Mommy doesn't know that daddy has another baby in NICU

princesspumpkin

DIS Veteran
A patient had a baby. Proud daddy visited her and baby - but also has a baby with another woman in the intensive care nursery. Nurse who saw daddy on the regular maternity floor and the NICU said "Don't I know you from somewhere? (genuinely)" Daddy pulls nurse aside in the hall to beg her not to inform this woman about his other baby. OOOOHHHH! I'm not telling - but if I was his woman, I'd want to know!

Are you serious??? I'd tell the woman, or drop a note or something :confused3 What a good for nothing he is IMHO....

Wow!! Sounds like a Jerry Springer episode in the making! :teeth:
Or- a possible Maury paternity test show!! :rotfl:

chris1gill said:
Are you serious??? I'd tell the woman, or drop a note or something :confused3 What a good for nothing he is IMHO....

Do you really think that the 1st 48 hours post partum (typical time in the hospital) is the BEST time to discover your husband has another child? I know I was an emotional wreck on day 4 post partum with all three of my kids, and that was with a DH that was helpful, and with ME, I can't imagine if I discovered he was splitting his time between two families.

I feel bad for the OP, but if she is a nurse on a maternity ward, she probably knows it is best not to even try to tell the wife.

I would want to know! I don't know if in the hospital is the place for these women to find out. That's like asking for postpartum depression.

These poor women's lives are about to be turned upside down and they don't even know it... :(

As a nurse, it is not my job to interject myself into people's family dynamics. It is my job to care for the patients.

That being said, the man is a scum, and if anyone in his or her family knows about this, they should be the ones telling her.

Make no mistake about it. His wife will find out, if she doesn't already have an inkling. People have different reasons for staying with someone, and until we are living in their life, we have no idea why they do. I had a colleague many years back who had a special needs child and a cheating husband with great healthcare coverage and a good income. He was cheating, she knew it. She made the conscious decision to stay with him because she knew that she couldn't handle the child on her own, physically or financially, he made a good lving and had the good healthcare coverage. She also saved for her eventual departure from the marriage. But, she always used to tell me about all the well-meaning people who would come up and tell her that her husband was having affairs. She would say "I know" and then get the pitying look. She did not need pity. She had made a conscious decision for the well-being of her child to stay in the marriage until such time that the child was settled (which took about 7 or 8 years) and during that time, she did a lot of creative saving to prepare herself for her single life. Her husband treated her nicely in that he never yelled, wasn't abusive, didn't deny her or the children anything they needed. She actually said they got along great as roommates. She made it clear to him that they were married in name only, which was fine with him because he had the type of job where having a wife was...desirable for the "image".

Could I do the same thing?? I don't know. Do I admire her for sacrificing her personal happines, for a period of time, for the benefit of her children...especially the special needs child...yes I do.

This guy sounds like a real class act. My heart goes out to the women.

reminds me of my former work location. we had social services for both family cases (mostly mom's with kids-dad absent from the home) and general assistance cases (mostly those absent dads) housed in the same office-with a HUGE waiting room. a g.a. worker would use the overhead paging system to call a guy into and interview room ("john smith report to door 'a', john smith-door 'a'"), as the guy stood up there would be 2 little kids (always right around the same age) that would leap up from different parts of the room and run up yelling "daddy!!". more often than not, the mom's were not aware of the other kid's existance, and as a result we had some women try to beat "daddy" to a bloody pulp (in fact one of the reasons they moved g.a. to another building was to cut down on the number of violent incidents of this type).

Yikes.
A couple of thoughts...
*Is the dad married to any of the mothers?
*These are just the babies we know about...there could be more by other women.
*He is endangering all their lives by sleeping around. If everyone concerned was using protection(both barrier-types and medicinal), it certainly failed on some level. Who knows what he's "shared" between all the known participants...and there could possibly be more!
*If he carries any health insurance for both families/children, life could get very interesting at billing time...
*I feel sorry for the babies. Their lives are already way more complicated than they should be. I hope the NICU one pulls through without any lasting complications.

agnes!

When I first read the post I thought it was a joke and thought, "Where's the punch line? I don't get it!"

Too bad it is NOT a joke!

Did the guy (and the women for that matter) ever hear of a condom? :confused3

I think it's very unlikely that he's married to either of them, altough it is possible. Heck, he could be married to BOTH of them (not legally of course!)

Stuff like this happens more often that people would like to think :(

It's quite possible the dad is one of those guys who feels "manly" by reproducing, and tried to get as many women pregnant as possible. Hard to convince a guy like that about the benefits of a condom. (however, his desire to hide Baby B from Mama A might mean one of them was an accident - or it might mean he's scared Mama A could take him in a fight!).

However you slice it, they're all going to suffer sooner or later. Very sad.

Unfortunately I've seen this. And most likely, marriage is not involved in either case. Scum doesn't quite seem a big enough word for a man like that. But, the nurse could lose her job and license for letting it "slip". There are tough laws about confidentiality. Even at the detriment of the family.

... What a jerk he is. I'll bet he was sweating bullets when they both went into labor at around the same time. What if we can find a janitor or cafeteria person who could just casually mention how they seen her man in the NICU unit with another woman and baby... ;)

If the nurse says anything to anyone she is breaking the HIPPA laws and the fines are HUGE! Plus she may lose her license.

Yeah, we see men with different women having their babies all of the time. But this was the first time that the nurse was actually caught off guard. She felt a little guilty for questioning him in front of the patient, since she genuinely didn't remember where she knew him from. We've never had a dad beg us to keep his secret before. There is always drama on a maternity floor!

Even housekeeping and maintanence workers are obligated to obey HIPAA. The fine is $250,000! That's the individual PERSONALLY, not the hospital, (although it can be fined as well) and they are not covered by the hospital's insurance for this. If you open your mouth, you pay the price. I dare say no one is going to tell Mom A or Mom B anything about Dad's wild oats.

It would serve him right if they run into each other at some point, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter