Mom's Birthday is during our vacation. Suggestions for how to celebrate?

klwdisney

DIS Veteran
My mom and I will be at WDW 4/28 - 5/4. Her 62nd bday is on 5/1. I need some ideas for celebrating/surprising her for her bday. Maybe a special restaurant? A room delivery? I am overwhelmed with choices. What have you done that's gone over big ... but wasn't out of this world expensive??

I think it really depends on her interests. For instance, we spent my birthday at Disney and we did a few things - rented a cabana all day (we stayed at the Poly), saw the Spirit of Aloha show (never had done this before but never will again), and we went parasailing! If your mom likes shows, try the Hoop Dee Doo (VERY fun and they will celebrate your bday). You could go horse back riding or do a wagon ride or other things like that at Fort Wilderness. Or you could do a super nice dinner - like Victoria and Alberts or California Grill.

I know lots of people do the 'in room' celebration but that is usually just marked up merchandise placed in your room. You could always buy stuff before you leave and put it in the room yourself.

Anyway, there is sooo much to do on any budget for any type of person. But you need to think about what your mom would like (is she adventurous? studious? a foodie? like to be pampered?). You could book a tour in one of the parks (AK trek, EP segway tour, MK behind the scenes, EP the land tour) or book some time at a spa or do something poolside, or go fishing or boating.

So you are RIGHT to say you are overwhelmed with choices! Maybe if you give a little more info on your mom and what she likes?

My mom and I will be at WDW 4/28 - 5/4. Her 62nd bday is on 5/1. I need some ideas for celebrating/surprising her for her bday. Maybe a special restaurant? A room delivery? I am overwhelmed with choices. What have you done that's gone over big ... but wasn't out of this world expensive??

First thing to do, is to inform WDW that you are celebrating your mom's birthday during the visit. If your hotel reservations are already made, call back to add that info.

To me, the ultimate birthday dinner would be California Grill, at the top of the Contemporarary Resort, during Wishes. This is a difficult reservation to obtain, but if you tell them that it's for a birthday celebration, maybe some pixie dust will happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWvhhr0GqTo

Hmmmm, what would I like for my birthday...well, would have liked for my 62nd birthday. At any rate...have you looked into a Segway tour??? Loved that when we did it last year. Then head over to Flying Fish for a nice dinner...yum. Yep, that would be my idea of a nice birthday...besides being in WDW with my daughter!!!

OP! You might want to jump on this QUICKLY!!!
I just checked WDW online dining ADR's and on Tuesday, May 1st, there is a table for 2 at 9:15 pm at the California Grill. Wishes is at 10:00 pm that night, so this is an AWESOME opportunity! You can always cancel or change it. GO!!!

I'm celebrating my 30th :scared1: down in WDW this November -

The plan: spend the day in Epcot (my favorite park), have lunch at Le Cellier (My fav restaurant for sentimental reasons), dinner at Bistro de Paris (first time there), and my boyfriend isn't let me pay for anything that whole day.

Very simple but being able to spending a 3rd birthday is WDW (also celebrated there when I was 6 and 28) is really more than enough for me.

How fun! First, like the pp said, tell WDW. . .put it on every ADR and let the hotel staff know. They may put a balloon in the room or make a special phone call. The front desk should give her a b-day button. . .have her wear it all week. Everyone says Happy Birthday and many places will do something special. If the resort does not give her a button, ask for one on at a Park Information booth. Next, Disney Florist does AMAZING arrangements. . .a bit pricey but totally worth it! Have it delivered the first day and enjoy them all week. My favorite thing to do is have a special cake made. Several resorts have fabulous pastry chefs that create beautiful cakes. There is a huge range in pricing but start around $30. Certain bakeries deliver to certain restaurants. Check out the Cake Chatter Thread. It has tons of info, photos, prices and how to order (so you don't just get the "Sara Lee" Podium cake). I bet the nicest part of her trip will be. . .you! Have a great time!

Thanks for your responses!!

I have to say, my mom has done both the luau and the hoop dee doo and has no interest in going back to either. haha Our last trip together (2008) I surprised her with La Nouba tickets. As much as I love the idea of Wishes from the Contemporary, I can barely get her to agree to eating as "late" as 7:00 pm, let alone 9:15 haha. I love the idea of the flowers but I'd hate to spend a fortune on an arrangement that we just had to throw out at the end of the week when we left for the airport but it's an idea. I may look into a special tour and dinner that day maybe. Or maybe the idea of a spa treatment.

THANKS!!

When I wanted to do something special for my mother - i booked her for the keys to the kingdom tour. She loved it. This time I booked dinner at Ohana because I have heard her rave about it for years and with some persistence I managed to get in for this trip as a thank you for all you do. The other tour she has dome was the one at the land in epcot where they get to check out the greenhouses and all that jazz.
I have not done any of these but i know she enjoyed them. There is so much to chose from. Have fun with it

Maybe Afternoon Tea at the Grand Floridian, nice and quiet relaxed atmosphere

Definitely get Birthday button for her to wear all day (or even all trip!) to celebrate. Everyone will treat her special when she wears it.

Last summer I wore my birthday button & I got a free small dessert with candles & singing waiters at every table service we ate at. Plus when we were getting off 1 ride, a Cast Member told me there was a phone call for me - and it was Goofy on the telephone wishing me a happy birthday! I thought that was so special I teared up.

:wizard:

What does your mother want to do? We just had our 30th wedding anniversary at Disney World with our entire immediate family. We did what WE wanted and that was a very simple pizza party in our room with everyone there. That's what WE wanted. The birthday celebration should be about what your mother wants, not anyone else. Who the heck cares about that? She will turn 62 only once so let her decide.

Our celebration was one of the best (if not the best) because WE chose it and chose to have our family there. It's not the material things, it's the company that counts.

It is a bit pricey but the illuminations cruise at Epcot is awesome. You get a private boat that holds about 10 people. they take you out a couple hours before. We did it a few years back for my FIL's 50th birthday. It was great.

Hey!
I just returned from Disney with my daughter and we celebrated her 18th birthday as well. Definately do the button, such fun. Make sure the resort knows because they may send something special to the room. We were at the Yacht Club and they were so lovely and generous.
Maybe you could do a custom basket? I did that for my daughter from Memories by Betsy and couldn't have been more pleased. Very easy to work with and thrilled Elizabeth when she came in and saw the present sitting there. Just a great thing.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time and enjoy your Mother.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter