monorail - one way?

boosmom96

Mouseketeer
I knew the monorail was running a limited route, but I thought it was R/T Tomorrowland/DTD. I spoke with hotel reservations today and they said it is only running from DTD to Tommorowland - one way. This doesn't make too much sense to me. Can someone explain how this is working? TIA

From DTD to T/L it runs forward.From T/L to DTD it runs backwards. Now "if" you can ride it backwards is beyond me. :confused3

YOu can go either direction. You can NOT stay on and ride round trip. You have to get off, get back in line and ride the other direction. They are only using part of the track- you will only go from tomorrowland, past DCA/ GC and to the DTD station. Not around the matterhorn etc.

What they usually do is run two monorails. I will use red and blue as examples. Monorail Red will arrive at the tomorrowland station and unload, then it will move forward, then Monorail Blue will arrive, unload and load passengers. Monorail Blue will then go backwards to Downtown Disney. The passengers will be unloaded and Monorail Blue will back up. While Monorail Blue is on it's way to Downtown Disney, Monorail Red will back up and stop at the Tomorrowland station and load passengers. When Monorail Blue backs up, Monorail Red will leave the station and go backwards to the Downtown Disney station. When Monorail Red arrives at the station it will unload all of it's passengers, and then load those in line. You must get off, even though Monorail Red will then go foward to the Tomorrowland station, and start the process all over again.

Should have added if they are working on the track in DL (though I'm pretty sure the current reason for the one ways is for the track in DCA) then you will go forward from Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney and backward from Downtown disney to Tomorrowland.

actually the current reason monorail is going one way is becuase there working really close to the track on the submarines to close to have monorails with guests in em at least

Do you have to go through a security check and scan your ticket before getting on the monorail in DTD? Is this another way to enter DL instead of using the main gates?

Also, what time does the monorail start running in the morning? I know I saw somewhere that on-property guests get priority on the monorail--is this a good way to avoid the crows at the front of the park?

hlbtimes2 said:
YOu can go either direction. You can NOT stay on and ride round trip. You have to get off, get back in line and ride the other direction. They are only using part of the track- you will only go from tomorrowland, past DCA/ GC and to the DTD station. Not around the matterhorn etc.
This was what I had thought. The CM however, was pretty clear and said the Monorail would only be running from DTD to Tomorrowland and not taking people back to DTD. We won't be there until July 3rd. Is this maybe something that will happen later in June? I'm trying to decide between staying at the GCH & DLH. Not being able to take the monorail back to the DLH at night will really help make up my mind!

Right now, they're only runnig one monorail. The track portion that they're using is the shorter of the two lengths (if they were working on the portion that goes through DCA, then they'd probably use 2). It only takes about 5-8 minutes between the monorail leaving a station and returning to the same station.

I don't know why the CM would tell you that the monorail wasn't taking people back to DTD. Of course it is (I know this because I've taken it to DTD, many times around park closing). It has to go back there if they're picking up and there's no reason why they wouldn't take passengers with them, especially exiting the park. (another case of DL CMs not making sense)

Yep, you go through security check and your park ticket is scanned.

iceskatejen said:
It has to go back there if they're picking up and there's no reason why they wouldn't take passengers with them, especially exiting the park. (another case of DL CMs not making sense)
This was kinda what I was thinking! It seemed like it had to go back and forth!
Thanks!

We are here right now and are staying at the GC. We have used the monorail several times to go from DL to DTD, and then walked to our room.

It goes from Tomorrow Land through DCA to the DTD station. As mentioned earlier, you can't ride a continuous round trip. If you want to do a round trip you have to get off the monorail, get back in line, and then board it again to go back to DL.

The Disneyland Monorail is presently running the short route.

Straight out of Tomorrowland to Downtown Disney, as usual in that direction, but is only offering one way trips.

Meaning, all Guests aboard must disembark when the Monorail arrives at DtD.

If a Guest wants a ride back to TL, they must exit the Monorail and wait in the queue again.

On the return trip to TL, the Monorail exits the DtD station the same direction it entered it. Then travels thru the Grand Cali, over DCA again and straight back to the TL station without traveling the full length of the track, nor circling the Matterhorn.

Have fun! The 50th is still rockin'!!

:wizard:

Can anybody answer my earlier question--do on-property hotel guests get priority in loading?

Only in DL (going to DTD). Also, sometimes (depends on expected crowd levels), they may offer exclusive service to hotel guests in DTD (usually only the first hour or two of the day). With the monorail currently being more transportation rather than a ride, it's not really getting the lines it otherwise would.

Also since it seems appropiate to put here in september when the 50th ends the monorail will be down indefinantly because we are completley redoing our queue and making the queue for the finding nemo submarine ride. Also we will be bringing in our brand new mark 7 monorails. Disneyland currrently has the mark 5 and WDW currently has the mark 6 ( Bigger track and bigger monorail with the sixes). More info on the mark 7 as it comes out but they're saying now that the new monorail will open with the sub ride in spring of 2007. So from september of 2006 to spring of 2007. the monorail will be closed and being refurbished.

There was no priority boarding for hotel guests. We had to wait in lines just like everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter