Money wasted . . .

rgmartin

Earning My Ears
I just have to vent my frustration. DS 11 decides to play little league baseball. It's only his 2nd year, so we had to purchase a lot of equipment. Plus, his interest then spreads to younger DS's 6, 7. Which equals MORE equipment. So far, we have paid entry fees, fundraisers, purchased cleats, sliding pants, belt/socks, bat, glove, helmet, equipment bag, batting gloves.

Now, not quite halfway through the season, he BREAKS HIS HAND :scared1: Doctor says nothing major, but he will be in a cast for 5 weeks, which is when baseball season ends. :headache:

Obviously, my first concern was for my son. But now that things have settled, I am looking at all the money we would have saved (including medical bills - he broke his hand during practice) if he had just skipped baseball this year. :sad2:

:hug: Sorry to hear about your DS. You might want to talk to whoever runs the organization and see if you can get part of your fees back. I don't know if they will, but it's worth a try. Some of the stuff you purchased sounds like he can use it again so really no money lost there. Also, with your medical bills you were hit with ask if the organization has insurance on the kids. DD got a concussion during cheer practice last year. They have insurance on the kids, and it picked up what my insurance didn't pay. A lot of parents are not aware of this.

it's OK it happens! My son broke his hand during baseball season when he was 13, he sat out a week and then actually played with the cast on. They put him in the outfield he was normally pitching or at first, but he'd catch the ball drop the glove and throw the ball in with his weak hand. He was also able to hit and actually get on base!

Now my son is heading off to college on a baseball scholarship that is paying for his tuition and books! So look at it as an investment for the future, encourage him to keep going to practices and games and to support his team whether or not he is able to participate or not.

L

Sorry about your DS's hand. My DS16 broke his thumb halfway through football season last year. Fortunately for him, it wasn't a bad break and he was out of the cast before the end of the season. At least your DS got to participate for half of the season and the younger boys will be able to use his hand-me-down equipment. I hope he heals quickly and that it wasn't his dominant hand.

You can also take the equipment to a place like play it again sports that sell used sports equipment, in fact for my DD softball we buy everything we can including cletes there!

Sorry about your DS. Good thing you caught it though.. Last year DD15 had a stress fracture in her fibula/tibula (can't remember which one) and played her "town soccer league", then she played most of the season taped up for her school league. We DID NOT know that their was a stress fracture she just sucked it up and never complained. Then during a tournament she said it "hurt just a little bit more than normal". Took her in and a clean fracture and a cast for 8 weeks...

The good thing is Dr. said that they area she broke is now much stronger than other areas.. She did say she doesn't want to do school soccer anymore but she is still playing for the town... Town is over before school so we get to go to Disney in Sept... So there are always upsides to everything and tell DS to go and be a part of the team. Its a great life lesson and he will benefit from it.

It does stinks, but unfortunately, things like this happen. I always try to think "it could be worse".

OK, how about spending $250.00 to sign your son up for AAU basketball and then have him dislocate his knee in the first 30 seconds of the game........also, we had paid $50.00 for spring soccer registration that he can not participate in as well. So now I have to deduct all of that from my Disney "fun money" without continuing to mention it to my poor son:sad2:

I don't think its necessarily money wasted. All the equipment is reusable the next season. In any sport or activity you do you run the risk of getting hurt, but you can't do nothing your whole life. Kids are resilient and bounce right back and continue on.
Yeah, he only got to play half of the season but I'm sure he's made some great friends. He;s also learned to follow rules, work hard and be a team player. He can use these tools throughout this life and next year when he plays again.
Just my two cents. :)

IYeah, he only got to play half of the season but I'm sure he's made some great friends. He;s also learned to follow rules, work hard and be a team player. He can use these tools throughout this life and next year when he plays again.
Just my two cents. :)
I completely agree with what you're saying.

My DD plays AAU bball (another poster mentioned that) & I never thought of it being a waste of money if she were injured. She would still attend practices & tournaments (she joined a team) & she would still make friends & have fun. As soon as her physical injury was heeled she'd be back on the court.

It does stink that they don't get to play something they enjoy due to injury, but you always run that risk.

I also don't think it's money wasted. I know that these activities are expensive...my oldest son does sports and activities. But, you can keep the equipment and pass it on to his siblings so then you don't have to buy equipment again when they decide to do it. I do feel for you, really, but kids play hard and get hurt. I hope that your son is feeling better soon.

I spent $40 for Baseball for DD. All the practices feel in time we could not go, previous engagements Such as dance that I paid a fortune for. Then I paid $100 for Swimming lessons only to have DD almost drown in the first week. You would have thought they would have offered me something since no one noticed she was drowning except me, who had to alert the life guards. She did not want to attend anymore, I did not blame her. She did go back and then we missed another week do to vaca. So she did not end up going back all in all she went to 7 classes. And she never played baseball. Since she did not attend any practice she was not ready to play. I think I should of asked for a refund, but I didn't. I learned to never sign her up for anything without asking about refunds first.

My husband is the Commissioner of our local baseball organization here, and I know that the fees can be really high. So I understand your frustration with only getting through half of the season. But the fees are set (at least in our organization)and a portion comes out for uniforms ( a t shirt and cap)some for umpires (not cheap) trophies, insurance, city fees etc....so regardless if a child misses 1 game, or 10 games the league counts on the money that you have paid.

But for sure you can reuse some of the equipment for next year and it isn't a total waste.:)

I know what you mean. DD started tennis lessons and broke her leg during the first lesson. So new tennis raquet, cute tennis outfit, shoes and cute pink tennis balls WASTED!!

Maggie

i feel for you. hope your sons doing better. our dd is involved with dance, with comp. fees and everything, i spend about $12,000.00 per year. tap shoes were 200.00 , point shoes 80.00 (last 2 months). but i look at it this way. she loves doing it, we know were and who she is with every night. the studio is 2 miles away from home. shes 15 and has been at it since she was 3. you have to thank god your child is able to get up and do the things they love to do, baseball,football,whatever it is. i always told my dd, theres alot of kids we dont have the health or the ability to stand up and do what you do, be thankful. its only money:thumbsup2

Another first game injury story.....during my son's first youth league basketball game this year, he fell backwards, broke his fall with both hands and ended up fracturing both wrists. Even though he couldn't play, he still attended practices and supported the team and his friends.

hey welcome to my world. My dd is a cheerleader. She broke 3 different fingers between end of Sept and first of Feb. First one was bad as it was in the growth plate. Funny that was competition season!!:rotfl2: Ok not really laughing. Let's just say I know her orthopedist very intimately.......:woohoo:

Hope your son feels better soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter