• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monsieur Paul dinner review 6/11/13

What a wonderful review! I almost canceled this reservation due to the bad reviews I saw. I am so glad I didn't! Also, I couldn't help but notice that you are from Boston. (Quincy girl here! :) ) I am trying Monsieur Paul in October with my girlfriend to celebrate our 6th year. Can't wait to try it now! Happy 4th!:wave2:

What a wonderful review! I almost canceled this reservation due to the bad reviews I saw. I am so glad I didn't! Also, I couldn't help but notice that you are from Boston. (Quincy girl here! :) ) I am trying Monsieur Paul in October with my girlfriend to celebrate our 6th year. Can't wait to try it now! Happy 4th!:wave2:

:thumbsup2 We are in Southborough -- happy 4th to you, too, and I hope your October trip and visit to Monsieur Paul are all wonderful! (October is definitely one of the very best times to go!!)

Thanks for your good review on Monsieur Paul. I'm now very tempted to give it a try instead of Le Cellier's.

I have read an article on Disney Food Blog (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/12/12/news-monsieur-paul-menu-in-epcots-france/).
This online article was issued in Dec 2012 so not sure if its accurate.
It says that there is a surcharge of $14.50 + 2 dining credits per person if I'm on the deluxe dining plan. Is this correct?

Do they also have a separate menu for guests using the dining plan or there is no restrictions on ordering from the menu??

Thanks for your good review on Monsieur Paul. I'm now very tempted to give it a try instead of Le Cellier's.

I have read an article on Disney Food Blog (http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/12/12/news-monsieur-paul-menu-in-epcots-france/).
This online article was issued in Dec 2012 so not sure if its accurate.
It says that there is a surcharge of $14.50 + 2 dining credits per person if I'm on the deluxe dining plan. Is this correct?

Do they also have a separate menu for guests using the dining plan or there is no restrictions on ordering from the menu??

The surcharge of $14.50 on the DxDP is for the Prix Fixe menu. You can order off the regular menu at Monsieur Paul with your DxDP and use your 2TS credits. As for MP over LeCellier; I am trying MP myself for the first time in December and am looking forward to it. I ate at LC when it was a 1TS and did not find it to be all that special. Loud, cramped, and average food. Many have said here on the DIS along with others that LC has done very little to distinguish itself as a signature restaurant from it's previous version.

I would also go for MP over Le Cellier; I agree with Goofy4Prez that the place just feels dark, loud, and cramped, and not particularly special. If you really wanted to go for a signature steak meal, I'd pick Yachtman's over LC as well.

The surcharge of $14.50 on the DxDP is for the Prix Fixe menu. You can order off the regular menu at Monsieur Paul with your DxDP and use your 2TS credits. As for MP over LeCellier; I am trying MP myself for the first time in December and am looking forward to it. I ate at LC when it was a 1TS and did not find it to be all that special. Loud, cramped, and average food. Many have said here on the DIS along with others that LC has done very little to distinguish itself as a signature restaurant from it's previous version.

Thanks for the reply. Have just booked a 6.15pm ADR at MP. :cool1:

I have my eye on the herb crusted rack of lamb from the prix fixe menu but don't really fancy the appetiser options. Would like to have the maine lobster as a starter (from the regular menu). Don't mind paying the extra surcharge but will they allow me to do so?

I would also go for MP over Le Cellier; I agree with Goofy4Prez that the place just feels dark, loud, and cramped, and not particularly special. If you really wanted to go for a signature steak meal, I'd pick Yachtman's over LC as well.

I haven't cancelled my lunch ADR at Le Cellier's yet. Still debating hard on whether I should give it a try or not. :confused3
Funnily enough that there are 4 of us going and 2 out of the 4 actually do not eat beef (not really a problem as LC also offers other meat options). I want to try it myself as I have never been before and would like to know what's the hype.

There is no longer any surcharge for the Prix Fixe when using the deluxe dining plan.

We had the lobster as the appetizer and the rack of lamb as our entree. The lobster is part of the Prix Fixe menu.

There is no longer any surcharge for the Prix Fixe when using the deluxe dining plan.

We had the lobster as the appetizer and the rack of lamb as our entree. The lobster is part of the Prix Fixe menu.

Thanks for the confirmation. :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for posting this review - it helped me decide to make the ADR. My DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary at Disney in Nov/Dec. and while I always wanted to do the Bistro, I have been hesitant because of some of the bad reviews (I know it isn't entirely logical, but for the cost, I really want linens and not paper!). Now I have and ADR for December 5th and am excited to try it out!

(I know it isn't entirely logical, but for the cost, I really want linens and not paper!). Now I have and ADR for December 5th and am excited to try it out!

SO glad -- and I totally get where you're coming from with the linens! For an anniversary dinner, it definitely should feel special. Hope your celebration is magical and that you love MP as much as we did! (Should be good luck that 12/5 was Walt's birthday~~~)

Thank you so much for posting this review - it helped me decide to make the ADR. My DH and I are celebrating our 15th anniversary at Disney in Nov/Dec. and while I always wanted to do the Bistro, I have been hesitant because of some of the bad reviews (I know it isn't entirely logical, but for the cost, I really want linens and not paper!). Now I have and ADR for December 5th and am excited to try it out!

I am with you 100%; I was on the fence with MP and felt the same way as you with paper linens. As crazy as it may sound, going back to cloth helped to make the ADR. :)

I really like how you separated your reviews by restaurant, btw. It makes it a little easier to read when I've only got a little time.

Those scallops look simply divine. Your review makes me want to try MP. I'm impressed that being from Maine, your family thought the lobster was so good. It is high praise. I have a friend from Maine and she has such a sophisticated seafood palate.

Thanks again for your reviews.

I really like how you separated your reviews by restaurant, btw. It makes it a little easier to read when I've only got a little time.

Great to know -- I've been lax in getting my other reviews up, partly still unsure if this format really works for people or not. I'll try to get more going soon.

(Links to my other recent reviews from this same trip [with more to come!]:
Artist Point
Tutto Italia)
San Angel Inn
Rose & Crown
Kouzzina breakfast
Kona Cafe breakfast
Coral Reef lunch
Mama Melrose lunch)

And to think I *almost* cancelled this ADR because of recent poor reviews here!

We had always wanted to try Bistro de Paris, but because we go with the DDxDP it never worked out (that iteration of the restaurant didn't accept the dining plan while we were there). I have been to France 3 times, with time in Paris each trip, and I love French food. DH has gone along on one of those trips, and DS (15) is an adventurous eater who loves fine food.

This turned out to be one of our favorite meals of the trip (we were in WDW for a week -- I'll be doing dining reviews one-by-one because I think it makes it easier for people to find reviews of the specific restaurants they are interested in).

Anyway, I think the management at Monsieur Paul has been alerted to the poor reviews -- the paper placement that irritated so many are gone, replaced with white linen tablecloths. There was no bug trapped on the glass of the display menu out front. CMs at the hostess stand and our server were all friendly, courteous, and professional. The the food was absolutely fabulous.

We had a 7:30 ADR and were seated right on time. We thought the room was absolutely lovely.

I forgot to take photos of the bread basket offerings -- the bread is brought to your table by a CM who describes what is available and offers to give you as many as you'd like. We all tried and enjoyed different breads -- DH had a mini baguette and I had a roll with rosemary (forget what DS picked). The amuse bouche (small, complementary offering from the chef) is still the little cheese bread puff; this is one place where a little lift is still needed. If the puff had a soft cheese filling, or were replaced with a non-bread item, it would make a better impression given that this comes on the heels of the lovely bread basket and is essentially another little piece of bread. But this was our only, very minor complaint of the evening.

Our appetizers:

I had the Raviole d'escargots, creme au persil - Escargot raviole, cream of parsley. I can never pass up escargot! This was a refreshing break from the usual escargot presentation (they serve the baked-in-garlic-and-wine version downstairs in Chefs de France). If I were going to make a suggestion, I'd say that maybe several small raviole rather than one large one might have been more elegant, but I appreciate that this was easier to prepare (and that's just a pretty small suggestion!). I'd order this again in a heartbeat, if I hadn't tried a bite of DH's:

He had the Homard forestier, oeuf de cailles mollet, bouillon creme aux truffes noires - Maine lobster with sauteed mushrooms, mollet quail egg, creamy black truffle bouillon. We live in the Boston area, we visit Maine regularly -- we know from lobster -- and this was ethereal. Flavors that just sang in your mouth, a buttery texture -- we agreed that a larger version as an entree would be fantastic.

And DS went with:

Soupe aux truffes V.G.E. - Beef broth, oxtail, vegetables, black winter truffle, puff pastry. I almost advised him against this, because I've seen an unfavorable review here, but luckily I kept my mouth shut and he loved it! The soup was very rich and dense with ingredients (the review I'd read seemed to indicate there wasn't much in the broth), he loved the puff pastry top, and he really enjoyed the oxtail and truffle combination. He declined to share and declined to taste our choices because he enjoyed this so much!

My entree:

Pot au Feu de St. Jacques, creme de choux fleur, consomme de homard au gingembre - Seared scallops with vegetables, cream of cauliflower, ginger lobster consomme. I took the photo the moment before a server came over with the hot consomme that gets poured into the dish. This was so incredibly flavorful, and the scallops were cooked perfectly; seeing the photo is making me truly want to get back down there and order this again! Nothing could improve this dish of heaven.

DH went with:

Ballotine de Poulet, puree de carottes et de topinambour, cassolette d'epinards - Free-range chicken ballotine, carrot and sun choke purees, creamy spinach. Well, that is the description from AllEars; I can see that this version is slightly different with the asparagus in place of the spinach. This was rich, moist, and flavorful; DH had wanted a lighter meal and was thrilled with his choice.

DS ordered:

Filet de boeuf grille forestier, puree de pomme de terre, sauce Bordelaise - Grilled beef tenderloin with mushroom crust, mashed potatoes, Bordelaise sauce. He ordered the steak medium-rare and it was done perfectly. We are laughing at the "mashed potatoes" in the description -- the creamy, sublime dish in the upper right is the potato presentation that was so amazing we all had to dig in. We would have all loved a side order of these! The mushroom crust was delicious as well.

I forgot to take a photo of the bottle of wine we ordered; it was a splurge, and chosen with help from our server (who was friendly, always there when we needed him, and the wine he picked was fantastic).

We weren't sure about desserts only because we were so full, but our server encouraged us all to try the La barre au chocolat - flourless chocolate cake and said that once we tried it, we'd all want our own. He was so right:

This was one of those best-things-I've-ever-had kind of experiences -- very light, a great combination of crispy and chocolately and rich and velvety. And were we glad that none of us had to share!

The place is expensive, no question about it. But this is one of the reasons we go with the DDxDP -- it frees us to make the ADRs we want to and to order whatever we'd like. It was an exceptionally fine French meal, and we all agreed that Monsieur Paul is now on our "must do" list for each trip.

The moral of this story: enjoy reading the reviews here, but always try the places you want to try. People's expectations, experiences, and taste buds vary! Our other big surprise of the trip was Tutto Italia -- another ADR I almost cancelled and another "first time" for us that we loved (I'll try to write that review soon!).

Great review, everything looks so great!!! I have been wondering about this restaurant. We love Chefs de France...we went there for lunch on our last 2 trips. But we may have to try this one instead next year. I have to see if it fits into our budget!

What a nice different way to enjoy escargots! I love escargots baked in garlic, but the ravioli also looks fantastic and is probably very tasty, I'd imagine. Your son's steak looks wonderful too!

You are so right about eating where you want to eat depending on your individual taste. We didn't listen to the negative reviews I read about San Angel a few years ago, and we ate there on our 2010 trip. We were so glad we did...we returned there last year and loved it again! Planning to have lunch there again next July when we go back to WDW. Trust your own instincts!

My DH is taking me there for my 55th bday (ON my bday!) in a couple of days on Aug. 15. If he wanted to let the restaurant know this is a bday celebration, how would he do that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter