Mom needed a break...no laundry, no hubby, no kids...sorta!! A SOLO TR..updated 11/15

You really have an eye for photography! Awesome pics!! I loved the ones you took inside AKL - that's the first time I've seen it without the lobby looking so dark. Great job :thumbsup2

My DS15 & I are going in December but now he is having second thoughts - wants a computer instead. I'm surprising him with a used one anyway for when we get back so I can't tell him that he doesn't have to make a choice. I think if his older brother (DS30) could go with us, he'd jump at the chance. He's probably afraid to tell me that he doesn't really want to tag along with his old mother :lmao: He has no clue what WDW is all about - he thinks it's more like Kings Dominion (an amusement park here in VA) so he can't comprehend spending 7 days at an amusement park :rotfl: Reason for this long story is I may be going solo which is kind of scary but you are having a great time so maybe it won't be so bad :confused3

I don't blame you for not wanting to type it all. Your photos are so beautiful. I really want to take a photography class! :goodvibes

You're not gonna spill?! Come on!!! ;)

Your Safari pics are GREAT! Beautiful photographs. I also found your Halloween entry on the Photography board, I love it! Very nice work. I hope I can get a few winners. I used to do some really fun photography with my film SLR, but got lazy and never really learned on my digital. Now we have a DSLR and I'm finally branching back into learning. I played a BUNCH with the settings recently and have read some tips to refresh my memory about ISO, FStops and the Shutter Speed. I don't know much about white balance yet, but I think our camera covers that pretty well on its own.

I won't be here for the wrapping up of your trip, but I look forward to reading the ending and finding out what's the deal with your ticker! when I return. :goodvibes

What beautiful pictures! I had absolutely no intention of heading to AK during my trip next month - you may make me change my mind!

popcorn:: waiting to read more.

Look at me!! I'm an updating fool today!

Where was I? Oh yes... picking up another FP for the Safari!! I had about 2 hrs til my return time...good....maybe that will give those giraffes some time to get a move on!!

In the mean time, I decided to go on over to Maharajh Trek. I thought that since my luck with the critters was going so well today, I should see the tigers too:thumbsup2 I snapped a couple pics and had a couple taken of me as I strolled from Africa to Asia.

411646090_EcY7i-M.jpg

411643701_KN978-M-1.jpg

411650656_HnJip-M.jpg

411649339_rhWto-M-1.jpg

411649423_viaaK-M-1.jpg

Unfortunately, there were more people than animals this time.... but not too ridiculously crowded. The bats are very cool. I like the tigers, but they were already being lazy kitties and lying around in the sun. I enjoyed the details along the trail more than the rather sparse animals. It was a very pretty walk... and shaded too:)

Look! more pics!!

411644664_zFkq4-M.jpg

411645029_f7juh-M-1.jpg

411647111_t2iNW-M.jpg

411646941_Sw2K8-M-1.jpg

411648059_m8qZZ-M-1.jpg

411649232_AUq5D-M.jpg

411648877_gwr76-M.jpg

411862231_PmFdQ-M.jpg

411862461_rWLUL-M-1.jpg

Can you tell that I LOVE taking pics at AK???? I think it is the best park to take pictures... because NOTHING is static. You can take a pic of something, then when you walk thru again 10 min later you can take it again with a whole new feel. Lighting changes, birds/animals move around, each trip the foliage changes/grows!!

After my Asian Trek... I thought, hmmm I have an hour til my Safari time. Lets go see what the EE single rider line looks like today. It was noon, the park was sorta crowded, but I have a hard time telling since AK ALWAYS feels crowded to me.

This is the point where I did something I did eventually regret (a little)... something the imagineers may have NEVER envisioned OR intended to happen at Everest.....

411650264_3gkEf-M.jpg

There were only a couple people in the singles line!! So of course I hopped in. I didn't wait long before I was heading up the mountain!! Yay!! I love Everest! When I got off, I went around the corner and HEY!! only 4 people in line... so I went again.... and again... and again........

I rode EE 7 times in a row... in less than 50 minutes!!!!! By the time I got off the last time, i thought that I had bruises on my frontal brain lobe, where it rattled against my skull too many times:scared1:

I needed to sit down.... before I fell down... my legs felt a bit like jello. I got a cold drink and found a shady bench for about 15 min...then I felt better!! After my well needed rest, I headed back to do the Safari...in search of giraffes. On the way... I finally spotted DeVine!! She is unbelievable!

411644188_LKvB2-M-2.jpg

After watching for a while... I went to use my FP.... was there any giraffes?????

Stay tuned!!

Paula

Yay!! Your trip report is amazing. Your details are what brings us back, and I'll bet when you are on trips with your family, you will think back to your solo trip with wonderful memories! The only bad thing is when I get to the end of an installment, it's like NOOOOO!!! Can't wait for more! - but you are on a roll today! :yay:
-mary

Paula, I am in AWE of your photos. They are SO good! Will you give lessons? Seriously they are that good. You are inspiring me to make my next trip a photography focused (ha ha!) trip.

And 7 times in a row on EE??!! :scared1:

Paula -

Thanks for your updates. As usual, your pictures are beautiful! Especially AK. Nice bounceback package. I love late august, but soccer kills that for me! Now, I am still waiting patiently to hear about DVC - did you or didn't you?????;)

I'm going to finish this very soon, at the rate I'm going!!

After seeing DeVine, off I went on my 2nd 2 week Safari of the day. This time I did get to see several giraffes:woohoo: including the new baby.... Awww isn't he so cute!!

411650645_THv9S-M-1.jpg

411650684_9YsnZ-M.jpg

I took a lot more pics of them.... but I likes these two the best:goodvibes

Still no zebras... but I did see a couple of them at AKL this morning. The ostriches were out now too... but no good pics.... I never get and good pictures of them:confused3 That may be a goal for next time:thumbsup2

By now I was hungry and a bit tired, so I needed a break. I meandered toward the front of the park, thinking to grab some lunch. On the way I browsed a few shops and bought a "fat Yeti" for Ellie (which she LOVED!)

406219809_VqeVo-M.jpg

He's so soft and fluffy!! And about the size of a soccer ball... Allison already said she wants a "fat" stuffy when we go next time!

When I got to pizzafari, the line was long (it was about 1:30ish... give or take) so I decided to go outside and chat with the DVC guy for a few minutes. I figured it would give the line a chance to wind down..and I wasn't like starving or anything!!

DVC dude had no one with him (I want to say his name was Justin or Jason:confused3 ... I didn't write it down, now I don't remember!). So we chatted a few minutes and I told him I wanted to take the tour.

A little background info.... I had planned to find time to do the DVC tour this week anyway. DH and I had already come to the decision that we were going to buy in come spring time.... after the :mad: heating oil:mad: was done for this year. So I was on a fact finding mission.

Well, Jason (Justin) told me that they could send a van for me to go now, it would be able to be here in 15 minutes. Hmmmm that sounds like a good break for a bit, get out of the sun. Besides, this was my last park day... so it was now or never!! While waiting for the van... I went and got another drink and a rice crispy treat to tide me over until I got a real lunch.

The DVC tour was really nice. Gib was my guide. I had spoken with Gib well over a year ago, when DH an I first started looking into the DVC. I was suprised, but he remembered talking to me back then!! There was no pressure, but Gib answered a ton of my questions. There was no problem with me taking the tour solo either... most timeshares require both spouses, but DVC will take anyone interested.

Anyway, I found out the SSR was sold out (I didn't know that!) AKV was selling very well, but there will be a lot of rooms in the resort when its finished too. We walked thru the demo rooms of BLT and AKV (Kidani). The pics online really don't do them justice!! They are both beautiful! BLT is much nicer than I expected. The pics I've seen made the color scheme seem :scared1: (at least to me!). In reality, although the colors are modern, they are muted enough to not be as overstimulating as I had believed they'd be. AKV is gorgeous... OMG the bathroom in the 1br... is HUGE!! My room from ASMu could fit in there!! OK well maybe not, but the bathroom was alot bigger than the one I have at home... and its nice sized!

Talking to Gib, I found out the current DVC promo is $8 off per point (for AKV only) given as a gift card which is then applied to your downpayment. Since Kidani doesn't open til May... no fees on points til then. Plus, matching developer points for SSR to use the 1st year!

Between the deal and the bathroom.... I wa SOLD!! I talked it over w/ DH when I got home.... Paperwork is pending.... 250 points AKV!!!!:woohoo:
Only $600 down... no reason to wait til spring

akvgroup.jpg

Yippee!!! Thats's why there's no ticker for my bounceback..... I'm going to stay in a 1BR at SSR instead, in July over DH birthday:cool1:
I haven't cancellled the BB deal though.... I'm hoping 2xcited2sleep and I can work it out for a girls trip:goodvibes

OK back to the TR... and away from the DVC tangent.

There were a couple of other cool things about doing the DVC tour. There were FREE ice cream sundaes (that looked ..oh so yummy) avilable afterward. I needed real food, so I passed:sad1: And I got a special FP card for 3 immediate FPs. As long as there were still FP available for the day, you could stick the card in and get one for the CURRENT time:dance3: How cool!! You get 1 card per person on the tour and have 4 days to use it. Well it was 3pm ON MY LAST DAY!!! I knew what I was going to use it for... SOARIN'!! DVC will give you a ride anywhere you want, after the tour... so I hitched a ride back to ASMu. I had a fruit salad and a muffin for a late lunch then went to my room. I wanted to drop off "fat yeti" so I wasn't carrying him round all night. When I got to my room... I found a little birdie!!

412497741_qcgkA-M.jpg

Here's a close up of the card... how sweet!!:hug:

412497735_FcfxS-M.jpg

I was so excited!! We've never gotten a towel animal before! I certainly didn't expect one when I was there without kids!

Next up.... EPCOT!

Yeah! We got to the DVC portion! :woohoo: and congratulations!! Sounds like a great deal to buy. "Only" $600 down for 250 pts??? Hmmm... :idea:

Those magic fast passes they gave away sound so cool!

I am hoping we can work out a girls trip too!! :goodvibes

Love the fat yeti... he's so cute! And so is baby giraffe!

Oh and love the note from mousekeeping too. How nice is that?!

What an exciting post!!!!!! LOVE the giraffe pics, they are my absolute favorite animals and you got great pictures, love the one of him peaking from behind the tree!!:lovestruc AND DVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 WOW, I'm SO jealous!!!!! We've been going back and forth for at least a year but with the way the economy is and being a one income family, we just don't know that we should do it. But when I read your post, you got my wheels spinning AGAIN!! My poor DH will be hearing about this again today!!! lol!!:rotfl: Congrats on your purchase and your future trip in July!!!!! How exciting!!!! Btw, LOVE birdie, too!! Very cute!!:flower3:

A fantastic update! You took some amazing AK photos. :goodvibes

Buying into DVC is so freaking exciting!! Yahoo!!!!

7 times on EE :worship: . The most I have done is 4 (trying to get a pic of the Yeti). No wonder your legs were wobbling.

WOW, congrats on the DVC membership. What a fun way to end your trip.

Yeah for DVC. :thumbsup2 I think you will love it! Looking forward to the your exciting conclusion!

Wow, wow, wow! Yay for DVC :banana: :banana: :banana: I am so jealous! What day was your last day? I think we may have just missed each other on EE if you were there on Friday. A third swing and a miss on our solo trips. Oh well, next time. You are going to be done with your report soon. wow. Now, time to start PTR for your first "I own it" DVC stay and your girls' trip.

Hi Paula,

Great updates! I really enjoyed them, especially DAK. I love that park. Seems that my family is ready to head out after a couple of hours. I would love to spend more time there.

Congrats on the DVC! :woohoo:

Your pictures were awesome! I am bound and determined to take a class or something to learn how to use my camera to its fullest potential. If I even come close to the fabulous quality of the ones that you took, I will be thrilled!

Sophia

Yeah! We got to the DVC portion! :woohoo: and congratulations!! Sounds like a great deal to buy. "Only" $600 down for 250 pts??? Hmmm... :idea:

Those magic fast passes they gave away sound so cool!

I am hoping we can work out a girls trip too!! :goodvibes

I know you've been waiting patiently:thumbsup2 the deal is good til end of November... When we started our paperwork on monday, Gib said they've already gotten word that it's changing (and not for the better)... just sayin:rolleyes1

take the tour in Dec... get the free ice cream and magic Fastpasses... it only took a little over an hour, and that's b/c I talked Gib's ear off!! plus, they'll drive you anywhere after... if you go from DTD... by the time you would have waited for a bus and rode back to your resort, you'd already be done with the tour!!

Here's to the Girls Trip... we'll have to think of a snazzy title:thumbsup2

What an exciting post!!!!!! LOVE the giraffe pics, they are my absolute favorite animals and you got great pictures, love the one of him peaking from behind the tree!!:lovestruc AND DVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2 WOW, I'm SO jealous!!!!! We've been going back and forth for at least a year but with the way the economy is and being a one income family, we just don't know that we should do it. But when I read your post, you got my wheels spinning AGAIN!! My poor DH will be hearing about this again today!!! lol!!:rotfl: Congrats on your purchase and your future trip in July!!!!! How exciting!!!! Btw, LOVE birdie, too!! Very cute!!:flower3:

Thanks!! I've been going nuts waiting to get to this part of my TR!! I wanted to tell everybody SO BAD!!! That's probably why I've done so many updates in the past week!!

A fantastic update! You took some amazing AK photos. :goodvibes

Buying into DVC is so freaking exciting!! Yahoo!!!!

:cloud9: Thanks! Now that your starting 'double trippin' ...hmmmm maybe it's time for you too:rolleyes1 just sayin.... Once you see that Bathroom...it'll all be over:lmao:

7 times on EE :worship: . The most I have done is 4 (trying to get a pic of the Yeti). No wonder your legs were wobbling.

WOW, congrats on the DVC membership. What a fun way to end your trip.

I thought I was going to faint... seriously!! I can't believe that I never took my camera out to try to get pics!! next time:thumbsup2

Yeah for DVC. :thumbsup2 I think you will love it! Looking forward to the your exciting conclusion!

I posted my "I'm In!!" thread on the DVC board on Monday because I was ready to bust, i was so excited!.... I figured you'd find it:rotfl2: and was suprised when you didn't! Oh well...at least I didn't need to swear you to secrecy!! I may be PMing you with some DVC related questions at some point too BTW. Sorry to bug you...but you started it:lmao:

Wow, wow, wow! Yay for DVC :banana: :banana: :banana: I am so jealous! What day was your last day? I think we may have just missed each other on EE if you were there on Friday. A third swing and a miss on our solo trips. Oh well, next time. You are going to be done with your report soon. wow. Now, time to start PTR for your first "I own it" DVC stay and your girls' trip.

I WAS there on Friday!! Rope drop til about 1:30ish when I left with DVC!! Did you use the SRL for EE too??? I love the stuff in the regular queue line, but just couldn't stand in it, when I could basically just walk on!! When I got off my last time there still was almost no one in the SRL... I looked:lmao:

I'm going to have a hard time deciding which trip to PTR.... The July DVC trip with the "un-disney" boys (DH and DS) OR the big Grand-gathering trip in November... which guarenteed will end up as some interesting TR reading!! Plus I'm going to need help from all you for that one. 4 adults, 4 kids... half have never been to WDW before... My DBro and DSil are 'replacing' Xmas for their boys (15 and 10) with this trip:scared1: So it HAS to go well!!

Hi Paula,

Great updates! I really enjoyed them, especially DAK. I love that park. Seems that my family is ready to head out after a couple of hours. I would love to spend more time there.

Your pictures were awesome! I am bound and determined to take a class or something to learn how to use my camera to its fullest potential. If I even come close to the fabulous quality of the ones that you took, I will be thrilled!

Sophia

I could spend DAYS in AK... I don't know how people can say it's a half day park:confused3 I love that it has all the details that we expect from Disney, but is SO different from the other parks!!

practice taking pics of EVERYTHING!! different lighting, weather, seasons... buildings, people, animals... the more you take the better you'll get! promise!
That's the best thing about digital... you know right away which settings you like/work best!!

I posted my "I'm In!!" thread on the DVC board on Monday because I was ready to bust, i was so excited!.... I figured you'd find it:rotfl2: and was suprised when you didn't! Oh well...at least I didn't need to swear you to secrecy!! I may be PMing you with some DVC related questions at some point too BTW. Sorry to bug you...but you started it:lmao:

I actually did see it, so I swore myself to secrecy until you revealed the big news! :rolleyes1
250 points is great! 200 is a bit small and I have been searching for 50 -70 point resales. But then I keep thinking that in a few years 200 should be just fine. My DH did say something the other night about buying while the resale prices are low, so you never know! Anyway - we just booked AKLvillas for early June and I am very excited to stay in the new Kidani village. I'll be sure to take lots of pics!

p.s. we just got home from soccer and ds's team made it to the semi-finals. Very exciting since they were ranked 10 and the other team was ranked 2. :cheer2:

What a great solo trip. I'd love to go solo, I also married while in college and have never lived alone, and it would be really nice to be at WDW and not have to think of anyone else or what they may or may not want to do, but to have it be All. About. Me. Congrats on DVC! Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter