• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Monorail Change?

SkyGuy

DIS Veteran
Not sure where to put this, but I occasionally cross the tracks to the bad part of town and peruse Reddit. There is a post, with a pic, of a woman saying she was allowed “to drive” the monorail yesterday. She is sitting in the driver’s seat while stationary. While I don’t think she was actually allowed to drive, talk about a liability (and CMs are chiming in this isn’t possible), she insists in another post that she was allowed to ride in the front. Does anyone have any recent experience if this is back, even if it’s just a pixie dust and not available by request?

No idea what she is talking about. A number of years ago they would let you SIT in the front of monorail. It was my impression they stopped doing that several years ago for safety reasons. Not aware of that changing recently and Disney would NEVER allow a guest to actually 'drive' the monorail.

I suspect she talked her way into being allowed to enter just long enough to take a photo.
That’s what I (and 99% of the commenters) believe. But she doubled down on being allowed to ride. She marked out her face, but from her hands and body, you can tell she isn’t a kid, so I guess she’s doing it for internet clout? This is why I generally avoid Reddit!

No idea what she is talking about. A number of years ago they would let you SIT in the front of monorail. It was my impression they stopped doing that several years ago for safety reasons. Not aware of that changing recently and Disney would NEVER allow a guest to actually 'drive' the monorail.
I’ve ridden in the front of the monorail with my kids on two separate occasions, but they were in grade school and jr high and are now graduate students. They stopped allowing it after the crash that killed a driver. I would be shocked if the rides returned…without an upcharge.

Could it be a very old photo?
No. She’s wearing a MB+, and she also posted a pic of a WDW Monorail Driver card and sticker. The card is dated 1/24, but the date is handwritten, so anyone could have added that.

No. She’s wearing a MB+, and she also posted a pic of a WDW Monorail Driver card and sticker. The card is dated 1/24, but the date is handwritten, so anyone could have added that.
Photo shop or photo op.

Or
I don't tead reddit. Are all the posters 100% truthful? I guess CM girl friend or potential girl friend.

Uh no driving. They do allow people to take photos. In fact, we were just on the monorail last week and a couple was sitting in the drivers seat and the cast were taking photos while it was boarding and then the couple had to get back into the regular car before the doors even closed.

I know a couple of people who have gone through monorail training and monorail driving is a whole separate training that happens after regular training at the platform. Some people never even drive and only work the platforms. So no worries about safety. the general public is not driving monorails.

Uh no driving. They do allow people to take photos. In fact, we were just on the monorail last week and a couple was sitting in the drivers seat and the cast were taking photos while it was boarding and then the couple had to get back into the regular car before the doors even closed.

I know a couple of people who have gone through monorail training and monorail driving is a whole separate training that happens after regular training at the platform. Some people never even drive and only work the platforms. So no worries about safety. the general public is not driving monorails.
Agreed. I saw a guest walking out of the cockpit a few years ago and asked if riding was back and was told she was only taking a pic. I’m positive that’s all this person was doing - commenters are pointing out that the navigation screen is locked, meaning it’s not moving. She won’t answer questions if she was only sitting or if she got to ride and only responds to people saying how lucky she was. Clearly a troll. Commenters are all over the mods for allowing her to say she drove because of all the people who will now complain when they are told no - or even the higher demand for asking to take a pic even while stopped. Bad news all around.

A little common sense goes a long way when reading any posts on social media. People can claim all sorts of things, but doesn't mean they are true. Taking a picture when the monorail is stopped/sitting at the station is a LOT different from driving it to the next stop. Regardless of what she claimed, Disney would NEVER allow a novice to pilot the monorail...........that just makes NO sense.

A little common sense goes a long way when reading any posts on social media. People can claim all sorts of things, but doesn't mean they are true. Taking a picture when the monorail is stopped/sitting at the station is a LOT different from driving it to the next stop. Regardless of what she claimed, Disney would NEVER allow a novice to pilot the monorail...........that just makes NO sense.
First day on the internet? Common sense is in short supply around here (well not specifically here on Disboards), especially for people who live for likes on social media.

Well...never say never. I was allowed to drive one (after the incident), but it was because I was a manager and was with a rather high level transportation director. It was on the long stretch to Epcot, with the regular monorail captain and my friend (very not novice) right there with me monitoring everything, and I was working, so not dressed like a guest. No guest knew I was driving, they only saw us go in the monorail cab - dressed professionally wearing nametags and badges. I also piloted the ferry and one of the smaller launches between the Poly and MK that day. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot. Those are the things I miss!

We rode in the front once when our son was under 10 (mid-late 1990's). I don't believe we even asked. I can't imagine anyone even being in the front of the monorail let alone driver's seat in today's world!
:drive:

On our very first visit, in 1994, we rode in the front on our way to Epcot for the very first time. I’LL never forget that first view of Spaceship Earth!

It is probably a monorail cast member at the park on a day off. Absolutely no way she is just a guest doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter