Monorail from DLH?

sgrap

DIS Veteran
We are staying at the DLH for the first time at our upcoming trip in early March. We have only stayed at the GCH hotel in the past, so I have been very spoiled by the quick and easy access to the parks from there. I know the DLH is much more of a hike.

We plan on going to all of the early entries offered. Is it better to ride the monorail, or better to walk from DLH? How long do they each approximately take? We wil be going in to the park 5 days, a Monday through Friday.

Also, I have a recent knee injury and am considering renting an ECV and having it delivered to the hotel. How does the monorail handle ECV's?

Thanks!

We stayed at DLH and actually really enjoyed the walk. Downtown Disney is so fun to walk through. It only took us about 10 mins to get to security. Not to bad even for the kids.

The monorail at DL is not like WDW. It doesn't run as often and it is more of a "ride" than a mode of transit. It will bring you into tomorrow land so you will already be well into the park, but in my experience it doesn't save you any time, just walking.

My last trip to DLR we stayed at DLH and tried to take advantage of the monorail but on several occasions it was broke down or delayed and actually we were on it on our way to our mm and it broke down and we were stuck for about 20 min. In retrospect I would have just walked or used the GC entrance. We still had a great time a VERY much enjoyed the DLH. My recommendation is just not to rely on the monorail.

My last trip to DLR we stayed at DLH and tried to take advantage of the monorail but on several occasions it was broke down or delayed and actually we were on it on our way to our mm and it broke down and we were stuck for about 20 min. In retrospect I would have just walked or used the GC entrance. We still had a great time a VERY much enjoyed the DLH. My recommendation is just not to rely on the monorail.

Great, thank you! Oh my, that would be so frustrating to be stuck when the MM was about to open!!

Your reply reminds me of another question . . . DLH guests can use the GCH entrance to DCA, right?

It will bring you into tomorrow land so you will already be well into the park, but in my experience it doesn't save you any time, just walking.

And because of where the in-park station is, you don't want to use it if you want that first-steps-on-Main-Street experience, or if you'll want to be over in Frontierland, etc etc. We even found it annoying to backtrack into Fantasyland from the monorail. We just walk.

My last trip to DLR we stayed at DLH and tried to take advantage of the monorail but on several occasions it was broke down or delayed and actually we were on it on our way to our mm and it broke down and we were stuck for about 20 min.

We had that experience too, on our first big trip. We were at Paradise Pier, doing the shortcut ALL wrong and going back towards DLH, and each time we thought we could just take the monorail, it was broken down.

Next time we went we figured out the shortcut (go out the FRONT of PPH and cross to the Grand, ignore the signs, they steer you wrong!)

Your reply reminds me of another question . . . DLH guests can use the GCH entrance to DCA, right?

Yes. All onsite guests can use the DCA entrance.

On our last onsite visit we stayed at DLH and were put in Frontier Tower. Because we weren't right near the entrance to DTD, we started just going out the back/side (it felt like the back to us) towards PPH, then crossing over to the Grand and using either the DCA entrance or the path to get to DL. (in the Grand, turn left down the long hallway, out the automatic glass doors, and on out into DTD between Studio 365 and Sephora, turn right, get to bag check!)

I mapped it out and it is approximately the same as going through DTD from DLH, but it made me happier because it's prettier and not full of buying possibilities. My husband and son are horrible with the "I wants", I'm the budget person, and we still haven't worked that whole situation out, LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter