Mom "Lunch Shamed" For Giving Her Daughter Oreos

LBIJim

Satisfied With 2.71828
I agree I would send what I wanted my kid to have. My boys are grown, but they always packed their own lunches from about age 8. Usually a sandwich or yogurt, chips, an apple or fruit roll up and a couple of cookies or Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie-they loved those things and sometimes a juice box. They grew up just fine and are very lean and healthy at 29 and 31. Schools have gone way overboard and it's none of their business. It's different if you're not feeding your child, geez. We've got more than enough Big Brother in our lives and kids don't need it from school. I love that they school has "requirements" for lunches brought from home. Half the fun when we were kids (and my boys too) was trading what our moms had packed because other kids always had cooler stuff lol.

The only reason I can see this NOT being ridiculous is if she was aware of this policy. I know that my kids are only allowed certain snacks.

But if it's not a school wide rule, it's none of their business.

Completely ridiculous. Parents can and should be the ones to choose what to feed their children. If the school wants to educate parents and children on healthy choices, fine. But it's the parent's ultimate responsibility to feed their child, whether the school approves of their choices or not. Schools are for educating, not controlling their students' every move.

Something is off about this.

The wording of the letter doesn't make sense (they have to send bread if they send potatoes??), so I'm wondering what really happened. The school itself didn't provide comment, and the only statements that aren't from the mom came from "a spokeswoman for the Aurora Public Schools, which provides funding for some of the children to attend the private pre-school," so not someone who really knows what happened.

A year ago, a friend of mine - who just happens to be a teacher - had her 11-year-old daughter come home with a note from her school regarding the juice box in her lunch. The juice in question was one of those organic kinds with "natural" sugars, but it was not on the approved list. Whoever checked the daughter's lunch made her throw it away and gave her a cup so she could get water from the fountain. My angry friend shared the note - it WAS very unpleasant - and the list of "approved" lunch foods and drinks. Water...skim milk...Capri-Sun...Hi-C...Hawaiian Punch...Kool-Aid... :sad2:

I think my friend was actually more livid at the fact that they made her daughter throw it away rather than allow her to bring it home, though.

None of this made sense. If you send in potatoes, send in a bread. Yeah, because 2 carbs with not a lot of nutritional value should always be paired. Yet peanut butter, a non-meat protein is on the "no" list. It's like this is a hoax.

I'd probably ignore the note, and continue to give my kid whatever I wanted. If another note was sent home, I'd tell the school to pound sand.

Any other thoughts?

I would tell them to pound sand. Actually, I did, back when my daughter was in 5th grade. I had sent her in with a Capri Sun 'roaring waters' Five calories in the juice pouch, water with fruit flavoring. No sugar added, only 5 calories. The pediatrician reccomended keeping the amount of juice in her diet to ONE cup of juice a day or less, and I was doing what the pediatrican wanted. She didn't like water, but liked these with the added flavor. So it was all good as far as I was concerned. Until the teacher took it away from her and told her that she was only allowed 100% juice. When I went in the next day for the regular report card conference, I told her that she was NOT to take a snack or beverage away from my child, that I was the parent and I was serving something that was NOT juice based on the doctors guidelines, and as long as I am the parent and providing the snacks, I would decide what my child would drink.

I would tell them to pound sand. Actually, I did, back when my daughter was in 5th grade. I had sent her in with a Capri Sun 'roaring waters' Five calories in the juice pouch, water with fruit flavoring. No sugar added, only 5 calories. The pediatrician reccomended keeping the amount of juice in her diet to ONE cup of juice a day or less, and I was doing what the pediatrican wanted. She didn't like water, but liked these with the added flavor. So it was all good as far as I was concerned. Until the teacher took it away from her and told her that she was only allowed 100% juice. When I went in the next day for the regular report card conference, I told her that she was NOT to take a snack or beverage away from my child, that I was the parent and I was serving something that was NOT juice based on the doctors guidelines, and as long as I am the parent and providing the snacks, I would decide what my child would drink.
Oh boy, that would have pissed me off. Lists of what my child is allowed to bring for lunch would be round-filed and the principal would be getting an earful from me. There are very few things that get me riled up about school. Trying to usurp my authority as a parent is a major one.

Oh boy, that would have pissed me off. Lists of what my child is allowed to bring for lunch would be round-filed and the principal would be getting an earful from me. There are very few things that get me riled up about school. Trying to usurp my authority as a parent is a major one.

The funny part was that there WAS no list of what was allowed. The only guidance was 'please send healthy snacks'. To me, this WAS healthier that sending a 100% juice because of the sugar content and calories.

I recently read a great article that introduced me to a term I really like: "The moralization of food":
Another archetypal food myth involves the assigning of moral and religious qualifiers to our food. We think of foods as “good” or “bad,” “sinful” or “natural.” These designations don’t actually mean anything however. Rather than science, their origins are often found in religion or in the random notion that if it tastes good it must be bad for you. And once established they perpetuate, becoming part of the underlying fabric of a culture. People come to express dogmatic acceptance without knowing exactly why. Processed food is evil…just because it is. Natural is better…because Adam and Eve didn’t have MS?

Sugar is the most blatant victim of the moralization of food. In addition to concerns regarding weight gain and associated medical problems, historically sugar has been blamed for everything from scurvy and “weak nerves” to ill-behaved children and even insatiable sexual desire. And despite all evidence and understanding of addiction, some anti-sugar proponents have even likened it to nicotine and cocaine, claiming that there is no safe level of consumption.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter