Mom & Son-One More Time w/Dad! 11 days of DxDDP-10/21, Grand Finale, FF Chef's Table!

Your lunch at the Plaza looks really good...even without getting any ice cream for dessert! :thumbsup2 I haven't been there in 6 or 7 years, but it just might be time to give it another try.

Glad to hear that Andrew enjoyed Space Mountain. I have never enjoyed that ride, mostly due to a bad first experience. During the take-off my glasses started to fall off and my walkie-talkie (this was pre-cell phone days ;) ) popped off my pack which is worn around my waist (for Joh ;) ) and fell onto the floor. I spent the whole ride with one foot on the radio, one hand on my glasses, and the other desperately clinging on for dear life. :lmao: However, I still ride SM at least once on every single trip because my kids all love it, especially my son...who would ride SM continuously for hours if I'd let him. :crazy2:

Ugh, that sounds awful! I rode the one in DL back in 1986 right out of college and was terrified. I do not like the sensation of being scared even though my mind should know that I am safe. Now at 48, I have decided that I just don't like rides and I don't have to try to do them anymore! I am glad that Andrew is getting a bit more adventurous though!

Thanks for reviewing the Plaza! I am heading over there in a week. I will definitely order the tomato soup. Have you tried the chicken strawberry salad before? I am curious about that one,

No, I tend to stick with sandwiches there. I am sure that it is good though!

One of those cheese danish will be mine!!

Thanks for the Plaza review! We are going there on our MNSSHP night!

Your hubby may have been trying to be healthy but a tuna salad (with mayo) on a croissant with potato chips does not qualify! :rotfl2: Your sandwich was far healthier I am sure! However, who really cares about healthy at Disney!?!?

I'm glad your son enjoyed Space. I am not sure we will go on it or not... Hubby is a larger guy and I've heard that may be the only ride he might have issues with :guilty: It was closed in '09 so we didn't even have to attempt it then.

Oh, I know that tuna is far from healthy. But he felt he was being healthier because of the lack of grease!

We love the Plaza, although DH usually sticks with the burger and I the chicken sandwich so it is nice to see some different items.

I am not a fan of their ice-cream so normally skip dessert there now that they have removed my beloved apple pie (the apple dessert they have now - apple charlotte, I believe, is not a patch on that).

And I am also glad that Andrew rode Space Mountain. I have my own Space Mountain story which I will post about in a few days but, needless to say, Daniel rode Space Mountain for the first time this trip and loved it too.

Barb, you just crack me up. Even though you don't use the word, it still makes me laugh. Oh, and I love the alternative - 'pack worn around the waist' just trips off the tongue, doesn't it :rotfl:

Glad Daniel loved it as well. You know I haven't even gotten over to your review! I am sure I have a ton of catching up to do!

I love it when you say Andrew was chicken with rides. It gives me hope that someday Devin will go on!

Andrew tried Test Track and BTMRR at 12. Loved them both but wasn't ready to try anything more adventurous until this year. Give Devin some time! :upsidedow

I rode the one in DL back in 1986 right out of college and was terrified. I do not like the sensation of being scared even though my mind should know that I am safe. Now at 48, I have decided that I just don't like rides and I don't have to try to do them anymore!

The 1st time I went on SM was in DL and I loved it which was a huge surprise because I do not like rides, especially roller coasters. So I assumed I would love the SM in WDW, NO! They are two different rides. The one in WDW is so much faster and rougher. After trying to deal with it I finally said the same as you. I'm too old to do things I really dislike. My family goes on and I get alone time wandering around until they're done. Much better plan.

I love your DH's attempt at being "healthy". He may have been off track with granola, loaded potato soup and tuna salad, but it's great that he's taking his choices into consideration, especially while on vacation. Those soups looked so good!

All of the treats from MSB look delicious! But I do think that the yogurt/granola looks the least appealing. :lmao:

Last trip, The Yachtsman was our favorite meal. When the small refurb was announced we were afraid that it would be closed during our trip but lucky for us the refurb started a day or two after our first night.

This was one of the longer waits after we checked in, but it still wasn't bad. Maybe 15-20 minutes.

Here are the entrees (the appetizer picture came out blurry)

WDWSummer2012002.jpg

I loved the sides listed with the hanger steak (truffle frittes and garden greens) but I really wanted a filet. Waittress told us it would be no problem to subsitute the sides. :thumbsup2

So first up, the wonderful pull apart onion rolls and roasted garlic ...

WDWSummer2012004.jpg

These were as wonderful as everyone here always says they are! The garlic was sweet, the rolls warm. I could have eaten the whole basket.

Even after I warned him about the "pot of goo", DS wanted to try the cheeseplate.

WDWSummer2012005.jpg

I have to say, I am glad that he did. We all loved the pot of goo spread on the "bagette" that was served with it. :thumbsup2 All in all, a nice cheese plate.

DH got the charcuterie platter. I apologize but do not remember all that was on the plate. Everything was very tasty except the blob with the leave on top. That tasted like babyfood meats to me ....

WDWSummer2012007.jpg

I had the beef potstickers

WDWSummer2012006.jpg

These were wonderful! You could tell the ''dough" was homemade. It had a nice bite to it. The veggies on the plate went very well. I really enjoyed my appetizer.

Not so much my entree ...

WDWSummer2012008.jpg

Here is the filet (butterflied as I requested it medium) with the set up for the hanger steak. The steak was cooked perfectly for me and was very tender. But it was sooooo salty. I have read many reviews where people thought Disney food was over salted but never found that before. I do like salt but this was really overkill. I think because the steak was so salty, I didn't even enjoy the saltiness of the fries. And the green sauce/dressing didn't have much taste. Definitely a disappointing meal for me.

DS got the same porterhouse that he proclaimed the best steak of his life last year ...

WDWSummer2012009.jpg

This did not disappoint. Tender, tasty and well, but not overly seasoned.

DH had the ribeye ...

WDWSummer2012012.jpg

I thought the presentation of this was a bit weird. DH doesn't like marrow and the "brioche" was just kind of a dry roll. But DS and I had plenty of fries to share so it was all good. DH loved his steak.

We were again too full for dessert. We were brought complimentary madelines with the check ...

WDWSummer2012013.jpg

These were buttery and delicious!

DH and I had the recommended wines with our entrees and DS and I shared the mac & cheese as a side (pic was too blurry). Total covered by the dining plan was $238.53. Total OOP was $35.14.

Even though I was disappinted in my filet, I do still really like the Yachtsman. Everything else we had was very good so all in all we enjoyed our meal.

Almost forgot, we had left the MK about 3:30 figuring our room at Coronado would be ready but no such luck when we got there. I admit I was a bit upset. I had been living out of suitcases for over a week and was very ready to get unpacked. DH's attempt to cheer me was this ...

Cooperstown151-1.jpg

A strawberry margarita! Very tasty!

As a side note, I have to say that I wanted to love Coronado. And it is a beautiful resort. But I did not love it. We paid for a water view room and I requested Casitas. We were put in Cabanas 9A and our view if we looked straight out the window was actually a wall. If we looked to the left, it was the private pool with the lake beyond it. I know Disney will call a birdbath a water view but I feel that with a resort like Coronado, if you pay for a water view, you should have a view of that lake. That said, the busses were great. We were near stop 4 and only waited more than a few minutes once or twice for a bus. And the bus stops at the Parks were always the closest ones, my guess is because it is the Convention hotel? So would I stay there again? Probably. Put I would book preferred, not water view.

I'm glad you liked the Cheese goo! LOL!

The plating for the ribeye is very weird! I'm sorry your steak was so salty. Did you request it to be butterflied or they did it because you ordered it Medium? A Good Steak Chef should be able to cook any steak to any temperature without butterflying it... (Master Chef and Hells Kitchen challenges lol!)

I will have to check the menu out again before we go next month. I may just switch it out for something simple like Kona, Wave or Grand Floridian Cafe.

I'm glad you liked the Cheese goo! LOL!

The plating for the ribeye is very weird! I'm sorry your steak was so salty. Did you request it to be butterflied or they did it because you ordered it Medium? A Good Steak Chef should be able to cook any steak to any temperature without butterflying it... (Master Chef and Hells Kitchen challenges lol!)

I will have to check the menu out again before we go next month. I may just switch it out for something simple like Kona, Wave or Grand Floridian Cafe.

I was asked if I wanted it butterflied or not and said that it didn't matter to me either way. Maybe the chef took the easy way out.

Even after I warned him about the "pot of goo", DS wanted to try the cheeseplate.

WDWSummer2012005.jpg

I have to say, I am glad that he did. We all loved the pot of goo spread on the "bagette" that was served with it. :thumbsup2 All in all, a nice cheese plate.

Ahh...the goo! :lmao: I think having the baguette to spread it on would have improved it greatly. Unfortunately all we got was that cracker thing that was underneath the baguette on your cheese plate. The "goo" was just way too greasy to eat on that cracker. :crazy2:

Not so much my entree ...

WDWSummer2012008.jpg

Here is the filet (butterflied as I requested it medium) with the set up for the hanger steak. The steak was cooked perfectly for me and was very tender. But it was sooooo salty. I have read many reviews where people thought Disney food was over salted but never found that before. I do like salt but this was really overkill. I think because the steak was so salty, I didn't even enjoy the saltiness of the fries. And the green sauce/dressing didn't have much taste. Definitely a disappointing meal for me.

Oh no, that's such a shame about your filet. :worried:

Even though I was disappinted in my filet, I do still really like the Yachtsman. Everything else we had was very good so all in all we enjoyed our meal.

Glad to hear that the rest of you meal was very good. Hopefully your salty filet was just a fluke (kind of like my fatty short rib at Jiko) and next time your steak will be very good too. :thumbsup2

Interesting Yachtman review! My mom also enjoyed the cheese goo when she had it in March (I don't think I tried it, because it was goat cheese :laughing:). As for the steaks, sorry that your filet was so salty - I've never had that issue with any dish there. :(

You know what sounds absolutely delicious on that menu though? The summer salad with watermelon, house ricotta, and pistachio. And those madeleines are wonderful. :goodvibes

Barb, you just crack me up. Even though you don't use the word, it still makes me laugh. Oh, and I love the alternative - 'pack worn around the waist' just trips off the tongue, doesn't it :rotfl:

You guys are so funny! I remember Barb looking up the term that you Brits use and it had me laughing hysterically!!!!

Vicki: I have to say that the herb croutons on the tomato soup give it a nice touch but that potato soup has my vote! Your veggie sandwich is the second one that I have seen lately! And it looks DELICIOUS! I love, love, love the fries at Disney.

Oh, and glad that you are feeling better. :goodvibes

Ahh...the goo! :lmao: I think having the baguette to spread it on would have improved it greatly. Unfortunately all we got was that cracker thing that was underneath the baguette on your cheese plate. The "goo" was just way too greasy to eat on that cracker. :crazy2:

Oh no, that's such a shame about your filet. :worried:

Glad to hear that the rest of you meal was very good. Hopefully your salty filet was just a fluke (kind of like my fatty short rib at Jiko) and next time your steak will be very good too. :thumbsup2

Yes, I can see that the bagette was needed for the goo!

Interesting Yachtman review! My mom also enjoyed the cheese goo when she had it in March (I don't think I tried it, because it was goat cheese :laughing:). As for the steaks, sorry that your filet was so salty - I've never had that issue with any dish there. :(

You know what sounds absolutely delicious on that menu though? The summer salad with watermelon, house ricotta, and pistachio. And those madeleines are wonderful. :goodvibes

We never experienced the "too salty" before this trip either. Unfortunately it will make one more appearance!

I debated that salad but I am a sucker for potstickers so I had to pass on it.

You guys are so funny! I remember Barb looking up the term that you Brits use and it had me laughing hysterically!!!!

Vicki: I have to say that the herb croutons on the tomato soup give it a nice touch but that potato soup has my vote! Your veggie sandwich is the second one that I have seen lately! And it looks DELICIOUS! I love, love, love the fries at Disney.

Oh, and glad that you are feeling better. :goodvibes

It is a very tasty sandwich! Feeling "better" may be a strong word. I was sent home from work yesterday, walk-in, laid down & slept almost 5 hours! Felt a bit better so I caught up on some stuff (like these reviews) but then crashed again, took Nyquil and slept great. Right now I feel, "ok" ... hoping I can get thru the day at work & glad it is a Friday!

:wave2: Hey goofy'ssonsmom! I'm all caught up again! I keep on falling behind. Mmm those Plaza sandwiches look awesome for healthy choices. Honestly, I feel those healthier meals keep me going strong @ WDW & ur veggie sandwich looks delish!!!

Ughh..too bad about the salty fillet.:sad2: That's so expensive of a meal to not LOVE it. I have only read good reviews about YSH. So I suggested it to my brother & his wife, I hope they love it!! And also they are staying @ CSR, which I also suggested, lol! :lmao: They got a reg.view,so there so no room to be disappointed in the view. But I can understand if you pay extra, you should get the view.

Your Plaza meal looks delish! No matter what, I am definitely trying that out for the first time on my next trip (whenever that may be). I'm a sucker for a good soup and sandwich combo, so that place looks like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the great pics! :thumbsup2

Those madeleines at YS look amazing! Those are one of my favorite treats in the whole world. I'm kinda bitter about not getting any when I went to YS in May. No fair! :lmao:

Your strawberry margarita looks so refreshing! Definitely a mood lifter. :thumbsup2 That's a shame about your view from your room though. If you pay extra for a view you should get what you paid for.

I agree...the Plaza meal looks so good. I've never eaten there and it hasn't even been on my radar, but I think it's going on my futures list now. The loaded soup looks really good and so does the tomato and I'm not really a soup eater, but I might have to try one of those if they are still available if/when we go in 2013.

And that veggie sandwich...YUM!!!

Feeling "better" may be a strong word. I was sent home from work yesterday, walk-in, laid down & slept almost 5 hours! Felt a bit better so I caught up on some stuff (like these reviews) but then crashed again, took Nyquil and slept great. Right now I feel, "ok" ... hoping I can get thru the day at work & glad it is a Friday!

Sorry to hear you are still feeling "under the weather", Vicki. :worried: Hopefully you got through today at work okay and now can spend the weekend resting up and recovering. Take care! :goodvibes

Love the Plaza too. Their fries are the best!

Didn't know you could get baked potato soup there. Looks yummy.

So sorry your steak was too salty at the Yachtsman. It is hard to eat something that is too salty.

Loved your Yachtsman review, I think I am going to go for the Porterhouse this time. I loved my NY strip there and I am a fan of the filet....the best of both worlds would be nice!

So glad you can subbed out the sides...I prefer veggies with my steak, hopefully they can accommodate me. Seem to recall you can switch sauces around too

It's too bad that Disney won't give our the recipe for the tomato soup! I took a chance and asked for the recipe for Olivia's potatoes and I got it already!

I've never been to Yachtsman but Eilee and I are steak people so we would love to try it. So sad to hear that your filet was too salty because filets aren't cheap! I also hear a lot of people say that certain items at Disney are too salty but I like salt so I haven't had a problem. So if you also enjoy salt and something was too salty for you then I would probably think the same. But glad to hear that the other steaks were great (and the pot of goo!). I'm afraid that I'd fill up on the onion rolls - they sound heavenly!

Love the Plaza too. Their fries are the best!

Didn't know you could get baked potato soup there. Looks yummy.

So sorry your steak was too salty at the Yachtsman. It is hard to eat something that is too salty.

The potato soup was a soup of the day so I don't know that you can get it all the time. Yeah, I like salt but my steak was really hard to eat.

Loved your Yachtsman review, I think I am going to go for the Porterhouse this time. I loved my NY strip there and I am a fan of the filet....the best of both worlds would be nice!

So glad you can subbed out the sides...I prefer veggies with my steak, hopefully they can accommodate me. Seem to recall you can switch sauces around too

Yeah, DS loves that porterhouse. We grill them home because they like the strip side and I am a filet girl! :thumbsup2 And yes, no problem subbing just about anything we were told!

It's too bad that Disney won't give our the recipe for the tomato soup! I took a chance and asked for the recipe for Olivia's potatoes and I got it already!

I've never been to Yachtsman but Eilee and I are steak people so we would love to try it. So sad to hear that your filet was too salty because filets aren't cheap! I also hear a lot of people say that certain items at Disney are too salty but I like salt so I haven't had a problem. So if you also enjoy salt and something was too salty for you then I would probably think the same. But glad to hear that the other steaks were great (and the pot of goo!). I'm afraid that I'd fill up on the onion rolls - they sound heavenly!

I am thinking the soup is some doctored up pre-made product and they don't want people to know it! :laughing: Disney is usally pretty good with giving our the recipes so I am not sure why the secrecy with this one.

This was the first time I found something to salty at Disney. Neither DS or DH would try it to see if they agreed. I did try a bit of DS's porterhouse and it was delicious so I think it was just mine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter