Moms to be Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
TK - congrats! Can't wait to see pictures!

I wasn't expecting any type of shower since this is our second, even though DS is 7 years old. Should I think about doing a small registry just in case people ask? Or do I just not worry about it?

I created a small registry on Amazon before I knew I would have a shower. I mostly did it as a shopping list for myself so I could remember the items I thought I might need... We had nearly 8 years between kids, so while we had the big stuff, there were no clothes or towels or toiletries to speak of. Besides, it's kind of fun to go "window shopping". :)

I need opinions! I finally told everyone at work about the pregnancy. I wasn't working at my current job when DS was born. Most of the women I work with knew bits and pieces about our struggle to get pregnant. One of them is already planning a shower for later this year...she even sent appointments to other coworkers for when to start planning and possible dates.

I wasn't expecting any type of shower since this is our second, even though DS is 7 years old. Should I think about doing a small registry just in case people ask? Or do I just not worry about it?

Our situations are quite similar. DD will be 7 when the baby gets here. My boss is actually hosting a shower for me. She was just asking me about dates this week. I did ask her if she thought anyone would think it was tacky and she said definitely not. I think that it is only practical to do a registry if you are having a shower. I started one, also just for my use, a while back and will probably be editing now that people might be looking. I know I like to have an idea of what people will need/want when I shop. I plan on breastfeeding, which most people already know that since I did with DD too and will have a lot of the same people attending this one as well. But I'm also going to cloth diaper, so I would like to let people know that as well. I'm not opposed to disposable in any way and actually have a small stockpile of a few newborns and quite a few size 1s that I bought last year before my miscarriage. But it would be nice to get some of the stuff necessary to cloth diaper as well. However, since we don't have any local places that sell that kind of stuff I'm doubting I will. But I am going to do a small registry at one of the websites that carry cloth diapers and let my boss know in case anyone asks. I am looking forward to the shower as a celebration....the gifts will be nice, but totally not necessary.

TarzansKat - Congratulations! What a surprising delivery - glad it all worked out!

Piecey - I'd be frustrated with the tests, too, but I'm guessing you are right about the reason - if they didn't do a general test, how would they know where to begin looking - at least that would be my logic. I'm surprised they sent you home with contractions so close together.

Skuttle - This is my 3rd and I'm having a shower (common here), so I made a wishlist on Amazon, but will only tell people about it if they specifically ask. That way it doesn't seem pushy to me, but its there for those people, like my mother (!) who really, really want a list to shop from. I kinda did it as a list for myself, too.

Finally went through a bag of stuff my neighbor left me a few weeks ago, and there are 3 pairs of the Trumpette Disney socks in there - yay! Plus 20 pairs of tiny shoes. I never put shoes on my other kids until they were walking, but I guess I will on this one because they are just too cute not to use. :lovestruc

I went to the Dr. yesterday and he gave me the order for the Glucose test - and no icky drink :thumbsup2. They do it with a specific meal (like 2 eggs and some cereal and milk) 2 hours before the test. Very happy about that - why didn't they come up with that sooner? Anyone else had that?

My doc did a 3-D Ultrasound, too. That was so cool - I wasn't willing to pay the $500 it cost last time around when they had just come out, so this was my first. I love technology. I think the baby looks like my husband and youngest son. My sister thinks she looks like a wrinkled old man :rotfl:

I asked DH his opinion on paint colors for the nursery yesterday because I always ask and he never cares, but then at least I've asked. He seems to have picked this time to be the first time in his life he cares - he is adamant the walls not be pink. I picked the least pinky pink I could find, too. Teach me to ask him :headache: Apparently pink stuff in the room is okay, but not pink walls. And men say we are not logical? :lmao:

tarzanskat: congratulations!

emalee: she is beautiful.

piecy: wow! he is a big boy!

skuttle: I don't think there's any problem with making a registry in your situation.

went to dr yesterday. gbs test was negative. he said I am fully effaced and 1 cm dilated. baby dropped weeks ago and is still there so we are just waiting. he said it could be a couple days or a couple weeks. I am hoping for days!

Our situations are quite similar. DD will be 7 when the baby gets here. My boss is actually hosting a shower for me. She was just asking me about dates this week. I did ask her if she thought anyone would think it was tacky and she said definitely not. I think that it is only practical to do a registry if you are having a shower. I started one, also just for my use, a while back and will probably be editing now that people might be looking. I know I like to have an idea of what people will need/want when I shop. I plan on breastfeeding, which most people already know that since I did with DD too and will have a lot of the same people attending this one as well. But I'm also going to cloth diaper, so I would like to let people know that as well. I'm not opposed to disposable in any way and actually have a small stockpile of a few newborns and quite a few size 1s that I bought last year before my miscarriage. But it would be nice to get some of the stuff necessary to cloth diaper as well. However, since we don't have any local places that sell that kind of stuff I'm doubting I will. But I am going to do a small registry at one of the websites that carry cloth diapers and let my boss know in case anyone asks. I am looking forward to the shower as a celebration....the gifts will be nice, but totally not necessary.

What cloth diapers are you planning on using?

So far I have gotten a dozen GroBaby shells with 24 inserts and 24 boosters. Since the new GroVia's were introduced I got them for $281, which was a pretty decent discount. I plan to add to that though. I am thinking I will probably use disposable until the baby is big enough for the one size cloth since I don't think that will be long at all (and I already have some and really anticipate getting some diapers as gifts). I would like to add some prefolds, some Flips, some BumGenius 4.0's and then some Fuzzibunz. Probably a dozen prefolds to use with my GroBaby covers and Flip Covers at times, then maybe 3-4 of the Flip System, BumGenius 4.0's and Fuzzibunz. I'm thinking the Fuzzibunz may be best for nighttime. Then I'll probably add some stay-dry liners and enough inserts for nightime use. I like the snaps so I'm sticking with ones that offer snaps. And colors....I want some pretty pink ones too and I got all vanilla in my grobaby since that was all that they had with snaps....and they won't show through clothes.

Are you thinking about using cloth?

I went to the Dr. yesterday and he gave me the order for the Glucose test - and no icky drink :thumbsup2. They do it with a specific meal (like 2 eggs and some cereal and milk) 2 hours before the test. Very happy about that - why didn't they come up with that sooner? Anyone else had that?

my midwife is going to let me eat jelly beans. apparently, there was a study done that if you eat a certain number (cant remember how many she told me) of brach brand jelly beans it has the same sugar content as the nasty orange stuff. i still have a while before this test but i was complaining about how sick i got from the orange drink at the last appt and she told me about it.

Tarzan - Congrats!

Em - Your DD is adorable!

my midwife is going to let me eat jelly beans. apparently, there was a study done that if you eat a certain number (cant remember how many she told me) of brach brand jelly beans it has the same sugar content as the nasty orange stuff. i still have a while before this test but i was complaining about how sick i got from the orange drink at the last appt and she told me about it.

I had the glucose test this past Monday and she gave me the fruit punch drink. It actually tasted good! I passed the test, but have low iron so I need to start taking an iron supplement now in addition to the prenatal vitamin. The doc also said to start taking vitamin C w/ the iron supplement.

What's your opinion on how much info to tell my DD? She's been asking a lot of questions about how the baby comes out, etc. Right now, she thinks they open up your stomach. I'm not sure if I should tell her or just let her keep thinking that. I don't think she believes that b/c she keeps asking. She is 7, she will be 8 in October.

Tarzan - Congrats!

I had the glucose test this past Monday and she gave me the fruit punch drink. It actually tasted good! I passed the test, but have low iron so I need to start taking an iron supplement now in addition to the prenatal vitamin. The doc also said to start taking vitamin C w/ the iron supplement.

What's your opinion on how much info to tell my DD? She's been asking a lot of questions about how the baby comes out, etc. Right now, she thinks they open up your stomach. I'm not sure if I should tell her or just let her keep thinking that. I don't think she believes that b/c she keeps asking. She is 7, she will be 8 in October.

Well I told DD (who will be 7 in November) that they would cut open mommy's tummy and get the baby out that way, just like they did with her. Which she was fine with.....however then I said something at a later date about childbirth that she caught and asked me if they don't cut your tummy open how does the baby get out. So I told her - "you know the little hole in your tushy.....well when it's time for the baby to come out it actually gets big enough that the baby comes out there." She gave me a kind of shocked look to which I replied "Kind of gross, huh" and she just said yes and went on. She hasn't asked another thing about it since. Being a typical child she had asked before what it was for and I had just changed the subject and she'd never insisted......so maybe she won't ask again. I just hope it will be a while before she asks how the baby got in there to begin with :)

My DD's a bit older and already showing signs of puberty. I've been rather frank with her about the whole process from getting pregnant to the birth. If I'd been able to do a vbac, she would have been there for the birth. We also watched several videos of births, and I answered any and all questions she had. I guess I must have missed something in all those discussions, because the other day we were talking and I realized we had never explain exactly what sex was. When I told she was rather grossed out. Now if only she can stay grossed out for 8 more years. At 8 I would tell her the truth about how the baby comes out. You never know what other kids will tell her on the playground at school, and I'd personally rather my child know the truth.

Thanks for the responses. I'm afraid I'm going to traumatize her if I tell her where the baby really comes out. :lmao:

Next time she asks, I'll probably try to explain it or maybe I can find a good website or something to show her on the computer.

Hmmm, maybe even a book.

Or better yet, "Go ask your Dad!"

I'm glad this one is going to be a boy.........

Hi Everyone - I can't believe it's Aug. already, I have several pages to go back through and read....

I had first growth scan ultrasound and baby Danielle is in the 59 percentile...at the moment. Had to make appts for the first 3 weeks of NSTs - they say it will be 1 hour appt/ twice per week - YIKES I better get a good book to read.

Anything I should know about the Non stress tests - doc says its just like when they listen with the doppler at reg. appt but for much longer.....sounds straightforward enough I just wondered if any of you experienced momma's have been through it...

thanks

Hi Everyone - I can't believe it's Aug. already, I have several pages to go back through and read....

I had first growth scan ultrasound and baby Danielle is in the 59 percentile...at the moment. Had to make appts for the first 3 weeks of NSTs - they say it will be 1 hour appt/ twice per week - YIKES I better get a good book to read.

Anything I should know about the Non stress tests - doc says its just like when they listen with the doppler at reg. appt but for much longer.....sounds straightforward enough I just wondered if any of you experienced momma's have been through it...

thanks

I had non-stress tests with DD4. Basically I sat in a little room by myself listening to my daughter's heartbeat for 30-60 minutes (I think they may have forgotten about me the time I was there for 60 minutes). There really is nothing to it - the nurse would come in and see if I was having contractions, checking the ream of paper every little while. I had to do this for about 8 weeks, once a week.

thanks

I have them bi-weekly right now.. I think some OB's do them differently.
At mine I have to hold a little handle and when Owen moves, I hit the button. Other than that it's just monitors on my belly watching Owen's heartrate and my contractions.

They told me to get off the machine Owen's heartrate has to go up 15 beats and stay up for 10 seconds. It has to do that 2x in 10 minutes or I get to sit there all day. :headache:

They are testing to make sure he is tolerating all the extra fluid, though, so that is probably different for other people. :goodvibes

Tarzan - Congrats!

I had always assumed I would explain the birds and the bees (at an age appropriate level) to my DD (now 8) when I got pregnant the second time. That's what my mom did with me using a book called How Babies are Made. However, since it took so long to conceive #2, my DD found out in first grade from a friend whose dog was expecting puppies. There was lots of talk on the playground and calls from the teacher. So I found a copy of How Babies are Made and bought it (only to find out my mother still had my copy). It explains things in good terms for kids, but doesn't leave anything out. The illustrations are all paper cut outs, but detailed enough to give a good picture.

Anyway, JMHO.

I was just saying today that I think the makers of maternity clothes need to take a hint from the makers of kids clothes and put in the adjustable waists :)

Well I threw up again this morning. This time I was driving down the road and had to pull over quickly. Then I had to turn around and go back home because I had peed on myself when puking - please tell me I'm not the only one that this has ever happened to :blush:

You are definitely not alone! I used to spend a lot of time driving some days for my job and started carrying empty shopping bags in the car for the times when it came on so fast I didn't have time to pull off the road.

A few pairs of my maternity pants have the adjustable waists like kids clothes - they are from Old Navy and a boutique that went out of business.

Sounds really normal. I have BHs all throughout the day - usually several an hour. Sometimes I have less and sometimes I have more. One night I had them every 5-6 minutes for about 2 hours. But they weren't painful so I attributed it to not drinking enough water (I had been at the beach all day). As long as you are staying hydrated, I wouldn't go to the ER unless they are so painful you can't stand it (I'm with you on the money aspect - it's crazy expensive!).

:rotfl: DH will play "I Spy" with DD3. She's about as good as your DS. She always spies the same thing - the window treatment. He's getting very good at answering correctly.

Thanks for the resassurance on the BH - I mentioned it to my OB this week and he said the same thing about making sure to drink enough water. Too cute at your DD playing "I Spy"! :rotfl:

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I've been on and no, I'm not preggers again I just thought I'd let everyone know that Allie is doing really great...she's got such a personality!

What a little cutie! :cutie: I agree with everyone else's advice on WDW - we were prepared to take breaks with DS when we took him at 22 months, but he was flexible so we only did it one day then he napped in the stroller other days with no problem. Sometimes a couple times a day - shorter naps than usual.

Hello, ladies! Baby boy was born on July 26. 7 lbs, 9 oz, 19.5 inches long and perfectly healthy. Just wanted to check in and say hello. :goodvibes

Congratulations!!! What a fast labor! How does his size compare to your first?

As irritating as it is that they don't just test for specifics the first time, does anyone know why? I'm assuming it's less expensive to just do a generic test for a bunch of stuff and then narrow down from there if needed? Just curious if anyone knew for sure.

My dr does this too, and I always assumed for the same reasons as you - to save money.

Everyone at my work (and here!) reassured me that it's not bad to do a registry for your second. Like others, I also use it for a personal shopping list and would be just thrilled if anyone bought me anything - off the list or not! :goodvibes Plus, BRU and Target give out gift cards for setting up a registry, so I couldn't pass that up!

Finally went through a bag of stuff my neighbor left me a few weeks ago, and there are 3 pairs of the Trumpette Disney socks in there - yay! Plus 20 pairs of tiny shoes. I never put shoes on my other kids until they were walking, but I guess I will on this one because they are just too cute not to use. :lovestruc

I had the fruit punch drink, but I really like the sound of your doc's glucose test better! :thumbsup2 Sounds like you got lots of great stuff from the neighbor!

went to dr yesterday. gbs test was negative. he said I am fully effaced and 1 cm dilated. baby dropped weeks ago and is still there so we are just waiting. he said it could be a couple days or a couple weeks. I am hoping for days!

you're getting so close!!

Thanks everyone on the registry thoughts. I think I may do a small one just in case people ask. I know I LOVE having a registry to shop from. It just makes it a lot easier. Of course, unlike our wedding, most of the stuff we received from our first baby shower that we didn't register for was stuff we could use anyways.

I had also thought of starting one just to keep track of the things we need. Like many of you with older kids, we have the big things, but we didn't keep any clothes, blankets, etc. (except for the few things that were meaningful). I wouldn't put the big things on the registry that we will need, like car seats and stroller. Our old car seats expired and I hate my big travel system stroller. I'll leave those things for the grandparents! ;)

I can't believe some of you get to do the glucose test without the nasty drink! I had fruit punch also but still thought it was gross!

DS hasn't asked much about out the baby comes out. He knows a Dr helps get the baby out of my tummy. He hasn't asked much more than that. Maybe when I start getting bigger and showing he'll be more interested. I've tried to be open and honest about most things, but I"m not sure I'm ready to tackle this one!

So many on here are SOOOO close!! Very exciting!

So, I took a BIG step this weekend for me! I actually bought a box of diapers. :eek: DH couldn't believe it. Of course, when I started to take it out of the shopping cart "just in case I jinx it", I thought DH was going to scream at me! I know I wear him down being so nervous! In a couple of weeks, I think I'll need to start looking for maternity clothes as well. It's all starting to seem so real!

skuttle, if it's just one shower you are having, you may want to have them print up a wish list of your favorite items to include in the invite. Especially if this is an informal shower. My best friends threw one for us and I gave the hosts a list of things I used a lot with DD and knew I'd need with this one (Butt Paste, Huggies, Medela products, Mylicon, etc). I didn't need a ton of clothes, which most people will buy if they don't know what you want. So that's another option in case you don't want to do a formal registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter