Mom needed a break...no laundry, no hubby, no kids...sorta!! A SOLO TR..updated 11/15

When the parade started, I went to move up into the still empty spot I had scouted (it was only like 3 feet away). Out of NOWHERE the hoardes decended!! I let the little kids in front of me, so they could see. I refused to budge for the crabby lady behind me who was complaining about how "people let kids in front of them, but will they 'share' a good spot with an adult...nooooooo!!!! I can't get good pictures from back here. Blah, blah, blah" i figured if she had wanted a better spot, she should have grabbed a soda and a spot on the curb half an hour ago... but I held my tongue:sad2:

The parade was...well, not a parade:confused3 It was more of a mobile party. The characters and floats came up the street and stopped. There was singing and dancing and people on trampolines. It's very interactive with the kids... gets them dancing and playing along right in the street!! It was very fun to watch... but not really an 'adult' thing. My DDs will LOVE:lovestruc it! I'll make sure when I take them we get a spot nice and early right on the curb, so they can dance with the characters. When the party stopped... I was in the Monsters Inc section... I was excited to see the non-meet-and-greet characters like Boo and the monster with the sock on this back!! I did get some pictures!

408432444_xKjXY-M.jpg

408433489_gFdHH-M-1.jpg

408434046_uYHBf-M.jpg

408434455_R9W3g-M-1.jpg

408434983_8KBzS-M-1.jpg

408435524_yGuy7-M-1.jpg

408434332_7trL6-M-1.jpg

408436245_72hHX-M-1.jpg

408436344_zdjv4-M.jpg

After the Block Party passed me I slipped around past Starring Rolls and headed toward the Little Mermaid show. I had just missed it, and didn't want to wait til the next one... so went to use my Star Tours FP via the 'back way' past Sci Fi. Star Tours is always fun. I snapped this on my way thru...

408438164_xAzbR-M-1.jpg

At this point, I was tired. But it was only 4pm. It was still 3hrs til fantasmic. Fantasmic is my FAVORITE show... and I didn't want to miss it. But I was hot and tired. I made the decision to go back to ASMu for supper and to freshen up, then to come back for Fantasmic about 6. When I got to ASMu (very quickly actually, it was before 4:30) I got a cheeseburger for dinner and a salad. I picked up my deliveries from the day before and went to my room. There I found that my mousekeeper had added a bow to my towel Mickey Head that was on the extra bed!!

408438237_nWdbL-M-1.jpg

I was pretty excited!! I took a quick shower, then decided it was a good time to book my bounceback package!! DH and I decided ahead of time that since DS has decided that he wanted to go with us... we were booking in August, so DS wouldn't miss school. I booked us at the Wilderness Lodge from August 21 - 27th, free DDP, one day tixs (I don't know if I'm going to renew my pass... or just get a new one then):woohoo: :woohoo:

I felt alot better, but was still tired. So instead of going to Fantasmic, as planned... I curled up with a book I had brought, then went to bed early. No Fantasmic this trip!

OMG!! I was SO nervous when reading about your call to Stacy and that he was a man.....I didn't know what you were going to do if he was Stacy!!! Phew.......:scared: I was sweating it out with you!:goodvibes

Great update.....looking forward to the next one. I still give you SO much credit for going alone, when reading your report, I 'm not sure I could do it!!!! So good for you girl!!!!!!:woohoo:

Just got the second part of the update..bummer no Fantasmic, but it was was a full day. And woohoo for booking bounceback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

OMG!! I was SO nervous when reading about your call to Stacy and that he was a man.....I didn't know what you were going to do if he was Stacy!!! Phew.......:scared: I was sweating it out with you!:goodvibes

I was rapidly searching my brain for a plausible excuse why I couldn't meet from the time he answered!! I know i wouldn't have gone thru with it. If I knew ahead of time it was a guy, it wouldn't have bothered me. But since "Stacy" came across online a woman, it was creepy:scared: I told Stacy about it when we got back, and had a good chuckle out of it! (Stacy is a she, as I had thought)

Just got the second part of the update..bummer no Fantasmic, but it was was a full day. And woohoo for booking bounceback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup2

Very excited about WL... but notice there's no ticker???:rolleyes1

We bouncing back in August too. Loving the updates! I could never go alone. I do dream of a time when me and Sidney can go alone again. :goodvibes My parents are coming in December so I might get some park time to myself then. (Fingers crossed!) :lovestruc

Whew! That lady sounds CRABBY. I wouldn't have shared with her either. In fact I might have accidentally spilled my soda on her. Well maybe not. Wouldn't want to end up like the women in line for the teacups who had a fist fight! :scared1:

Yeah for a relaxing evening at the hotel. I had totally forgotten how exhausting Disney is! I definitely overdid it on my trip. Next time mid day breaks are essential.

I love Star Tours too -- even if it is a little old.

And WOO HOO for booking bounceback!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Did you see the deal that came out tonight? I have to do some calculating to see how/if it would work for me since I don't need the park tickets.

I posted this on my TR but thought I'd post it here for your readers as well.

It's all good Paula! I mean, I will probably need therapy to get over my feelings of despair because you thought I was an old man (be quiet Rob!) but hey, it can join a LONG list of things that I need therapy for. :rotfl: Oh well, this just means that we have to plan trips at the same time again so we can really meet!

I can't believe you skipped Fantasmic! You must have been really tired. And we missed another chance to meet although I doubt we would have found each other - me looking for anyone and you looking for an old man - but we could have tried. Congrats on booking bounceback! I wish I could have, but I know I can't travel again until next October. Keep your fingers crossed that there will be a good booking bonus for then.

I've got tears in my eyes b/c of the block party. We don't go until next Dec & have never seen it & know the boys will love it. I CAN"T WAIT.

My plan for my final day started with breakfast at Boma, then AK at rope drop (to see the critters), probably MK in pm (due to being open til 11:00).

In reality... here's how it went!!

I woke up rather early, showered, and headed to the food court to fill my mug. I was outside looking to see if there was a cab available at 6:30. There was a cab there, but he was waiting for someone. The cabbie called me another and I was on my way to AKL by 6:45. I arrived within about 10min. The cab ride was an experiment. I hadn't tried going from one resort to another that way, and wanted to give it a whirl. It worked fine. With tip it cost me $10.

Since my Bfast ressie wasn't til 7:55, I wandered around the lobby and checked out the decor. I went out on the overlooks to see if I could see any animals on the savanna, but the area was not opened for the day yet. So instead I wandered down and checked out the Uzima Pool area (beautiful!) and Mara. I then went back inside and looked around the gift shop. The shop at AKL has some AMAZING stuff!! I am so taking more spending money next time!!! There's all sorts of African and animal inspired items that are totally different from anything anywhere else. It was about 7:20, so I tried the savanna again... it was now open:cool1: There were a few zebras out and I saw an antelope and giraffe way in the distance....but couldn't really see them well.

Here's a few AKL pics....

411637376_JtxFE-M.jpg

411637289_fiJjN-M-1.jpg

411636361_7dHi7-M.jpg

411636387_WfnvL-M.jpg

411636302_EHEka-M.jpg

Around 7:30, I made my way to Boma. It was early, but I thought maybe I could get seated sooner than 7:55. Sure enough, after a 5 min wait, I was seated. Yum Yum Yummy!! It was a very good buffet. Very nice variety of well prepared foods. The baked goods were about '2 bite sized'...which was a good thing!! They all looked so delicious! Since they were small, I was able to try several. Instead of coffee, I decided to have the African Frunch, juice blend. It was very good, but rich. All in all, it was an excellent breakfast that I definately recommend:thumbsup2

After breakfast, I walked to the bus area. My AKL bus mojo was still going strong!! Again, the AK bus was sitting at the stop, just waiting for me:woohoo: I am loving the busses at this resort! I arrived at AK around 8:25ish. I was behind a friendly lady and her adult daughter, whom I chatted with a bit while waiting for the park to open. Apparently they were first timers, because when we get to the turnstiles, the daughter uses the ticket, then hands it to mom....who of course, can't get in with it:scared1: They were upset. I guess that when they went to guest relations at their resort, they asked for 2 tix, but only handed the CM 1 KTTW card. So they were both put on the same card. After a 5-10min delay..they were sent to guest relations (1 on the inside and 1 on the outside of the park). I felt bad... i could see how it got messed up. Miscommunicaion is a killer! hopefully they got it worked out.

I took my time walking thru the Oasis, as everyone else rushed past me. And I took several nice scenic photos:goodvibes

411637248_6uYr2-M-1.jpg

411638523_PVjhQ-M.jpg

411638310_eY9Gr-M.jpg

Once they little preshow was over and the CMs let us all loose...I headed straight for the Safari, well me and a couple thousand of my new friends! I fastpassed the Safari and headed down Pangani Trail. Let me just say.... EXCELLENT PLAN!!:banana: I was practically alone! Everybody was queued up at the safari and EE! It was beautiful walking thru there early in the morning. I could linger as long as I wanted, because I wasn't blocking anyone:cloud9: I had the chance to talk at length with the CMs about the Meerkats and the Gorillas. It was nice being able to talk with them and ask questions without worrying about people behind you getting irritated:laughing:

I finally got to see a meerkat....they've eluded me in the past

411638376_fcTPv-M-1.jpg

The gorillas were very active!! I was able to see both the bachleor AND the family troupes out and about. They were playing and eating. There was a big Silverbacked Bachelor Male that had his own blanket that he carried around and spread out to sit on!

411639790_gnSjG-M.jpg

411639412_maau3-M-1.jpg

411639374_3bEXe-M.jpg

411640401_fH6Kj-M.jpg

411640418_ZdxMr-M-2.jpg

I must have taken 100 pics of the gorillas!! They were amazing. By the time I finished the trail, it was well into my Safari FP time...so I headed for my favorite 2 week adventure!!

Paula

Okay, after these pictures. I'm definately buy your camera & taking the classes. Amazing.

Wow, those gorilla pics are awesome!! Great tip on FP for the Safari and then hitting the trail. I'll keep that in mind for this coming week!

YEA for bounceback, but where is your ticker for it?!

I love that you took a quiet evening and curled up with a book, even though it meant missing your favorite show...it was what you wanted to do at that moment and you had the flexability to do so! So nice!

You were an updating machine last night!!!

AKL looks beautiful! :love: I so cannot wait to try it. And I've made a mental note: gift shops = dangerous! Is bus mojo transferrable? If so, send a little my way!

LOVE the Pagani trail pics! I have never done the trail but I think I will take your advice and FP the safari and hit the trail (hopefully alone-ish). How cute that Mr. Gorilla has a blankie?? That is ADORABLE! Great photos, as always!! :goodvibes

Okay, after these pictures. I'm definately buy your camera & taking the classes. Amazing.

Thanks!!:goodvibes

Wow, those gorilla pics are awesome!! Great tip on FP for the Safari and then hitting the trail. I'll keep that in mind for this coming week!

It was a moment of brilliance, if I do say so myself!!:lmao: The CMs on the trail said that it doesn't usually get busy til later, but the gorillas are the most active in the early morning. The family troupe usually come out around 9:30 but the bachelors are out before that.!!

YEA for bounceback, but where is your ticker for it?!

:rolleyes1 :rolleyes1 :rolleyes1

I love that you took a quiet evening and curled up with a book, even though it meant missing your favorite show...it was what you wanted to do at that moment and you had the flexability to do so! So nice!

It was nice:) I wish I'd have been more motivated to go back to DHS, though! I did see it in February... and there's always my next trip:thumbsup2

You were an updating machine last night!!!

AKL looks beautiful! :love: I so cannot wait to try it. And I've made a mental note: gift shops = dangerous! Is bus mojo transferrable? If so, send a little my way!

LOVE the Pagani trail pics! I have never done the trail but I think I will take your advice and FP the safari and hit the trail (hopefully alone-ish). How cute that Mr. Gorilla has a blankie?? That is ADORABLE! Great photos, as always!! :goodvibes

AKL is beautiful... its so peaceful in the morning! I was there on my last visit, because we did Boma for dinner, and the lodge is like a different place in the morning vs after dark. I could have (no joking) spent an easy $500 in that gift shop...on NON-WDW type stuff!! Next time I'm definately taking more $$$!! I love giraffes and turtles, they had some really great stuff that was right up my alley!

It was a good plan to get the 'thrill' rides (EE and dinosaur) out of the way at EMH, so I could spend some quality time with the critters. It worked out even better than I had hoped, since the trail was so empty of park guests. For the most part, I did very well zigging when everyone else was zagging all week:goodvibes

Paula

I exited the Pangani Trail and popped right into the Safari FP line. One thing that I liked about the safari solo... is I knew that I'd have an end seat:thumbsup2 I really didn't expect to be put in the middle of a row. What I didn't expect is that they gave me a whole row to myself!!! I was able to slide from one side to the other, depending on where the animals were! I stayed on the left side almost the whole ride except for one section, so I don't think I annoyed the people behind me too much:thumbsup2 I was just so excited!!!

This safari was prbably the MOST animals I've ever seen on it!! The Black Rhinos, Cheetahs, Male and Female Lions were ALL out!! However none of the ones I always see were around:confused3 I only saw the one baby giraffe, but no others...and no zebras or ostriches.

Here's some of the 80 pics I took on the Safari:goodvibes

411641506_2DL7U-M.jpg

411641208_ATC8s-M.jpg

411861333_sKADb-M.jpg

411641615_Gj8Pp-M.jpg

411861274_JdqmL-M.jpg

411861599_qPCt7-M.jpg

411642278_H3rw8-M.jpg

411642570_uLFTQ-M.jpg

411865268_Ri5L3-M.jpg

411643091_huVFN-M.jpg

411861727_ksKTS-M.jpg

411861972_4Zh6F-M.jpg

411862498_eVev7-M.jpg

411642513_fr5LT-M.jpg

I was thrilled that I saw so many animals... I never even knew there were cheetahs on the savanna, I've never seen them there before:goodvibes However, I was disappointed that I didn't see more giraffes. I'm a big time giraffe person, I just LOVE:lovestruc them!! So I did the only thing I could do... get another FP and try it again!!:woohoo:

Paula

Great safari pics. You were lucky to see the cheetahs they are normally so far up and in the shade. Plus you got both lions!!! I love the safari ride. I could go on it over and over.

Those are fantastic safari pictures!! Wow. What kind of camera do you have??

I talked about my camera earlier... here's the post:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=28292008&postcount=63

Sorry, but it was kinda long and I didn't want to type it all over again:goodvibes

The Safari was the only time I did use my 80-210mm zoom lens. I like the flexibility of interchangable lenses... but they get annoying to carry around all the time. I actually left my zoom in my room all week except for my AK day. I knew I'd want it for the Safari:thumbsup2

All my other pics, I used the standard 35-80mm lens, which is pretty comparable to what you get with the 5x zoom on the piont and shoot cameras.

My pics still aren't nearly as good as the ones over on the photography board!! But I'm getting better... at least in the current photo contest, I'm not in last place in my 'heat'!! I'm in the middle of the pack. Unfortunately, that's still no where good enough to make the finals, which is my goal:thumbsup2

If you want to check out this weeks contest its at:
photo contest 2008... rules, voting links, and upcoming contests. this week is all halloween pics... some are absolutely AMAZING!!!

Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter