Mom looking for advice from teens: AKL

Aisling

<font color=darkorchid>Where your mind goes, your
I'm taking my family to AKL concierge this summer, DS12 and DS18. I'm hoping they're going to love it.
Have any of you Dis teens stayed at AKL? Can you give me opinions of this resort?
Thanks!

Hi

I haven't stayed in the hotel but have seen it. My friend has been and she loved it. It is supposed to be lovely. Esp if you like animals!

Hope you have a great holiday! Is it your first time?

I actually haven't stayed there either, but I've eaten at Boma's, and it's great! They have the best breakfast buffet!!! :) The atmosphere is great too!

I haven't stayed there either, but it's supposed to be really cool. I've eaten at Jiko, so i know that the atmosphere is fantastic! The buffet thing is cool, but it's ALWAYS crowded with tons of parents with their kids... so that's LOUD... but themed really well! In some of the rooms your balcony overlooks the "safari" so you can see animals... So, if you like the whole african/animal theme, then this is great for you... I have no idea how it is for teens, because i've never actually stayed there, but my favorite resort is Old Key West... and i've loved it all thru my childhood/teenage years... It's relaxing, there's lots of room, it's so homey - as if you lived there instead of just a plain 'ol hotel room.

I stayed there....and found it so boring!
don't get me wrong...the resort is beautiful...but it doesn't offer any activites....the animals are great...but there are no water rentals or good hang outs for teens...the pool is always crowded since there is only one...and the slide is quite slow...
it was a long ride to DTD...and to the MK....Its a pain getting around from there....

BUT...the resort is great...if your not planning on spending that much time there...I feel its a great resort...but I most likely won't stay there again...very boring!
I prefered the CBR offer it greatly...they had a lot more for teens to do...

AKL was awesome!! i stayed there a year ago, and its SOOOOOOOOO pretty! you'll love it!

I am a disney teen (17) on my mom's name. We have stayed at AKL twice in the past two years and loved it. Although it is true that they don't have "activities" throughout the day, there are still many things going on. The resort itself is gorgeous and unique. I have not encountered this "poo" smell but I am sure it is possible with the animals. I have eaten at Boma's for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was better imo b/c I am not a very adventurous person when it comes to food. My parents ate at Jiko and loved it. If you are thinking of staying at AKL I would highly encourage it. It is a great place to stay.

I (eyern's DD 17) have stayed thereand it was amazing! we had a savana view and that is cool to wake up and see all the animals there. it is also cool because you can just walk around and it is always pretty. there is also a place in the lobby just to hang out and the pool is very nice!

As for activities there are some at night like if you are coming back to go/change for dinner.... but in the day time you are at the parks so it shouldnt matter all that much...

hope that helps

Thanks for all the responses! This will be our first time at AKL!

I stayed there last summer and it was really nice but it was also very dark the animals were really neat but to get from one place to the other you have to walk through the building and it's very easy to get lost! (me and my cousin did lol):crazy: In my opinion there is no hotel that even come remotly close to being as cool as the polynessian concierge!:sunny: I hope i helped!

-PolynessianBaby-

I stayed at AKL in June 2003, and loved the hotel, although there are almost no teens there, at least not that i saw. I think I ran into 5 different teens at AKL in the 11 days I stayed there. But at least the three girls I talked to were great.

The atmosphere at the hotel is great, and if your room has a savannah or pool view, you should be quite pleased. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the smallest of the three savannahs. We had giraffes outside of our window almost all day long.

I only really have two complaints about the hotel. The first is that the bugs were horrible near the pool after dark. I have been to other resorts at Disney in June several times before, and never had a problem. It must be the added vegitation and the remote location of the hotel. The second complaint I had was that the Mara (AKL's food court) is only open until 11:00. When the parks are closing at 10:00, and it takes such a long time to get to the hotel from distant areas (MK, Epcot, MGM, and Downtown Disney), how can you get something to eat before closing. At least with some of the other resorts, they are open until midnight.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your trip.

I stayed there last year it is my moms favorie resort but thats bc her fav park is Animal Kingdom I liked it i think your 12 year old will like it more than your 18 year old b/c i was 12 when i went and i don't like ak that much b/c i don't like zoos but this hotel was cool there acually was one activity that as cool there is this scavinger hunt there u have 2 find all the animals hidin in the walls i think my mom enjoyed that more than me though I think u will have alot of fun there ::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter