• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail closure for March!

Florida resident and DD of a 2 and 4 year old here. I think the big thing to understand about all of this is that many people (myself included) make their determination to STAY at the monorail resorts to AVOID the buses entirely, especially with young children. Trust me, when you have two kids napping at 4:00 in a double stroller and you wanna go back to the resort for a while, the last thing you want to do is figure out how to get on a crowded bus, holding two kids, a backpac and a 20 lb stroller.

Same goes for going back at night...

When we pay for the convenience of the monorail resorts, we usually do it for that reason.

We're going on 3-13/14 and actually decided not to stay at the contemporary because the rates were PEAK. (meaning, about $100/nuight MORE than other times of the year)

This also falls right dab in the middle offlorida spring break for a lot of folks.

If I was paying for the contemporary or ploy or Gf when this was happening I'd be very very upset. Not because of the "inconvenience" but becuase if I had known about it, I would have booked somewhere else, because the whole reason to book that resort would have been because of the monorail, which is the case for most folk.

I just don't understand this...we've done it many times with our kids. :confused3
Maybe we're a little more laid back and patient than others, but we never found it to be a big deal at all.

Not sure I understand the frustration here, or wanting Disney to compensate you. The monorail is still running, just not midday. And you can still take a bus or boat if you need to travel midday.

Stuff happens.

Not the same thing. The monorail is still running at all the hours people are usually on it,
Wow, glad you are okay spending top $$$$ for a monorail resort...with limited use of the monorail. One of the "perks" of a monorail resort, is the ability, ease and convenience of popping back for an afternoon nap or swim.

First, Disney closes the monorail, during EMH and hard ticket events. Now, it's closing "intermittently" for GF construction? The pixie dust: continues...pirate:

I just don't understand this...we've done it many times with our kids. :confused3
Maybe we're a little more laid back and patient than others, but we never found it to be a big deal at all.

I agree with the previous poster. It IS a big deal for alot of people. We stayed at Animal Kingdom last year and having to try to move sleeping kids in and out of strollers, through crowded buses was horrible. That is the only reason we decided to fork over the extra money to stay at the Grand this spring break. The luxury of strolling the sleeping kids on and off the monorail was worth the extra cost.....hopefully this will be a non-issue by the time we get there (March 29th) but if they are still closing the monorail during certain times I will be very upset...especially since they have not notified us of any possible closures

I agree with the previous poster. It IS a big deal for alot of people. We stayed at Animal Kingdom last year and having to try to move sleeping kids in and out of strollers, through crowded buses was horrible. That is the only reason we decided to fork over the extra money to stay at the Grand this spring break. The luxury of strolling the sleeping kids on and off the monorail was worth the extra cost.....hopefully this will be a non-issue by the time we get there (March 29th) but if they are still closing the monorail during certain times I will be very upset...especially since they have not notified us of any possible closures

I hope it is done before you get there. I'm not saying its not disappointing or an inconvenience. I'm just saying that a lot of posters insinuate that you can't go to Disney with small children unless you've got the monorail which is simply untrue...I mean, how do you live your daily lives without the monorail?? (obviously said tongue in cheek). I'm trying to offer a different perspective to posters who may be panicking about the issue, that it's not impossible. And yes, Disney should have done a better job of notifying people. And yes, if I was paying rack rate, I would absolutely switch to another resort.

I hope it is done before you get there. I'm not saying its not disappointing or an inconvenience. I'm just saying that a lot of posters insinuate that you can't go to Disney with small children unless you've got the monorail which is simply untrue...I mean, how do you live your daily lives without the monorail?? (obviously said tongue in cheek). I'm trying to offer a different perspective to posters who may be panicking about the issue, that it's not impossible. And yes, Disney should have done a better job of notifying people. And yes, if I was paying rack rate, I would absolutely switch to another resort.

You choose other resorts because the monorail's, either unimportant and/or not worth the extra $$$$.
We stay at a monorail resort because of the monorail and it's convenience. Switching resorts, at the last minute, may not be an option. At the very least, changing resorts could affect my touring plan, especially dining reservations.

This! We CHOSE the POLY because of the monorail. PERIOD. It was to skip the buses or the boat for that matter. If we wanted to take a boat or a bus we would have chosen another resort, when there was still time to make that change or we would have rented a minivan for that matter with enough notice. For those that say "Choose a different resort if it will matter so much" I am sorry but I am checking in MONDAY. It just came to light Thursday/Friday that there would be a monorail issue.

I am sorry that so many of you are less than understanding about the fact that people who choose a monorail resort WANT to use the MONORAIL!. Disney is not the be all end all of resort destinations and while some of you can excuse poor customer service "because it is Disney" I can't. I am upset. As a customer and a human it is my right to be upset about things that directly
affect myself and my family. We paid a premium to stay MONORAIL resort which is not the same cost as it is to stay in a bus resort or a boat resort.
Wilderness Lodge for example is a boat resort and is significantly cheaper as
are the deluxe resorts that only have buses.

:hug:Maybe if you call, they would allow you to change resorts without a
change fee.

You may not understand but it is simply this. I do not want to and I do not have to. That is why after staying at POR I chose to PAY for a monorail resort.

Can my family juggle 3 small kids and a double stroller plus a diaper bag. Yes. Do we want to NO. That is the point, we chose monorail to avoid all that and paid for extra for the service to avoid that hassle.

:hug:Maybe if you call, they would allow you to change resorts without a
change fee.

Thanks :) We did call and I have written as well and they said they could possibly move us to the Grand Floridian (not sure that helps with the monorail situation which is why we called). They also said that we should have been aware of the monorail issue as "it has been posted for months" that this should not bother us as it is during "non peak hours". They were unsympathetic to say the least. She said "Is the monorail the only reason you booked POLY" to which I replied "YES!"

It is more the way they went about this then anything. Well for that matter the way they seem to operate closures as a whole. If it were not for the Disboards there are a few issues that would have come to surface at check in. This is just the latest of buyer beware type of customer service.

Some of the information is just information overload and not that big of a deal but booking QUEENS at POR and finding out that they would not guaranteed, so we upgraded to POLY and forgoed our rental van (booked to avoid buses) because we would get QUEEN beds and a monorail and then finding out the monorail will be closed (through word of mouth!) is just the icing on the cake of poor communication with customers.

***waves white flag***

I am not trying to convince anyone not to be mad about this. I don't think they gave enough notice. I do think they should switch people without penalty. And if you are paying rack rate and booked one of these resorts solely based on the monorail, you have every right to be mad. I am just negating the generalizations made about the ability to transport small children around Disney. There are lots of first time planners on here that might get scared away just for that reason. I want them to know it can be done. For those that do require easier transportation, I do feel for you. I'm just saying that it's not a given that it's a necessity. :flower3:

I don't understand why they pick the month March to do this rehab. I would think Jan. or Feb. would have been better months to schedule this.

I personally am not happy about this. First, the poly pool is not running to it's fullest and now you don't get the full use of the monorail. Why two rehabs at a one resort? When you stay at a resort for transportation and the pool and don't get the full experience is just wrong. I am paying a lot of money for something that I'm not going to get to truly use. I also can't change resorts because the other resorts are full.

For people who say take the bus, we hate the Disney bus transportation at the Poly. You have to share a bus with all these resorts and it just never works for us. The monorail was a lot faster than the bus!

Now that I vented, does anyone know if the Poly hotel has to share a bus with the three resorts? If it does, Disney needs to change it to no sharing.

Yeah, why not take a few more things out of commission in Jan./Feb. (NOT!)
Don't you think that time of year has turned into enough of a train wreck?:rotfl:

Yeah, why not take a few more things out of commission in Jan./Feb. (NOT!)
Don't you think that time of year has turned into enough of a train wreck?:rotfl:

Not so much Jan./Feb., but ALL of the Iger years!!

Does anyone know why they have to close the monorail for the construction of the GF DVC? As far as I remember there was no closure during the construction of BLT, and I was just wondering what would be different.

I'm also interested because I just booked a DS and Mommy only trip for Oct at the Contemporary. I booked that resort because I could get to both MK and Epcot (and walk through Epcot to get the friendship boats to DHS) and completely avoid the buses, and any folding of the stroller.

I know I cannot handle getting the diaper bag, the stroller and DS on the bus by myself. Once out of the stroller DS is a wild man, and even with his backpack/leash, I wouldn't trust him not to dart in front of a bus.

If I cannot count on the monorails to be working, I just won't take the trip, so I'm trying to figure this out before I purchase airfare.

Does anyone know why they have to close the monorail for the construction of the GF DVC? As far as I remember there was no closure during the construction of BLT, and I was just wondering what would be different.

I'm also interested because I just booked a DS and Mommy only trip for Oct at the Contemporary. I booked that resort because I could get to both MK and Epcot (and walk through Epcot to get the friendship boats to DHS) and completely avoid the buses, and any folding of the stroller.

I know I cannot handle getting the diaper bag, the stroller and DS on the bus by myself. Once out of the stroller DS is a wild man, and even with his backpack/leash, I wouldn't trust him not to dart in front of a bus.

If I cannot count on the monorails to be working, I just won't take the trip, so I'm trying to figure this out before I purchase airfare.

It is reported that the crane that is being brought in/used for the construction has to be placed pretty close to the beam, so the monorail can't run through.

Thanks :) We did call and I have written as well and they said they could possibly move us to the Grand Floridian (not sure that helps with the monorail situation which is why we called). They also said that we should have been aware of the monorail issue as "it has been posted for months" that this should not bother us as it is during "non peak hours". They were unsympathetic to say the least. She said "Is the monorail the only reason you booked POLY" to which I replied "YES!"

It is more the way they went about this then anything. Well for that matter the way they seem to operate closures as a whole. If it were not for the Disboards there are a few issues that would have come to surface at check in. This is just the latest of buyer beware type of customer service.

Some of the information is just information overload and not that big of a deal but booking QUEENS at POR and finding out that they would not guaranteed, so we upgraded to POLY and forgoed our rental van (booked to avoid buses) because we would get QUEEN beds and a monorail and then finding out the monorail will be closed (through word of mouth!) is just the icing on the cake of poor communication with customers.

What about CR. You can just walk to Mk. Our last stay at Poly the pool pump broke and we had to use the GF pool. When we stayed at BC in December the pool heater was broken the first four days. Sometimes things just happen, and you have to make the best of it. I can understand why your upset, but I don't know what you expect Disney to do. You would probably have better results if you wrote to disney in there contact us section. I guarantee you someone will get back to you. They have always gone out of their way to solve any problems or answer any questions I had.

I AM LIVID! I am leaving on Tuesday - staying at Bay Lake Towers - love the monorail resorts doing Delux Dining and doing lunch & dinner at all the monorail resorts! If I had known back in Oct - I would have booked the Boardwalk.

You are right I forgot to mention the boats, but I was taking them into consideration when I posted. In my experience when the monorail was down, the boats AND buses to the Grand were extremely crowded and very slow in coming.

The Grand Floridian is isolated in that it only has the small launch, monorail and its own buses. You can't get anywhere without them. The other "monorail" hotels have alternate (walkway) access to other transportation methods: either the TTC with its more frequent buses and large Magic Kingdom ferry (Polynesian) or the direct walkway to the Magic Kingdom (Contemporary), which also gives access to more frequent buses to the other parks.

My point was just that due to the lack of monorail service in early July of 2009, they seemed to have a lot of boats running. We arrived on Tuesday after 4th of July, which was a weekend. It was really busy at WDW that week. As that was the only time I stayed at GF, I don't know what the boat service is like when the monorail is functioning on a 'regular' basis at any other time of year.

When we stayed at CBR and the pool was being refurbished, we got a letter months ahead of time for that. I do think the notification on this could have been way better.:confused3

Reporting that yesterday, monorail was running all day. Hoping it continues for rest of this week or at least on those days I need to get to Poly, lol. ;)

What about CR. You can just walk to Mk. Our last stay at Poly the pool pump broke and we had to use the GF pool. When we stayed at BC in December the pool heater was broken the first four days. Sometimes things just happen, and you have to make the best of it. I can understand why your upset, but I don't know what you expect Disney to do. You would probably have better results if you wrote to disney in there contact us section. I guarantee you someone will get back to you. They have always gone out of their way to solve any problems or answer any questions I had.

That is the problem at this point there is really nothing Disney can do :( It is just too close to going. I guess I wrote them because I am upset about the way they fail to communicate with their guests and that I hope that they note that better (any!) communication would be appreciated. I wrote here because I think that telling people that it is fine that a major amenity is closed and that people should just get over it essentially is just not right either. People choose specific resorts for specific reasons and it is a right to be upset and also a right to expect more communication from a vendor. We will go and make the best of it but this whole trip leaves a bad taste in our mouth for Disney Corp.

My point was just that due to the lack of monorail service in early July of 2009, they seemed to have a lot of boats running. We arrived on Tuesday after 4th of July, which was a weekend. It was really busy at WDW that week. As that was the only time I stayed at GF, I don't know what the boat service is like when the monorail is functioning on a 'regular' basis at any other time of year.

When we stayed at CBR and the pool was being refurbished, we got a letter months ahead of time for that. I do think the notification on this could have been way better.:confused3

Not to argue with you (really!), but simply to relay our contrary experience ...

When we were at the Grand in September 2011, the monorail was closed early, and often out of commission at other times too, and the bus and boat service was DISMAL. We waited in hour-long lines for both, and sometimes buses just never came. And when the boats/buses did come, they were ALWAYS shared with multiple resorts (boats=Grand and Poly; buses=Grand, Poly and Contemporary) and every single bus or boat we were on was totally full--often over-full--even though this was a "slow" time at Disney World. Obviously, Disney was well aware that lots of people were waiting and that monorail was down, but if they were making accommodations for those factors, as a guest we certainly didn't see it.

When we stayed at the Polynesian in early December 2010, the monorail, which did have at least one issue when we were using it (we got stuck on it about an hour), was at least always scheduled to be running until after park close and before it opened and the boats were frequent and fast. (We never waited for the Poly ferry more than 5 minutes and it was a quick ride, very rarely shared with other resorts.) It also could be my imagination, but the ride to Epcot from the TTC seemed so much faster in 2010 than 2011, where it could easily take 30 minutes just for the ride, with slow going and stops a regular thing. Far longer than it takes to drive the short distance.

We also received zero notice from Disney regarding construction at the Grand Floridian, which our room overlooked directly, or the closing off the spa, even though that's a service listed in the hotel's name. We were booked RPC (main building concierge) and had our reservations about nine months in advance of our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter