Mods over value and a grand difference...which one

hockey mom

<font color=coral>Loves to do the Napkin Dance at
We are hoping to get free dining for 5 of us. We need and want 2 rooms. I want to stay value but DH really wants a mod. The price difference is a little over a grand. Do you think the money is worth it?

I'm in the same boat! :boat: When my dh and dad found out it would be 500 cheaper (each) they both said go for the value!:sad2: I was about to give in, but I've had my heart set on a mod for months. This will be our first trip staying onsite and Im spending the extra 500 (and my parents will too;) ) Im shure we'd still have fun at a value(after all its DISNEY:banana: ) but I figure i got a pretty good tax return this year so may as well go for the mod. On the other hand, If I had to pay for the whole trip myself and was saving $1000 I may go for the value:)

It depends. For my family of 4 we don't like the values anymore because we now spend more time at the resort. However if all we did was bath and sleep there I would say save the $1000 and stay at the values.

In our 4 trips to WDW since 2000, we've done ASMU twice and mod's (POFQ, CSR) twice. We did CSR last year but we were scheduled for POP. But, when I got to the checkin line at POP, I switched to CSR and was glad I did.
POFQ is great (my DS's favorite) as it's small so everything is close by. CSR spread out so there's no "crowd" feeling plus the landscaping is excellent.
The All Star resorts can be noisy at night and woe unto you if you get to the food court after 8:30 or so. Packed with a line just to get into the place. POFQ, OTOH, you walk in at any time and there's hardly any waiting.

Check Out the DVC treads on the Dis
You would be surprised at what you could get by renting points
You might be able to stay in a delux for the same price as a Mod.

Good Luck
Searl

Our family is staying at ASmusic and would love to stay at POFQ but it is a $600 difference. We talked to our kids, who also love POFQ, and told them that if we stay and the ASM it would mean more money to spend on souvineers and that made our decision right away. We will be at the ASM and enjoying every minute of it. We will rent a fridge though and our oldest will be sleeping on a blow up mattress.

CSR is a very good moderate choice. Check out my site below for info to help with your decision.

I would say it all depends on how much time you actually spend in your room. Our stays are 10 days and we have at least two down days where we sleep in, take our time getting ready, explore the resort and then do whatever. Given that, the room size means a little more to us than it would if we were there for just 5 or 6 days and spent the entire time park touring.

We originally booked a stay at the Caribbean Beach Resort but a couple of months later decided we really didn't want to spend the extra money on "just a room". So, we changed to the Pop Century Resort. Just about three weeks later, we started getting nervous about the room size and changed back to the Caribbean Beach Resort. I am so glad we did!

From the minute we drove onto the CBR's grounds, we loved it. The resort is spread out but that's part of its appeal. Because of it's size, the guests never feel crowded.

The village buildings are all painted bright cheerful colors. Tropical trees, fruit trees and shrubbery are planted everywhere. Each of the villages has their own white sandy beach and quiet pool.

We were assigned to Jamaica Building 41. We had requested an upstairs, non-smoking room in the village of Jamaica and that's just what we got. Our room faced a very pretty courtyard which had benches and tables for the guests. The walk to the Jamaica pool and beach was less than a minute. It took about 3 minutes to get to the bus stop and just about 5 minutes to get to Old Port Royale.

The rooms at the CBR are 340 square feet and, believe me, when you get everything and everybody in the room, you'll be thankful for the extra square footage.

Unless you request a king bed room, your room will have two beds which are raised off the floor. This is a nice storage area for your empty luggage. The mattresses were replaced in June, 2006 (during our stay) and they were quite comfy. A small nightstand is between the two beds. There is a table and two chairs in the bedroom area. A large mirror hangs above the table. The television is enclosed in a wooden armoire which has three large drawers and two lingerie size drawers. A dorm size refrigerator comes standard (no extra cost) in the CBR rooms. There is a large padded bench that has a very deep drawer beneath. Great for storing all your purchases. Above the bench is a peg type shelf where you can hang hats and backpacks.

The sink/closet area is fairly large. Two sinks are built into a long wooden cabinet and there are two storage areas beneath the sinks. The closet rod was pretty long and about a dozen hangers were there already. We brought along another two dozen and still had room to hang more stuff. A privacy curtain can be pulled to separate the bedroom from the vanity area. Nice when everyone is trying to get ready at once. There is a small safe in the closet wall.

The toilet and bathtub area is the typical size but was extremely clean. No loose tiles, no mold or mildew.

An iron, ironing board, hairdryer and coffe maker are all standard at the CBR.

Mousekeeping was great while we were there. They came in daily and cleaned the room thoroughly. We never had to call for extra toiletries, linens or towels. They were always provided as was coffee, sugar and creamer packets. We also received four towel animals during our stay.

The CBR was one of the quietest resorts we had ever stayed in. We never heard our next door neighbors. No running water, no flushing toilets, no televisions, no talking, no nothing!

We rented surrey bikes and watermice at the marina. You could also rent canoes, pontoon boats, bicycles and sail boats. The promenade around the resort lake is a little over 1 mile and makes for a nice stroll.

The island in the middle of the lake was very pretty and we found several benches and gliders set up among the lush foliage. We saw several families having picnics on the island.

Tropical music plays throughout the resort and it keeps you in a festive mood. The main pool was pretty crowded while we were there in June but we really didn't care because we swam in the Jamaica quiet pool and, sometimes, we had it all to ourselves.

You can order a frozen drink from the Banana Cabana and sit at one of the umbrella tables if you would like. There is also a hair wrap station and hot tub near the main pool.

You will find a wide variety of foods to choose from at the food court. At breakfast, there were Mickey waffles, omelets, eggs, breakfast meats, fresh baked items, etc. At lunch and dinner, you can order chicken strips, burgers, deli/sub sandwiches, pasta, pizza, rotissiere chicken and veggies, fresh bakery items, salads, etc. There are microwaves and toasters located in the food court.

The store was a pleasant surprise. One side sold Caribbean Beach Resort themed items such as swim suits, sandals, flip flops, shorts, jewelry, etc. The other side sold the more typical Disney merchandise such as snowglobes, autograph books, t-shirts, toys, hats, etc.

The arcade is not super huge but it was never super crowded either. You purchase a refillable playing card which you simply swipe on each game. No keeping up with tokens or coins.

The bus transportation ran very efficiently during our stay. Sometimes there were two and three buses at the bus station at once waiting to pick up or drop off. There is an internal resort bus if you don't want to walk.

If it were me and I planned on spending any real amount of time at the resort, I would spend the extra money and stay at the CBR. We are headed back to the CBR in just 52 days and I can hardly wait to laze around the Jamaica beach and watch the Epcot fireworks at night!

Hope this helped in your decision making process, Lisa

Forgot to mention at there is a full service restaurant, Shutter's, onsite at the CBR. The food was delicious and even our 9 year old picky eater found something he liked there.

Our family is staying at ASmusic and would love to stay at POFQ but it is a $600 difference. We talked to our kids, who also love POFQ, and told them that if we stay and the ASM it would mean more money to spend on souvineers and that made our decision right away. We will be at the ASM and enjoying every minute of it. We will rent a fridge though and our oldest will be sleeping on a blow up mattress.

My wife and I feel the same as your kids. We just can't seem to justify the extra $$$ when we'd rather spend it on souvenirs. We've stayed at both Movies and Music, and we've never been disappointed. I think the key to the values is to not pick a preferred room. We seem to get stuck in the back of the resort (away from the pool), and the walk to the FC is the only downside. Also, the crowds at the food court don't bother us, as we only go there for refrills.

Another reason we feel good with the values is that we use part of our savings to get a rental car. I really don't like being at the mercy of the Disney buses. They do a good job, for the most part, but try to get a bus back to the resort at 9 am, when your kid gets sick. It took me 3 phone calls to get one dispatched but I digress.

We leave in 61 days for CBR, this will be our 2nd onsite trip to Disney. My son picked the resort because he liked it so much the last time. The 340 sq ft really do come in handy when you have two adults and two teens. We never felt crowed the last time because of the way the resort is laid out. My DH really doesn't like crowds that much, I think he just goes to Disney to please me. We are traveling with friends this time and look forward to sharing CBR with them. For myself, I'll always chose mod over value if possible....

Thanks for the replies everyone. Dh just announced he wants to rent boats during our stay so it looks like it will be POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter