• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mom & Son Going Back with Dad + 1 - 10/3 - Rose & Crown and now Complete!

So many awesome updates!

While I wasn't thrilled with my Flying Fish experience last year, I must say your meal looks amazing! I may need to reconsidered giving them another try when they reopen.

Your fireworks cruise looks like so much fun! I want to do something different for our next trip, so I'm thinking about giving that a try one night.

All of your Epcot meals look delicious. I haven't been to Le Cellier in 6 years, but I may need to return very soon.

I always enjoy the Flying Fish but your meal at the chef's table looked amazing!

Flying Fish has taken over as my favorite signature since the Cali refurb. I hope it only gets better after their refurb.

FF looks amazing! We are dininf there next week for the first time :)

I hope your meal is wonderful!

Still following along, more great reviews!!!

Thank you!!

So many awesome updates!

While I wasn't thrilled with my Flying Fish experience last year, I must say your meal looks amazing! I may need to reconsidered giving them another try when they reopen.

Your fireworks cruise looks like so much fun! I want to do something different for our next trip, so I'm thinking about giving that a try one night.

All of your Epcot meals look delicious. I haven't been to Le Cellier in 6 years, but I may need to return very soon.

I can't wait to try FF when it reopens. Hoping it is even better!

I love the Illuminations Cruise. There is no better way IMHO to watch those fireworks!

I wasn't sure about Le Cellier but it was a repeated DS request so I gave in. I was very glad I did! It's not an every trip mostly due to the cost but I look forward to going back.

Flying Fish is incredible! It was my birthday dinner & our first signature meal at Disney. Me and my mom LOVED it - probably the 2nd best meal of our trip! We all got the sea bass (chef's special that night) and raved about it. I'd love to try the Chef's Tasting Table but wow, I need to start saving more for that one :rotfl:

I'm a bit late but La Hacienda looks amazing! We are trying San Angel Inn this trip, but maybe we should try La Hacienda next time..

Perfection seems like an understatement for your meal. Everything looks absolutely amazing and additional wine pairings (and tastings to boot), what a great experience for you and your husband both. Totally kicking myself for missing Flying Fish this time around and forgetting with the reburb it will be 2017 before its even possible again. Will have to just keep reading your review over and over to compensate ; )

Your Chef's Table dinner at Flying Fish looks and sounds fantastic. :goodvibes I haven't yet made a Flying Fish ADR for my next trip. I need to get on that! ;)

Oh my gosh! That chef's table FF dinner looks amazing. I thought you were going to say that you didn't recall the dessert wine because... well, after having so many glasses! :p I love how they perfectly pair everything. I need to do that to expand my wine horizons. I'd even try a chocolate wine! They served you their special top shelf butter! (Barb can attest to the the story behind our FF bread incident from last year!)

Andrew and Julia's AP dinner sounds wonderful as well. That soup is a must do, oh so good.

I thought I was the only one that always froze inside Yak & Yeti. I thought it was the pina coladas, maybe not....:rotfl:

Flying Fish is incredible! It was my birthday dinner & our first signature meal at Disney. Me and my mom LOVED it - probably the 2nd best meal of our trip! We all got the sea bass (chef's special that night) and raved about it. I'd love to try the Chef's Tasting Table but wow, I need to start saving more for that one :rotfl:

Yes, it was a splurge but worth every penny!

I'm a bit late but La Hacienda looks amazing! We are trying San Angel Inn this trip, but maybe we should try La Hacienda next time..

We had planned on San Angel and then switched back to Hacienda. Love the view of Illuminations!

Perfection seems like an understatement for your meal. Everything looks absolutely amazing and additional wine pairings (and tastings to boot), what a great experience for you and your husband both. Totally kicking myself for missing Flying Fish this time around and forgetting with the reburb it will be 2017 before its even possible again. Will have to just keep reading your review over and over to compensate ; )

Yeah, I hope the refurb doesn't change the restaurant too much. I am definitely looking forward to giving it a try when it reopens.

Your Chef's Table dinner at Flying Fish looks and sounds fantastic. :goodvibes I haven't yet made a Flying Fish ADR for my next trip. I need to get on that! ;)

Definitely recommend you get on that!

Oh my gosh! That chef's table FF dinner looks amazing. I thought you were going to say that you didn't recall the dessert wine because... well, after having so many glasses! :p I love how they perfectly pair everything. I need to do that to expand my wine horizons. I'd even try a chocolate wine! They served you their special top shelf butter! (Barb can attest to the the story behind our FF bread incident from last year!)

Andrew and Julia's AP dinner sounds wonderful as well. That soup is a must do, oh so good.

I thought I was the only one that always froze inside Yak & Yeti. I thought it was the pina coladas, maybe not....:rotfl:

Yes, it is arctic in there. Not sure why it is so much colder there than some of the other restaurants!

Yes, I remember the bread & butter fiasco for you all! Maybe that I why I didn't want to eat that much of it! LOL

Unfortunately on Friday I woke up feeling "blech" with the sick that I ended up bringing home with me. We had originally planned on the morning in the MK, then Julia and I were going to the Afternoon Tea and Andrew and Jay were going to the ESPN Zone. We decided the day before to cancel those plans to try to see the parade a second time without all the rain!

First up a stop at Sleepy Hollow for what may possibly be the perfect breakfast ...

The nutella & fruit waffle ....

plus one with strawberries ...

We all shared ... there is nothing I can say about these waffles. Perfect, just perfect.

After a few rides the sky opened and once again it started to pour! It was close enough to lunch time so we headed to Columbia Harbor House

Fish and fries for Jay, Tuna sandwich for me & chicken and fries with a clam chowder for Andrew. Julia wasn't super hungry and just had the clam chowder.

This meal was a disappointment for us. This is one QS place we usually enjoy but it was just 'meh' this time. The chowder was thin and watery, the fish and chicken a bit greasy and the tuna wasn't nice white tuna and fishier than I like my tuna. All in all a bit of a fail.

A&J decided to bail on the parade and head back to DTD. Jay and I found a spot to watch the parade but I ended up feeling worse and worse. With dinner at Cali coming up, I decided I really needed to give in and head back to the room for a much needed nap.

So dinner was at what has been my favorite WDW restaurant ... California Grill!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33972%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A7835%3A7335nu0mrj

One of my "kids"

Now I have to say that I really should have let the three of them go to dinner and I should have stayed at the room. So feeling a bit under the weather may be the reason that this meal wasn't as top notch as my previous visits here.

First, the menu ...

The bread basket ...

I preferred the old bread at Cali and didn't have any of this. Not a fan of the lavender bread at all.

We decided to share a bunch of appetizers ...

The charcuterie ...

We all enjoyed this. It was probably my favorite part of dinner. I was nervous about the pate but once I convinced myself to try it, I really enjoyed it.

Also, the cheese plate ...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C9%3C6%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A7874%3C5335nu0mrj

Also really good. We all but licked the platter. Loved the Smokey Blue the most but everything was good.

We had to have sushi - the Dragon Roll.

This was good but not as good as DS and I remembered. But we still enjoyed it.

We also wanted to try one of the new dishes since the refurb, the Signature meatballs ...

These were just Ok. I wouldn't order them again. I don't know if we ate them all or not.

In my opinion, we should have quit here because none of us were super hungry but we all ordered entrees anyway.

First though, some outside pics ...

This is a huge reason why we go to Cali! Beautiful!

So my entrée pics are crazy blurry ... no idea why ...

DS had the pork two ways ...

He loved the old pork and polenta dish but wasn't super thrilled with this version. He barely ate it.

DH had the halibut

I think he enjoyed this. I know that I didn't try any. Wasn't up for halibut.

Julia had the gnocchi...

I did try a bite and this was Ok. She really enjoyed it and I think was the only one to clean her plate. DS and I did help.

I didn't want anything heavy and decided on the scallops ...

I only ate one scallop - gave one to Julia and one to DH. I really should have just gotten a salad. I don't know that there was anything wrong with this dish, I just wasn't in to eating it.

We shared two desserts ... the fritters

232323232_fp93232>uqcshlukaxroqdfv35::7>nu=32<8>344>258>WSNRCG=373:787536335nu0mrj

and the crème brulee

Desserts were Ok. I was tired and just ready to go back to the hotel.

We did, of course, watch the fireworks .... even with the disappointing meal this makes it worth it ...

So was the meal 'off' or what I just not feeling well? DS was disappointed with his entrée and didn't enjoy the sushi as much as previous trips. Julia loved everything but this was her first trip and the restaurant is pretty magical. And DH rarely admits to not liking something. So I have to go with DS and say that it was an off meal for us. For the first time in many trips, we will not be going back to Cali in March. But we will return in the future for sure.

Last edited:
Totally drooling over the sleep hollow waffles. One of my favorite foods in the park.

Sorry your CHH meal was a bust. If you haven't tried it, I love the lighthouse sandwich. It's hummus and broccoli slaw which totally doesn't sound all the appealing, but its really good and has replaced the fish for me.

Sounds like California Grill definitely had an off night, though we've had that charcuterie platter and I don't think it could ever disappoint. We had a similar experience with Flying Fish, which was our favorite place and then had an off meal. I agree its good to take a time or two off and then hopefully they can redeem themselves.

After a few rides the sky opened and once again it started to pour! It was close enough to lunch time so we headed to Columbia Harbor House

Those are some seriously good looking waffles. That is a shame about the CG. We have been hesitant to try it with the new reno as I have heard mixed reviews. You cannot beat that view though.

Saturday we planned my favorite Disney day - Snack around the World day!

We started off in Mexico by sharing the nachos - tortilla chips with ground beef, nacho cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, black beans, and sour cream

And playing with big hats!

Nachos were good as always. Solid snack.

On to Norway for a roast beef sandwich (Mostly for DS who didn't really have any of the nachos), lefse, a troll horn and a berry cream puff

These were all good. I really enjoyed the Troll horn.

On to China for some potstickers

Eggrolls

And caramel ginger ice cream

I did not have any of the potstickers or eggrolls but really enjoyed the ice cream. I wasn't sure I would like it but it was a nice treat.

Germany was next for some bratwurst for the guys and Nudel Gratin - Baked Macaroni with Cheese Custard for Julia and I ...

Andrew and I had loved the Nudel Gratin at F&W a few years back but this was not good. Mushy and flavorless. Disappointing

Jay also had an adult beverage : )

In Italy, Andrew had one of his favorite WDW snacks - Espresso Gelato "Affogato" (drowned) - Italian Espresso poured over Fior Di Latte Gelato, Topped with Chocolate Coffee Beans

It was hot, hot so the rest of us took a food break for one country!

In Morocco we shared the Falafel Wrap - includes Tangierine couscous salad and lentil salad

As you can see, Andrew stole my cooling towel. It was a really warm day.

In France we had a Roule Lard & Fromage - bacon and cheese roll

And a Brioche Chocolat - chocolate chip brioche

Plus some macaroons for Julia to bring home

At this point I am pretty sure Jay and I headed back to the room to deposit our many shopping bags while A&J did Test Track and Mission Space (a first for A this trip!)

We met up in the MK to watch Wishes from behind the Castle ... my very favorite spot! We tried three of the mac & cheeses from Friar's Nook.
Pot Roast Macaroni and Cheese, Bacon Cheeseburger Macaroni & Cheese and Macaroni and Cheese - topped with toasted panko bread crumbs

These were on my bucket list to try and I really wish I hadn't. I liked the pot roast on top but nothing else about any of these. Mushy, tasteless macaroni. Just blech.

After the fireworks were went to Sleepy Hollow for a first for us .... the ice cream cookie sandwich!

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33%3B92%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D37429%3B5299335nu0mrj

How have we never had these! These were the perfect treat to top off our day!

Before I finish up our last day, I want to post a couple of photopass pics that I really loved ...

First from Typhoon Lagoon

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3B4%3C3%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A%3C8%3C7%3B3335nu0mrj

Two from the Japan area of EPCOT ...

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3C%3A39%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A%3C8%3C2%3B5335nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34963%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A%3C8%3C2%3B8335nu0mrj

And one of all of us

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv39%3B58%3Enu%3D32%3C8%3E344%3E258%3EWSNRCG%3D373%3A%3C8%3C%3B69335nu0mrj

Totally drooling over the sleep hollow waffles. One of my favorite foods in the park.

Sorry your CHH meal was a bust. If you haven't tried it, I love the lighthouse sandwich. It's hummus and broccoli slaw which totally doesn't sound all the appealing, but its really good and has replaced the fish for me.

Sounds like California Grill definitely had an off night, though we've had that charcuterie platter and I don't think it could ever disappoint. We had a similar experience with Flying Fish, which was our favorite place and then had an off meal. I agree its good to take a time or two off and then hopefully they can redeem themselves.

I have had and really enjoyed the Lighthouse sandwich. And the charcuterie plate at Cali was very, very good as was the cheese plate. It was the entrees that disappointed for us. I guess all restaurants are going to have ups and downs. We had a bad experience our first time at FF and now it is my favorite. I know we will go back to Cali - just probably not next trip.

Those are some seriously good looking waffles. That is a shame about the CG. We have been hesitant to try it with the new reno as I have heard mixed reviews. You cannot beat that view though.

Yeah, I preferred it before the reno. So hoping the same thing doesn't happen with FF!

One more month (ish) until our trip and you have me drooling with your world showcase goodies!!

The falafel wrap looks so good, I have never had QS in Morocco before but I do love falafel.

In France we had a Roule Lard & Fromage - bacon and cheese roll

I've seen this a few times now and I've always been wanting to try it - except last trip I didn't see it and I was bummed (maybe they were out).

That brioche looks so good too, I might have to give that a try sometime.

These were on my bucket list to try and I really wish I hadn't. I liked the pot roast on top but nothing else about any of these. Mushy, tasteless macaroni. Just blech.

Awww man!! I have been thinking of the pot roast one. It is such a great idea, you think they would execute it better.

All caught up now! I am sorry you started to not feel well. It does sound like the appetizers at CG are the way to go, FF Chefs Table looked amazing and I am intrigued by the chocolate wine. I love snacking around World Showcase and you made some great choices! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter