Mom said I had to go! The "Melting in May with Mom" Report! Updated 11/9 - EPCOT!!

Wow! What a fabulous day! You sure had a lot of good luck, first with the bus waiting for you at the Park, and then that awesome room!

What room number in Tahiti was that BTW? I assume that was a theme view room, not a garden view room, right?

Sounds like heaven enjoying that wine, watching Wishes and then the Water Pageant.:cloud9:

What a great trip to share with your Mom!:goodvibes

It was a lagoon view room, not theme park view. I guess since it was partially obstructed, it was not considered true theme park view. Worked for us!! It was room 2019! Our first room (the Handicapped Acc. room) was 1016 and our "bad" view room was 2030.

I feel very fortunate to have shared that trip with Mom! She's the best! :goodvibes

Sara

What a great ending to your first day at Disney and Poly. Glad you were able to see Charlene even though it was a short visit. Your writing is making me miss Poly :guilty:. If any really good deals come my way for 2011 I think well be going back to Disney in the spring. Sorry you didn't love the flatbread. I love EWP too! :cloud9: We stayed after our dinner at 'Ohana to see EWP, that is why we have pics on the beach there. :goodvibes Looking forward to more.

Yay! You got a non HA room with a good view!!!! Sounds like a great first day to your work related trip. Hope every other day is as good or even better then this.!

What a great ending to your first day at Disney and Poly. Glad you were able to see Charlene even though it was a short visit. Your writing is making me miss Poly :guilty:. If any really good deals come my way for 2011 I think well be going back to Disney in the spring. Sorry you didn't love the flatbread. I love EWP too! :cloud9: We stayed after our dinner at 'Ohana to see EWP, that is why we have pics on the beach there. :goodvibes Looking forward to more.

Thanks Nichole! I hope you are able to go in the spring. I'm hoping we can swing something then too. The kids usually have break at Easter, but since Easter is so late this coming up year (end of April) they moved their break to the first week of April. I know it would be busy, but we wouldn't have to miss school. Of course, I don't mind too much about them missing at this age. :rolleyes1 We'll see! Fingers crossed! :goodvibes

Yay! You got a non HA room with a good view!!!! Sounds like a great first day to your work related trip. Hope every other day is as good or even better then this.!

Yes, we were very pleased with the 3rd room! :laughing: Third time's the charm, right?

Sara

Sorry about getting here late since I'm still in the middle of my trip report and trying to keep up with your earlier one. :thumbsup2

We headed outside to eat our food and enjoy the lovely Poly night-time atmosphere! :love: I liked the Hawaiian flatbread but I have to say it wasn't AS good as I was hoping. I preferred the Adult Grilled Cheese to it. I still ate every last bite though! :laughing: We got such a kick out of this set of sisters that looked to be around 3 and 5 and they were loving the baby ducks that were walking around the area. A whole group of these babies were at the Poly all week - we must have seen them 10 times during our stay - SO cute, and these little girls were in LOVE with them.

I had the Adult Grilled Cheese on our trip and it was wonderful. I hope the flatbread wasn't too disapointing. :guilty: Those ducks had become teenagers by the time we arrived in June and were all over the beaches and pools acting like teenagers. :laughing:

Lights out and disney dreams!! :cloud9:

Sara

Sounds like you had a great start to your trip and an amazing view to boot! It's tough to get good fireworks pictures from a distance. With all of the light sources and having to keep the camera rock steady it can be a real pain.

Sorry about getting here late since I'm still in the middle of my trip report and trying to keep up with your earlier one. :thumbsup2

No problem at all! I'm reading yours but haven't made it to the most current update to post about it! It's really great though!! :goodvibes

The adult grilled cheese is delicious! It's not that the flatbread was bad, it was just not as good!

The ducks were not shy, that's for sure!!:lmao:

Sara

Day 2 - May 16, 2010
Classes....then Epcot!!

We got up WAY early this morning and no, it wasn't for a lovely pre-park opening breakfast, unfortunately. :sad2: We had our first group of classes scheduled this morning, so we were on our way to the Gaylord Palms resort.

We knew that the roads would be detoured due to the IRONMAN competition, and classes were starting a 1/2 hour earlier than they would be for the rest of the week, so we had to leave even earlier than we originally had planned. We made our way to Capt Cooks and filled our mugs with coffee and then found our rental car to head out around 7:15. It took us a few minutes longer than it would the rest of the week due to the detours, but it was very easy to follow the signs and we made it to the beautiful Gaylord with about 30 minutes to spare. Good thing too, since we also needed to go fill out our registration forms and get our class location and schedules! Oops – forgot about that! :blush:

PA_Castillo_lg.jpg

The conference had a fairly long lunch break due to some annual meeting they were required to hold, so Mom and I took the opportunity at lunch to sight-see around the Gaylord. Excuse the pics, as I was solely using my camera phone since I left my regular camera in the car. The place is huge and had some nice stores (some very expensive ones as well). We hit the gift shop that was filled with Vera Bradley stuff and we oohed and aahed over the laptop cases. We both agreed we would be purchasing one of those before the conference was over.

IMG01234-20100516-1257.jpg

IMG01237-20100516-1401.jpg

We made our way around the Everglades section and found the alligator area.

IMG01239-20100516-1403.jpg

IMG01241-20100516-1404.jpg

They even had a Disney store with these very cute window pictures hanging on the outside.

IMG01247-20100516-1410.jpg

IMG01248-20100516-1410.jpg

Classes not only started a 1/2 hour earlier on this first day, but they also went a 1/2 hour later than the rest of the days would. :headache: We didn't get out until 5:30 (And this was on a Sunday!!! Something about that was so very wrong!! LOL! :laughing:) So we decided to just go straight to Epcot instead of going back to the Poly to change before going to Epcot.

As we got closer and closer to the park, the skies were getting increasingly darker and darker. Just as we parked in the Epcot parking lot, it started to sprinkle. We managed to jump on a tram right away, which was a good thing, as just as we did, the rain started a little harder. We made it through security, and put our tickets through and the skies just OPENED!! It was pouring! Lovely. Now what?

We didn't have ponchos or an umbrella so we just stood there for a little bit waiting to see if the rain would stop or at least slow down. I took a few pics as we waited at the entrance.

P5160089.jpg

P5160086.jpg

(One lonely little stroller out there….abandoned…)

P5160087.jpg

(Even though it was raining, I was so excited to be able to see some of the Flower & Garden stuff as this was the last day for it)

Well, duh....it finally dawned on us that we could walk on the right hand side of the park and be under awnings the whole time until we got to Spaceship Earth and I knew there was that gift shop right there by SE that might have ponchos for sale. So that's what we did. When we got into the gift shop we didn't see any ponchos ANYWHERE. Oh come on!! :guilty: This had to be the only gift shop in all of Disney World that wasn't fully stocked with ponchos as soon as the first sprinkle shows up. Just as we were about to leave, I just asked the young CM if they carried any, and she went in the back and brought two up to the front for us. Phew. Once I purchased them, the floods of other people hiding out in the store started buying them too. I told them not to bother because as soon as I spent money on a poncho, it was sure to stop raining! Ha! :rotfl:

We headed out in hopes of being able to see SOME of the Flower and Garden Festival stuff without getting too horribly wet.

P5160090.jpg

(All of my pictures are spotty, sorry! I was very glad I had a waterproof camera though so that I could take some of the displays for F&G!)

P5160091.jpg

(Gotta love how the rain clears out the parks…of course people were still there, they were just all in the stores!)

Mom had been there just a few weeks prior, so she really wanted me to see the pixies as those were her favorites. We headed that direction first, only to find it closed. Not really sure why, but I snapped a few pictures of the only things we could see...the butterfly topiaries. :sad1:

P5160094.jpg

P5160093.jpg

P5160096.jpg

Then we headed towards the World Showcase. The rain was really coming down at this point and even with our very fashionable ponchos, we were still fairly wet and cold. There were very few people out walking, but this one couple was trying to take pictures in front of the Mickey and Minnie American Gothic "gardeners", so we offered to take their picture together. They returned the favor and took our very wet, very non flattering picture as well.

P5160098.jpg

P5160099.jpg

(How much do I love his feet??? So cute!!)

...Continued in next post......

...Continued from prior post....

A large group of people had begun to gather under the friendship boat dock area, so that's where we headed as well. We figured that taking a nice boat ride over to the other side of the World Showcase would save our bodies from a little bit of the rain. Plus, we would be right near Morocco, which is where we had decided we would try something for dinner.

It was after about 10 minutes of standing there watching the boat NOT leave the other side of the WS, that we realized it was probably not running due to the rain (although I don't know why it wouldn't). A few people were apparently thinking the same thing and left the dry safety of the friendship boat dock, but we figured we would just hang out and enjoy the pitter patter of the rain on the World Showcase lagoon for a while longer in hopes it would stop.

Well, unfortunately, it didn't stop, but the boat did start to move from the other side eventually! :banana: When it finally arrived, we boarded the boat for a quick trip to Morocco where we were planning on eating at Tangerine Cafe for the very first time.

P5160102.jpg

(Hard to tell in these pictures, but the rain was really coming down)

As we exited, the rain had let up a little bit but we still decided we would sit inside the restaurant if we could find a seat. With neither one of us having eaten here before, we really weren't sure what to get. We finally decided to split the Chicken Shawrma Platter in hopes we had made a good choice. We found a quiet little table in the back of the restaurant next to the bar area and really enjoyed the platter. We didn't leave a nibble on the plate. As we finished, we put our wet ponchos back on and decided to venture back out into the rain.

However, much to our surprise and delight, the rain had decided to stop!! Woo-hoo!!:woohoo:

Thank goodness for that because I had one thing on my mind....well two things actually....Crepes and Grey Goose Lemon Citron Slushies!!

P5160105.jpg

P5160108.jpg

We divided and conquered....Mom to get slushies, and me to get crepes! We decided on a sugar crepe and a chocolate crepe and found a place to stand (since all seats were wet) to enjoy. :goodvibes Then we made our way towards the American Gardens Theater since we could hear the lively sounds of Chubby Checker playing and we just had to check it out!!

P5160109-1.jpg

Mr. Checker had pulled a whole bunch of ladies up on the stage with him and they were all dancing around – it was a lot of fun. However, I do not know how Chubby moved at all in those pants!!! Seriously, there is no way he sat down in between shows backstage. I was bumfuzzled by it and probably stared at his backside a little bit too much to try (AWKWARD!!!!) and determine how exactly the laws of physics did not apply to him! LOL! It really had us cracking up. His performance though was great! He really sounded good and the concert was a lot of fun!

P5160115.jpg

P5160118.jpg

After the show was over, we stopped at the kiosk right by the American Adventure and I got a latte and Mom got a double espresso to warm ourselves up. Then we talked about what we should try and do for that evening. I had a dilemma. I really wanted my Mom to see Illuminations as she has only seen it once, and that was on a rainy day on our October trip in 2008. Apparently, she and my step-dad did not see it when they were there a few weeks prior to this trip. However, the skies were still very questionable, and truly, I wanted her to see it on a clear night. So I pulled out my trusty little spreadsheet that listed all of the park hours, nighttime events and times, along with TGM rated colors for parks and our ADR confirmation #s. Fantasmic was playing that night as well, and we both really wanted to see that on this trip.

What to do? What to do?

Well, after much deliberation (neither one of us could make a decision), we decided to try our luck with the Fantasmic crowds. It was an EMH night at DHS so I was thinking it would be mobbed, but if we were just going to be there for F!, we should be fine, right? :rolleyes1 So we made our way towards the exit.

P5160119.jpg

P5160122.jpg

(I loved the way the sky looked and the Imagination buildings being silhouetted on the skyline….so pretty)

As we approached the Pixie Hollow section, it was back open so we decided to go in and check it out knowing that the next time we came to Epcot it would most likely be gone.

They really did a nice job with this whole area. All of the little girls who were around us, were so excited, and there was a whole group there with matching shirts that said something like “we are at Disney together to celebrate Emma’s 6th birthday” or something like that (I don’t remember the girl’s name) – It was so cute and you could tell they were all having a great time (especially the birthday girl).

P5160123.jpg

P5160124.jpg

P5160128.jpg

P5160130.jpg

I definitely wanted to get a picture of the Silvermist topiary, as she is my youngest daughter, Katie’s, favorite fairy. Just as we were getting to the little area where she was located, the CM said they would be closing that area in 2 minutes. Phew. We got in, got a picture of her, and made our way towards the exit at that point.

P5160133.jpg

(I loved how they had the mist rising up from the water)

Of course, how could we forget Tink!
P5160135.jpg

P5160137.jpg

(I loved the Simba topiary…he looks just like he does when he shakes off the wetness from his swim in the movie)!

I had to take a couple more pictures at the exit/entrance since I knew these enormous topiaries would be gone when we came back later in the week:

P5160139.jpg

I’m trying to remember the timetable for when we left, but because we stopped in to the fairy section at Epcot, we were later getting over to DHS than we originally thought we would be. Consequently, when we pulled into the parking lot, it was very crowded! I’m going to guess it was probably about 8:00 at that point so we had another decision to make….. Well, the skies looked ominous again, and the thought of sitting in wet seats at F! with a good possibility of getting rained on for the second time, amidst a large group of people, was just not appealing to us at that point, so we decided to scratch F! and head back to the Poly instead. We were pretty beat from our 10 hours in classes plus a couple hours at Epcot anyway.

We got back to the Poly, picked up some snacks at Capt Cooks, refilled our mugs, and made it back to our room in time to shower, get in our PJs, and see/hear the EWP! The MK had closed at 5 PM that night for a special event so there would be no fireworks…or so we thought. As we were sitting in bed, watching Law and Order…we heard big booms! We looked out to the balcony, and saw some of the best fireworks I had ever seen! I assumed that it was a preview of Summer Nightastic, but I have since read that it was just a special fireworks display for the event. (I still think it was Nightastic though – it was a travel agent expo and what better way to “sell” your new attractions than to feature them at the event, right?) Anyways, the fireworks were incredible and once again, my pictures are not. I am terrible at fireworks pictures, but here are a few anyway.

P5160145.jpg

P5160144.jpg

P5160143.jpg

P5160142.jpg

They were huge and they filled the whole sky! It was so cool to be able to see them from our room! When we got home from this trip, I read a blog on the DIS about the event that was going on that night in the MK.

Oh.My.Word. What an amazing event this was….check it out if you hadn’t already:

http://www.disunplugged.com/2010/06/01/cirque-du-so-magic-kingdom-a-party-with-pow-wow/
(The author mentions that it was Wishes, but I can assure you, this was not the regular “Wishes” – it was on a much larger scale). The event looks so cool!)

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/05/24/party-in-the-magic-kingdom/
(Another article from one of my favorite blogs – the Disney food blog – doesn’t talk about the fireworks, just the food, but still a great blog post!)

The next day we would be in classes again – but this time only until 5:00. Then dinner and our first attempt at a MK EMH!!! Are we nuts???

Sara

Great updates!

That's too bad about the rain ruining the rest of your evening..hopefully you guys had a chance to see Fantasmic and Illuminations later on your trip!

Not bad for your first night touring after class. With the rain the park looked empty. I still want to try the CS at Morocco, but I'm the only in my family that likes the food there. I love me some chicken shrawarma.

The fireworks sound fabulous, that MK view is paying off.:thumbsup2

Yay for an update! :cool1: The Gaylord Palms looks so pretty. We pass that on our way to Disney and every time we say we should stay there sometime. I think we need to give it a try some weekend when our seasonal passes are blacked out, and just enjoy the enourmous resort. How did the pool look?

Sorry about the rain at Epcot but you still got some nice pictures of the Flower & Garden displays. At least the crowds were low. I think you made the right decision going back to enjoy the Poly that night. I bet those fireworks were the Nightastic ones, we saw them last month and they are huge and take up the whole sky around the castle and Main Street. :cloud9:

Great updates!

That's too bad about the rain ruining the rest of your evening..hopefully you guys had a chance to see Fantasmic and Illuminations later on your trip!
Yeah, the rain was a bummer, but actually considering how hot that week was shaping up to be, I didn't mind too much. Of course, I did want to see some nighttime entertainment, so I was hoping we didn't have it EVERY night of the trip! ;)

Not bad for your first night touring after class. With the rain the park looked empty. I still want to try the CS at Morocco, but I'm the only in my family that likes the food there. I love me some chicken shrawarma.

The fireworks sound fabulous, that MK view is paying off.:thumbsup2
Yeah, the food at TC was really good and what's nice is if the weather is nice outside, you could definitely use it as a meeting place to eat whatever food anyone wants to get! So you can get the shwarma platter and someone else could go get a burger in America, someone else could get a croissant in France, and you could all meet up there and eat!! :goodvibes

Yay for an update! :cool1: The Gaylord Palms looks so pretty. We pass that on our way to Disney and every time we say we should stay there sometime. I think we need to give it a try some weekend when our seasonal passes are blacked out, and just enjoy the enourmous resort. How did the pool look?

Sorry about the rain at Epcot but you still got some nice pictures of the Flower & Garden displays. At least the crowds were low. I think you made the right decision going back to enjoy the Poly that night. I bet those fireworks were the Nightastic ones, we saw them last month and they are huge and take up the whole sky around the castle and Main Street. :cloud9:
Ugh Michelle - the Gaylord was very pretty, but man, that parking fee is crazy! It was $14 and you had to pay it EVERY time you left - so we went to DTD one day for lunch and had to pay it to leave the parking lot, and then pay again at the end of the day after the classes were over. A lot of people at the conference were talking about how they were kind of "trapped" there, not being able to go out somewhere else at night unless they wanted to pay for parking twice (or 3 times even...yikes). A lot of people would take a cab to go places because it was cheaper!! Just FYI!

The pool looked fabulous! It was pretty crowded in the afternoon, but very nice.

Those fireworks were really grand! :goodvibes

Wow, Sara, Epcot looks exactly like how I left it in December ~ WET! :sad2:

Love the F&G stuff tho ~ especially the fairies! :goodvibes
LOL Nicole! We did have that typical May weather - threat of thunderstorms every late afternoon/evening. At least it cools off the pavement, right? :goodvibes

Sara

Ugh Michelle - the Gaylord was very pretty, but man, that parking fee is crazy! It was $14 and you had to pay it EVERY time you left - so we went to DTD one day for lunch and had to pay it to leave the parking lot, and then pay again at the end of the day after the classes were over. A lot of people at the conference were talking about how they were kind of "trapped" there, not being able to go out somewhere else at night unless they wanted to pay for parking twice (or 3 times even...yikes). A lot of people would take a cab to go places because it was cheaper!! Just FYI!

Holy cow, that is crazy! If we ever go I'll remember that and it will be my motivation to stay at the resort and just enjoy it's ammenites!

Holy cow, that is crazy! If we ever go I'll remember that and it will be my motivation to stay at the resort and just enjoy it's ammenites!

I know! We were both surprised at that! I guess they have to do what they have to do to keep people there! :confused3 Seems a bit of a ripoff since it's not like there is anywhere you can even walk to easily and certainly they don't provide transportation anywhere either. :rolleyes1

Sara

Great update Sara. Gaylord Palms looks pretty nice! I just love Epcot during F&G, so beautiful. I had to laugh at those pics of Chubby checker with his very tight pants. :laughing: Too bad it was raining and your evening plans kind of got ruined. But seeing EWP and Wishes or Summer nightastic from your room is just magical :cloud9:.

Great update Sara. Gaylord Palms looks pretty nice! I just love Epcot during F&G, so beautiful. I had to laugh at those pics of Chubby checker with his very tight pants. :laughing: Too bad it was raining and your evening plans kind of got ruined. But seeing EWP and Wishes or Summer nightastic from your room is just magical :cloud9:.

Nichole, I could not believe how tight his pants were!! Seriously, they were like painted on - the pictures don't' even do it justice! He had another show after that one and Mom and I just couldn't figure out how he even was able to sit down in between the two shows! It was a wonder he was able to sing with that much constriction! :rotfl2:

Sara

Boo for the rain. :sad2: I'm glad it stopped and you were able to enjoy a couple of hours at Epcot!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tangierine Cafe! My favorite CS in Epcot. I could go for a Chicken Shwarma platter right about now....YUM! :thumbsup2

Good plan to scratch Fantasmic....warm, dry jammies and MK fireworks sound like a better idea! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter