Mom dragged kid by backpack harness!

ROTFLMAO - get defensive much? I said that this is what worked for us. Get it? I did not attack anyone else for their choices or suggest that our choice was the best choice for anyone else. :sad2:

Defensive? Hardly--but you seemed very eager to agree with the individual condemning others.

What is sad that you included in your quote the story of a dead child as part of your laughing your butt off moment. Pretty insensitive--and yeah, that's defensive and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I have a seven year old with autism and ADHD. We didn't use a harness with her despite the fact that she was EXTREMELY hyperactive, impulsive, fast, and fearless as a toddler. However, if we had had more than two children or if I had felt the need I would have done so in a heartbeat. A harness, like a stroller, is just a tool. Don't like it? Don't use one. But don't accuse others of lazy parenting until you know their circumstances.

Perhaps you enjoy watching the screaming fool of a parent who lost their child in a store because they weren't using a leash( not the reason I use my. I have always taught my kids to never leave my side and they always listen)? I AM SO SICK OF HEARING THAT THESE ONLY BELONG ON DOGS. They can be used responsibly and with purpose,

You're right, they aren't just for dogs. I used to walk my ferret on one also :rolleyes1

Defensive? Hardly--but you seemed very eager to agree with the individual condemning others...
Can you see that you made a mistake in attacking me? I agreed only with the line that I quoted. That line did not "condemn others".

It seems that you attacked me just because I agreed with something that someone else said just because you don't care for that other person. You didn't bother to actually read my post, you just went into "defensive post" mode...

I think the biggest issue with leashes is the way some parents tend to use them as substitute babysitters or playpens. It bothers me to no end to see someone put a kid on a leash and then proceed to completely ignore anything that child does, because obvioiusly he/she is fine since he/she is on the leash. :headache: This has caused me no end of annoyance when in a mall or theme park, or any other busy place.

HOWEVER, if a parent can use a leash as an assistive, potentially life-saving tool instead of a convenient way to ignore their kid, I am wholeheartedly in favor of them. :thumbsup2

Can you see that you made a mistake in attacking me? I agreed only with the line that I quoted. That line did not "condemn others".

It seems that you attacked me just because I agreed with something that someone else said just because you don't care for that other person. You didn't bother to actually read my post, you just went into "defensive post" mode...

I read your entire post--and can quote it verbatim if you like.

I did not attack you. I simply address your premise that said Never.

I gave the story of a family who thought they'd never lose a child to drowning and then you "laughed" at it.

So if you feel attacked, you can simply address it and allow someone to clarify. Laughing at the death of a child is simply mean.

Did I make a mistake? Only one. I presumed you could carry a proper discussion. It seems I was wrong.

We never used leashes with our kids. Instead, we wore coveralls made of velcro. That way we could just stick the kids to us when we got into crowds.

Is that a joke or are you serious? :)

As parents, my wife and I decided to only have 2 children because we felt that this was as much as we could handle while giving each child the focus that they needed. We also spread them out by 3 years to ensure that we could handle them when they were toddlers.

Parents make different decisions for different reasons. We wanted a bigger family, but made the decision that worked for us - one based on what we felt was best for our children.

I can see why a parent with too many toddlers or little ones might resort to a leash, but I cannot see why a parent with only one toddler would need to do so. I never take my eyes off of my boys when in crowded places, so I never needed a leash - even with the runner. My wife and I just took turns "watching" him while we shopped. If he ran, he knew that he was going in the cart for the remainder of the day - and he wanted his freedom, so he behaved (most of the time ;))...

I was a parent with one toddler and one preschooler who was alone at the Boston marathon to watch hubby. when you have manuevered the streets of boston on marathon day near the finish line with 2 small kids, you can talk to me about why someone would or would not need a harness for their toddler.
I had the double stroller, but brought along the harness just in case my toddler was not content to stay in the stroller.
every situation is different.

So then it is the parents fault when they lose a child then. Nice!

You speak from a naive viewpoint that your way is the only correct way to raise children.

I do think that when a parent loses a young child that it is the parent's/s' fault. You either keep a kid close to you or you don't take them to places where you cannot manage them.

I never said my way is the only correct way. But it certainly is the only correct way in my opinion based on my experience/knowledge.

I was a parent with one toddler and one preschooler who was alone at the Boston marathon to watch hubby. when you have manuevered the streets of boston on marathon day near the finish line with 2 small kids, you can talk to me about why someone would or would not need a harness for their toddler.
I had the double stroller, but brought along the harness just in case my toddler was not content to stay in the stroller.
every situation is different.

I'm a single mom of kids who are probably about the same age as yours. I have done this repeatedly. Disney World (several times) after Wishes on Main Street USA, pro sports events when they let out, etc. It can be difficult. If I couldn't handle it without a harness we wouldn't go. Safety (and dignity) first.

I read your entire post--and can quote it verbatim if you like.

I did not attack you. I simply address your premise that said Never.

I gave the story of a family who thought they'd never lose a child to drowning and then you "laughed" at it.

So if you feel attacked, you can simply address it and allow someone to clarify. Laughing at the death of a child is simply mean.

Did I make a mistake? Only one. I presumed you could carry a proper discussion. It seems I was wrong.
I laughed at your defensive response. You are being intellectually dishonest in your premise that I laughed at the story of the child's death. You know better. You are still being defensive. And you cannot admit that you made a mistake...:sad2:

Yeah, that is pretty funny...

If this were a bar DisneyBamaFan and LisaLovesPooh would be out in the back alley beating the crap out of each other by now.

With backpack leashes.

Disney Doll

I truly don't have the time, energy or inclination to care about how anyone interprets my "tone". Those who are defensive will be defensive. Those who don't give a flip will continue to not give a flip. Sarcasm remains one of the laziest forms of dissent.

We are all entitled to our own opinion. I stand by mine. Others are free to do the same.

I'm a single mom of kids who are probably about the same age as yours. I have done this repeatedly. Disney World (several times) after Wishes on Main Street USA, pro sports events when they let out, etc. It can be difficult. If I couldn't handle it without a harness we wouldn't go. Safety (and dignity) first.

Well thats fine for YOU. But for me, navigating Boston marathon crowds, wall to wall crowds, and factoring in city streets with traffic...........and also the fact that I don't live IN the city, so I don't do this regularly with the kids, well I had the harness as a back up just in case I needed it.
I wouldn't give a rats patooty what someone thought of me if I had used the harness that day. whats important to me is that I keep the kids safe and close in a situation like that.
I ended up not using the harness only because my toddler was just content to stay in the stroller, too much to look at I guess...........but I would have used if in a heart beat If he wanted to walk. and I wouldn't have cared one bit what anyone thought of it because I would have felt better keeping him attached to me and safe.

I have 3 kids and have never used a harness but would if I had had a 'runner', lol. I have a good friend who used one in certain circumstances with her youngest ds b/c that kid was so, so fast. We were at a beach party once when he wasn't even 2 yet and between the crowds, the hot grills and the ocean, I quickly understood why she had him in a harness.

:confused3 You sure do have a way with offending people, even though that, apparently, isn't your intention.

My husband and I can hold our heads up high. We are good parents, who are not embarrassed about keeping our children safe.

Guess what, all children are different. Just because you, with your awesome parenting skills, have kept your children safe without a harness, doesn't mean you'd be able to control all children that way.

I didn't use a harness until I had twins, and I found them much less restraining than a stroller, a tool that some parents use to hold their child hostage so they don't have to pay attention to him or her. Just belt them in, and push them around. god forbid kids get exercise. I'd rather my children be able to walk, and when you have 2 toddlers, it's just not possible NOT to use harnesses if you are by yourself, safely.

I'm guessing the parent dragging the child by the harness would've just dragged the child by the shirt if the harness wasn't there.

I really didn't mean for this to turn into a debate about whether or not parents should use the harness. I was sad and angry and upset that a mother would actually drag her child through a store the way she did and I thought most people here could sympathize and that most would agree that no adult in their right mind would ever drag a child like that, using a harness or not.

To those of you who are arguing constantly on this thread about who is more offending to the other - you really should take it to your pm's. I'm at the point that I don't even want to open this thread anymore because it's turned into a back and forth between people who are trying to prove who is more right and who is more offending.

Seriously??? Safety and dignity first?? You have got to be kidding! :rotfl: Safety is the main reason people use harnesses on thier young children! Dignity has nothing to do with it! When you care about your children and don't want anything to happen to them, sometimes a harness is the last resort. We thought about getting one for our DD when she was a little younger, because she is a runner. We bought it and she LOVED it - but we only used it once, because she started holding our hands very well after a little while. I know this is a hot topic on the Dis - but some of these comments are just ignorant. And the safety and dignity first comment ranks pretty high on that list. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter