go back later in the week. The other half had the Chicken Creole Crepe and said it was pretty good, but not as good as mine LOL. HE was seriously jealous. Well ... that is my review of the Monte Cristo Sandwich.

Kind of interesting! From the written comments, you might infer that most people don't like it. But the poll is running heavily in favor of it.

As of Saturday at 4 p.m. Disneyland time, only 13 people said they hated it, didn't like it, or were "meh" about it; but 43 people said they liked it, loved it, or would hang on until you pried it out of their cold dead fingers! :rotfl:

So... do many people really love it, but feel like it's a guilty indulgence, so don't admit to it? :) Do we need a support group?

Hi, my name is Gail and I love Monte Cristo sandwiches. It's been six months since my last MC. :rotfl2:
Hiiiii, Gail. :wave2:

I am looking forward to trying this sandwich for my first time on my birthday (May 1) at Blue Bayou. I'm super disappointed that Pirates of the Caribbean will be shut down for repairs on that day though! Boo! I wanted to sit near the balcony and watch people pass on boats.

Well, while I dont share your enthusiasm for the MC, as a fellow Dis-er, I completely endorse and support your need for the MC. is there a program for me???:rotfl2::rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter