Mommy's little escape artist.

slzer0

DIS Veteran
Can anyone show a pic or describe the cabin doors/locks on the dream?
Is it a knob, lever, etc?
Does it have that "hotel foldover" deadbolt thing?

Little Mister is great at levers, discovering knobs, and is mighty sneaky!

I can tell him NO and stress the dangers, of course, but there's only so much reasoning you can do with a 2yo.

I have a pic, but can never figure out how to post them on here! :confused3

I was on the Fantasy, but I imagine they're the same as the dream.

No foldover deadbolt.

It's kind of like this type:

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/jevanto/jevanto1008/jevanto100800006/7529057-door-handle.jpg

The door is pretty heavy, and I know my kid at age 2 didn't have the strength to open something like that, but if yours is pretty good at figuring out how to open things I can imagine it may be an easy one for him.

Even if he could reach the lock, which is higher up on the door, there is no way he would be strong enough or get enough leverage to turn the handle and slide it open.

However, there is a table that can be removed so he is not tempted to climb on it to reach the door handle.

Even if he could reach the lock, which is higher up on the door, there is no way he would be strong enough or get enough leverage to turn the handle and slide it open.

However, there is a table that can be removed so he is not tempted to climb on it to reach the door handle.

I think OP was asking about the main door coming into the room, not the verandah door.

If it's like the classic ships, the handle (door knob) is similar to the picture posted, and the lock is a knob that you turn to put the dead bolt in place underneath it. There's no fold-over type thing that you find in hotels.

Some people have reported stacking luggage and/or the room chairs in the little hallway leading to the door that would cause a bit of noise and time to aid in you being able to get to him before he gets to the door.

EDIT: I found a picture (not great) of the door from the inside. You can see the handle with the little knob below it (has the do not disturb tag hanging on it):
2vcamj7.jpg

It'd be a fantastic idea to let the Nursery/Oceaneer Club Counselors know as well! We sometimes get our more...inquisitive kids who figure out how to open doors in our spaces and let all the other kids out. :scared:

It'd be a fantastic idea to let the Nursery/Oceaneer Club Counselors know as well! We sometimes get our more...inquisitive kids who figure out how to open doors in our spaces and let all the other kids out. :scared:

I know it's not funny, but.... :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

The picture in my head right now is of one small child opening the door and all the others running out as fast as they can.

So, in retrospect, please let all adults responsible for the little angels know before hand. An ounce of prevention....

CMontheseas said:

Omg, Rugrats anyone? ROFL!

Yes I meant the main door, we are in 8D, no verandah.
Maybe I will put bells on the door handle?

Someone a while ago mentioned a door alarm, I may invest in one. I wasnt sure if this knob type was classics only or fleet wide.

If you little one can open the door because it is so heavy you need to put him in strength training.

bliscum said:
If you little one can open the door because it is so heavy you need to put him in strength training.

Glad to hear it's heavy, that makes me worry a bit less.

You don't mean OUT out, right? And you mean a proper door not the clear electronically locked gate things?

You don't mean OUT out, right? And you mean a proper door not the clear electronically locked gate things?

I mean Out out. :worried: Like, off into the rest of the ship world! (Which is why we take it so seriously; you'll know if we've been tipped off and it's a repeat offender if an anxious looking manager is up near the front gates and the CMs are more focused on the mechanisms and being vigilant about their gate more than making small talk.

It's very rare, but it takes a larger, very determined child capable of shoving a Counselor aside to Open one of the alarm doors in the space!

I can tell you I have cruised with a two year old and he was able to open the stateroom door and made a mad dash down the hall towards the stairs before parents got a hold of him. They should have locks high up on the inside of the doors I think.

My son was 3 on our last cruise. He managed to get the door to the stateroom open, get into the hallway and up the stairs into the atrium (we were on deck 2) by the time someone could catch up with him. So a strong (or strong willed) child can get the door open and make a break for it.

jkmommy said:
My son was 3 on our last cruise. He managed to get the door to the stateroom open, get into the hallway and up the stairs into the atrium (we were on deck 2) by the time someone could catch up with him. So a strong (or strong willed) child can get the door open and make a break for it.

This is my son. For real. And he's 20m.
Door alarm it is!

Is the hallway to the door narrow enough that a tension mounted baby gate could go in there? I know it would be a pain to pack but they're cheap and might be a way to keep him away from the door.

Is the hallway to the door narrow enough that a tension mounted baby gate could go in there? I know it would be a pain to pack but they're cheap and might be a way to keep him away from the door.

Y'know..it very well may be Julz. The lil hallway is small. Not stuffy small, but definitely not the size of a regular hallway. So that baby gate idea may just work!! Slzer could maybe even get close enough (but far enough away, if this makes sense) to the door, so that he can't reach the door, but still be able to get into the bathroom at night without having to climb.

I mean Out out. :worried: Like, off into the rest of the ship world! (Which is why we take it so seriously; you'll know if we've been tipped off and it's a repeat offender if an anxious looking manager is up near the front gates and the CMs are more focused on the mechanisms and being vigilant about their gate more than making small talk.

It's very rare, but it takes a larger, very determined child capable of shoving a Counselor aside to Open one of the alarm doors in the space!

That's, um, terrifying. I mean, HOW? While waiting for DH to get DS I've seen some older kids anxious to get out, but it seemed they would have had to vault the gates to get out. My cousin was one of the anxious ones (alas we had no permission to get him out).

Glad I've only seen the counselors who seem to have eyes all over their heads and have told the anxious kids to step away as soon as they get close.

The door might be too heavy for him to open all the way but it's not too heavy for him to open a bit and then smash his fingers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter