Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this point is often forgotten. The majority of guests are not as hard core [sic] as the average poster here and these changes doesn't effect them the same because, well, they don't really know any better.

When Disney makes business decisions it is not us who they factor in, it is the majority of guests. The guests who have no idea that at one point there was park-specific merchandise, better dining options, don't realize that the Lights of Winter are gone or that LeCellir used to be one dining credit.

They'll get there and see that the monorail doesn't run after some point and they'll just go with the transportation that is available.

So Disney's thought process here is:
"OK. So we play up the fact that the GF, Poly and CR are on the monorail, and that the highway in the sky will whisk them off to and from the parks and deliver them back to their front door. And we'll charge them $500+ for a room. And we'll advertise that as resort guests, they can stay in the parks extra late on EMH days. Sometimes as late as 2:00 a.m.. And when they arrive and take advantage of these EMHs and have to walk back to the CR in the middle of the night, or have to wait an hour only to have to stand on a crowded bus instead of taking a monorail back from Epcot, it will be OK, because they won't know any better. Sounds like a plan."

And this is supposed to be an explanation of how what Disney is doing makes sense and is proper? Instead of your post above, you could have just as easily have posted:

"And this point is often forgotten. The majority of guests are not as hard corp as the average poster here and it is perfectly OK for Disney to screw them over by removing a significant perk of the monorail Deluxes because these occasional guests don't really know any better."

Does anyone else find the timing of this curious, considering walls went up this morning around the area that the proposed DVC construction at the Grand Floridian? The construction wall runs back to all the way underneath the monorail line.

"OK. So we play up the fact that the GF, Poly and CR are on the monorail, and that the highway in the sky will whisk them off to and from the parks and deliver them back to their front door. And we'll charge them $500+ for a room. And we'll advertise that as resort guests, they can stay in the parks extra late on EMH days. Sometimes as late as 2:00 a.m.. And when they arrive and take advantage of these EMHs and have to walk back to the CR in the middle of the night, or have to wait an hour only to have to stand on a crowded bus instead of taking a monorail back from Epcot, it will be OK, because they won't know any better. Sounds like a plan."

And this is supposed to be an explanation of how what Disney is doing makes sense and is proper? Instead of your post above, you could have just as easily have posted:

"And this point is often forgotten. The majority of guests are not as hard corp as the average poster here and it is perfectly OK for Disney to screw them over by removing a significant perk of the monorail Deluxes because these occasional guests don't really know any better."

I think this is an overexaggeration. If my trip was planned for 7/31 - 8/6. This would mean that the MK monorail would be unavailable to me for a grand total of 6 hours. Doesn't seem like they are taking away any sort of extra convenience, considering those staying at the Mono-Deluxes still have "front door" access to the system for 98+ hours.

Not that it matters much,
but because it has been a part of
multiple posts in this gargantuan thread,
and it's been hacked so many ways...

Here are the dictionary-approved spellings-

"hardcore"
or
"hard core"
or
"hard-core"
or even
"hard corps"

Now, back to 'Rail Wars...

The direction this all seems to be going is to slowly ratchet down pieces of evening EMH for their eventual elimination.

That would be fine if they were bringing back E-Ride nights - but I doubt that would ever happen.

Actually I think the though process was more like this:

Ok, we have to deal with the monorail maintenance we have been putting off. We are at the point where it is increasingly dangerous to operate the monorails as they are and we have to get in front of the issue. So, do we just close down the entire monorail system for <insert time here, probably around a year> and rely solely on buses and watercraft or find a way to increase the time when the tracks are free of trains so we can work on the maintenance issues one at a time?

Well, I think the later is the better option. There will be some guests who get their panties all in a wad over the decision but in reality the majority will either not know this isn't the normal policy or get over it when they realize we will increase the frequency of buses to the effected resorts and add a monorail loop bus for those who need to get from resort to resort along the line.

Now, we will have to add a disclaimer to the marketing literature for the monorail resorts indicating that while the monorail will be running for the vast majority of the time the parks are open there will be periods of time when that is not the case but we have made alternate travel available for them so they don't have to worry about finding their own alternative.

In the end I don't for see this negatively effecting our bottom line all that much while a guest death due to the monorail's current condition would. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Make it so number two.

I think this is an overexaggeration. If my trip was planned for 7/31 - 8/6. This would mean that the MK monorail would be unavailable to me for a grand total of 6 hours. Doesn't seem like they are taking away any sort of extra convenience, considering those staying at the Mono-Deluxes still have "front door" access to the system for 98+ hours.

An exaggeration in August, to be sure. I am going then and I am splitting my stay between an Epcot/DHS area resort and the CR, and I did so specifically to take advantage of the monorail and its usefulness when we want to visit the MK, especially late at night. By my estimation, my only inconvenience will be one night at 2:00 a.m. when I will probably have to walk back to the CR. But that is because the hours in the summer are late enough that the schedule won't really change all that much. But in October, November and December when there are lots of hard ticketed events such as MNSSHP and MMVCP, the "regular" park hours will be short, meaning that the monorail will quit running around 8:00 on many, many nights when parties are going on until midnight. People who paid extra for rooms during those months are going to really see a significant cutback in services as they try to get back to their resorts after eating at any of the resort restaurants (which will be a more frequent occurrence since the parks close early, and resort dining increases during such times), or when they try to get back to their resorts after the parties in the MK end. Not an exaggeration at all. Lots and lots of people have already made their plans and paid their deposits, and to think that they did not factor monorail convenience into their purchase is delusional. And now much of that has been taken away.

Not sure the morality of it is really the key issue -- but I guess it is an aspect. Things change at WDW. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. Often cost or profit based. I agree it is negative, even frustrating, when there's a change that reduces something that we have come to expect or even rely on, but I am unable to conclude it's screwing over anyone.

If it is the case that the monorail (track, trains, or other) needs repair or down time, something's gotta give.

Ok, we have to deal with the monorail maintenance we have been putting off. We are at the point where it is increasingly dangerous to operate the monorails as they are and we have to get in front of the issue. So, do we just close down the entire monorail system for <insert time here, probably around a year> and rely solely on buses and watercraft or find a way to increase the time when the tracks are free of trains so we can work on the maintenance issues one at a time?

Well, I think the later is the better option. There will be some guests who get their panties all in a wad over the decision but in reality the majority will either not know this isn't the normal policy or get over it when they realize we will increase the frequency of buses to the effected resorts and add a monorail loop bus for those who need to get from resort to resort along the line.

Now, we will have to add a disclaimer to the marketing literature for the monorail resorts indicating that while the monorail will be running for the vast majority of the time the parks are open there will be periods of time when that is not the case but we have made alternate travel available for them so they don't have to worry about finding their own alternative.

In the end I don't for see this negatively effecting our bottom line all that much while a guest death due to the monorail's current condition would. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

You make the assumption this is based on a (lack of) maintenance when there is no evidence suggesting this is the case. There is no indication whatsoever this is being done to allow for maintenance.

Like 99.9% of our membership, I think that this is a bad thing. It puts a really bad taste in my mouth that Disney continues to look for ways to cut corners.

Is this a huge, worldbreaking deal? Nah, not really. It won't even affect me directly, as I have yet to stay at a monorail resort (AKL and WL have been my babies in the past, next trip looks llike two room at Coronado due to the fact that we're up to 7 in my family).

Even so, it represents to me yet another bit of shrink in the world class customer service that made Disney World what it is.

We've seen the loss of diversity and quality in both the merchandise and the food. We've seen cutbacks in hours, in shows, in staffing. We've seen that character greetigns are going away during EMH. We've let these fly because of the economy, because we can't do anything about it, anyway.

Or can we?

At the very least, we should voice our opinions to Disney themselves - not to a message board.

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Drop them a line or three. Let Disney know how you feel, and why. Encourage friends and family to do the same.

The next step is obviously to start talking with your tickets and merchandise purchases... but man, is THAT ever hard to do.

You make the assumption this is based on a (lack of) maintenance when there is no evidence suggesting this is the case. There is no indication whatsoever this is being done to allow for maintenance.

There are parts literally falling off the monorail so yes, I think the decision is based at least partly on maintenance.

Since there has been no official announcement everything concerned with motive is mere speculation which is why I said I think it went like this as opposed to I was there and it went like this.

The next step is obviously to start talking with your tickets and merchandise purchases... but man, is THAT ever hard to do.

That is it in a nutshell and what I said in my first post. If we keep complaining on a message board about how bad Disney World has gotten and then book our yearly, twice-yearly, or whatever vacation we are literally saying we are still happy with the product that they are selling and will patronize it. It boils down to supply and demand and demand will almost always (provided the product or service doesn't have extremely inelastic demand) have more of an effect on supply then the other way around.

I fail to see how walking back to the Contemporary is a disadvantage. By the time you walked up to the monorail station you'd be halfway to the Contemporary anyway. If the weather is horrible I could see it.

An exaggeration in August, to be sure. I am going then and I am splitting my stay between an Epcot/DHS area resort and the CR, and I did so specifically to take advantage of the monorail and its usefulness when we want to visit the MK, especially late at night. By my estimation, my only inconvenience will be one night at 2:00 a.m. when I will probably have to walk back to the CR. But that is because the hours in the summer are late enough that the schedule won't really change all that much. But in October, November and December when there are lots of hard ticketed events such as MNSSHP and MMVCP, the "regular" park hours will be short, meaning that the monorail will quit running around 8:00 on many, many nights when parties are going on until midnight. People who paid extra for rooms during those months are going to really see a significant cutback in services as they try to get back to their resorts after eating at any of the resort restaurant, or when they try to get back to their resorts after the parties in the MK end. Not an exaggeration at all. Lots and lots of people have already made their plans and paid their deposits, and to think that they did not factor monorail convenience into their purchase is delusional. And now much of that has been taken away.

:thumbsup2 Thank you! This is us - we go in Sept, staying deluxe for the 1st time, for the sole purpose of being on the monorail line for those trips back to the room after a full day of touring because the park hours aren't long enough to justify those "naps" mid-afternoon. And for the easy access to and FROM the MNSSHP that we'll be attending while we're there. I just wish this announcement had been made early enough that vacations hadn't been already planned and paid for based on the TOTAL availability of the monorail. I realize the monorail is still running 99% of the time, but tell me, when is transportation the most important for your family? For us its getting to ADRs and getting back to the room after a long day with 2 small kids.

And I don't think too many people would have a problem with that. But there has been no indication that the schedule change is temporary. There are four possibilities:
1. The change is announced as temporary and it really is so;
2. The change is announced as temporarary and it is later converted to permanent;
3. The change is announced as permanent and it is later converted to temporary; and
4. The change is announced as permanent and it really is so.

You are assuming that the announcement and plan is number 1 and I have seen nothing to suggest that it is. Indeed, every person on the inside who has reported on this has said that it is either number 3 or 4. So the thought process cannot be as you describe, otherwise the PR mavens at WDW would be all over the fact that this is a safety issue and is indeed a "fix" as opposed to a new World order. If it is really #1, why would they hide this fact? Instead, they are asking people to submit comments to guest realtions. Certainly sounds like a #3 or #4 to me.

There are parts literally falling off the monorail so yes, I think the decision is based at least partly on maintenance.

Since there has been no official announcement everything concerned with motive is mere speculation which is why I said I think it went like this as opposed to I was there and it went like this.

Really!!?? I've been on them a LOT and been under them MANY times and have never been hit by a part flying off. I think you exaggerate just a wee bit here.

And the key to what you said is, "I think," so, just like us, you don't know either. In short, none of us knows the true reason they're doing this, however, in the past, if maintenance was a reason they did something like this, they have announced that as a reason so I'm deducing this was not the case in this situation. Is an added benefit to them being able to do extra maintenance? Of course. However, I have seen/read/heard nothing to indicate the reason they're doing this is driven by maintenance issues. However, I've seen many things in the very recent past which were changed/taken away based on profitability. That is why myself--and many others--believe this is driven by profitability rather than maintenance.

I fail to see how walking back to the Contemporary is a disadvantage. By the time you walked up to the monorail station you'd be halfway to the Contemporary anyway. If the weather is horrible I could see it.

I am not sure that I disagree with you. My wife? Not so much.:rotfl2:

And you can't be so quick to discount the bad weather issue. It's not like it never happens in Central Florida.:confused3

The need for maintenance, and the fact that they are making this change does not mean that one caused the other. Or that they will in fact be making additional repairs that could not have otherwise been done without the reduction. If that were indeed the case, this change would not have been classified by Disney as a permanent change. It would be temporary until said maintenance was complete.

I think when you consider the fact that this came about just after them removing the characters at EMH and taking Flynn out of the Tangled meet & greet you see a pattern of them currently looking for ways to cut corners.

I really don't see the EMH as being long for this world. I absolutely agree with the PP who said fewer people will now stay becuase of the extra hassle getting back at the end of a VERY late night when they are most tired. Then somewhere down the line they will decide demand has diminished and they will end it.

Ultimately though, they still have a LOT of rooms to fill on a daily basis. And EMH has always been a great way of doing that. So it will be interesting to see how it all works out for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter