• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*MODS* PLEASE MOVE TO TRIP REPORTS. THX....OCT 2007....KOTS and it's killing me...

That's cool.

On our fourth trip to WDW, we did not tell the kids. We told them that we were taking the plane to Valleyfair, which is only about 20 or 30 miles from the airport, but it was early in the morning, so they did not know what was going on.

They did not know we were going to WDW, until the Captain announced that we would be landing soon in Orlando.

It was a lot of fun, but I do not think that we will be able to fool them again.

Have fun, fun, fun.

Oooh, what fun - have a wonderful trip! We are driving down and leaving the same morning as you and crossing at Buffalo. Have a safe and fun trip - the girls will never forget it! We surprised our three kids in Dec. '99 for Christmas and they talk about it every time we plan a trip. It's worth it for you to keep the secret, especially after this long - way to go!:thumbsup2

I love hearing how some of you have done it before and that it is worth it! :)

Slight change of plans for us. :upsidedow I am really concerned about driving :drive:over the border and having to explain where we are going and the girls hearing :listen: and because of the US $ at par with our Cdn $ I have heard the border lines are getting longer so we may not have shopping time, etc. so we have changed our minds on when we tell........

New plan..........Friday, October 19th.........dd's 12th b-day and the night before we leave........we have decided to tell her that we are doing a small party (just family who knows) and we will give her her gift from Daddy & I....a "BINDER" :confused3 !!!! On the front page is a cover page with a castle. The next pages are tour plans for MK, AK, MGM & EPCOT. After is lists of rides at each park so the kids can look at them and decide their top 3 each while on the plane or in the car as we drive the 2/3 hours to Buffalo. At the very back are journal pages and the last page is our itinerary.....she won't GET it until she sees......It says.....OCTOBER 20 to 27 and has our park plans, ADR #'s, parade & park times for each day as well as our flight/stay info!! So we are just going to let her open it and read until it all CLICKS!!!! :faint:

I really liked the idea of the airport but there are so many ways of that going wrong and then my 10 months of secrecy wouldn't be as I hoped it would be. :sad2:

Telling at home the night before has it's advantages....the grandparents get to see their faces, I will be able to take video of the reveal, we can play Disney songs the whole way to the airport in the car and laugh and sing with our very happy girls the whole way there. I don't have to talk in whispers to the border patrol and I don't have to try to explain away 4 suitcases and the double stroller for a supposed 1 night stay!!:rolleyes:

:woohoo: Only 18 more days!!!!:woohoo:

iluveeyore - Have you always driven from Canada with your 3? See you crossing in Buffalo!! :wave2:

Rudy6 - That sounds awesome!! Why won't you do it again??? They would expect it or it's too hard to keep the secret? Just wondering......

Figment's Girl & MNWDWMANIAC - See you there!!!! I have my LGMH's laminated as tags on all our bags so if you see a crazy lady with a baby in a sling pushing a double stroller with a couple more kids and a blond girl walking along side.....that will be me! princess: princess: princess: princess:

:thumbsup2 Good plan telling them before you leave - good luck getting everyone to sleep the night before!
We drove for our surprise Christmas trip, but we usually fly out of Buffalo since it's so close and cheap. We're driving this time because it's DH's 40th birthday trip and we're going to the Nascar race in Martinsville, VA on the 21st before we continue the trip down to WDW on the 22nd. Otherwise, we would be flying - at least this breaks up the drive.
We told our kids their surprise before we crossed the border too - we were also concerned about them overhearing us telling the guard. We picked them up from school, said we were going Christmas shopping and they needed to go home to get lighter jackets for the mall (didn't want the bulky winter coats in the car). We made them put on their matching fleece sweaters and pose in front of the Christmas tree together - for the second picture, I told them sorry, we weren't going shopping, would they rather go to Walt Disney World for a week? The picture I have is priceless, three mouths hanging open in total shock!:woohoo: Enjoy your surprise - the look on their faces alone was worth the wait!

How have you managed to keep the secret so long? I booked bounceback when we were there in August for Sept 2008. After reading the boards, thought it'd be a great idea to surprise my 7 year old daughter, but already I've caught myself almost saying it. It'll be a miracle if I can pull this one off!!

Hello my fellow Canadian!!
YOU CAN DO IT!!!
I am the worst at secrets but I just thought of how amazing it would be and my hubby is great at secrets so everytime I would think of revealing he would say..."You've made it this long!" Are you going to try to keep the secret??

Thanks so much for the encouragement! You've inspired me, so I think as it draws closer I'll switch my focus to the plan to tell her. If it was this year, I almost think I could get away with telling her we were flying to visit her grandparents and see her face at the Orlando airport, cause she hardly paid any attention to flight announcements etc. Although going through customs might not work... But am thinking next year she'll be 8 and might be more clued in!

I have a long way to go yet, but yours is almost here! Please keep us updated on your surprise! I'm excited for you!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all Canadians today!

What a great plan! I hope you'll fill us all in on how they reacted and how your trip went. Good luck and have a wonderful time! :wizard:

I will be uploading it to youtube right away because my family is dying to see their reaction too!! I can't believe I have held on since January and now there are only 9 days left!!!!

party: SINGLE DIGIT DANCING!!!!party:

I thought the KOTS stood for Keeping October Trip Secret...lol
we'll be there from the 15th-26th....the kids will have lgmh on their lanyards with all my contact info....
I can't wait to see the pic of your kids reaction....:thumbsup2

Just 2 more days until we tell!!!!:cool1:

Anyone know how I get the mods to move this to "TRIP REPORTS"? :confused3 I would like to continue it there when we get back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter