Mommy boutique vs. BBB for littles

It is true that at that age she won't know what she is missing. That being said, my 5 year old ( she just turned 5 two weeks before our trip) loved BBB so much that she is begging to do it again next year. I think next time we will bring her costume and not purchase one there again to save on costs. I have a hard time justifying the cost of a full blown experience again. However, she is begging to get another dress and as much as I thought it would be a cost for a one time use costume, she does put it on and prance around the house at least a few times per month. Sigh...

Our first 2 trips we did DIY and my daughter didn't know what BBB was. This year one of her class mates brought in her makeup bag from BBB and of course my DD wanted to go. We looked at prices and pictures and she will be doing Pirates League this trip. She will still have some magic at a lower price and I will give her princess hair all the other days.

I'm going to DIY when we go in October. My daughter is a tender-head, no way am I paying all that money for her to scream while someone does her hair. I bought her a dress from a yard sale and made her a matching bow. She will never know the difference!

Z's Cinderella dress arrived yesterday! It's so sweet. I got it from Mom Approved Costumes. She's going to FLIP when she sees it. It's lightweight and not itchy, and oh-so-pretty. I just hope I can keep it a surprise till Christmas! Part of me wants to let her play with it now since EVERYTHING is about Cinderella right now. It's so tough to be a grown up sometimes!

DD(5) has never done BBB and probably won't until she asks about it. She hates having her hair brushed and those tight buns would make her freak. When she was 2 we did haircut at the barber shop and she wore a Cinderella dress from home. She still talks about it! This trip we will do Pirates League. I will only pack a princess dress if she wants one. Otherwise she and her baby sister will wearing matching shirts and their Frozen big sis/lil sis headbands on MK day.

We're planning Z's first trip for sometime next year! She'll be 4ish. She's all about princesses and fairies right now. The highlight of her life is meeting Cinderella and the other fairy tale characters at Story Land, an amusement park in NH. She plays "Cinderella" several times a day. (I'm usually the prince!) She loves to play dress up.

We want Z's first trip to be awesome, but I just can't justify paying $55+ for BBB for her, especially since she doesn't have a lot of hair to begin with. I was thinking of doing fancy hair and some makeup myself for her, and letting her dress as a princess for a day (or two). I'd rather direct that money toward a character meal where she can interact with princesses. (She also hasn't had her first haircut yet, so I'm hoping we can hold off till we're at WDW for a professional cut at the barber shop.)

Have any of you gone the DIY route rather than BBB for your girls?

I have done it EVERY trip. DD is now 4.5. I've done it since she was 2.5, basically since she's had enough hair. We have the money to spend at BBB, but to be honest, I'm not ready to commit to the appointment and time of it (I'd rather be doing other things) and I'd rather spend the money on other things.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with BBB, we'll totally do it at some point, but this is how we feel for now.

That being said, I do an amazing job!!! Everyone always stops us and asks if she's been to BBB. Very flattering!!

Do you have a Ricky's near you? If not you can totally order it online- I go there and purchase a glitter hair spray (or 2). Then, I have purchased a little mini tiara. In the morning before we go to the parks, I wet her hair, use adult gel, comb it through and pull her hair into a high ponytail, making sure to use a fine comb to make it super smooth. Then I spray the crap out of the top. I use a curling iron on the hair coming out of the pony and make 3 big curls. They I spread the crap out of those pieces as well. THEN I spray her whole head with the glitter spray. Then I put in the little tiara.
It's a process, sure- but I really enjoy getting my little doll ready for the day. It's our time to spend with each other in the bathroom and I enjoy it so much- so does she, especially when she sees how sparkly and beautiful she looks!!! Perfect princess!
*Helpful hint, I always bring a little comb and an extra can of glitter spray for touch ups. I don't get her hair as shellacked as BBB does! haha

I say do it yourself. I think Castle Couture and Sir Mickey's do free hair glitter if you want to get her hair dusted once in the park (granted this was years ago, so I don't know if this is till the case).

I agree to do it yourself! I think BBB is nice for an older girl who knows about it and is really into it. A 4 year old - no way. My DD would have hated it - she hated having her hair done! Never wore a princess dress at Disney anyway. I've seen some little girls with the hair done up tight, and wearing the dresses, and it's in the 90's out, and they look miserable. If you do it yourself, you can pick the day, make it personal, buy some cute stuff at home to bring, and play it by ear more. I'm glad I have a tomboy I guess!

We did the BBB for my 7 year old's b day however that is the only time we have done it. Depending on when you are going, you may be able to pick up a used dance costume online - many of them are pretty and sparkly. We did that and she had compliments on the dress (which was actually a ballet costume!) Mommy boutique I think!!

I think it goes both ways depending on the child's exposure to all things Disney and how they normally handle wants. I always see lots of kids done up at the Mommy Boutique and they always look great. I did see one little darling, maybe six or seven, having a nuclear meltdown at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom as her mother applied sunscreen and glitter gel. She screamed, "I want to go to the princess place! You're doing it wrong! Why can't we go to the princess place!" This was my husband's joke for the rest of the week. We'd be standing in a line and he'd say, "I want to go to the princess place! I want my princess glitter!" I think if the parent builds excitement about the outfit she is creating, it is likely to just be great without any screaming demands for Oompah Loompahs.

For anyone looking to do the DIY hairdo's, Party City has little crowns for $1 each. Glitter hairspray should be out in abundance with all the Halloween stuff out now.

Found this on Pinterest:
Did you not make a reservation or just plain not have the money for your little peincess to get her hair done. You can style the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo Boutique fairytale princess hair style, DIY! Make sure you use a lot of gel with hairspray and don't forget the fairydust! -#1 Make a tight ponytail on the top of the head. -#2 Take a small section from the pontail and wrap it around the base of the ponytail covering up the ponytail holder and use bobbypins to pin the end of the wrapped hair then add the crown. -#3 Take a clear tiny plastic elastic and place it around the hair about 4-5 inches down from the original ponytail. -#4 Continue to place clear elastics in the hair making each section smaller and smaller (picture how Jasmines hair is in the back, but you are doing it on the top of the head). -#5 Once all of the hair has been placed into elastics, start to roll the sections into each other starting at the tip of ponytail, carefully tucking each section into the next section. Take your time on this step. -#6 Once all of the sections have been tucked into the top section, pin it to the head and shape it as needed. Then you can add a little clip in back for some extra style and hold! Now your little girl will have the same hairstyle as the Fairytale style from Disney world. If you really want her to feel special get a sash like the have at the salon. You can just get a cute one from a place like Claire's or even order the Disney World sash from EBay. I was told by Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique that you can't but they sashes by them self without an appointment.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/17/b4/01/17b401145492bbf2c4eec01d9ff6b6ac.jpg

Both of my girls did their first haircut at harmony barber shop and it was awesome both times. They will do glitter in the hair as well. I've done BBB once and am going again on our next trip. It was very worth it IMO.

My first question to you is- will this be an only trip? If it is once in a lifetime and you don't think you'll be back, then I'd spring for BBB. If you think you will go again then I'd wait until she's older and more able to appreciate it and enjoy it more.

If you want to go the do-it-yourself route, and you want to make it more magical at the same time- have makeup, nail polish, and maybe even a new tiara delivered to your room as a gift from the princesses. I've done this with my own daughter and it works like a charm! Wrap the items in glittery paper, and have them "magically" appear in your room in the morning when she wakes up. The little trail of gold glitter from the gift to the window proves that it was delivered by the fairies. A fancy font on some pretty paper for the note from the princesses letting your dd know who the gift is from and you are in business and still will come out way cheaper than the BBB route.

I love this idea!!! We always bring our own princess dresses, but it would be way more fun if they were delivered by fairies!

My daughter had just turned 4, and she LOVED BBB. My daughter has very thin hair - they really only have 3-4 styles they do, and all of them will likely be just fine with whatever hair your daughter has. However, if it is an either BBB or character meal, I would do character meal. We are going to Disney again this year, and she is already talking about Cinderella's Castle again.

We did 'Mommy Boutique'. I've wanted to BBB, but A) I have two girls so twice as expensive, and B) I don't live the way they do hair. It's pulled back so tight which just isn't our style! Looks painful to me. Then you'd be afraid to go swimming and ruin in it. I would love for them to have the overall experience, but just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Check with ur hotel. See if they offer similar service. I know shades of green does :) it's called princess package. They sell dresses in gift shop too

The princess gift shop just outside the castle. Right before Donald's show will put glitter in hair for free! Took 2 days to wash out

My daughter was 3 when she did BBB last year. I think it is for sure worth the $. They really make them feel like a princess and it is so cute in the castle location. We just did the smallest package for like $50 and brought a dress from home.
That being said if its out of your budget or more than you feel comfortable spending than you will do a good job and she wont know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter