monorail ??

ironwood58

Earning My Ears
We will be going to The World 4/4-4/8. My wife, DS 10yrs(4th trip),DS 2yrs(1st trip), just wonderin how you get to sit in front of monorail. I done this when I was a kid and it was such a thrill I want my kids to experience seeing the magic kingdom in an unforgettable way. The thing is I can't remember if there was something special I need to do.

Just simply ask when you arrive at the monorail station. You may have to wait a bit longer, though. It's easier to score during "off" times -- midday as opposed to the morning when most folks are using the monorail to get to the parks. I was lucky enough to sit in the front cab with my fiancee from TTC to Epcot. I believe, though, you cannot sit in the front while leaving from the theme parks.

It helps when there are few people waiting. Go to the front and ask the CM at the monorail stop. He will ask the driver when they pull in and if noone is already in the front car or already waiting then you should have no problem.. you may have to wait for a few trains to come and go but, as you remember it is worth the wait. It also helps if you are at the beginning of a run. Such as leaving EPCOT, Leaving TTC, etc. Good luck and if you are fortunate the driver will give your children a card stating that they drove the monorail.

Please help me understand the big deal of sitting in the front car. As you can tell - I've never done it. I really want to understand. TIA

Its a must for any monorail fan, and a plus for any disney fan... GREAT views as you go into the park / thru the CR, etc. Very cool.. We did it twice in '02... Once I took pics, once video... The coolest piece of the video is clearly seeing the opposite monorail coming at us (ok - so I'm a monorail fan).

Just take a look at any decent picture of the monorail. The front has a HUGE wrap around window!

still not gettin' it - I must be jaded from riding the "L" to work EVERYDAY. Don't jump on me, I know they're NOT the same - but I just don't get it - yet at the same time COMPLETELY understand those that do.

How many people can ride up front? Is there room for Mom, Dad, and a couple of small kids?

JimMIA said:
How many people can ride up front? Is there room for Mom, Dad, and a couple of small kids?

Yep! I think the limit is 4 people. We had room for DH, DS1, DS3, me and 2 strollers (folded up).

I'm really hoping that we (DH and I) will be able to ride upfront on the monorail during our holiday in May. My DH's job is driving trains (regular diesel ones) and he loves them (model railways, Microsoft Train simulator for PC etc) so I think it would be nice if he could get to do this, he doesn't know that this is possible, but I am going to ask a CM when we get there and hope for the best. Thanks to Anim8ed for the suggestion to try midday instead of mornings, I'll save asking for a day when we are arriving in the afternoon.

When we took the 3 boys back in August 2003, we arrived in Orlando (via air) around noon. By the time we had checked in, etc, we got over to the TTC to ride the monorail to Epcot. There was NO ONE in the monorail station, so the CM asked us if we wanted to sit up front.

They do only allow 4, so my DH was gracious enough to let me sit up front with the 3 boys...it was pretty neat! There's something about watching the monorail track as it approaches (especially when we were up high) that made it very magical. Not to mention, the 'driver' gave us our own little trivia & tour.

He gave each of us our cards when we got off...it was very special, and of course, the boys got spoiled.... They thought they should get to ride up front every time!!! We did get to do it 2 more times during that trip, though.

Even if you're jaded from riding the El, it's something you have to do at least once!!! :cloud9:

Cindy's Mom said:
Please help me understand the big deal of sitting in the front car. As you can tell - I've never done it. I really want to understand. TIA
We was in the front & going thru epcot when illuminations was going. The driver slowed down for everyone to watch. Being in the front was a great view.

We rode in the front from TTC to EPCOT this past September. It had been many years since I had done this. I was a little disappointed because the driver was not talkative. Oh well!

Cindy's Mom said:
still not gettin' it - I must be jaded from riding the "L" to work EVERYDAY. Don't jump on me, I know they're NOT the same - but I just don't get it - yet at the same time COMPLETELY understand those that do.
There really isn't much to say about why its so special. It is just very cool for any Disney fan to get that view. You get to see everything and not just be limited to seeing things as you pass them.

simba928 said:
There really isn't much to say about why its so special. It is just very cool for any Disney fan to get that view. You get to see everything and not just be limited to seeing things as you pass them.

Maybe it's like being able to go to the cockpit in an airplane. It's just a different point of view.

I think it's more the experience and the view, than the actual ride itself. Of course, for kids, it's always a thrill.

Like on a tour in Europe, when I got to ride in the front of the bus as we drove through Rome at night, and I saw the Colliseum in front, getting closer ... and closer ... and closer ... until it was smack in front of me. That's an experience I will never forget. Of course, I had ridden buses many times before that, but this time, it was in ROME and it was to see the COLLISEUM. I think the same comparison can be said for a monorail ride at WDW.

I, too, rode the L many times when I lived in Chicago. And even though I rode it to work and elsewhere just about everyday, I still enjoyed being seeing the city skyline appear in front of me at times. Maybe it's just a personal thing ...

Linda :banana:

Anim8ed said:
Just simply ask when you arrive at the monorail station. You may have to wait a bit longer, though. It's easier to score during "off" times -- midday as opposed to the morning when most folks are using the monorail to get to the parks. I was lucky enough to sit in the front cab with my fiancee from TTC to Epcot. I believe, though, you cannot sit in the front while leaving from the theme parks.
I've rode in the front of the monorail MK to TTC, it's just harder to get from that point. :) *** Always ask nicely!! Only four people are allowed up in the front. ***
If the pilot doesn't give it to your kids before you start to get off, ask for a Co-Pilot's License. :) Very cool keepsake!

DW loved it. She had no idea you could do it and I surprised her when I asked the cast member. It is the coolest thing being in the window as the other monorail goes bye or you pull into the station. You guys are making me want to play my monorail soundbyte....

"Please Stand Clear of the doors".....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter